Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 11:28

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all Minnesota (Carlson) 2011 Applicants!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [1] , given: 1

Re: Calling all Minnesota (Carlson) 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2011, 21:36
This post received
KUDOS
edit

Last edited by sp00ked on 22 Mar 2011, 07:43, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: AIESEC
Schools: Carlson School of Management (Admitted with $$$); Claremont McKenna College MSF (Admitted with $$$); Olin Business School (R2); Wisconsin School of Business R3); University of Notre Dame (R5)
WE 1: 2.5 Years in Management Consulting with a Big 4 Auditing Firm by matriculation
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 10

Re: Calling all Minnesota (Carlson) 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2011, 23:44
Thanks a lot for the informative post, spOOked. To be honest, I don't plan to fight till death for a job in the States as I am also aware of its highly political procedures for work permit processing. What I am really interested in is international work experience to increase my long-term marketability before heading back home. However, it seems American schools have difficulty helping their students place themselves outside the states. Correct me if I am wrong, but it appears that international undergrad/MSF students stand a better chance of landing entry-level jobs in "the land of freedom" than MBA career-switchers do.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [1] , given: 1

Re: Calling all Minnesota (Carlson) 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2011, 06:17
This post received
KUDOS
quan11287 wrote:
Thanks a lot for the informative post, spOOked. To be honest, I don't plan to fight till death for a job in the States as I am also aware of its highly political procedures for work permit processing. What I am really interested in is international work experience to increase my long-term marketability before heading back home. However, it seems American schools have difficulty helping their students place themselves outside the states. Correct me if I am wrong, but it appears that international undergrad/MSF students stand a better chance of landing entry-level jobs in "the land of freedom" than MBA career-switchers do.

Absolutely, you will be overqualified with an MBA for an entry level job. Moreoever, I'm not sure if an entry level job would be considered valuable, even though it's "overseas" experience. You do get a year of OPT to work without a work visa, and that might allow you to acheive your goal of working internationally, albeit for a short time.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Minnesota (Carlson) 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2011, 06:05
Did anyone go to the Carlson Up Close event this past weekend? Any thoughts?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling all Minnesota (Carlson) 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2011, 07:08
TheDude2011 wrote:

I did, did you?
Few quick impressions.

Positive
1) The caliber of the students were higher than I expected. I personally met 2 students who were accepted to Darden and Ross, respectively, and they were offered a full ride at Carlson and were seriously considering Carlson. So the school does a good job spending money to recruit the best students. Also met a student who was interviewed at Harvard.

2) I believe the faculty would be on par with those from the top 10 schools, or at most, slightly below.

3) Small class size means personal attention, both from faculty and staff which is a unique attribute to Carlson.

Negative
1) Most recruiting comes from the twin cities, so it would be difficult to get a job anywhere else.
2) Carlson name brand fades quickly outside the midwest.

Overall, it was a positive experience for me and has pushed me towards matriculating this fall.

What did you think?
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: University of Minnesota (Carlson) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 720 Q47 V42
GPA: 3.55

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Minnesota (Carlson) 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2011, 08:55
sp00ked wrote:
TheDude2011 wrote:

I did, did you?
Few quick impressions.

Positive
1) The caliber of the students were higher than I expected. I personally met 2 students who were accepted to Darden and Ross, respectively, and they were offered a full ride at Carlson and were seriously considering Carlson. So the school does a good job spending money to recruit the best students. Also met a student who was interviewed at Harvard.

2) I believe the faculty would be on par with those from the top 10 schools, or at most, slightly below.

3) Small class size means personal attention, both from faculty and staff which is a unique attribute to Carlson.

Negative
1) Most recruiting comes from the twin cities, so it would be difficult to get a job anywhere else.

Overall, it was a positive experience for me and has pushed me towards matriculating this fall.

What did you think?

I went as well and I gotta say I came away very impressed. Here are some factors that impressed me...

1. How much Carlson shelled out for the event. Between plane tickets, hotel rooms, food, swag, and the rest, they definitely know how how to make students wanted. They also gave out like 8 $1000 scholarships.

2. That applications are up 30% from last year, and that Carlson said this year has been their most competitive year ever. I'm glad I didn't know this before, as I would probably have been significantly more nervous while waiting for my decision.

