Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 00:39

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all Michigan (Ross) Fall 2009 Applicants!

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 02 Aug 2007
Posts: 347
Location: Greater New York City area
Schools: Tuck, Ross (R1), Duke, Tepper, ISB (R2), Kenan Flagler (R2)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling Michigan Ross School of Business Applicants - 2009! [#permalink] New post 06 Sep 2008, 17:38
aakashganga wrote:
Has anyone started on the challenging time essay?

4. Describe your experience during a challenging time in your life. Explain how you grew personally, either despite this challenge or because of it.

This appears to be a non-professional essay. I wonder how many of us face a challenging time in lives...I mean completing your undergrad can't constitute a challenging time...

I feel it would be something that could have affected your life (e.g. parents divorced) but you didn't let it affect you... In fact you became self dependent very early because of it. or you had to do 2 jobs to complete your education...

What else can you think of? Most of us Indians don't face (fortunately) such issues.


Aakash,

Just my two cents. I don't think this essay is invariably meant to show a non professional challenging time. If at all, you feel that your non professional or extra curricular aspect hasn't quite come up in other essays, then it may be wise to chose something non professional. Otherwise, this space can talk about academic or professional, depending on it's impact. I think this question is quite close to a failure essay. It is more about your learnings from the episode than anything else.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 02 Aug 2007
Posts: 347
Location: Greater New York City area
Schools: Tuck, Ross (R1), Duke, Tepper, ISB (R2), Kenan Flagler (R2)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling Michigan Ross School of Business Applicants - 2009! [#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2008, 13:43
rgajare14 wrote:
aakashganga wrote:
Has anyone started on the challenging time essay?

4. Describe your experience during a challenging time in your life. Explain how you grew personally, either despite this challenge or because of it.

This appears to be a non-professional essay. I wonder how many of us face a challenging time in lives...I mean completing your undergrad can't constitute a challenging time...

I feel it would be something that could have affected your life (e.g. parents divorced) but you didn't let it affect you... In fact you became self dependent very early because of it. or you had to do 2 jobs to complete your education...

What else can you think of? Most of us Indians don't face (fortunately) such issues.


Aakash,

Just my two cents. I don't think this essay is invariably meant to show a non professional challenging time. If at all, you feel that your non professional or extra curricular aspect hasn't quite come up in other essays, then it may be wise to chose something non professional. Otherwise, this space can talk about academic or professional, depending on it's impact. I think this question is quite close to a failure essay. It is more about your learnings from the episode than anything else.


Alright, after replying to Aakash above, I started thinking about my response again.

Tucks asks - "Discuss the most difficult constructive criticism or feedback you have received. How did you address it? What have you learned from it?"

And Ross question is "Describe your experience during a challenging time in your life. Explain how you grew personally, either despite this challenge or because of it."

A constructive criticism/feedback is usually after a failure and can be after a challenging time too. The second part of the question appears to be same for both schools - how you grew personally, either despite this challenge or because of it."

But I think, I would do some slight changes to my Tuck essay to present my failure as a challenging time. Any thoughts by people who are applying to both these schools ? ?
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 31 Aug 2008
Posts: 37
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling Michigan Ross School of Business Applicants - 2009! [#permalink] New post 10 Sep 2008, 21:21
New class profile out for Michigan:

Class of 2010 Profile

Undergraduate Majors Business 18% / 20% '09
Computer Science 7%
Economics 14% / 12% '09
Engineering 24% /29% '09
Humanities/Social Sciences 20%
Math/Physical Sciences 8%
Other 9%

Full-time Work Experience Average 5 years /same as '09
Range < 1-15 years /<1-16 last year

Average Age 29 years / same as '09

Women 34% / same as '09

Minorities 25% / 26% in '09

Citizenship Distribution Africa 1%
Asia 8%
Eastern Europe 1%
India 7%
Latin America 7%
Middle East 4%
North America 69%
Western Europe 3%

Geographic Distribution Mid-Atlantic 6%
Midwest 25% / 21% in '09
Northeast 16%
South 4%
Southwest 3%
West 19% / 12% in '09
International 27% / 35% in '09 big drop it seems

GPA: Average 3.3 /-same

GMAT Score Middle 80% Range 650 - 760 / 640-750 last year moved up 10 points
Average 706 / 701 in '09

Class Size 434 / 407 in '09

-Overall take away, GMAT is 10 points higher, less international students

Posted in wrong place before
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 31 Aug 2008
Posts: 37
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling Michigan Ross School of Business Applicants - 2009! [#permalink] New post 10 Sep 2008, 21:34
MBA Graduate Top Hiring Companies for 2008 class I believe...cause it's different from the 2007 employment report. Not bad at all if you are into consulting and high tech, could use Bain and GS...

