Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 19:20

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all MIT Sloan 2008 applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
SVP
SVP
Schools: Ross '10
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 165 [0], given: 1

[#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2007, 12:26
MIT chat transcript available on accepted.com

http://www.accepted.com/chat/transcript ... 7_mit.aspx

I especially loved this exchange..

khaccuong (Oct 22, 2007 1:19:31 PM)
Jennifer, when you evaluate an application, what are the three most important qualities you want to see before you will vote to admit an applicant?

JenniferBurkeBarbaMIT (Oct 22, 2007 1:19:47 PM)
Gmat, gmat, gmat....

JenniferBurkeBarbaMIT (Oct 22, 2007 1:19:51 PM)
just kidding :-)
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2007, 13:01
DId anyone mark YES to be considered for the E & I program?
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2007, 13:16
yay yay yay ........done with 36 hours to go. Now all R1's out - guess the wait begins
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
Followers: 78

Kudos [?]: 701 [0], given: 5

[#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2007, 13:28
I actually went to MIT again today. Especially good to hear, I thought I had heard it before but wasn't sure was that R1 is far better than R2. Only about 1/3 of applicants apply in R1 and they have roughly the same number of seats to compete for. 100% of admits get interviewed, 30% get interviewed, so if you get an invite your chances are extremely good.

Dont forget tomorrow at 3pm est.
Director
Director
Schools: Chicago Booth 2010
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2007, 14:51
Kwam - Submitted Date: 10/28/2007 3:40:00 PM E.S.T.
ncprasad - Submitted 10/28/07 2.10 PST
CookieMonster - still working on essay OUTLINES.
riverripper - Essays written (editing), cover letter not started, optional complete
sangoman - Essays 2 frozen, two semi solid , cover letter and optional essay not started
aurobindo - Submitted for R1. 1 reco in. Waiting for 2nd reco.
collegesenior - Starting on essays. Made broad plan for each. Apping in R1.
DrivinWest - Cover letter 75%, 2 x 75% done, 2 x 0% done but I just had an epiphany on the topic... going to pound it out right now.
dabots - Submitted 10/29/07 6:45 pm
saurabh357 - Submitted 10/29/07 10:12 Pm IST
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

word count [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2007, 15:09
Anyone know how MIT adcoms view deviations from specified essay word count?

are they somewhat accomodating, or are they like "under 500 or in the trash?"

my cover letter is 600 words, but i dont want to cut it anymore.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

[#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2007, 15:25
I was told by an adcom they look much more favorably on someone who can write an essay below the limit than one who feels the need to go over. This was strongly emphasized and I guess being short and sweet is what they want. They dont count words but they give a limit for a reason. That said a 5% over is probably easy enough to sneak by without seeming over the limit and even 10% wouldnt be too bad. Personally I would hack a few sentences out. Also remember the word count is on the body not the fluff like dear mr garcia and sincerely cookie monster.

Remember unlike a lot of schools, Sloan doesn't use students in their process so the adcoms are doing ALL of the reading. You may be better off moving stuff into the end of the supplemental area.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

[#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2007, 15:34
riverripper wrote:
I was told by an adcom they look much more favorably on someone who can write an essay below the limit than one who feels the need to go over. This was strongly emphasized and I guess being short and sweet is what they want. They dont count words but they give a limit for a reason. That said a 5% over is probably easy enough to sneak by without seeming over the limit and even 10% wouldnt be too bad. Personally I would hack a few sentences out. Also remember the word count is on the body not the fluff like dear mr garcia and sincerely cookie monster.

Remember unlike a lot of schools, Sloan doesn't use students in their process so the adcoms are doing ALL of the reading. You may be better off moving stuff into the end of the supplemental area.

thanks for the prompt response.
I just think the letter is powerful now, and each line i cut will weaken it.

but i'll continue to cut. thanks
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

[#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2007, 15:45
It gets painful taking more and more out. I found the easiest way to do it was give it to someone else and have them tell me what to remove. I become to attached to how it is and need an outside opinion on what is not value added.

I sent mine to my brother for a final proofreading and taking his suggestions they have gone from 500-525 words each down to 475 on average (one or two are closer to 450 than 500). Just some of the stuff didn't add to my story and they actually seem to have a much better impact when they are shorter. He had some great points about what was useless, and what he didnt understand or didnt care about.

Question for anyone who has an opinion, I am putting mine all into PDF format (gotta love macs) and am curious if people put the essays at the start?
Director
Director
Schools: Chicago Booth 2010
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2007, 15:46
riverripper wrote:
It gets painful taking more and more out. I found the easiest way to do it was give it to someone else and have them tell me what to remove. I become to attached to how it is and need an outside opinion on what is not value added.

I sent mine to my brother for a final proofreading and taking his suggestions they have gone from 500-525 words each down to 475 on average (one or two are closer to 450 than 500). Just some of the stuff didn't add to my story and they actually seem to have a much better impact when they are shorter. He had some great points about what was useless, and what he didnt understand or didnt care about.

Question for anyone who has an opinion, I am putting mine all into PDF format (gotta love macs) and am curious if people put the essays at the start?

why are you putting them into pdf? the applyyourself site converts everything to pdf anyway. i repeated the questions at the top just because the essays topics are so damn similar, even though the site adds a heading in the corner.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

[#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2007, 15:55
dabots wrote:
riverripper wrote:

why are you putting them into pdf? the applyyourself site converts everything to pdf anyway. i repeated the questions at the top just because the essays topics are so damn similar, even though the site adds a heading in the corner.

Everything is always screwed up going from mac to pc so its easier to just export them as pdfs to be on the safe side.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

[#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2007, 17:08
So my application is done but my recs haven't come through. Both have done all of them to this point and I know they had them answered. I am paranoid now.

Amazingly I think these are my best set of essays so far. I still hate the questions but they actualy turned out very well. Then again this is also the most difficult school I am applying to, especially as an engineer.
Director
Director
Affiliations: FRM Charter holder
Schools: Stanford, Chicago Booth, Babson College
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 4

[#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2007, 00:06
I am relieved. Both recos are in :)

wish u good luck to all R1 guys.
Manager
Manager
Schools: MIT
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2007, 00:22
Mine looks like a race against time. :-D

2 essays to go. 2 recos to come.

Time for a nap before I take another shot!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

[#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2007, 00:24
collegesenior wrote:
Mine looks like a race against time. :-D

2 essays to go. 2 recos to come.

Time for a nap before I take another shot!

im racing too..2 all-nighters in a row, and like 4 last week!
VP
VP
Schools: Chicago Booth Class of 2010
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 156 [0], given: 3

[#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2007, 01:13
I'm going to have a heart attack. Neither of them are in. My direct supervisor has a meeting and it seems he just won't have time for that.

I will have to go for a PlanB
Current Student
WE 1: Hi-tech Product Development
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 72 [0], given: 3

[#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2007, 01:14
kwam wrote:

And that is?!?
VP
VP

[#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2007, 01:59
KingKREEP wrote:
kwam wrote:

And that is?!?

I've just checked that at Sloan there's no room for a Plan B. I can't change the recommenders or put a 3rd once I registered my recommenders...

It's going to be a very tough day
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

[#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2007, 02:26
Still missing one rec...This is going to be a stressful day. At least its my supervisor whose office is right across from mine so its not that hard to find him
VP
VP

[#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2007, 05:03
1 reco down 1 to go, from my supervisor, I've already asked him twice, now I'm on the thin line of really piss him off.
  [#permalink] 30 Oct 2007, 05:03