Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 17:55

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all MIT Sloan 2008 applicants

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 10 Dec 2007
Posts: 327
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all MIT Sloan 2008 applicants [#permalink] New post 30 Jan 2008, 03:23
Yeah, it does look nice, but seriously, at MIT? ... no way man. Not at an engineering school. Actually, if you want a decent laptop that has delivers on the rational side, the macbook air is not for you. I do like it as well, but will probably get a macbook pro or a smaller notebook such as the dellm1330 (see the discussion about computers). I can already see the UCLA girlies bringing their macbook airs to class this fall. :)

They allow 5k so you have some room to maneuver when you take out loans (since these are based on what the school estimates is your total cost of attendance).
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 14 Aug 2007
Posts: 23
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all MIT Sloan 2008 applicants [#permalink] New post 30 Jan 2008, 05:40
aceman626 wrote:
for tech, go to MIT.
for marketing, go to Kellogg.


kryzak wrote:
nontraditional, based on what you said you want to do, I think MIT is a better fit. Make sure yourself by attending the admit weekends, but no one can beat MIT in tech (and I'm a huge Haas fan saying that :P)


Thank you for the responses. I really want to do hi-tech, product marketing. Hence, my applications to the MMM program and to MIT. I'm going to move forward with MIT. I agree that it's the best choice for my career path. The students raved and raved about the program. They were so outgoing. Cambridge and Boston are awesome. Nuff said.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 15 Jan 2008
Posts: 347
Location: Evanston, IL
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all MIT Sloan 2008 applicants [#permalink] New post 30 Jan 2008, 06:28
nontraditional wrote:
aceman626 wrote:
for tech, go to MIT.
for marketing, go to Kellogg.


kryzak wrote:
nontraditional, based on what you said you want to do, I think MIT is a better fit. Make sure yourself by attending the admit weekends, but no one can beat MIT in tech (and I'm a huge Haas fan saying that :P)


Thank you for the responses. I really want to do hi-tech, product marketing. Hence, my applications to the MMM program and to MIT. I'm going to move forward with MIT. I agree that it's the best choice for my career path. The students raved and raved about the program. They were so outgoing. Cambridge and Boston are awesome. Nuff said.


I love MIT too - but have the same decision to make: Kellogg vs. MIT. Hi-tech, product marketing really is a tough putt to decide between the two schools! My friend at Kellogg just had to decide between offers as a Product Manager (MSFT), Brand Manager (MSFT), and Marketing role (Google) after focusing on high-tech marketing at Kellogg. MIT has one of the best product focused entrepreneurship/product management program too! Especially if you're into early phase high-tech product marketing, MIT is second to none.

I think everyone here is right in saying that for high-tech theres no better place than MIT. For product marketing, though, there's probably no place better than Kellogg.

I'm going to wait until visiting AdMIT weekend and DAK before making the decision between the two schools since its such a tough call in my mind.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 14 Aug 2007
Posts: 23
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all MIT Sloan 2008 applicants [#permalink] New post 30 Jan 2008, 07:07
Steel wrote:
I love MIT too - but have the same decision to make: Kellogg vs. MIT. Hi-tech, product marketing really is a tough putt to decide between the two schools! My friend at Kellogg just had to decide between offers as a Product Manager (MSFT), Brand Manager (MSFT), and Marketing role (Google) after focusing on high-tech marketing at Kellogg. MIT has one of the best product focused entrepreneurship/product management program too! Especially if you're into early phase high-tech product marketing, MIT is second to none.

I think everyone here is right in saying that for high-tech theres no better place than MIT. For product marketing, though, there's probably no place better than Kellogg.

I'm going to wait until visiting AdMIT weekend and DAK before making the decision between the two schools since its such a tough call in my mind.


It's nice to know that you're going through the same thing. Thanks for speaking up. Are you already accepted at Kellogg? I'm admitted to MIT and waiting for an R2 decision from Kellogg. I'm thinking that if I am admitted to the MMM program then I'll go to admit weekend (DAK?) before closing the door on the decision forever. But by that time I will have had to put down $3000 on MIT, find a place to live, etc., so it will be harder and harder to overturn the decision.

