Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Jul 2014, 22:10

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all Michigan (Ross) Fall 2009 Applicants!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Current Student
Schools: Ross '12 (MBA/MS)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 64 [0], given: 34

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling Michigan Ross School of Business Applicants - 2009! [#permalink] New post 17 Jul 2008, 15:29
dosa_don wrote:
Merged :)

Thanks, dosa. Did I just completely miss the one that sam77sam7 made?

Profile | GMAT | Erb Institute

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Darden '15
GMAT Date: 12-07-2011
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling Michigan Ross School of Business Applicants - 2009! [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2008, 09:02
I case you were wondering why they moved the R1 deadline ....

http://www.bus.umich.edu/NewsRoom/Artic ... s_id=13510

GO BLUE !!!

Manager
Manager
Schools: The School that shall not be named
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling Michigan Ross School of Business Applicants - 2009! [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2008, 12:14
Hm... about 1 month earlier...
Not sure if I have time to finish all the essays....
So many essays, so little time

Anyways, I am debating between UM & Duke.
Which one is better for going toward the consulting route?
Both look pretty good but I don't see one standing out over the other....

明日やろうばかやろう

24 wrote:
Your East Coast bias is worse than ESPN.

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling Michigan Ross School of Business Applicants - 2009! [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2008, 12:36
Fatb,

I think both Ross and Fuqua provide good opportunities for consulting. Ross especially is known for a strong over-all program, but I don't think you can go wrong with either.

If I got into both, I think I would choose UMich, based on it's brand name appeal world-wide, plus I believe it has the largest alumni base of any school in the world.

~Sam

Disclaimer: I am from Michigan, but went to Michigan State.
Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling Michigan Ross School of Business Applicants - 2009! [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2008, 13:57
Thanks for the input, Sam. :-D

I am leaning toward ROSS because a friend of mine is actually doing PhD in UM.
Kinda for the wrong reason... I know.
But, as far as consulting goes, I really cannot say if one school has the advantage over another after the ultra elite group.

Anyways, I'll worry about the rest after finishing Columbia's essay....

明日やろうばかやろう

24 wrote:

Current Student
Schools: CBS, Cornell, Duke, Ross, Darden
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 184 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling Michigan Ross School of Business Applicants - 2009! [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2008, 15:22
Darden2010 wrote:
I case you were wondering why they moved the R1 deadline ....

http://www.bus.umich.edu/NewsRoom/Artic ... s_id=13510

Does anyone know if Ross is known for a wait and see approach (i.e., lots of Rd 1 WL's)?

From the news posting:

"Those interested in applying to the Full-time MBA Program are encouraged to do so in Round One for two reasons. First, applicants who are placed on the waiting list in Round One will have two additional opportunities for review in the second and third rounds...."
SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 82 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling Michigan Ross School of Business Applicants - 2009! [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2008, 04:52
ryguy904 wrote:
Does anyone know if Ross is known for a wait and see approach (i.e., lots of Rd 1 WL's)?

From the news posting:

"Those interested in applying to the Full-time MBA Program are encouraged to do so in Round One for two reasons. First, applicants who are placed on the waiting list in Round One will have two additional opportunities for review in the second and third rounds...."

I noticed that as well. It seems like Ross is indirectly saying that they will accept only highly qualified candidates in the first round.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling Michigan Ross School of Business Applicants - 2009! [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2008, 05:31
I think they are just stating what happens at most schools...

I believe all schools follow the same policy, and I think Ross may just be putting it out there. But your speculation may be correct as well...

~Sam
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling Michigan Ross School of Business Applicants - 2009! [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2008, 23:55
I'm looking into UMich and the more I look the more I like :)

I need a sales pitch to jump into the boat. Anyone?

I'm interested primarily in MC and IB :twisted:
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling Michigan Ross School of Business Applicants - 2009! [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2008, 05:46
Is the new Ross building completed? Has anyone visited it?
SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 82 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling Michigan Ross School of Business Applicants - 2009! [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2008, 07:25
bherronp wrote:
fooFighter wrote:
Is the new Ross building completed? Has anyone visited it?

I toured it at GBR. The outside was done at that point but the inside was still a shell. Last I heard they still expected it to be ready for winter semester this year (so like Jan 2009).

That'd be pretty sweet.

btw, the gmap street view is not exactly recent. I saw a view of my old car on it.
Current Student
Schools: Duke, UCLA, Cornell, Ross,Tuck, Haas

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling Michigan Ross School of Business Applicants - 2009! [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2008, 11:05
I visited Ross last week. We were supposed to get a virtual tour of the building , but there were some technical difficulties... :) . I did walk around and managed to get a good look at it. It looks fantastic and yeah they mentioned it will be ready by Jan 09.
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling Michigan Ross School of Business Applicants - 2009! [#permalink] New post 31 Jul 2008, 15:04
Hey guys,

Fall 09 applicant here. Can anyone talk about living in Detroit? The reason I have been contemplating about Ross is location. Detroit is really struggling with high foreclosure rates and high unemployment rates. The crime rate in the city is also increasing. Should a married person whose wife wants to work in the city while he is pursuing his FT MBA give a thought to this scenario during his school selection. The other thing is weather. How bad does it get?

