Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Apr 2014, 14:30

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all Michigan (Ross) Fall 2009 Applicants!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
VP
VP
Schools: Tuck
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 112 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling Michigan Ross School of Business Applicants - 2009! [#permalink] New post 22 Sep 2008, 07:34
prospect wrote:
Hey guys,

on the online application I did not see any place to upload a scanned copy of my transcripts? Do I need to email them directly or did I totally miss it on the app?

You missed it. I already uploaded mine.

RF
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 3

Re: Calling Michigan Ross School of Business Applicants - 2009! [#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2008, 00:16
Quote:
Writing essays adhering to the word limit is tough.

Tough is an understatement. I started off with a 580 word career goal essay. Brought it down to 534 now. This essay is testing my editing skills to the hilt. I am thinking if I should leave it at that (hoping they wont mind +-10%). What are you guys doing?
Current Student
Schools: CBS, Cornell, Duke, Ross, Darden
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 182 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling Michigan Ross School of Business Applicants - 2009! [#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2008, 08:04
connecticket wrote:
Quote:
Writing essays adhering to the word limit is tough.

Tough is an understatement. I started off with a 580 word career goal essay. Brought it down to 534 now. This essay is testing my editing skills to the hilt. I am thinking if I should leave it at that (hoping they wont mind +-10%). What are you guys doing?

Wow, my first draft of the goals essay was more near 750 words! I think I've managed to bring it down to about 570. My gf is a great writer, so she has no problem telling me what to cut. :-D I plan to be at or below the limit. I'm the conservative type and unless it specifically says recommended (i.e., Columbia) or has strange guidelines (i.e., Tuck), I'm sticking to the rules. The way I see it is that thousands of people have been able to stick to the rules over the years. My case is no more different or special than any of the other folks that have been admitted at Ross (or any other top school), so I will stick to the limits. 34 words is maybe 1-1.5 sentences. Have someone else take a pass at your essay. I guarantee you can get it to 500 or below.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 3

Re: Calling Michigan Ross School of Business Applicants - 2009! [#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2008, 12:42
ryguy904 wrote:
The way I see it is that thousands of people have been able to stick to the rules over the years. My case is no more different or special than any of the other folks that have been admitted at Ross (or any other top school), so I will stick to the limits. 34 words is maybe 1-1.5 sentences. Have someone else take a pass at your essay. I guarantee you can get it to 500 or below.

Ok. I see your point. Another thing I just realized was, Ross uses the word 'maximum' while specifying the limit, which probably suggests they do not appreciate the rule being flouted.

By GF is no good at reviewing ;). Will find someone else for the task :).
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Tuck, Ross (R1), Duke, Tepper, ISB (R2), Kenan Flagler (R2)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling Michigan Ross School of Business Applicants - 2009! [#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2008, 12:57
In the alternate career essay, has anyone defined what is a multidisciplinary problem ? I thought it was an interesting way to structure that essay. I did not do so till yesterday, when I completely revamped my essay.

This is the structure I have now :
a) My interest/passion 'abc' would drive me to pursue career related to 'abc'. Defined the long term goal for my alternate career here

b) In order to achieve the long term (alternate) goals, would need mutidiscplinary skills. Defined what are multidisplinary skills and how they help solve multidisciplinary problems

c) Went in to details of my alternate profession (something like a short term goals section in essay 1)

d) Related to the points made in point c and explained how they were multidisciplinary based on my definition in point b and how from these experiences, I will be effective in solving such problems. Concluded

What do you guys think ?
And if you don't mind, can you share the structure you followed..This is really a curve ball question..I did not find it in any of the MBA essay books ...
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling Michigan Ross School of Business Applicants - 2009! [#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2008, 17:07
ryguy904 wrote:
rgajare14 wrote:
In the alternate career essay, has anyone defined what is a multidisciplinary problem ? I thought it was an interesting way to structure that essay. I did not do so till yesterday, when I completely revamped my essay.

