Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Apr 2014, 18:11

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all MIT Sloan 2008 applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all MIT Sloan 2008 applicants [#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2008, 12:31
I think your rambling is great! I have a huge list of interview questions to go through now from google, this forum etc. so thanks to all who have posted their questions! I'll be sure to add mine to the list in a few weeks.

I'm new to this site so I'm not sure about how the PM works but I updated my profile info so maybe if you try again it will work?

I agree that BEP seems to have a strong entrepreneurial focus but it is a 3 yr program and in the end you have gone through the full 2Y MBA program so I don't feel like I will be losing out on any of the business knowledge/experience. I've talked to some current students and many of them are looking to go into consulting, VC or general management but all in the context of the biotech industry so it isn't necessarily just for those who want to start their own businesses (although this is my ultimate goal :) ) I could go on and on about this because I am completely hooked by this program so please send me a msg if you want to chat about it more :)
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: MIT Sloan
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [1] , given: 0

BEP candidate here too [#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2008, 15:42
This post received
KUDOS
Did you get the interview schedule today?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all MIT Sloan 2008 applicants [#permalink] New post 03 Feb 2008, 19:22
Yes schedule confirmed last week for Wed and Thurs. Are you doing yours Wed/Thurs or both on Thurs? It will definately be a busy few days!
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all MIT Sloan 2008 applicants [#permalink] New post 03 Feb 2008, 19:25
One each day for me.
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all MIT Sloan 2008 applicants [#permalink] New post 05 Feb 2008, 07:02
TJ,

I assume you'll be at the reception of Tuesday evening. I wonder how many other candidates will be at this shindig. I can only assume probably about 18 including us.
VP
VP
Schools: Chicago Booth Class of 2010
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 156 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all MIT Sloan 2008 applicants [#permalink] New post 23 Feb 2008, 23:11
End of AdMIT Weekend, after a party at Beacon Hill

Myth 1: There are no Indians at Sloan.
Not true, I got to meet plenty of them...

Myth 2: Only geeks study MIT.
People DO party hard as they study hard. I went to 2 parties, so I saw with my own eyes.

Myth 3: The ladies.
Man, Sloan is the MIT with the ladies! Not that for me this counts as I'm married, but I can assure that there are lots of beautiful women there :lol:

All in all, I had a pretty good time in Boston-Cambridge. The Boston area is pretty amazing - although the weather was very snowy - and the people are smart, human, cooperative and very friendly.

I believe though, that they a underestimate the "power of the event" as in some situation they could have been more organized. I meet many interesting people, and I could see the entrepreneurship is the main driver there. They are building some new dorms, and a new amazing building that will be ready in 2010.

I met one guy who got into HBS and Sloan, and is heading MIT; one girl deciding between Kellogg and MIT, and decided to go to MIT; a Brazilian guy that decided to go to Kellogg, and several other people still deciding.

Some stats they gave us:
4000 applicants
715 is the mean Gmat
60% from US
20% Asia
7% Latam

And yes I walked through the infinite corridor...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infinite_corridor

Rhyme´s guide to interviewing
http://www.gmatclub.com/forum/t55030

Kwam's Profile
111-t57360

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
WE 1: Social Gaming
Followers: 58

Kudos [?]: 320 [0], given: 14

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all MIT Sloan 2008 applicants [#permalink] New post 24 Feb 2008, 02:36
cool report Kwam! Looks like these admit weekends are all pretty good at convincing you to go to their school. :wink:

GMAT Club Knowledge Vault:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/123
Haas Ambassador
http://gmatclub.com/forum/128-t62555
Kryzak's Profile:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/111-t56286
Member Essays:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/103-t50969

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
Followers: 74

Kudos [?]: 689 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all MIT Sloan 2008 applicants [#permalink] New post 24 Feb 2008, 06:38
4,000 is crazy...if thats just for R1. I think I may have met the Brazilian guy at DAK, I know I met a few people who were going to the Sloan event. The GMAT numbers this year seem even higher than usual.