Your friend at Kellogg makes it clear that a hi-tech, product marketing career can be launched from either school. I want to go to a bigger company for a few years to learn how real professionals do it, and then either start something of my own or get in at ground zero of a start-up. After ~5 years at a Google or a Microsoft I think experience will be the most important factor, but MIT certainly says "I know what I'm talking about" like no other school on the planet. Thoughts?

What are your plans? What does the decision hinge on for you?

If you find any good MIT vs. Northwestern material could you post a link? I'll do the same.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
User avatar
Joined: 10 Apr 2007
Posts: 4320
Location: Back in Chicago, IL
Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
Followers: 77

Kudos [?]: 691 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all MIT Sloan 2008 applicants [#permalink] New post 30 Jan 2008, 07:10
At least you wont be swayed by fancy facilities at either school. Since both Kellogg and MIT have some crappy buildings. Both will get you a great job, MIT is supposed to have a more rigorous academic program, while Kellogg is supposed to develop soft skills better than anyplace (complaints about lack of soft skills are a complaint from a lot of companies lately). It very well can come down to where would you rather live for at least two years...Boston vs Chicago.

I have some family in advertising and I have almost all the high up marketing directors they deal with at clients are Kellogg grads. These people are in everything from booze marketing to high tech to beauty products.
_________________

Kellogg Class of 2010...still active and willing to help. However, I do not do profile reviews, don't offer predictions on chances and am far to busy to review essays, so save the energy of writing me a PM seeking help for these. If I don't respond to a PM that is not one of the previously mentioned trash can destined messages, please don't take it personally I get so many messages I have a hard to responding to most. The more interesting, compelling, or humorous you message the more likely I am to respond.
Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 12 Nov 2007
Posts: 21
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all MIT Sloan 2008 applicants [#permalink] New post 30 Jan 2008, 07:30
nontraditional wrote:
It's nice to know that you're going through the same thing. Thanks for speaking up. Are you already accepted at Kellogg? I'm admitted to MIT and waiting for an R2 decision from Kellogg. I'm thinking that if I am admitted to the MMM program then I'll go to admit weekend (DAK?) before closing the door on the decision forever. But by that time I will have had to put down $3000 on MIT, find a place to live, etc., so it will be harder and harder to overturn the decision.


nontraditional, I think you may be able to call up Sloan and have them extend the decision deadline so you can decide after you go to DAK. That way, you won't need to cough up the $3000 immediately. I could be wrong though.

Anyone here have experience with asking for an extension to the decision deadline? I think it's March 14 for Sloan.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 06 Jan 2008
Posts: 86
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all MIT Sloan 2008 applicants [#permalink] New post 30 Jan 2008, 07:56
Just received a standardized email from MIT indicating my application was complete. Of note, it states that they will beginning sending out interview invites in early March, so we've got a bit of a wait.
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 10 Dec 2007
Posts: 327
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all MIT Sloan 2008 applicants [#permalink] New post 30 Jan 2008, 08:02
wisepig wrote:
nontraditional wrote:
It's nice to know that you're going through the same thing. Thanks for speaking up. Are you already accepted at Kellogg? I'm admitted to MIT and waiting for an R2 decision from Kellogg. I'm thinking that if I am admitted to the MMM program then I'll go to admit weekend (DAK?) before closing the door on the decision forever. But by that time I will have had to put down $3000 on MIT, find a place to live, etc., so it will be harder and harder to overturn the decision.


nontraditional, I think you may be able to call up Sloan and have them extend the decision deadline so you can decide after you go to DAK. That way, you won't need to cough up the $3000 immediately. I could be wrong though.

Anyone here have experience with asking for an extension to the decision deadline? I think it's March 14 for Sloan.