Company Number of Hires
McKinsey & Company 16
The Boston Consulting Group 12
Deloitte Consulting, LLP 11
Citi 9
Bank of America 9
Booz & Company 9
Accenture Ltd. 9
JPMorgan Chase & Co. 7
Deutsche Bank 7
Microsoft Corporation 7
Johnson & Johnson 7
Medtronic, Inc. 7
Cisco Systems, Inc. 6
Intel Corporation 6

*Includes day MBA new hires only
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 08 Nov 2006
Posts: 1560
Location: Ann Arbor
Schools: Ross '10
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 165 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling Michigan Ross School of Business Applicants - 2009! [#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2008, 08:15
I suspect thats a natural response to the visa situation in the market. Employers are more and more worried about investing in people who may or may not work for them. It will be interesting to see if this a temporary dip or permanent trend.
zhl226 wrote:
Overall take away, GMAT is 10 points higher, less international students
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 02 Sep 2008
Posts: 34
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 3

Re: Calling Michigan Ross School of Business Applicants - 2009! [#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2008, 08:43
guys,

An issue I am facing with my Ross essays is its small word limit. Through the four essays, I am unable to talk about my extra curricular and community development work. I guess I'll have highlight those only through my resume.

Is anyone else facing similar difficulties? Any tips on handling it?

-connecticket
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 28 Feb 2008
Posts: 1323
Schools: Tuck
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 117 [0], given: 6

Re: Calling Michigan Ross School of Business Applicants - 2009! [#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2008, 12:55
connecticket wrote:
guys,

An issue I am facing with my Ross essays is its small word limit. Through the four essays, I am unable to talk about my extra curricular and community development work. I guess I'll have highlight those only through my resume.

Is anyone else facing similar difficulties? Any tips on handling it?

-connecticket


Same here. Unless you can incorporate your ECs into the "difficult challenge" or "alternate career" question, you're pretty much stuck.

RF
_________________

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Current Student
avatar
Joined: 11 Oct 2007
Posts: 101
Schools: Duke, UCLA, Cornell, Ross,Tuck, Haas
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling Michigan Ross School of Business Applicants - 2009! [#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2008, 13:07
refurb wrote:
connecticket wrote:
guys,

An issue I am facing with my Ross essays is its small word limit. Through the four essays, I am unable to talk about my extra curricular and community development work. I guess I'll have highlight those only through my resume.

Is anyone else facing similar difficulties? Any tips on handling it?

-connecticket


Same here. Unless you can incorporate your ECs into the "difficult challenge" or "alternate career" question, you're pretty much stuck.

RF


How about using the optional essay?
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 28 Feb 2008
Posts: 1323
Schools: Tuck
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 117 [0], given: 6

Re: Calling Michigan Ross School of Business Applicants - 2009! [#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2008, 13:26
prospect wrote:
How about using the optional essay?


That would be a great place for it.

Since my ECs are pretty weak (no leadership examples) I won't be doing that, but yeah, if you have something really great to add (EC related or not), the optional essay is a great place for it.

RF
_________________

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 24 Apr 2007
Posts: 589
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling Michigan Ross School of Business Applicants - 2009! [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2008, 05:52
We're getting access to a little chunk of the new school on Monday. Looking forward to that :-D
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 21 Mar 2007
Posts: 570
WE 1: Hi-tech Product Development
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 72 [0], given: 3

Re: Calling Michigan Ross School of Business Applicants - 2009! [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2008, 15:30
bherronp wrote:
We're getting access to a little chunk of the new school on Monday. Looking forward to that :-D

Yup! heh heh! Building looks in good shape to be opened up in Jan '09.
_________________

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 02 Aug 2007
Posts: 347
Location: Greater New York City area
Schools: Tuck, Ross (R1), Duke, Tepper, ISB (R2), Kenan Flagler (R2)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling Michigan Ross School of Business Applicants - 2009! [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2008, 17:06
Ross's application instructions say "You may submit electronic transcripts to speed up processing, but an official copy in hard copy format is still required."

Is it possible that I just submit scanned copies of my transcripts with my application and then only if at all I get accepted, I submit the original hardcopy ?? They don't explicitly say this, so the question. Has anyone done this in the past ?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 02 Aug 2007
Posts: 347
Location: Greater New York City area
Schools: Tuck, Ross (R1), Duke, Tepper, ISB (R2), Kenan Flagler (R2)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling Michigan Ross School of Business Applicants - 2009! [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2008, 17:09
rgajare14 wrote:
Ross's application instructions say "You may submit electronic transcripts to speed up processing, but an official copy in hard copy format is still required."

Is it possible that I just submit scanned copies of my transcripts with my application and then only if at all I get accepted, I submit the original hardcopy ?? They don't explicitly say this, so the question. Has anyone done this in the past ?


Got the answer. Further in the instructions found this,
"If you were provided only one official copy of your transcript,
you may submit a photocopy. If you are admitted, you will be
required to bring the original to our offices for authentication."
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 06 Aug 2006
Posts: 328
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling Michigan Ross School of Business Applicants - 2009! [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2008, 19:51
Exactly. I was in this situation, having only one copy of transcript - brought it to the school along with photocopy and a lady from the admissions office took the photocopy after comparison against the original transcript.

rgajare14 wrote:

Got the answer. Further in the instructions found this,
"If you were provided only one official copy of your transcript,
you may submit a photocopy. If you are admitted, you will be
required to bring the original to our offices for authentication."
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 27 Jul 2007
Posts: 874
Location: Sunny So Cal
Schools: CBS, Cornell, Duke, Ross, Darden
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 188 [0], given: 4

Re: Calling Michigan Ross School of Business Applicants - 2009! [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2008, 21:05
refurb wrote:
prospect wrote:
How about using the optional essay?


