Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 12:32

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all MIT Fall 2009 applicants!

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 16 May 2008
Posts: 885
Location: Earth
Schools: Cornell '11
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 133 [0], given: 29

Re: Calling all MIT Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2008, 10:46
Do you think OR are you sure? Cant be both :wink:

smkrn wrote:
But I think I'm going to hit R1 for sure.

_________________

"George is getting upset!"

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 29 May 2008
Posts: 278
Schools: MIT
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 3

Re: Calling all MIT Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2008, 10:50
raabenb wrote:
Do you think OR are you sure? Cant be both :wink:

smkrn wrote:
But I think I'm going to hit R1 for sure.


Actually, I just decided for sure today! R1 for me.
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 14 Sep 2007
Posts: 908
Schools: Kellogg '10
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 87 [0], given: 15

Re: Calling all MIT Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2008, 12:11
Anyone know what's up with the E&I program this year? (sorry for the repeat)
_________________

http://www.fantasticcontraption.com

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 29 May 2008
Posts: 278
Schools: MIT
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 3

Re: Calling all MIT Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 31 Jul 2008, 09:56
So have any of you decided how you're going to try and include information about your EC's/interests and associated leadership? (Because there's no longer a place to list EC's, awards, or interests.)
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 14 Sep 2007
Posts: 908
Schools: Kellogg '10
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 87 [0], given: 15

Re: Calling all MIT Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 31 Jul 2008, 18:09
smkrn wrote:
So have any of you decided how you're going to try and include information about your EC's/interests and associated leadership? (Because there's no longer a place to list EC's, awards, or interests.)


Sadly, my essay #4 might be a mix of ECs and some other random stuff. I'm not sure if the expectation for it, though, is to be a nice cohesive essay like the others.
_________________

http://www.fantasticcontraption.com

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 13 Mar 2007
Posts: 550
Schools: MIT Sloan
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all MIT Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 02 Aug 2008, 04:55
Well as far as MIT is concerned, I suggest you target R1 if you are contemplating between the two rounds.

These were the words from the AdCom when I visited the campus last year - "R1 gen has ~7-10% more success rate than R2." I guess its best for all of us to use the R1 'advantage' :)
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 29 Aug 2007
Posts: 107
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all MIT Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 03 Aug 2008, 08:12
I am a R2 WL from last year so I am definitely applying R1. Adcom said during a visit last year that more interviews go out in R1 and that by the time R2 comes around they just don't have the personnel to interview as many people. This is of course because MIT adcom does all the interviews. From my experience, I believe R1 is certainly better.
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 14 Sep 2007
Posts: 908
Schools: Kellogg '10
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 87 [0], given: 15

Re: Calling all MIT Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 03 Aug 2008, 13:19
Anyone know if the 50 lines requirement for the resume includes blank spaces? If so, that's pretty short.
_________________

http://www.fantasticcontraption.com

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 24 Aug 2007
Posts: 192
Schools: MIT
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all MIT Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 07 Aug 2008, 08:26
I wrote in with the same question last year -- I was told that as long as it fits in one page, it's fine
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 14 Sep 2007
Posts: 908
Schools: Kellogg '10
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 87 [0], given: 15

Re: Calling all MIT Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 07 Aug 2008, 08:33
collegesenior wrote:
I wrote in with the same question last year -- I was told that as long as it fits in one page, it's fine


Thanks!

You're starting Sloan soon, right? Do you know if the E&I Program has been terminated?
_________________

http://www.fantasticcontraption.com

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Current Student
avatar
Joined: 20 Dec 2007
Posts: 72
Schools: MIT Sloan
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all MIT Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 07 Aug 2008, 09:49
As far as I know the E & I program continues. I know a few people in my class are starting it in the Fall.
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 13 Feb 2007
Posts: 182
Schools: Harvard (No Interview), Cornell (Accepted), Duke (Accepted), Northwestern (Dinged)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 54 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all MIT Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2008, 18:05
Anybody else scheduled their visit yet? I booked my ticket, but not the official visit yet cause its not up yet.