I asked IESE to extend my deadline and it wasnt a problem. (name a date! dont just say extend, tell them by how long)
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 29 Aug 2007
Posts: 107
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all MIT Sloan 2008 applicants [#permalink] New post 30 Jan 2008, 08:08
Hey dox, I just got the same email. I am pretty surprised that they wait so long to start interviewing people.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 15 Jan 2008
Posts: 347
Location: Evanston, IL
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all MIT Sloan 2008 applicants [#permalink] New post 30 Jan 2008, 08:36
nontraditional wrote:

It's nice to know that you're going through the same thing. Thanks for speaking up. Are you already accepted at Kellogg? I'm admitted to MIT and waiting for an R2 decision from Kellogg. I'm thinking that if I am admitted to the MMM program then I'll go to admit weekend (DAK?) before closing the door on the decision forever. But by that time I will have had to put down $3000 on MIT, find a place to live, etc., so it will be harder and harder to overturn the decision.

Your friend at Kellogg makes it clear that a hi-tech, product marketing career can be launched from either school. I want to go to a bigger company for a few years to learn how real professionals do it, and then either start something of my own or get in at ground zero of a start-up. After ~5 years at a Google or a Microsoft I think experience will be the most important factor, but MIT certainly says "I know what I'm talking about" like no other school on the planet. Thoughts?

What are your plans? What does the decision hinge on for you?

If you find any good MIT vs. Northwestern material could you post a link? I'll do the same.


Yup - I'm admitted to both. I'm going to do the whole program analysis and come to grips on my own priorities between Entrepreneurship vs. Marketing vs. Strategy etc. I'll do the whole thought experiment on comparing programs, but I think at the end of the day, its probably going to come down to where I feel I fit most comfortably with the people (as evidenced by AdMIT/DAK weekends and other people I meet and talk with). I think from a reputation point of view and program point of view it'll probably end up a wash - since they're both so good and I love both programs. I think some could potentially hinge on what I determine vis a vis program size. Given that MIT is about 2/3 the size of Kellogg, that might end up being a deciding factor (not sure which way I lean on this yet - but will feel that out as well).

As for materials - I'll definitely let you know what I come across.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 15 Jan 2008
Posts: 347
Location: Evanston, IL
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all MIT Sloan 2008 applicants [#permalink] New post 30 Jan 2008, 08:38
nyrberg wrote:
Hey dox, I just got the same email. I am pretty surprised that they wait so long to start interviewing people.


Dox and nyrberg, don't worry about the time to go complete. My app didn't go complete until three weeks after submitting my app too (R1). I think thats pretty standard in each round.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 14 Aug 2007
Posts: 23
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all MIT Sloan 2008 applicants [#permalink] New post 30 Jan 2008, 08:48
riverripper wrote:
At least you wont be swayed by fancy facilities at either school. Since both Kellogg and MIT have some crappy buildings. Both will get you a great job, MIT is supposed to have a more rigorous academic program, while Kellogg is supposed to develop soft skills better than anyplace (complaints about lack of soft skills are a complaint from a lot of companies lately). It very well can come down to where would you rather live for at least two years...Boston vs Chicago.

I have some family in advertising and I have almost all the high up marketing directors they deal with at clients are Kellogg grads. These people are in everything from booze marketing to high tech to beauty products.


A good point: Kellogg would be a more ubiquitous marketing brand, should I decide to pursue marketing post-it notes or Total instead of Commerce Server. Kellogg is definitely better known than Sloan to non-MBA types. Some people have said to me, "MIT has a business school?" [sigh] The lingering questions linger. How sure am I that I'm going to be in hi-tech? Technology is what's going to clean up our oceans, solve world hunger, and cure the common cold. Where do I want to live? I have family in Chicago, but Boston is the magical land where I spent my elementary school years.

The logic thing to do, I think, is to continue to learn about the schools and the programs over the next little while and to leave both options on the table as long as possible. One will most likely come forward as the best option for me. Would you agree?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 15 Jan 2008
Posts: 347
Location: Evanston, IL
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all MIT Sloan 2008 applicants [#permalink] New post 30 Jan 2008, 09:00
nontraditional wrote:

A good point: Kellogg would be a more ubiquitous marketing brand, should I decide to pursue marketing post-it notes or Total instead of Commerce Server. Kellogg is definitely better known than Sloan to non-MBA types. Some people have said to me, "MIT has a business school?" [sigh] The lingering questions linger. How sure am I that I'm going to be in hi-tech? Technology is what's going to clean up our oceans, solve world hunger, and cure the common cold. Where do I want to live? I have family in Chicago, but Boston is the magical land where I spent my elementary school years.