3. Job prospects within the Minneapolis area. Make no mistake, if you go to Carlson you should be comfortable living in Minneapolis not just this year, but for years to come. They didn't say it outright, but it was fairly clear that your best opportunities are going to come from within the Minneapolis area.

4. The enterprise programs. I had obviously been aware of the programs, but I came away even more impressed with them after attending Up Close. If you're thinking about changing careers (like I am), then you should view the enterprise programs as a pretty great selling point. You're going to get some SIGNIFICANT experience to add to your resume.

5. The people. Current Students, Admitted Students, Professors, Admissions Staff, everyone was just great. Friendly, non-competitive, easy to talk with. Definitely seems like a good group.

Overall I went into the weekend not sure on Carlson, and came away with Carlson as my far and away number 1 choice. Great weekend!
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling all Minnesota (Carlson) 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2011, 09:29
sp00ked wrote:
TheDude2011 wrote:

I did, did you?
Few quick impressions.

Positive

Negative

What did you think?

I was impressed by the whole weekend -- it was definitely a lot better than I had expected. The staff, faculity, current students, and prospective students all were extremely nice and welcoming. I felt that the whole atmosphere just fit me better. Going into this weekend I had Carlson high on my list for schools (given that I do want to stay in the Twin Cities area), and this event just moved the school to my top choice.

The only thing about the weekend that I didn't like was that I wasn't one of the 8 people that won a $1000 scholarship. I plan on submitting my deposit this week and matriculating in the fall.
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling all Minnesota (Carlson) 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2011, 09:37
sp00ked wrote:
TheDude2011 wrote:

I did, did you?
Few quick impressions.

Positive

Negative

What did you think?

Oh yeah, to add to your comment regarding the faculity being on par with those from top 10 schools. As a Minneapolis native, I've always known that the University of Minnesota had great graduate schools and great research (look at Carlson, the law school, the med school, etc.). Looking at Carlson's (and the Economics department's) PhD student placement, many PhD grads go to top 10/15 schools. Additionally, a lot of the faculity come from schools like Northwestern, M.I.T., Standford, etc. My feeling is that many of the Carlson professors that came from other schools were tired of doing pure research in such a competitive environment, and they decided to make the switch to Carlson to relax a little and focus on teaching over research.
Intern
Intern
Schools: Kellogg (Ding 3/16), Haas (Ding 3/2), Ross (Admit 3/7), Fuqua(Ding 3/25), Carlson (Accepted with $$$ 2/2 and Matriculating 4/23)

Re: Calling all Minnesota (Carlson) 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2011, 12:47
TheDude2011 wrote:

I was only able to make it for the Saturday events, but overall I was very impressed with the program. Going in, I thought I was going to accept to the other school I got in to, even with a generous scholarship from Carlson, but I left completely unsure of what I'm going to do. I've got a week to figure this out :? Luckily, I'm choosing between two great options.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling all Minnesota (Carlson) 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2011, 13:24
jaxmcq wrote:
TheDude2011 wrote:

I was only able to make it for the Saturday events, but overall I was very impressed with the program. Going in, I thought I was going to accept to the other school I got in to, even with a generous scholarship from Carlson, but I left completely unsure of what I'm going to do. I've got a week to figure this out :? Luckily, I'm choosing between two great options.

Jack, is that you?
It's a shame you could make it on Friday, I would say that it was more informative than the activities on Saturday. If you had, maybe you wouldn't even be thinking twice:)
Intern
Intern
Schools: Kellogg (Ding 3/16), Haas (Ding 3/2), Ross (Admit 3/7), Fuqua(Ding 3/25), Carlson (Accepted with $$$ 2/2 and Matriculating 4/23)

Re: Calling all Minnesota (Carlson) 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 24 Apr 2011, 11:50
Ok, I decided to take the scholarship and come to Carlson next year. See all of you in the fall!
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling all Minnesota (Carlson) 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 14 May 2011, 01:40
Hi Guys!!! I have been admitted to the Carlson MBA for Fall 2011 and wanted to reach out to my future classmates.... N I wanna thank all of you for writing extremely informative comments with great analysis of the various features of the program...

Also, Can we set up a group on FB or something to connect?
Re: Calling all Minnesota (Carlson) 2011 Applicants!   [#permalink] 14 May 2011, 01:40