Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Jul 2014, 15:06

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all MIT Sloan 2008 applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Schools: Chicago Booth 2010
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2007, 09:44
ncprasad wrote:
I am inclined to be conservative. If you write this hastily, then chances are you will make mistakes and end up with an essay that is not at the same level as your other ones. BTW, what is your theme for this supplemental essay.

CookieMonster wrote:
im debating about whether to hit submit or write a supplementary essay real quick..

what do you guys think?

true. i would only do it if you are copying pasting from a polished essay...which is what i basically did.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
WE 1: Social Gaming
Followers: 63

Kudos [?]: 327 [0], given: 14

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2007, 09:47
agreed with dabots. I have a "spare" optional essay I wrote for Haas that I used for UCLA and expanded for Stanford. It's pretty polished, and I probably will use it for Kellogg.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2007, 09:48
dabots wrote:
ncprasad wrote:
I am inclined to be conservative. If you write this hastily, then chances are you will make mistakes and end up with an essay that is not at the same level as your other ones. BTW, what is your theme for this supplemental essay.

CookieMonster wrote:
im debating about whether to hit submit or write a supplementary essay real quick..

what do you guys think?

true. i would only do it if you are copying pasting from a polished essay...which is what i basically did.

yeah maybe I shouldnt
It would no doubt be garbage compared to my 4 essays and cover letter....
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2007, 09:51
do you guys think they use the "Optional Information" section?

the one where you report the events you went to and people you talked to.
SVP
SVP
Schools: Ross '10
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 160 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2007, 09:58
You bet.

dabots wrote:

Current Student
Schools: The University of Texas at Austin

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2007, 10:20
Kwam - Submitted Date: 10/28/2007 3:40:00 PM E.S.T.
ncprasad - Submitted 10/28/07 2.10 PST
CookieMonster - Its going to be a buzzer beater
riverripper - Submitted 10/30/07 (visited yesterday had to put names and details in a few spots)
sangoman - Essays 2 frozen, two semi solid , cover letter and optional essay not started
aurobindo - Submitted for R1. All in
collegesenior -Submitted
dabots - Submitted 10/29/07 6:45 pm
saurabh357 - Submitted 10/29/07 10:12 Pm IST
deepuaries - Submitted 10/29/07
Toploader - Submitted 10/30/07

Last edited by Toploader on 26 Nov 2007, 14:50, edited 2 times in total.
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2007, 10:21
ncprasad wrote:
You bet.

dabots wrote:

good, i squeezed in another an alumni from work i talked to
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2007, 17:09
I want to apply in R2. Do you guys have any recommendations/suggestions for me, based on your R1 experience?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
Followers: 77

Kudos [?]: 691 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2007, 17:22
Start now...the essays are so different than all the other schools that what you learned doing those wont help. I thought they were the toughest by far. They took it off their site because they were confusing people due to having different requirements in different areas but they STRONGLY prefer your essays be about experiences during the last 2 years. If your best example is from 4 years ago use it but if its not a huge life defining experience you may want to find something more recent.

They LOVE people to visit. They actually said that it really does play a large factor in their decisions, not many schools will admit that. On their app there are areas to say when you visited, what events you went to, any other times you met with adcoms...so take as many opportunities to do that as you can. It is a whole page so it looks a lot better to have 2 or 3 times meeting with them than a blank page. Unfortunately for R2 applicants they also said R1 has 1/3 of the applicants and they accept almost half the class out of it.
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2007, 18:51
Thanks riverripper!

I'm working on essay #2 and #4. Yes, the essay is the toughest part so far. Regarding essay #1, probably I'll use my experience from 5 years ago. I started my own small business 5 years ago and I think it's a wonderful experience, especially since many of our ex-employees have started their own business too :)

I'm in SE Asia. And unfortunately I am unable to visit the campus. I only travel frequently thorough Asia, sometimes Europe, and never visited US. Frankly speaking, in my country, it is very tough to obtain a visa to US and takes up to 2-4 months. :) However, I met several MIT alums here, and they share a lot of insight and suggest me several important point in my application.