The logic thing to do, I think, is to continue to learn about the schools and the programs over the next little while and to leave both options on the table as long as possible. One will most likely come forward as the best option for me. Would you agree?


I agree completely nontraditional!
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 31 Jan 2008
Posts: 45
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all MIT Sloan 2008 applicants [#permalink] New post 31 Jan 2008, 14:08
Hi,

Please add me onto the R2 Sloan list....I received my interview invite last week and it is scheduled for mid-Feb.

Any tips on the MIT interview would be greatly appreciated! Also, I'm trying to find a close yet reasonably priced place to stay close to MIT...any suggestions?

I'm also on a R2 decision from Kellogg so thanks for all the useful posts comparing the pros/cons Steel and nontraditional...I hope to be having to make this difficult decision in a few months!

TJ
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 10 Jun 2007
Posts: 1468
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 94 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all MIT Sloan 2008 applicants [#permalink] New post 31 Jan 2008, 14:17
TJ wrote:
Hi,

Please add me onto the R2 Sloan list....I received my interview invite last week and it is scheduled for mid-Feb.

Any tips on the MIT interview would be greatly appreciated! Also, I'm trying to find a close yet reasonably priced place to stay close to MIT...any suggestions?

I'm also on a R2 decision from Kellogg so thanks for all the useful posts comparing the pros/cons Steel and nontraditional...I hope to be having to make this difficult decision in a few months!

TJ


I hope you are not talking about MIT invites...I don't they they are out yet.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 14 Aug 2007
Posts: 23
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all MIT Sloan 2008 applicants [#permalink] New post 31 Jan 2008, 15:30
branson wrote:
wisepig wrote:
nontraditional wrote:
It's nice to know that you're going through the same thing. Thanks for speaking up. Are you already accepted at Kellogg? I'm admitted to MIT and waiting for an R2 decision from Kellogg. I'm thinking that if I am admitted to the MMM program then I'll go to admit weekend (DAK?) before closing the door on the decision forever. But by that time I will have had to put down $3000 on MIT, find a place to live, etc., so it will be harder and harder to overturn the decision.


nontraditional, I think you may be able to call up Sloan and have them extend the decision deadline so you can decide after you go to DAK. That way, you won't need to cough up the $3000 immediately. I could be wrong though.

Anyone here have experience with asking for an extension to the decision deadline? I think it's March 14 for Sloan.


I asked IESE to extend my deadline and it wasnt a problem. (name a date! dont just say extend, tell them by how long)


I can't be the only person out here in MBA wannabe land with this predicament. I'm going to try to avoid it, but I don't think I'll have a choice. It's like the girl just agreed to go out with me and now I'm telling her to hang on while I make sure she's my best option. Oh well, I'm sure it happens all the time.

Thanks for the input.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 14 Aug 2007
Posts: 23
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all MIT Sloan 2008 applicants [#permalink] New post 31 Jan 2008, 19:16
TJ wrote:
Hi,

Please add me onto the R2 Sloan list....I received my interview invite last week and it is scheduled for mid-Feb.

Any tips on the MIT interview would be greatly appreciated! Also, I'm trying to find a close yet reasonably priced place to stay close to
MIT...any suggestions?

I'm also on a R2 decision from Kellogg so thanks for all the useful posts comparing the pros/cons Steel and nontraditional...I hope to be having to make this difficult decision in a few months!

TJ


Many congratulations on the invite. Data are readily available that show that 2/3 of interviewees get in. More difficult to document is an admittedly unscientific statistic that riverripper suggested in November. I have no idea whether it's true, but it sure got me excited when I read it in December because my invite came pretty early. So, happy speculating.

riverripper wrote:
Judging by info available through the normal sources, it seems like if you get an interview quickly your chances are extremely high that you will get in.


