Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 02 Oct 2014, 05:05

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all MIT Fall 2009 applicants!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Schools: Kellogg '10
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 87 [0], given: 15

Re: Calling all MIT Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 15 Dec 2008, 16:22
k88 wrote:
Did anybody else not get an interview but not get dinged either? I feel like there is some lag in my email box or something :( Does your status online change when you get the MIT email?

Status stayed the same. There was just a new link at the bottom of the application home page that had a link to the letter. I imagine it's a good sign (or at least definitely not as terrible of a sign) to be in the position you're in.

http://www.fantasticcontraption.com

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all MIT Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 15 Dec 2008, 16:23
dinged as well. I was not expecting this. But I do prefer the ding now than later in the process. I am shocked of how many people posted dings on both gmatclub and businessweek. There were only a few invites out and now most of us god dinged.
Current Student
Schools: Wharton '11
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 2

Re: Calling all MIT Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 15 Dec 2008, 16:28
k88 wrote:
Did anybody else not get an interview but not get dinged either? I feel like there is some lag in my email box or something :( Does your status online change when you get the MIT email?

You should have a link at the bottom that says the decision has been made but the overall status does not change.
Current Student
Schools: HBS Stanford Kellogg Wharton Tuck MIT Sloan
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all MIT Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 15 Dec 2008, 16:43
resounding ding. i only applied to sloan and tuck in the first round..really dont know what i will do now..not even an opportunity to interview..
Director
Director
Schools: Wharton
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 102 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all MIT Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 15 Dec 2008, 16:45
Got dinged as well. This one is baffling to me, as my former boss and current MIT senior lecturer, an MIT alum, and an MIT professor sent separate letters of support for me. Here's hoping it's a glitch...
Current Student

Re: Calling all MIT Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 15 Dec 2008, 16:49
zoinnk wrote:
Got dinged as well. This one is baffling to me, as my former boss and current MIT senior lecturer, an MIT alum, and an MIT professor sent separate letters of support for me. Here's hoping it's a glitch...

same here, one of my recommender is an MIT alum. I would think that I would get a interview at least. Let's put our hope on the computer glitch theory.
Director
Director

Re: Calling all MIT Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 15 Dec 2008, 16:53
zoinnk wrote:

Wow, very odd.

Director
Director

Re: Calling all MIT Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 15 Dec 2008, 16:57
rca215 wrote:
zoinnk wrote:

Wow, very odd.

I usually hate random speculation, but last year, MIT only sent out dings on the decision date...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: MIT
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 3

Re: Calling all MIT Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 15 Dec 2008, 17:00
zoinnk wrote:

I usually hate random speculation, but last year, MIT only sent out dings on the decision date...

But this year they specifically said they would send early rejection letters to people they weren't planning to interview (in one of the emails they sent after applications were prepared for review).
Director
Director

Re: Calling all MIT Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 15 Dec 2008, 17:01
smkrn wrote:
zoinnk wrote:

But this year they specifically said they would send early rejection letters to people they weren't planning to interview (in one of the emails they sent after applications were prepared for review).

I guess I'm SOL then. Oh well...
Director
Director

Re: Calling all MIT Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 15 Dec 2008, 17:05
smkrn wrote:
zoinnk wrote:

Ah, I had forgotten, probably out of naive optimism, about that italicized little devil in the "information" email. Good call.

Current Student

Re: Calling all MIT Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 15 Dec 2008, 17:21
so far, on our board, we have lower MIT interview rate than HBS and Stanford... I don't get it, does not make sense.

Argghhhhhh, I guess I am at the point where "If MIT can do it, they can all do it" (refer to the 7 phase of business school application)
Manager
Manager
Schools: Wharton (R1), MIT (R1), Chicago (R2), Kellogg (R2)

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all MIT Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 15 Dec 2008, 17:39
I havnt been active this year in gmatclub. I know the pain of getting a reject from the Univs. Got rejected from both Wharton and Chicago last year after attending interviews! Focus on other school now guys...I am sure with time and perseverance, one can improve the application and make it competitive.

I didnt get an email today (First time I am applying to Sloan). I checked my junk mail to see if any email got stuck there. I checked my application and it still says "Complete and being evaluated". K88, it appears I am with you.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all MIT Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 15 Dec 2008, 17:52
Sorry about those who got Dings~ I got my decision letter today which was a total surprise. I didn't get a ding nor an interview. What they said in the letter is " defer decision" . They said they will need more time to evaluate and will defer the decision in R2. And they also said it's not a waitlist status. I am quite confused~

Anyone got the same decision as me?

It's really unexpected~
Manager
Manager
Schools: HBS, MIT Sloan, Stanford, Haas (withdrew with interview invite)

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all MIT Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 15 Dec 2008, 17:58
k88 wrote:

Sorry for everyone who got dinged today. On the bright side, at least you know and can apply to more schools if you want.

I also fall into the MIT purgatory group. No invite. No ding. My application status hasn't changed online.

I figure this means
a) We'll get interview invites shortly
b) They simply haven't read our applications yet and we could be waiting a long time still

I'm hoping for option a, but I did submit fairly late in the round.
Manager
Manager
Schools: HBS, Kellogg, MIT, Cornell, Texas, SMU, Washington (Olin)

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 2

Re: Calling all MIT Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 15 Dec 2008, 18:29
Add me to the pile of dings. Sorry to hear the bad news all around.

This one hurts, I only have one live app left. Hopefully R2 will have some bright spots.

Good luck to those of you still in the running.
SVP
SVP
Schools: Kellogg '11
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 178 [0], given: 31

Re: Calling all MIT Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 15 Dec 2008, 18:31
Dinged too. :(
Drat.
Manager
Manager
Schools: MIT Sloan

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all MIT Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 15 Dec 2008, 18:37
omg guys, i logged on to the forum and saw the flood of ding posts. To those who got dinged, I'm sorry to hear that (esp after the cover letter which took a lot out of us!), but on the positive note, there is still time for R2.

k88, poochandi, big bad - i'm with you (no ding, no invite, no change in status). Keeping my fingers crossed!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
Followers: 78

Kudos [?]: 695 [0], given: 5

Re: Calling all MIT Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 15 Dec 2008, 19:00
MIT oftens WL's people without interviews.

Kellogg Class of 2010...still active and willing to help. However, I do not do profile reviews, don't offer predictions on chances and am far to busy to review essays, so save the energy of writing me a PM seeking help for these. If I don't respond to a PM that is not one of the previously mentioned trash can destined messages, please don't take it personally I get so many messages I have a hard to responding to most. The more interesting, compelling, or humorous you message the more likely I am to respond.

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all MIT Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 15 Dec 2008, 19:34
Dinged as well today. I agree with others' coments about not feeling a connection with this application, so it's not quite as surprising or painful as a ding would be elsewhere. Only monday and it's already been a looong week.
Re: Calling all MIT Fall 2009 applicants!   [#permalink] 15 Dec 2008, 19:34