ANyway. I dont know boston that well. Except for saying "Nomah!" alot (in reference to the once very popular Nomar Garciparra), and occassionally saying "Can I getta beer over herah!" (in a Boston accent), I am not sure how to let it all sink in.

Anyway, Im damn excited for the visit.
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 14 Sep 2007
Posts: 908
Schools: Kellogg '10
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 87 [0], given: 15

Re: Calling all MIT Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 10 Aug 2008, 09:20
irishspring wrote:
Anybody else scheduled their visit yet? I booked my ticket, but not the official visit yet cause its not up yet.

ANyway. I dont know boston that well. Except for saying "Nomah!" alot (in reference to the once very popular Nomar Garciparra), and occassionally saying "Can I getta beer over herah!" (in a Boston accent), I am not sure how to let it all sink in.

Anyway, Im damn excited for the visit.


I booked an Ambassadors morning visit for early September. Everything is online now.

It is a bit easier for me, living 1 stop away on the "T". If you can find a hotel convenient to the Red Line then that would be ideal. There are some places right in Kendall Square near Sloan, but they're fairly expensive business hotels. Plus that area itself isn't particularly exciting if you're looking to enjoy some of the area while you're here.
_________________

http://www.fantasticcontraption.com

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 24 Aug 2007
Posts: 192
Schools: MIT
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all MIT Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 16 Aug 2008, 02:29
Came across the newer viewbook at http://mitsloan.mit.edu/mba/pdf/MITSloa ... bk0809.pdf
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 20 Aug 2007
Posts: 853
Location: Chicago
Schools: Chicago Booth 2011
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 83 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling all MIT Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 16 Aug 2008, 06:09
Thanks for the link. Class of 2010 profile is in the viewbook. Avg GMAT is up to 709 and I noticed they accepted less engineering UG majors (30% vs typically 40%).

collegesenior wrote:
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 04 Dec 2007
Posts: 1689
Schools: Kellogg '11
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 179 [0], given: 31

Re: Calling all MIT Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2008, 18:17
I just saw that sloan is waiving the app fee for current undergrads applying - have they always done that? or is it new this year to attract younger applicants?

cheers,
ac.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 29 May 2008
Posts: 278
Schools: MIT
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 3

Re: Calling all MIT Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2008, 19:31
ac8706 wrote:
I just saw that sloan is waiving the app fee for current undergrads applying - have they always done that? or is it new this year to attract younger applicants?

cheers,
ac.


I don't know how far back it goes, but it's not new this year.

I'm not sure if it's more to target young applicants or more to take pity on "poor undergrads." I tend to think it's more the latter, but that's just my opinion.
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 04 Dec 2007
Posts: 1689
Schools: Kellogg '11
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 179 [0], given: 31

Re: Calling all MIT Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2008, 04:23
I've booked a visit for the Wed week of 9/22. I get back from Tuck on that Tuesday evening, go straight to the hotel, Wed day is the MIT visit and then I fly out in the PM.

Given the craziness of traffic there, I'm not planning to rent a car - I think the T should be sufficient for getting me to/from hotel and to/from MIT. Depending on how much time I have (and how much I plan to lug stuff around) and the weather, I'll probably go hang out a bit in Harvard Sq (red line) or Newbury Street (green line - Copley or Arlington stops). Both are great for people watching, food/drinks and window shopping. In Harvard Sq, there's a great restaurant called Border Cafe that has Mexican food - great salsa, margaritas. In the Garage, there also used to be a place for great boba tea - don't know if it's still there. For Newbury street, there are lots of options for food/drinks. Just as a side note, Newbury street gets progressively more swanky as you head towards the Public Gardens. Also, if you want more ethnic fare, head towards Central Sq (red line) - they have great Indian restaurants.

let me know if you want more ideas for what to do in the area :)
cheers,
ac.

rca215 wrote:
irishspring wrote:
Anybody else scheduled their visit yet? I booked my ticket, but not the official visit yet cause its not up yet.

ANyway. I dont know boston that well. Except for saying "Nomah!" alot (in reference to the once very popular Nomar Garciparra), and occassionally saying "Can I getta beer over herah!" (in a Boston accent), I am not sure how to let it all sink in.

