Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 17:35 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 17:35

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Schools:Wharton
 Q47  V46
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Schools:MIT Sloan
 Q41  V46
Send PM
Re: Calling all MIT Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink]
I'm sorry to hear about those who were dinged - most of you whose posts I remember have real stand up accomplishments, so extrapolating how it turned out for the r1 dings, you should be able to secure a spot in a great school as well! To those on WL - hope is still alive! A poster on BW who attended AdMIT (i wasn't there) shared that most admits he spoke to had offers from other schools, so chin up and good luck!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
MIT is a strange beast indeed.

Anyone know how many they took off the waitlist last year?

I was looking at the waitlist chat from last year. From 75 waitlistees to 100-200 (seems like a lot closer to 200) this year with no R1ers seems so weird. What are they doing?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
Schools:Wharton (R1), MIT (R1), Chicago (R2), Kellogg (R2)
 Q51  V41
Send PM
Sorry to hear so many Dings.

Isa, zoiink, here is the R2 consolidated summary based on page 1 and the updates from everyone. Do post this in the first page. I sorted the list in alphabetical order.

R2 – MIT
Total Applicants: 19
Admits: 0 (Not Yet)
Invite to Interview: 2
Dings: 8
Waitlist: 4
Unknown: 4
Withdrawn: 1

appukutty - Waitlist
arshia22 – Ding
asdert – Ding
Coolrun-Ding
dp122008 - ?
DanielPlainview- Ding
foodstamp – Invite to Interview
GandalftheGrey - ?
Hardestadt- Ding
intrinsicreality - ?
labomba – Waitlist
lasttotheparty – Invite to Interview
maidinindya - Waitlist
ma.agrawal – Ding
pguard - Withdrawn
Praz – Waitlist
pursuittowardsmba - ?
sset009 – Ding
Zimzamzum – Ding

Edited 3/10/09 to include Pguard's statu (withdrawn)

Originally posted by poochandi on 09 Mar 2009, 21:08.
Last edited by poochandi on 10 Mar 2009, 15:14, edited 1 time in total.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Finance, Ibanking
Schools:Chicago Booth '11
Send PM
pguard--withdrawn
Current Student
Concentration: Consulting
Schools:Haas Harvard Sloan Yale
 Q46  V41
Send PM
Had an interview today... Didn't go so hot - I guess I was overwhelmed with nervousness! And the interviewer forgot to ask for my official transcript. I definitely needed some cookie-therapy afterwards...

The interviewer was cordial and definitely wanted to know more about specific things I'd mentioned in my apps and on my resume.

Anyway, here are the questions I remember:
Walk me through your resume
Tell me about something recent at work that you're proud of
Tell me about a piece of feedback you received from a supervisor and how it changed you
Why MBA
Why Sloan
What do you wish you'd been asked
What do you do outside of work

Best of luck to everyone!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
lasttotheparty wrote:
Had an interview today... Didn't go so hot - I guess I was overwhelmed with nervousness! And the interviewer forgot to ask for my official transcript. I definitely needed some cookie-therapy afterwards...

The interviewer was cordial and definitely wanted to know more about specific things I'd mentioned in my apps and on my resume.

Anyway, here are the questions I remember:
Walk me through your resume
Tell me about something recent at work that you're proud of
Tell me about a piece of feedback you received from a supervisor and how it changed you
Why MBA
Why Sloan
What do you wish you'd been asked
What do you do outside of work

Best of luck to everyone!

I'm sure you did fine, no worries. I find that those who claim they had a great interview always seem to be explaining away a rejection. And the rest of us have just average interviews. :)
Manager
Manager
 Q51  V41
Send PM
wanted to share this ... cool stuff

https://www.ted.com/index.php/talks/patt ... sense.html
Current Student
Concentration: Consulting
Schools:Haas Harvard Sloan Yale
 Q46  V41
Send PM
Two more weeks... ugh.
Manager
Manager
 Q51  V41
Send PM
I need some inputs based on my interview ...