That would be a great place for it.

I disagree. The optional essay is not a place to discuss simply anything that you feel like talking about. It is intended for one to discuss areas of disconnect or things that need explaining in the application. Examples of this would be low GPA, why you are not using your current recommender, gaps in work history, etc.

The bottom line is Ross is telling you what they value from applicants (hence the 4 essay questions and details asked within the actual app). Stick to their questions and answer them. Don't try and throw in EC's in an essay that doesn't call for them (unless DIRECTLY relevant and answers the question) and don't use the optional essay to discuss them.
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 28 Feb 2008
Posts: 1323
Schools: Tuck
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 117 [0], given: 6

Re: Calling Michigan Ross School of Business Applicants - 2009! [#permalink] New post 15 Sep 2008, 02:46
ryguy904 wrote:
I disagree. The optional essay is not a place to discuss simply anything that you feel like talking about.


This is from the official list of Ross 2008-2009 questions:

Quote:
Is there anything else you think the Admissions Committee should know about you to evaluate you candidacy?


They don't restrict your answer to "bad GPA, low GMAT, etc". You have the option of putting in something else you think will help the adcoms evaluate your candidacy. I agree that you have to be very careful about what you put in, but you can put it there.

If you spent 2 years saving AIDS orphans in Africa and had a great story to tell, I'd definitively put it there.

RF
_________________

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 31 Aug 2008
Posts: 37
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling Michigan Ross School of Business Applicants - 2009! [#permalink] New post 15 Sep 2008, 23:03
Hey I'll be in Michigan on the 24th night and 25th for a school visit. Anyone want to meet up or network and discuss their MBA apps process so far?

I'll also be getting a hotel room on campus (I am not being cheap or anything else just throwing it out there) anyone want to save some money and split the cost?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 02 Aug 2007
Posts: 347
Location: Greater New York City area
Schools: Tuck, Ross (R1), Duke, Tepper, ISB (R2), Kenan Flagler (R2)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling Michigan Ross School of Business Applicants - 2009! [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2008, 14:54
R.E.D. wrote:
Exactly. I was in this situation, having only one copy of transcript - brought it to the school along with photocopy and a lady from the admissions office took the photocopy after comparison against the original transcript.

rgajare14 wrote:

Got the answer. Further in the instructions found this,
"If you were provided only one official copy of your transcript,
you may submit a photocopy. If you are admitted, you will be
required to bring the original to our offices for authentication."


Did you have to bring in the photocopy after or before they announced your decision ?
From what I understood, with the application, I can submit a photocopy. If I get an acceptance, then I HAVE to provide the hardcopy of the original. Is this right ?
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 24 Apr 2007
Posts: 589
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling Michigan Ross School of Business Applicants - 2009! [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2008, 18:50
ryguy904 wrote:
refurb wrote:
prospect wrote:
How about using the optional essay?


That would be a great place for it.

I disagree. The optional essay is not a place to discuss simply anything that you feel like talking about. It is intended for one to discuss areas of disconnect or things that need explaining in the application. Examples of this would be low GPA, why you are not using your current recommender, gaps in work history, etc.

The bottom line is Ross is telling you what they value from applicants (hence the 4 essay questions and details asked within the actual app). Stick to their questions and answer them. Don't try and throw in EC's in an essay that doesn't call for them (unless DIRECTLY relevant and answers the question) and don't use the optional essay to discuss them.


I wrote an optional essay last year about a memorable event that ocurred during my favorite EC, hiking. They seem to have admitted me. Take it for what you wish.
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 08 Nov 2006
Posts: 1560
Location: Ann Arbor
Schools: Ross '10
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 165 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling Michigan Ross School of Business Applicants - 2009! [#permalink] New post 17 Sep 2008, 18:20
Write the optional essay so long as you bring to it something meaningful about yourself that is not elsewhere on the app. In other words, if you have to think hard to come up with something to fill the optional essay page, then stay away from the essay. If you do write the essay, keep it within a page.
_________________

My Profile/GMAT/MBA Story
http://www.gmatclub.com/forum/111-t59345

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: Calling Michigan Ross School of Business Applicants - 2009!   [#permalink] 17 Sep 2008, 18:20
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
10 Experts publish their posts in the topic Ross (Michigan) 2013 - Calling All Waitlisted Applicants aerien 56 25 Dec 2012, 20:57
340 Experts publish their posts in the topic Ross (Michigan) 2013 - Calling All Applicants jko 1441 03 Jul 2012, 06:46
23 Calling all [[Michigan (Ross)]] 2008 applicants... lanter1 2060 09 Aug 2007, 06:23
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Calling all Michigan (Ross) Fall 2009 Applicants!

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  66    Next  [ 1306 posts ] 



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.