a) My interest/passion 'abc' would drive me to pursue career related to 'abc'. Defined the long term goal for my alternate career here

b) In order to achieve the long term (alternate) goals, would need mutidiscplinary skills. Defined what are multidisplinary skills and how they help solve multidisciplinary problems

c) Went in to details of my alternate profession (something like a short term goals section in essay 1)

d) Related to the points made in point c and explained how they were multidisciplinary based on my definition in point b and how from these experiences, I will be effective in solving such problems. Concluded

What do you guys think ?
And if you don't mind, can you share the structure you followed..This is really a curve ball question..I did not find it in any of the MBA essay books ...

Ross Essay 3
My "definition" of an MD problem is purely something that will require me to rely upon multiple skillsets. That can be interpreted as marketing, strategy, and statistics, or communication skills and leadership. I don't define an MD problem in my essay, I use examples to illustrate this (the good ol' fashioned "show don't tell" theory you learn from elementary school).

Also, it's a 300 word essay. I don't know how you'll be able to pull off all of the detail you are suggesting. I did a word count on your hi-level explanation and that was 100 words right there.

Here's my pretty detailed approach (I'm not saying it's right, just telling you what I did).

1) I like to do <insert interest X here> because of a, b, and c. If I were not pursuing my goals as stated in Essay 1, I would do <insert job associated with interest X> [4 sentences]

2) Because I have experience/interest in a, b, and c, I will be good at solving multidisciplinary problems because b allows me to do this and c allows me to do this, things which will be helpful for solving multidisciplinary problems. [5 sentences]

3) I go a step further and show a specific real-life example of how I already leveraged my interest in X to help solve a multidisciplinary problem. [3 sentences]

Word count: 297

So are you writing about a specific MDP? I had to change from specific to general because of the word limit.
Current Student

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling Michigan Ross School of Business Applicants - 2009! [#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2008, 17:39
aakashganga wrote:
So are you writing about a specific MDP? I had to change from specific to general because of the word limit.

Paragraph 2 is general
Paragraph 3 is one specific real-life example
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling Michigan Ross School of Business Applicants - 2009! [#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2008, 17:44
ryguy904 wrote:
rgajare14 wrote:

What do you guys think ?

Ross Essay 3
My "definition" of an MD problem is purely something that will require me to rely upon multiple skillsets. That can be interpreted as marketing, strategy, and statistics, or communication skills and leadership. I don't define an MD problem in my essay, I use examples to illustrate this (the good ol' fashioned "show don't tell" theory you learn from elementary school).

Also, it's a 300 word essay. I don't know how you'll be able to pull off all of the detail you are suggesting. I did a word count on your hi-level explanation and that was 100 words right there.

Here's my pretty detailed approach (I'm not saying it's right, just telling you what I did).

1) I like to do <insert interest X here> because of a, b, and c. If I were not pursuing my goals as stated in Essay 1, I would do <insert job associated with interest X> [4 sentences]

2) Because I have experience/interest in a, b, and c, I will be good at solving multidisciplinary problems because b allows me to do this and c allows me to do this, things which will be helpful for solving multidisciplinary problems. [5 sentences]

3) I go a step further and show a specific real-life example of how I already leveraged my interest in X to help solve a multidisciplinary problem. [3 sentences]

Word count: 297

Thanks for sharing your structure. It interesting to know how others have approached this question. I like the way you have structured yours.

I think for the most part our structures are similar. The only major difference that I see is in point No 2. You are explaining how your interest, a,b, and c contributed to your effectiveness in MDP. Whereas, I am explaining how my alternate career/job (a result of my interests, but not the interest itself) will contribute to my effectiveness. I don't know which is more desirable. And maybe both are equally right or wrong.

The only reason I chose the way I did is because I thought the question wanted me to go a step further, put on a creative cap and draw an alternate career. So instead of explaining how the origin of my alternate career i.e. my interests will help solve MDP, I used my imaginative career to do that.