Anyway, Im damn excited for the visit.


I booked an Ambassadors morning visit for early September. Everything is online now.

It is a bit easier for me, living 1 stop away on the "T". If you can find a hotel convenient to the Red Line then that would be ideal. There are some places right in Kendall Square near Sloan, but they're fairly expensive business hotels. Plus that area itself isn't particularly exciting if you're looking to enjoy some of the area while you're here.
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 14 Sep 2007
Posts: 908
Schools: Kellogg '10
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 87 [0], given: 15

Re: Calling all MIT Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2008, 16:19
ac8706 wrote:
I've booked a visit for the Wed week of 9/22. I get back from Tuck on that Tuesday evening, go straight to the hotel, Wed day is the MIT visit and then I fly out in the PM.

Given the craziness of traffic there, I'm not planning to rent a car - I think the T should be sufficient for getting me to/from hotel and to/from MIT. Depending on how much time I have (and how much I plan to lug stuff around) and the weather, I'll probably go hang out a bit in Harvard Sq (red line) or Newbury Street (green line - Copley or Arlington stops). Both are great for people watching, food/drinks and window shopping. In Harvard Sq, there's a great restaurant called Border Cafe that has Mexican food - great salsa, margaritas. In the Garage, there also used to be a place for great boba tea - don't know if it's still there. For Newbury street, there are lots of options for food/drinks. Just as a side note, Newbury street gets progressively more swanky as you head towards the Public Gardens. Also, if you want more ethnic fare, head towards Central Sq (red line) - they have great Indian restaurants.

let me know if you want more ideas for what to do in the area :)
cheers,
ac.

rca215 wrote:
irishspring wrote:
Anybody else scheduled their visit yet? I booked my ticket, but not the official visit yet cause its not up yet.

ANyway. I dont know boston that well. Except for saying "Nomah!" alot (in reference to the once very popular Nomar Garciparra), and occassionally saying "Can I getta beer over herah!" (in a Boston accent), I am not sure how to let it all sink in.

Anyway, Im damn excited for the visit.


I booked an Ambassadors morning visit for early September. Everything is online now.

It is a bit easier for me, living 1 stop away on the "T". If you can find a hotel convenient to the Red Line then that would be ideal. There are some places right in Kendall Square near Sloan, but they're fairly expensive business hotels. Plus that area itself isn't particularly exciting if you're looking to enjoy some of the area while you're here.


If the weather's nice, I recommend taking a short walk out on the Longfellow Bridge, right near Sloan, to see a great view of Boston and the Charles River. Go all the way across and you're almost in Beacon Hill, which I consider the closest thing to a European neighborhood, in terms of architecture and age, that you can find in America.
_________________

http://www.fantasticcontraption.com

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 04 Dec 2007
Posts: 1689
Schools: Kellogg '11
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 179 [0], given: 31

Re: Calling all MIT Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2008, 16:49
[quote="rca215"

If the weather's nice, I recommend taking a short walk out on the Longfellow Bridge, right near Sloan, to see a great view of Boston and the Charles River. Go all the way across and you're almost in Beacon Hill, which I consider the closest thing to a European neighborhood, in terms of architecture and age, that you can find in America.[/quote]

that is a nice area! Also good to see are the public gardens (swan boats!) and boston common. You also get a good view of the State House from there and are a short walk from Faneuil Hall/Quincy Market and the North End (<- great Italian food!).
Re: Calling all MIT Fall 2009 applicants!   [#permalink] 03 Sep 2008, 16:49
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
52 Calling all Darden Fall 2009 applicants! solaris1 686 23 Jul 2008, 15:11
30 Experts publish their posts in the topic Calling all Stanford Fall 2009 applicants! TL 612 16 Jul 2008, 20:26
46 Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2009 applicants! solaris1 1424 15 Jul 2008, 16:24
12 Calling all Tuck Fall 2009 applicants! isa 737 10 Jul 2008, 18:42
34 Calling all Berkeley-Haas Fall 2009 Applicants agold 632 12 Jun 2008, 10:18
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Calling all MIT Fall 2009 applicants!

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  27    Next  [ 531 posts ] 



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.