On the day of the interview, I called the Hotel early in the morning to confirm my Interview. However a record of this interview was not on their roster. Apprehensive about the interview location and considering that there was a prior change in interview location from Place A to this hotel which was communicated to me by email, I reached an hour early after driving 50 miles. For the next 50 minutes, I checked multiple times with the front lobby but still a record of the interview still didnt exist. I contacted MIT admissions office inbetween who contacted the interviewer and confirmed the location. A person working for the hotel confirmed the interview just 5 minutes before the scheduled appointment. I am not clear if this person in the hotel failed to include this in the roster. I wonder why this process was not automated. Considering how selective MIT Sloan is for interview, I was anxious and did not want to miss this interview by not being in the right location at the right time and felt nervous during this time. Obviously I didnt perform as well as I had hoped to. I missed out even basic facts that I had met the interviewer a couple of times earlier etc.

Over the last few months, I deliberated whether to bring this to MIT's attention. I didnt want to appear as complaining but at the same time I felt disadvantaged by the interview scheduling process and had to unnecessarily go out of my way to confirm the location instead of composing myself and my thoughts before an important interview.

What are your thoughts? Should I let MIT know?
Manager
Manager
 Q51  V41
Send PM
I mentioned this confusion to the interviewer at the start of the interview. The interviewer mentioned that while the interviews in the last two days were conducted at a well known Place A (office not hotel), since there were only two interviews on the day I interviewed, the interview location was changed from place A to the hotel at which the interviewer stayed so that it was convenient for the interviewer. I didnt want to dwell on this further for obvious reasons and wanted to get on with my interview. I feel that at the least the location should be clear and without ambiguity.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
No, that's a weak excuse at best. If you can't handle interview pressure like that, how are you expected to handle the real-world? I would not bring it up to their attention.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 222 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy, MC
Schools:Kellogg '11
Send PM
poochandi wrote:
Over the last few months, I deliberated whether to bring this to MIT's attention. I didnt want to appear as complaining but at the same time I felt disadvantaged by the interview scheduling process and had to unnecessarily go out of my way to confirm the location instead of composing myself and my thoughts before an important interview.

I would be wary of calling MIT about that. Last thing you want is to call unnecessary attention to the negative aspects of your interview. It sounds like you did all the right things from your side prior to the interview in confirming the location, the interviewer, etc and since it happened on time...from MIT's perspective, it could sound as though you're complaining? I (personally) wouldn't call MIT about this.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Schools:HBS, MIT Sloan, Stanford, Haas (withdrew with interview invite)
Send PM
poochandi wrote:

On the day of the interview, I called the Hotel early in the morning to confirm my Interview. However a record of this interview was not on their roster. Apprehensive about the interview location and considering that there was a prior change in interview location from Place A to this hotel which was communicated to me by email, I reached an hour early after driving 50 miles. For the next 50 minutes, I checked multiple times with the front lobby but still a record of the interview still didnt exist. I contacted MIT admissions office inbetween who contacted the interviewer and confirmed the location. A person working for the hotel confirmed the interview just 5 minutes before the scheduled appointment. I am not clear if this person in the hotel failed to include this in the roster. I wonder why this process was not automated. Considering how selective MIT Sloan is for interview, I was anxious and did not want to miss this interview by not being in the right location at the right time and felt nervous during this time. Obviously I didnt perform as well as I had hoped to. I missed out even basic facts that I had met the interviewer a couple of times earlier etc.

Definitely don't call them. You mentioned the confusion at the interview itself and bringing it up again will only draw attention to it. MIT also changed my interview the week of. In my case it was the date/time, and not the location. Maybe they do a stress test? Just a thought.
Manager
Manager
 Q51  V41
Send PM
lars23, isa, BigBad: Thanks a lots for the nice tips. I am keeping my fingers crossed for next week.
Manager
Manager
 Q51  V41
Send PM
foodstamp and appukutty: Congrats on your HBS and Stanford admits respectively.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 70 [0]
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
Schools:HBS Class of 2011
Send PM
Looks like MIT started calling people!

I am in! :) My decision just got harder.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Finance, Ibanking
Schools:Chicago Booth '11
Send PM
foodstamp wrote:
Looks like MIT started calling people!

I am in! :) My decision just got harder.

Congrats, stamp. That completes a very impressive rd2 app season. Nicely done.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27