But seriously, still I am almost equally unsure about this question as I was when I was writing this. And I am certainly not yet done. I am way over the word limit (372)..This has to come below 330. :-D Happy editing !
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling Michigan Ross School of Business Applicants - 2009! [#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2008, 04:33
I think this is one essay that will have interpretations across the spectrum.

Multidisciplinary need not be limited to the different facets of a business.. it could well be multidisciplinary problems related to personality , society (for those whose alternate careers span musician, athlete, teacher etc)

what I have done so far

State my alternate career.show how it is multidisciplinary in nature in a line (i have not been explicit about the term "multidisciplinary" anywhere) (Para 1)

Cite very specific examples that show why its best suited for me and wht have I done so far. (Para 2 and 3)

Round up by expanding on the multidisciplinary issues that can be solved by the alternate career. (Para 4)

I have wrapped it up in 289 words.
Current Student
Schools: Ross '12 (MBA/MS)

Kudos [?]: 61 [0], given: 34

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling Michigan Ross School of Business Applicants - 2009! [#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2008, 13:11
This one's a toughie, especially with the 300 word limit. I'm personally going to talk about my extracurricular activity. I'm pretty involved with a non-profit organization that aims to help inner city high school students raise GPAs, graduation rates, and admission to colleges through the facilitation of corporate and minority basketball leagues. So on one hand, we have to deal with running the basketball leagues and on the other hand, we have to devise ways of providing these kids with learning opportunities through unique and interesting jobs. Then I'll talk about how this multidisciplinary experience will help me when I pursue my MBA/MS dual degree through the Erb Institute. Throw in some stuff about my multi-functional career goals and...VIOLA! Essay 3 finished!

Now all I have to do is write it...:rotate
Current Student

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling Michigan Ross School of Business Applicants - 2009! [#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2008, 18:07
refurb wrote:
I did my Ross visit on the 25th and it was time well spent! There were 8-9 other people visiting (including YihWei!!). You have a 40 min small-group Q&A session with a current student (2nd year who were very open to any question), then you get a 40 minute tour (only a small part of the new building is accessible right now). Then you sit in on a class (I did Marketing analytics, dry material but the professor was good), then lunch with a couple other Ross students. I stayed for an additional class after lunch (Competitive analysis) which was very interesting. It was a case-study that mixed strategy with game theory. Great professor.

The visit plus my conversations with the current students just cemented in mind the exceptional quality of Ross. I'm looking to stay in the health care field and Ross pulls every single TOP health care company. In talking with the health care club rep, she told me that another major pharmaceutical company contacted HER and wanted to come recruit on campus. Very impressive.

My impressions of the city haven't changed much since I last lived in Ann Arbor. GREAT city. It's a small city, but very vibrant. Lots of restaurants, reasonable cost of living, lots of stuff to do around town.

Hopefully YihWei can post about his impression and what he learned at the happy hour that day! :wink:

RF

Glad to hear you had a great time! Watching the game against Wisconsin today was enough to make sure that Michigan remained on my short list. :-D
VP
VP
Schools: Chicago Booth '11
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 141 [0], given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling Michigan Ross School of Business Applicants - 2009! [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2008, 16:45
YihWei wrote:
This one's a toughie, especially with the 300 word limit. I'm personally going to talk about my extracurricular activity. I'm pretty involved with a non-profit organization that aims to help inner city high school students raise GPAs, graduation rates, and admission to colleges through the facilitation of corporate and minority basketball leagues. So on one hand, we have to deal with running the basketball leagues and on the other hand, we have to devise ways of providing these kids with learning opportunities through unique and interesting jobs. Then I'll talk about how this multidisciplinary experience will help me when I pursue my MBA/MS dual degree through the Erb Institute. Throw in some stuff about my multi-functional career goals and...VIOLA! Essay 3 finished!

Now all I have to do is write it...:rotate

I think this doesn't exactly answer the question. What profession would you choose? Non-profit coordinator? It seems as though you are already doing this though.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling Michigan Ross School of Business Applicants - 2009! [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2008, 17:42
Well, I'm in.

