Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Apr 2014, 03:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all Michigan (Ross) Fall 2009 Applicants!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Current Student
Schools: Ross '12 (MBA/MS)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 61 [0], given: 34

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling Michigan Ross School of Business Applicants - 2009! [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2008, 01:49
So, when's everybody visiting campus? I'll most likely be there on Friday, September 26th, and then stay for the Wisconsin game on the 27th! :rotate
Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling Michigan Ross School of Business Applicants - 2009! [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2008, 07:48
Just to build on the earlier comments regarding Detroit, et al.

Most of your financial, banking, big corporations are going to be located in the burbs. Troy, Birmingham, West Bloomfield, Bloomfield Hills, and Royal Oak are the richest areas, great neighborhoods, and lots of large businesses (BCG for instance, is located in Troy. McKinsey is in Detroit however.)

Downtown Detroit does have a couple nice areas, like Gross Pointe, and Gross Isle. And the area around Tiger Stadium and the Fox Theatre is very nice.

Ann Arbor as a whole is beautiful. It is a great city, with a huge proportion of the population having college degrees, and more. Like refurb said, it has a liberal feel. Troy, and the cities I mentioned above are about 30-45 minutes from Ann Arbor. But there is NO public transportation that will take you between the two. There is a bus system in Ann Arbor that you can get around on, but other than that, there is zero city-to-city transportation that I know of. A car is a must if you plan to commute.

Hope this helps. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask me. I grew up in Michigan all my life, went to Michigan State, and have spent some significant time in Ann Arbor since my girlfriend went to Michigan. I am happy to help!

~Sam
Manager
Manager
Schools: The School that shall not be named

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling Michigan Ross School of Business Applicants - 2009! [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2008, 10:26
YihWei wrote:
So, when's everybody visiting campus? I'll most likely be there on Friday, September 26th, and then stay for the Wisconsin game on the 27th! :rotate

I'll be there next Friday... take a look at an empty campus!

明日やろうばかやろう

24 wrote:
Your East Coast bias is worse than ESPN.

VP
VP
Schools: Tuck
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 112 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling Michigan Ross School of Business Applicants - 2009! [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2008, 13:25
YihWei wrote:

Since I'm coming from the east coast, I'm going to try and hit Cornell, then Michigan in one trip (by car).

I'm hoping to get my app in by R1, so I want to get there mid-Sept.

RF
Manager
Manager
Schools: The School that shall not be named

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling Michigan Ross School of Business Applicants - 2009! [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2008, 13:41
refurb wrote:
Since I'm coming from the east coast, I'm going to try and hit Cornell, then Michigan in one trip (by car).

RF

Going to Michigan by car is just.. ouch.
Flying to Detroit is only about $200 per person, with everything included.
You might want to think twice about driving :|

明日やろうばかやろう

24 wrote:
Your East Coast bias is worse than ESPN.

Current Student

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling Michigan Ross School of Business Applicants - 2009! [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2008, 14:09
refurb wrote:
YihWei wrote:

RF

Dang, that's some road trip. Are you driving through Canada or going south through Pennsylvania and Ohio? Either way that's a helluva drive! Also, mid-September is no fun. Away at ND on the 13th and then a bye on the 20th :lol:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Darden '15
GMAT Date: 12-07-2011
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling Michigan Ross School of Business Applicants - 2009! [#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2008, 09:24
fatb wrote:
YihWei wrote:

I'll be there next Friday... take a look at an empty campus!

Hey don't worry the campus won't be empty!! We have some accounting waiver class starting on the 11th (which is not required but many people are taking it), and the required part of the orientation starts on 21st, so I am sure many people will be in town. You probably won't be able to attend a class :(

GO BLUE !!!

VP
VP

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling Michigan Ross School of Business Applicants - 2009! [#permalink] New post 11 Aug 2008, 13:05
fatb wrote:
refurb wrote:

RF

Going to Michigan by car is just.. ouch.
Flying to Detroit is only about $200 per person, with everything included.
You might want to think twice about driving :|

Well, I'm rolling the Cornell visit into my trip. Six hours to Cornell, then another six to Ann Arbor. If I wasn't visiting Cornell, I'd be flying!