My wife found me a room at the Kendall (http://www.kendallhotel.com) for $100 per night. Apparently that's a super deal. It was a great hotel and it's a seven minute walk to the admissions office.

I showed up four hours early and wandered upstairs to where classes are held. I approached a student and asked if I could talk for a minute. He was super friendly and told me all about why he chose MIT. People started to join us and pretty soon I was surrounded by ~10 students. Someone rounded up two people from my region of the US. A few people invited me to lunch. It was nice to meet a bunch of students and realize that they are people just like you and me. Maybe you have nerves of steel, but I sure don't. I would advise you to find some students before your interview to get comfortable.

The advice they gave me:

Relax enough to let your personality shine. Recognize that if you're interviewing, you're most of the way there. They already think you're qualified. They just want to see whether you've got a personality.

Use STAR, but be natural about it. STAR is the way you naturally tell a story. Don't be all rigid about it.

You'll only get to tell two or three stories, so don't save your best stories for a perfect question.


I guess it worked for me, but it's worth what you paid for it. Good luck.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 31 Jan 2008
Posts: 45
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all MIT Sloan 2008 applicants [#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2008, 09:00
Great, thanks for the advice nontraditional.

I should clarify...I applied for Sloan MBA-BEP so my app due date was actually back in mid-December which is why I likely got the invite earlier. I'm lumping myself with the R2 applicants because the notification deadline for BEP is mid-April just like for R2.

Hope I didn't freak anyone out the R2 invites are out already because they may very well not be!
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 19 Sep 2007
Posts: 185
Schools: University of Michigan - Ross 2010
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all MIT Sloan 2008 applicants [#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2008, 09:47
Thanks for the clarification. I admit some freaking out was about to start - at least on my part! :-D
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 14 Aug 2007
Posts: 23
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all MIT Sloan 2008 applicants [#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2008, 10:53
TJ wrote:
Great, thanks for the advice nontraditional.

I should clarify...I applied for Sloan MBA-BEP so my app due date was actually back in mid-December which is why I likely got the invite earlier. I'm lumping myself with the R2 applicants because the notification deadline for BEP is mid-April just like for R2.

Hope I didn't freak anyone out the R2 invites are out already because they may very well not be!


Congratulations anyway. I almost applied to BEP. I am infatuated with the idea of a career in biotechnology, but don't have any experience with the reality of it, so I decided against it. Also, as I researched the program it seemed more for biotech entrepreneurs who want a business education too, than for business people who want a biotechnology education. I'd be really interested in talking to you. Why can't I PM you? The button's not there. Can a more experienced one of you explain to us newbies?

I was thinking about my interview experience some more. I thought of two things. First, I read through my whole application on the plane. I had read that I would probably be asked not to reuse stories from my application. This turned out to be true in my case, so I was glad I had my application loaded into memory. Second, I googled "MIT interview experiences" and made a list of all the questions anyone had reportedly been asked. I chose my favorite story for each and tried to remember as much detail about it as I could. This excercise helped me see how I could use the same story in various ways. This helped a lot in the interview. I was pleased that I was able to use two stories in ways that I hadn't thought of before.

Boy, I've really taken to rambling.
Re: Calling all MIT Sloan 2008 applicants   [#permalink] 01 Feb 2008, 10:53
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
7 Experts publish their posts in the topic Sloan (MIT) 2013 - Calling All Waitlisted Applicants aerien 50 09 Feb 2013, 16:44
210 Experts publish their posts in the topic Sloan 2013 (MIT) - Calling All Applicants MBAWanderlust 1134 26 Jun 2012, 12:03
286 Experts publish their posts in the topic Calling all MIT Sloan Fall 2011 Applicants! RogerDodger 2142 06 Aug 2010, 15:53
30 Experts publish their posts in the topic Calling All Fall 2010 MIT Sloan Applicants nink 897 08 Jun 2009, 16:39
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Calling all MIT Sloan 2008 applicants

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28  ...  31    Next  [ 620 posts ] 



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.