Just submitted my app and paid my fee. Just waiting on the recs now.

Best of luck to everyone. Seems we should start hearing interview invites by mid-October, so let the waiting game begin!

~Sam
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling Michigan Ross School of Business Applicants - 2009! [#permalink] New post 29 Sep 2008, 15:45
sam77sam7 wrote:
Well, I'm in.

Just submitted my app and paid my fee. Just waiting on the recs now.

Best of luck to everyone. Seems we should start hearing interview invites by mid-October, so let the waiting game begin!

~Sam

That early ? I thought the adcoms may take at least two weeks to review hundreds of applications that they may be getting. But anyway, earlier the better.

Do you have an idea about what will the period during which they will interview ? When are the slots that they create ? As early as Nov 1st week ? Do we get a choice typically in such Invite only interviews ?
Current Student
Schools: Kellogg '11 (MMM)
WE 1: Engineer at a Food & Beverage Company
WE 2: Engineer at an Automotive Supplier
WE 3: Consultant at a Management Consulting Firm
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling Michigan Ross School of Business Applicants - 2009! [#permalink] New post 29 Sep 2008, 17:52
I'm doing my class visit this week. What is the dress code for these things? I was thinking about Khakis and a nice button-down shirt.

Thoughts?

"You can only be young once. But you can always be immature."

VP
VP

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling Michigan Ross School of Business Applicants - 2009! [#permalink] New post 29 Sep 2008, 18:06
balki1867 wrote:
I'm doing my class visit this week. What is the dress code for these things? I was thinking about Khakis and a nice button-down shirt.

Thoughts?

I did my visit last week. You'll be fine in Khakis and a nice long sleeve shirt.

One girl was actually in jeans and a t-shirt!

RF
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling Michigan Ross School of Business Applicants - 2009! [#permalink] New post 30 Sep 2008, 04:02
rgajare14 wrote:
That early ? I thought the adcoms may take at least two weeks to review hundreds of applications that they may be getting. But anyway, earlier the better.

Do you have an idea about what will the period during which they will interview ? When are the slots that they create ? As early as Nov 1st week ? Do we get a choice typically in such Invite only interviews ?

Check out this article regarding interviews and decisions -

http://www.bus.umich.edu/NewsRoom/Artic ... s_id=13510
Current Student

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling Michigan Ross School of Business Applicants - 2009! [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2008, 10:00
I went to the Ross info session in LA on Monday. There were about 30-40 people in attendance with a noticeably good percentage of females, at least relative to the other info sessions that I have been to (Wharton, CBS, Chicago). The associate direction of admissions gave about a 15-20 minute presentation, which was followed by 30 minutes of Q&A with alumni and another 30 minutes of mingling and networking. As far as the brief presentation goes, I have to say I was a bit turned off, because it seemed as if it was being read from a script. The way that the presentation was given, the use of language and atypical vocabulary (fluffy stuff you'd read in a brochure), transition phrases, etc. seemed scripted. It came across as superficial. I found out that the assoc. director is a Ross grad, so I was a bit surprised as to why she would script her presentation (one would she she would naturally have cultivated some communication skills)... It won't deter me from applying, but that was definitely a turn off for me. The mingling with the alumni was extremely valuable and definitely the highlight of the night.
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling Michigan Ross School of Business Applicants - 2009! [#permalink] New post 04 Oct 2008, 10:51
Hi

All of you great people applying to Ross, please note that the CitiAssist Loan program has been rescinded by Citi and (*this affects internationals a LOT*) and there is no longer a loan program without a co-signer.

Please keep this in mind while you are applying so there are no surprises later.

Saurabh
VP
VP

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling Michigan Ross School of Business Applicants - 2009! [#permalink] New post 04 Oct 2008, 11:17
R1 application submitted!

:)

RF
Re: Calling Michigan Ross School of Business Applicants - 2009!   [#permalink] 04 Oct 2008, 11:17