Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 14:51

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all MIT Fall 2009 applicants!

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 14 Sep 2007
Posts: 908
Schools: Kellogg '10
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 87 [0], given: 15

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all MIT Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2008, 08:09
Anyone know much about visiting MIT in the summer? It looks like they just do 45 minute info sessions then give details on a self-guided tour. Is it really worth it to hold out until classes start? Is there sufficient time for class visits before R1 apps are due?
_________________

http://www.fantasticcontraption.com

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 29 May 2008
Posts: 278
Schools: MIT
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all MIT Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2008, 09:40
ac8706 wrote:
haven't looked at the app yet - it's on my list after I finish the current round of essays I'm working on...in the meantime:

Has anyone else noticed that many of their club websites (e.g. Biomedical) haven't been updated in a while and are pretty bare? Even things like their officer listings are out of date...how strange! I'm hoping that their folks are just too busy too update their websites...and it's only a summer trend.... :roll:

cheers,
ac.


I haven't really looked at the club websites yet much. I plan to in the next week or so, so I'll let you know if I find anything out. My brother-in-law is starting at Sloan this fall, so maybe I'll ask him if he knows anything about the clubs.

rca215 wrote:
Anyone know much about visiting MIT in the summer? It looks like they just do 45 minute info sessions then give details on a self-guided tour. Is it really worth it to hold out until classes start? Is there sufficient time for class visits before R1 apps are due?


In my opinion, there should be plenty of time for a visit. Classes start at the end of August (or maybe the first week of September), and the R1 application isn't due until the end of October.

I visited last March, but just happened to be there during the SIP week, so I couldn't go to a class. I'm definitely planning to go visit this fall before R1 applications are due so that I can get to a class.
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 04 Dec 2007
Posts: 1689
Schools: Kellogg '11
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 176 [0], given: 31

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all MIT Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2008, 17:55
rca215 wrote:
Anyone know much about visiting MIT in the summer? It looks like they just do 45 minute info sessions then give details on a self-guided tour. Is it really worth it to hold out until classes start? Is there sufficient time for class visits before R1 apps are due?


If you're able to go multiple times, go for it. If you haven't seen the campus before, it's great to walk around, see the area, etc. If you can only go once, I'd suggest waiting until school starts. There's great value in being able to interact with current students, sit in on a class, etc - it helps you evaluate your fit into the school a bit better.

For me, since I currently live in the midwest, I'll be flying out to visit once classes start. I plan to scout out potential dates, etc soon and get the airline ticket booked...Also, I went to school in the Boston area and have been to the campus enough times that I can find my way around pretty easily :)

cheers,
ac.
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 14 Sep 2007
Posts: 908
Schools: Kellogg '10
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 87 [0], given: 15

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all MIT Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2008, 05:26
ac8706 wrote:
rca215 wrote:
Anyone know much about visiting MIT in the summer? It looks like they just do 45 minute info sessions then give details on a self-guided tour. Is it really worth it to hold out until classes start? Is there sufficient time for class visits before R1 apps are due?


If you're able to go multiple times, go for it. If you haven't seen the campus before, it's great to walk around, see the area, etc. If you can only go once, I'd suggest waiting until school starts. There's great value in being able to interact with current students, sit in on a class, etc - it helps you evaluate your fit into the school a bit better.

For me, since I currently live in the midwest, I'll be flying out to visit once classes start. I plan to scout out potential dates, etc soon and get the airline ticket booked...Also, I went to school in the Boston area and have been to the campus enough times that I can find my way around pretty easily :)

cheers,
ac.


I live about 1 mile away, so you make a good point that it's more worthwhile for me to meet students and participate in a class since I'm clearly fairly familiar with the campus. Thanks for the input.

I'd rather not go multiple times to preserve vacation days.
_________________

http://www.fantasticcontraption.com

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 20 Aug 2007
Posts: 853
Location: Chicago
Schools: Chicago Booth 2011
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 82 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all MIT Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2008, 12:55
The MIT Sloan application looks like it's up and live now.
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 14 Sep 2007
Posts: 908
Schools: Kellogg '10
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 87 [0], given: 15

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all MIT Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2008, 13:42
Have they gotten rid of the E&I program? After a quick glance I don't see anything on it on the application or any supplemental required essays.
_________________

http://www.fantasticcontraption.com

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 14 Sep 2007
Posts: 908
Schools: Kellogg '10
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 87 [0], given: 15

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all MIT Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2008, 13:48
A question on the app:

It asks for your letter grade if you took Microeconomics and Calculus. I took 2 Micro courses, getting a B on one and an A on the other. What should I put? Also, I passed out of Calculus with AP scores. What should I put?