Apart from these 2 things, I find Ross to be a wonderful school to be in..
VP
VP
Schools: Tuck
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 117 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling Michigan Ross School of Business Applicants - 2009! [#permalink] New post 31 Jul 2008, 16:31
aakashganga wrote:
Hey guys,

Fall 09 applicant here. Can anyone talk about living in Detroit? The reason I have been contemplating about Ross is location. Detroit is really struggling with high foreclosure rates and high unemployment rates. The crime rate in the city is also increasing. Should a married person whose wife wants to work in the city while he is pursuing his FT MBA give a thought to this scenario during his school selection. The other thing is weather. How bad does it get?

Apart from these 2 things, I find Ross to be a wonderful school to be in..

First off, you're not in Detroit, you're in Ann Arbor. It's a good 20-30 minute drive, just to get to the Detroit airport (which still isn't in Detroit). Detroit proper is a ~45 min drive from Ann Arbor.

Ann Arbor is a beautiful city. Almost half of the population is either students or faculty of UMich. The city is very trendy and kinda bohemian. A lot of really great restaurants for such a small town. Lots of art fairs, etc. Practically no crime at all.

The real estate market in Michigan as a whole is tanking. I left Ann Arbor a year ago and property had dropped ~30% in value. It's down almost 50% from what I've heard from people still there.

I think it would be a great place for a married MBA student to go because if your significant other can't find a job in Ann Arbor, there are plenty of good sized towns east of the city (Detroit suburbs).

The weather isn't that nice. It gets pretty dam cold in January through March (highs below freezing). It tends to be pretty cloudy too. Not a lot of snow, but it stays cold enough that the snow sticks around. I actually found the west side of Michigan to have nicer winters (more snow, but warmer).

Hope that helps.

RF

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Current Student

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling Michigan Ross School of Business Applicants - 2009! [#permalink] New post 31 Jul 2008, 17:34
Hey Refurb,

Thanks. But, since my wife works for a bank, I thought the nearest location for her would be Detroit downtown. I may be wrong. How good is the public transport in and around Ann Arbor? From what I recollect, Ann Arbor to Detroit downtown is good enough distance.
Current Student
Schools: R1: HBS(A), Kellogg(A), Michigan(A), Duke(A), Wharton(D)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling Michigan Ross School of Business Applicants - 2009! [#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2008, 04:36
In for R1!
Current Student
WE 1: Hi-tech Product Development
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 71 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling Michigan Ross School of Business Applicants - 2009! [#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2008, 08:41
AWESOME! So nice to see the Ross-09 thread :-) I just got into AA last week and all I can say is U-Mich is fantastic! The people, the facilities, the town - I knew it would be good, but not this good - heh heh! All the best to all the 09-ers. We'll see you here in AA next year!

VP
VP
Schools: Tuck
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 117 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling Michigan Ross School of Business Applicants - 2009! [#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2008, 13:11
aakashganga wrote:
Hey Refurb,

Thanks. But, since my wife works for a bank, I thought the nearest location for her would be Detroit downtown. I may be wrong. How good is the public transport in and around Ann Arbor? From what I recollect, Ann Arbor to Detroit downtown is good enough distance.

Oh I'm sorry. I assumed that you thought the school was close to downtown Detroit.

Ann Arbor is a hippy town, so the public transit (at least in the core of the city) is pretty good. Public transit between towns isn't that great from what I know (which isn't much).

Yeah, Detroit is a good haul from Ann Arbor. However, downtown Detroit isn't that big of an area. Most of the "Detroit" is in the suburbs, Royal Oak (very nice), Canton, Westland, Dearborn, Livonia. Very typical American suburbs. The nasty part of Detroit is near the downtown area and it is VERY nasty.

I can't say where your wife might end up working (I'm sure there are plenty of banking jobs outside the downtown), but if she does take a job downtown you might end up living in Canton or Westland, so both your commutes are in the 30 min range. Both places are typical middle-class suburbs.

I hope that helps.

I've lived in a few US cities and towns and I think Ann Arbor really is something special. It combines the small town feel, but has a lot more stuff to do than a town it's size typically would. It's hip, cool and safe. If you're up for a big city trip, Detroit is close.

RF

Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling Michigan Ross School of Business Applicants - 2009! [#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2008, 14:00
In for R1!
Will visit mid August when I was "on my way" to visit Kellogg
Need to do more research on the school before the trip :|

明日やろうばかやろう

24 wrote:

Current Student

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling Michigan Ross School of Business Applicants - 2009! [#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2008, 14:48
Thanks Refurb. You are aswesome!!!
Re: Calling Michigan Ross School of Business Applicants - 2009!   [#permalink] 01 Aug 2008, 14:48