Last edited by redhead on 31 Oct 2007, 05:39, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2007, 18:59
Anyway, I'm considering to use consultant to proofread and critique my essay, since I'm not a native speaker and the rest of my application was not really great. Sometimes its hard to be critical of your own work so if you don't have anyone who is unbiased review your work that will hurt.

I believe that they have the experience dealing with a lot of MBA applicants. They typically know how to use your experiences to prepare your strongest application. I'm looking for consultant, preferably ex-MIT adcom/student, who knows the inner MBA adcoms’ intricacies and who can use that knowledge to critique my essays.

Any suggestions?
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2007, 19:13
Kwam - Submitted Date: 10/28/2007 3:40:00 PM E.S.T.
ncprasad - Submitted 10/28/07 2.10 PST
CookieMonster - Its going to be a buzzer beater
riverripper - Submitted 10/30/07 (visited yesterday had to put names and details in a few spots)
aurobindo - Submitted for R1. All in
collegesenior -Submitted
dabots - Submitted 10/29/07 6:45 pm
saurabh357 - Submitted 10/29/07 10:12 Pm IST
deepuaries - Submitted 10/29/07
DrivinWest - Submitted 10/30/07
sangoman - Submitted 10/29/07
Director
Director
Schools: Kellogg '10

Kudos [?]: 87 [0], given: 15

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2007, 09:55
riverripper wrote:
They LOVE people to visit. They actually said that it really does play a large factor in their decisions, not many schools will admit that. On their app there are areas to say when you visited, what events you went to, any other times you met with adcoms...so take as many opportunities to do that as you can. It is a whole page so it looks a lot better to have 2 or 3 times meeting with them than a blank page. Unfortunately for R2 applicants they also said R1 has 1/3 of the applicants and they accept almost half the class out of it.

Any recommendations on ways to visit other than through the half-day Ambassadors program? I haven't found anything on their website about other events for prospective students that they run in Cambridge.

I'm not applying until next year, but I'd like to start "courting" them if you will. It helps that I live about 8 blocks away!
Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
A Problem [#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2007, 12:45
Guys,
I just found out that my second reco is noy yet in. I submitted my applicationfor R1 and got confirmation from MIT. The recommender confirmed with me he submitted but it does not show as such. Anyone know if MIT accepts the reco after the deadline.
Please relive me of the shivers...
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

GMAT Tests User
Re: A Problem [#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2007, 14:20
vij101 wrote:
Guys,
I just found out that my second reco is noy yet in. I submitted my applicationfor R1 and got confirmation from MIT. The recommender confirmed with me he submitted but it does not show as such. Anyone know if MIT accepts the reco after the deadline.

Sorry vij but I guess I need to break the terrible news to you. I was told they do not. I asked on the 29th (when I visited) because I was nervous one of mine wouldn't come through, thankfully both did.

The answer was "no sorry, recommenders have the same deadline as applicants."

Your one hope would be to call and say that he said he submitted it but the status does not reflect that.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: A Problem [#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2007, 06:54
riverripper wrote:
vij101 wrote:
Guys,

Sorry vij but I guess I need to break the terrible news to you. I was told they do not. I asked on the 29th (when I visited) because I was nervous one of mine wouldn't come through, thankfully both did.

Your one hope would be to call and say that he said he submitted it but the status does not reflect that.

What if its mailed in and gets there on the same day as the deadline?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2007, 07:28
Don't know about the mail in part. You could call and talk to them about whether they received it or not.
Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: A Problem [#permalink] New post 02 Nov 2007, 11:12
riverripper wrote:
vij101 wrote:
Guys,

The MIT gods have smiled upon me and accepted my application for Round 1 despite the fact that the recommendation came in two days late.
I got the email confirmation just now.
Feels good to be a bit relieved.
Now the wait startssssss
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 04 Nov 2007, 14:46
So any one know when invites for interviews went out the last few years.
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 04 Nov 2007, 14:59
is the app status supposed to change from submitted to complete? mine still says submitted.
  [#permalink] 04 Nov 2007, 14:59