Kellogg Class of 2010...still active and willing to help. However, I do not do profile reviews, don't offer predictions on chances and am far to busy to review essays, so save the energy of writing me a PM seeking help for these. If I don't respond to a PM that is not one of the previously mentioned trash can destined messages, please don't take it personally I get so many messages I have a hard to responding to most. The more interesting, compelling, or humorous you message the more likely I am to respond.

VP
VP

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all MIT Sloan 2008 applicants [#permalink] New post 24 Feb 2008, 07:43
riverripper wrote:
4,000 is crazy...if thats just for R1. I think I may have met the Brazilian guy at DAK, I know I met a few people who were going to the Sloan event. The GMAT numbers this year seem even higher than usual.

BTW I think number is for all rounds, even being for all round it's a 33% increase. Adcom people said that it's been a very tough year working constantly overtime.

Kwam's Profile
111-t57360

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all MIT Sloan 2008 applicants [#permalink] New post 24 Feb 2008, 15:03
Ya even so 4K for all rounds is huge. Last year they were right over 3K so that puts then well into the teens for admit rate this year. I wonder if other top schools will see a similar increase.

Kellogg Class of 2010...still active and willing to help. However, I do not do profile reviews, don't offer predictions on chances and am far to busy to review essays, so save the energy of writing me a PM seeking help for these. If I don't respond to a PM that is not one of the previously mentioned trash can destined messages, please don't take it personally I get so many messages I have a hard to responding to most. The more interesting, compelling, or humorous you message the more likely I am to respond.

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
WE 1: Social Gaming
Followers: 58

Kudos [?]: 320 [0], given: 14

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all MIT Sloan 2008 applicants [#permalink] New post 24 Feb 2008, 15:36
I'm surprised more people don't apply to MIT, since it is a UE school and has a larger class size than say Anderson or Haas. I think Anderson was near 3000 last year, and Haas was 3200. Both are supposed to go up to near 4K this year too... scary!

GMAT Club Knowledge Vault:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/123
Haas Ambassador
http://gmatclub.com/forum/128-t62555
Kryzak's Profile:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/111-t56286
Member Essays:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/103-t50969

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all MIT Sloan 2008 applicants [#permalink] New post 24 Feb 2008, 16:40
The cali schools probably get a lot of applicants who just want to be in California so they dont apply anywhere else. MIT and most schools in the east dont get the same location advantage. That said MIT should have a 15% or less admit rate this year, and thats pretty damn impressive. Makes me feel a little better about that ding :wink: It would hurt a lot more if they had a 50% decrease in applications.

SVP
SVP
Schools: Ross '10
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 158 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all MIT Sloan 2008 applicants [#permalink] New post 24 Feb 2008, 17:04
One more perspective.

It would be safe to say that the most MBA applications are filed by Indian IT pool. MIT has a reputation(deserved or not) that it is very un-friendly to this pool. Therefore, a lot of desi folks who think nothing about applying to Stan or HBS or Haas or UCLA, also think that MIT is a lost cause. If MIT can turn around this rep, then I have no doubts their app volumes will increase even more dramatically.
Manager
Manager
Schools: Kellogg (R2), UCLA (R2)

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all MIT Sloan 2008 applicants [#permalink] New post 24 Feb 2008, 17:08
I was going through courses listing on MIT website and they are very rigorous than courses (at-least those I'm familiar with) at other schools. Below is description for optimization course. Its similar to graduate courses in engineering. Is this true for courses in accounting, finance and other areas also?

Integer Programming and Combinatorial Optimization
Subject: Operations Research/Statistics

Description: In-depth treatment of the modern theory of integer programming and combinatorial optimization, emphasizing geometry, duality and algorithms. Topics include: formulating problems in integer variables, enhancement of formulations, ideal formulations, integer programming duality, linear and semidefinite relaxations, lattices and their applications, the geometry of integer programming, primal methods, cutting plane methods, connections with algebraic geometry, computational complexity, approximation algorithms, heuristic and enumerative algorithms, mixed integer programming and solutions of large scale problems.
CEO
CEO
Followers: 52

Kudos [?]: 408 [0], given: 210

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all MIT Sloan 2008 applicants [#permalink] New post 24 Feb 2008, 18:11
I didn't apply because their essays were an absolute pain in the backside. Too many of them and all of them far too boring - it just put me off, and I'm sure there are others in the same boat. I had heaps more fun doing the PPT for Chicago and the creative essay for NYU. Get with the times MIT.....