Thanks!
_________________

http://www.fantasticcontraption.com

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 20 Aug 2007
Posts: 853
Location: Chicago
Schools: Chicago Booth 2011
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 82 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all MIT Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2008, 13:53
rca215 wrote:
A question on the app:

It asks for your letter grade if you took Microeconomics and Calculus. I took 2 Micro courses, getting a B on one and an A on the other. What should I put? Also, I passed out of Calculus with AP scores. What should I put?

Thanks!


I would put the A, eventually they will look through your transcripts anyways so it's no big deal. I'm in the same situation for Calc. I took Calc 3 and 4 in college and got A's I will just put an A in for Calc.
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 14 Sep 2007
Posts: 908
Schools: Kellogg '10
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 87 [0], given: 15

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all MIT Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2008, 13:55
sonibubu wrote:
rca215 wrote:
A question on the app:

It asks for your letter grade if you took Microeconomics and Calculus. I took 2 Micro courses, getting a B on one and an A on the other. What should I put? Also, I passed out of Calculus with AP scores. What should I put?

Thanks!


I would put the A, eventually they will look through your transcripts anyways so it's no big deal. I'm in the same situation for Calc. I took Calc 3 and 4 in college and got A's I will just put an A in for Calc.


Thanks. The A was in the higher level course, so I guess that's more important.

Do you think it would be dumb to put something like "AP exempt" for the calculus questions?
_________________

http://www.fantasticcontraption.com

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 29 May 2008
Posts: 278
Schools: MIT
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all MIT Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2008, 14:49
rca215 wrote:
sonibubu wrote:
rca215 wrote:
A question on the app:

It asks for your letter grade if you took Microeconomics and Calculus. I took 2 Micro courses, getting a B on one and an A on the other. What should I put? Also, I passed out of Calculus with AP scores. What should I put?

Thanks!


I would put the A, eventually they will look through your transcripts anyways so it's no big deal. I'm in the same situation for Calc. I took Calc 3 and 4 in college and got A's I will just put an A in for Calc.


Thanks. The A was in the higher level course, so I guess that's more important.

Do you think it would be dumb to put something like "AP exempt" for the calculus questions?


Personally, I think that would be fine.
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 13 Feb 2007
Posts: 182
Schools: Harvard (No Interview), Cornell (Accepted), Duke (Accepted), Northwestern (Dinged)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 49 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all MIT Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2008, 17:05
Seeing those calculus posts makes me sweat a bit. I am definitely gonna be nervous when I have to put D+ in for calculus. Has an MIT student ever been acceptd with such a poor calculus grade?

Im hoping to explain away those terrible Freshman grades, and point to the high GMAT, plus the fact I passed the EIT (8 hour calculus intensive Engineer exam) on first try.

Still, i think i may be in over my head on MIT the more I think about it.

Confidence is waning....
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
User avatar
Joined: 10 Apr 2007
Posts: 4320
Location: Back in Chicago, IL
Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
Followers: 78

Kudos [?]: 692 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all MIT Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2008, 19:22
irishspring wrote:
Seeing those calculus posts makes me sweat a bit. I am definitely gonna be nervous when I have to put D+ in for calculus. Has an MIT student ever been acceptd with such a poor calculus grade?

Im hoping to explain away those terrible Freshman grades, and point to the high GMAT, plus the fact I passed the EIT (8 hour calculus intensive Engineer exam) on first try.

Still, i think i may be in over my head on MIT the more I think about it.

Confidence is waning....


Honestly I think my crappy calc grade did hurt (I think it was a C or C+)...especially combined with the fact that MIT is exremely popular with engineers. I tried to show high grades in other quant courses including higher level math classes during college and a good quant score on my GMAT. I also pointed out that I do quant stuff at work but that grade stands out terribly on their application. I mean its right there for them to see, so its one of those things that gets highlighted. Its kind of like having 30 years old on an HBS application.

It is my view that for engineers MIT is an uphill battle because of MIT's popularity with engineers. Yes, about 1/3rd of almost every top schools' class is made of engineers but MIT attract engineer applicants in larger numbers so the competition is tougher than at other schools for engineers. Many engineers hold the MIT brand in such high regard they carry it into their MBA search. I wouldnt tell you not to apply to MIT, especially if you can write some great material for the essays. Its definitely doable to get in, just look at what material you have to work with for the essays since they are a little "different"...thats where you will be able to show you belong.
_________________