RF
VP
VP

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling Michigan Ross School of Business Applicants - 2009! [#permalink] New post 11 Aug 2008, 13:07
YihWei wrote:
refurb wrote:
YihWei wrote:

RF

Dang, that's some road trip. Are you driving through Canada or going south through Pennsylvania and Ohio? Either way that's a helluva drive! Also, mid-September is no fun. Away at ND on the 13th and then a bye on the 20th :lol:

I drove it once when I left Ann Arbor, about a 12 hour drive on a good day, through OH and PA. I'm visiting Cornell on the way there, so i won't have to drive it all at once (at least on the way there).

RF
Current Student
Schools: CBS, Cornell, Duke, Ross, Darden
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 182 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling Michigan Ross School of Business Applicants - 2009! [#permalink] New post 11 Aug 2008, 13:16
refurb wrote:
I'm visiting Cornell on the way there, so i won't have to drive it all at once (at least on the way there).

RF

Let us know how both schools are. I'm applying to Ross and Cornell as well :)

Good luck with the drive. :moped
VP
VP

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling Michigan Ross School of Business Applicants - 2009! [#permalink] New post 11 Aug 2008, 15:34
ryguy904 wrote:
refurb wrote:
I'm visiting Cornell on the way there, so i won't have to drive it all at once (at least on the way there).

RF

Let us know how both schools are. I'm applying to Ross and Cornell as well :)

Good luck with the drive. :moped

Just so everyone knows, you can register for a visit to Ross now!!

I'll be there on September 25th!!

Unfortunately I can't register for the Cornell visit yet. Not surprising since they don't have their essay questions out yet either!!

RF
Current Student

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling Michigan Ross School of Business Applicants - 2009! [#permalink] New post 11 Aug 2008, 16:09
refurb wrote:

I'm still deciding between the 25th and the 26th. The 26th works so much better since I'm flying in from the West Coast but that happy hour on the 25th is calling to me...Oh yeah, class visits too on the 25th! :rotate
VP
VP

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling Michigan Ross School of Business Applicants - 2009! [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2008, 22:06
Anyone else's ass getting kicked by essay question 3?

3. If you were not pursuing the career goals you described in Question 1, what profession would you pursue instead? (For example, teacher, musician, athlete, architect, etc.) How will this alternate interest contribute to your effectiveness in solving multidisciplinary problems?

I've done two different essays and I think they both suck:

1. Talked about my graduate school experience teaching an undergrad lab.
Pros: Can talk about actual experience (leadership, communication, innovation, etc) that would be useful in solving MD problems.
Con: Will I give the adcom's the impression I should be a teacher instead of going for an MBA?

2. Talked about a hobby (cars) and extended that to a fantasy career of a professional race car driver.
Pros: Avoid the issue of "he shouldn't be doing an MBA". (Since the alternate career is obviously a fantasy)
Cons: The connection between the hobby and MD problem solving skills is weak.

I've heard that the safe route is to pick a career that is closely linked with your post-MBA career goals that also requires an MBA. However, that seems really weak too and I think the adcoms will see right through it. At least option #2 above gives some insight into me as a person (passions/hobbies).

I've read three different consultants views on the question and it's not any clearer on what I should pursue.
Vibranture
Clear Admit
Stacy Blackman

Anyone care to comment?

RF
Current Student

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling Michigan Ross School of Business Applicants - 2009! [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2008, 02:33
refurb wrote:
Anyone else's ass getting kicked by essay question 3?

3. If you were not pursuing the career goals you described in Question 1, what profession would you pursue instead? (For example, teacher, musician, athlete, architect, etc.) How will this alternate interest contribute to your effectiveness in solving multidisciplinary problems?