kryzak wrote:
I'm surprised more people don't apply to MIT, since it is a UE school and has a larger class size than say Anderson or Haas. I think Anderson was near 3000 last year, and Haas was 3200. Both are supposed to go up to near 4K this year too... scary!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all MIT Sloan 2008 applicants [#permalink] New post 24 Feb 2008, 18:27
NC, I think that the thought that Indian IT people dominate applications is way off base. They may be the toughest group but they dont make up the biggest portion. Most schools get roughly 40% or so international applicants, and I would say far fewer than half of those are Indian. Yes a lot of Indians apply but so do a lot of Chinese, europeans, and canadians and when you total these up they outnumber Indians. Also many Indians applying arent from the IT sector either. Plenty of Indians I have met have been in financial services, consulting, and other types of engineering. Indian IT probably in reality make up only around 10% of applicants, they do seem to dominate the messageboards and you dont see many IB or MC on here but reality these people probably apply in far greater numbers.

Just a little perspective. Though Indian IT probably make up a very small percentage of any class so it is a very difficult group.

SVP
SVP
Schools: Ross '10
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 158 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all MIT Sloan 2008 applicants [#permalink] New post 24 Feb 2008, 18:31
Sure, you may be right. My point is that if MIT improves their rep, the increased applications from this pool will add to their volume. That's all. My statement about Indian IT is mainly because schools and admissions consultants assert regularly that they form the majority of the apps.

riverripper wrote:
NC, I think that the thought that Indian IT people dominate applications is way off base. They may be the toughest group but they dont make up the biggest portion. Most schools get roughly 40% or so international applicants, and I would say far fewer than half of those are Indian. Yes a lot of Indians apply but so do a lot of Chinese, europeans, and canadians and when you total these up they outnumber Indians. Also many Indians applying arent from the IT sector either. Plenty of Indians I have met have been in financial services, consulting, and other types of engineering. Indian IT probably in reality make up only around 10% of applicants, they do seem to dominate the messageboards and you dont see many IB or MC on here but reality these people probably apply in far greater numbers.

Just a little perspective. Though Indian IT probably make up a very small percentage of any class so it is a very difficult group.
VP
VP

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all MIT Sloan 2008 applicants [#permalink] New post 24 Feb 2008, 19:05
That's what they said during the AdMIT weekend, that they are rigorous specially during the "core". I talked though to a friend of mine - class of 2009 - and he said that he's doing fine (engineering background). I was really impressed with the summer interniship stats for next summer, every single brazilian has already a place! And for the graduates, many - not only my pool here - already have offers, from JP Morgan, GE, to Google.

Travel09 wrote:
I was going through courses listing on MIT website and they are very rigorous than courses (at-least those I'm familiar with) at other schools. Below is description for optimization course. Its similar to graduate courses in engineering. Is this true for courses in accounting, finance and other areas also?

Integer Programming and Combinatorial Optimization
Subject: Operations Research/Statistics

Description: In-depth treatment of the modern theory of integer programming and combinatorial optimization, emphasizing geometry, duality and algorithms. Topics include: formulating problems in integer variables, enhancement of formulations, ideal formulations, integer programming duality, linear and semidefinite relaxations, lattices and their applications, the geometry of integer programming, primal methods, cutting plane methods, connections with algebraic geometry, computational complexity, approximation algorithms, heuristic and enumerative algorithms, mixed integer programming and solutions of large scale problems.

Kwam's Profile
111-t57360

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all MIT Sloan 2008 applicants [#permalink] New post 24 Feb 2008, 20:01
Hey Kwam,

Thanks for the update... Was wondering if you were interested in and managed to find out about how well MIT grads normally fare in traditional fin ser jobs i.e.: IB, research or even PE and VC?
Director
Director
Schools: Chicago Booth 2010
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all MIT Sloan 2008 applicants [#permalink] New post 24 Feb 2008, 20:29
sounds great, but its a real shame you will be matriculating at chicago gsb instead :-D
Re: Calling all MIT Sloan 2008 applicants   [#permalink] 24 Feb 2008, 20:29