Kellogg Class of 2010...still active and willing to help. However, I do not do profile reviews, don't offer predictions on chances and am far to busy to review essays, so save the energy of writing me a PM seeking help for these. If I don't respond to a PM that is not one of the previously mentioned trash can destined messages, please don't take it personally I get so many messages I have a hard to responding to most. The more interesting, compelling, or humorous you message the more likely I am to respond.
Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Current Student
avatar
Joined: 20 Dec 2007
Posts: 72
Schools: MIT Sloan
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all MIT Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2008, 04:09
Just to help out those who are applying to MIT Sloan. Believe me MIT Sloan isn't looking for engineers. Yes, there are engineers in the class, but Rod Garcia is pushing hard for those that have the leadership and soft skills. I can definitely say this is true because even though my undergrad degree was in a hard science, I am pretty far away from the stereotype of an engineer. My personal take on all the students I've met so far is that there is a serious misconception about the "nerdy" culture. Don't confuse Sloan with the other graduate programs at MIT. I'm not cheerleading for MIT. I have a brother over at HBS and there is a difference in the culture but a negligible difference in the people.
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 20 Aug 2007
Posts: 853
Location: Chicago
Schools: Chicago Booth 2011
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 82 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all MIT Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2008, 09:53
I've heard that at MIT Sloan it actually makes a difference whether you apply R1 or R2 (since R2 is the last round); i.e. R1 has an advantage over R2 at Sloan.

In the FAQ section it says:

There are no competitive advantages to applying in either round. There is a competitive disadvantage to applying after the final deadline, as the decision process is well underway and the class is being chosen.

Anyone have insight into this? How much, if any, advantage goes to R1 applicants (especially this year)?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 29 May 2008
Posts: 278
Schools: MIT
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all MIT Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2008, 10:15
sonibubu wrote:
I've heard that at MIT Sloan it actually makes a difference whether you apply R1 or R2 (since R2 is the last round); i.e. R1 has an advantage over R2 at Sloan.

In the FAQ section it says:

There are no competitive advantages to applying in either round. There is a competitive disadvantage to applying after the final deadline, as the decision process is well underway and the class is being chosen.

Anyone have insight into this? How much, if any, advantage goes to R1 applicants (especially this year)?



Well, I think it might matter this year. But I recall reading a transcript with one of the adcoms from last year, and the individual said the same thing - that R1 and R2 are equally competitive. (I'll see if I can find that transcript). However, I've heard rumors that the acceptance rate for R1 and R2 this year were significantly different. Now whether that's because better prepared and qualified candidates applied R1 this year or because R2 is just more competitive is up for debate. But I think I'm going to hit R1 for sure.
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 16 May 2008
Posts: 885
Location: Earth
Schools: Cornell '11
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 131 [0], given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all MIT Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2008, 10:46
Do you think OR are you sure? Cant be both :wink:

smkrn wrote:
But I think I'm going to hit R1 for sure.

_________________

"George is getting upset!"

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 29 May 2008
Posts: 278
Schools: MIT
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all MIT Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2008, 10:50
raabenb wrote:
Do you think OR are you sure? Cant be both :wink:

smkrn wrote:
But I think I'm going to hit R1 for sure.


Actually, I just decided for sure today! R1 for me.
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 14 Sep 2007
Posts: 908
Schools: Kellogg '10
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 87 [0], given: 15

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all MIT Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2008, 12:11
Anyone know what's up with the E&I program this year? (sorry for the repeat)
_________________

http://www.fantasticcontraption.com

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 29 May 2008
Posts: 278
Schools: MIT
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all MIT Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 31 Jul 2008, 09:56
So have any of you decided how you're going to try and include information about your EC's/interests and associated leadership? (Because there's no longer a place to list EC's, awards, or interests.)
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 14 Sep 2007
Posts: 908
Schools: Kellogg '10
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 87 [0], given: 15

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all MIT Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 31 Jul 2008, 18:09
smkrn wrote:
So have any of you decided how you're going to try and include information about your EC's/interests and associated leadership? (Because there's no longer a place to list EC's, awards, or interests.)


Sadly, my essay #4 might be a mix of ECs and some other random stuff. I'm not sure if the expectation for it, though, is to be a nice cohesive essay like the others.
_________________

http://www.fantasticcontraption.com

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: Calling all MIT Fall 2009 applicants!   [#permalink] 31 Jul 2008, 18:09
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
104 Calling all Kellogg Fall 2009 Applicants! MGOBLUE2 2298 11 Jul 2008, 12:07
80 Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants! isa 989 10 Jul 2008, 19:05
12 Calling all Tuck Fall 2009 applicants! isa 737 10 Jul 2008, 18:42
34 Calling all Berkeley-Haas Fall 2009 Applicants agold 632 12 Jun 2008, 10:18
53 Experts publish their posts in the topic Calling all HBS Fall 2009 Applicants devansh_god 722 04 May 2008, 06:22
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Calling all MIT Fall 2009 applicants!

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  27    Next  [ 531 posts ] 



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.