I've done two different essays and I think they both suck:

1. Talked about my graduate school experience teaching an undergrad lab.
Pros: Can talk about actual experience (leadership, communication, innovation, etc) that would be useful in solving MD problems.
Con: Will I give the adcom's the impression I should be a teacher instead of going for an MBA?

2. Talked about a hobby (cars) and extended that to a fantasy career of a professional race car driver.
Pros: Avoid the issue of "he shouldn't be doing an MBA". (Since the alternate career is obviously a fantasy)
Cons: The connection between the hobby and MD problem solving skills is weak.

I've heard that the safe route is to pick a career that is closely linked with your post-MBA career goals that also requires an MBA. However, that seems really weak too and I think the adcoms will see right through it. At least option #2 above gives some insight into me as a person (passions/hobbies).

I've read three different consultants views on the question and it's not any clearer on what I should pursue.
Vibranture
Clear Admit
Stacy Blackman

Anyone care to comment?

RF

Well, it says goals that aren't what you established in question 1 (ST/LT goals), so I think it's safe to say that they want an answer more on the personal scale. At least that's my take on it.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling Michigan Ross School of Business Applicants - 2009! [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2008, 05:25
Agreed -

I actually wrote about a similar topic - becoming a teacher. I tied it into my ECs and how I seek to be a leader and teacher currently in some aspects of my life. Actually turned into a decent essay.

~Sam
VP
VP

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling Michigan Ross School of Business Applicants - 2009! [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2008, 07:43
YihWei wrote:
Well, it says goals that aren't what you established in question 1 (ST/LT goals), so I think it's safe to say that they want an answer more on the personal scale. At least that's my take on it.

That was my take on it too. I don't think they are asking the question to trap someone ("Hey! Because you said a non-MBA career, I'm not letting you in!!").

I agree that one should be careful to not phrase the essay in a way that suggests you'd RATHER pursue those goals.

Plus, talking about a real experience is going to be MUCH more valuable than something less concrete.

Thanks guys.

RF
SVP
SVP
Schools: NYU Stern '11
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 203 [0], given: 22

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling Michigan Ross School of Business Applicants - 2009! [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2008, 07:53
You could always say if money were no concern (which it won't be after an MBA from Ross of course) I would indulge a passion in building boats I inherited from my great grandfather who was a sailor on the high seas in the time of Lord Nelson et cetera. You get the "drift" (get it?).

:)

refurb wrote:
YihWei wrote:

That was my take on it too. I don't think they are asking the question to trap someone ("Hey! Because you said a non-MBA career, I'm not letting you in!!").

I agree that one should be careful to not phrase the essay in a way that suggests you'd RATHER pursue those goals.

Plus, talking about a real experience is going to be MUCH more valuable than something less concrete.

Thanks guys.

RF
SVP
SVP
Schools: NYU Stern '11
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 203 [0], given: 22

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling Michigan Ross School of Business Applicants - 2009! [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2008, 08:46
Ha...who says MBAs don't have a sense of humor.
Current Student

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling Michigan Ross School of Business Applicants - 2009! [#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2008, 17:16
YihWei wrote:
refurb wrote:

I'm still deciding between the 25th and the 26th. The 26th works so much better since I'm flying in from the West Coast but that happy hour on the 25th is calling to me...Oh yeah, class visits too on the 25th! :rotate

Wooooooooo! I'm in for Thursday the 25th. I'll be the guy in the maize and blue striped dress shirt!!!
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling Michigan Ross School of Business Applicants - 2009! [#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2008, 08:47
Has anyone started on Ross essay #3?
Here is the question "If you were not pursuing the career goals you described in Question 1, what profession would you pursue instead? (for example, teacher, musician, athlete, architect, etc.) How will this alternate interest contribute to your effectiveness in solving multi-disciplinary problems?"

I can write the answer to the 1st part, but struggling with the 2nd part. What does it mean by multi-disciplinary problems? How can a person with alternate profession such as athlete, musician solve such problems effectively? What exactly is the school looking in the answer?
Re: Calling Michigan Ross School of Business Applicants - 2009!   [#permalink] 23 Aug 2008, 08:47