Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Apr 2014, 23:19

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all MIT Sloan 2008 applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
VP
VP
Schools: Chicago Booth Class of 2010
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 156 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all MIT Sloan 2008 applicants [#permalink] New post 25 Feb 2008, 07:22
Hehehe dabots, I'm still deciding, but I'll see you at the GSB Admit Weekend, right?

longatum wrote:
Hey Kwam,

Thanks for the update... Was wondering if you were interested in and managed to find out about how well MIT grads normally fare in traditional fin ser jobs i.e.: IB, research or even PE and VC?

They seem to do pretty weel, from the big banks only JP Morgan does not go there, but you can go after it, the people I talked to at the Finance Club said that even though it's a little bit harder this year, still almost everybody could get places.

Regarding PE, VC and HF, well it's tricky. If you want VC for High Tech, then Sloan is pretty well regarded, but these industries are really hard to break through, and also the recruiting process is a little bit different and it happens later, so everybody told me is that you see all your friends getting offers from DB, UBS, Citi, etc, and you have nothing from these places... Nevertheless, I met a couple of Sloanies who are heading to VC, but to do the "Dirty job", as for these industries or you have previous work ex or you will start from bottom. From what I could "research" it seems that MIT can get you anywhere, but you will need to work your way through.

Rhyme´s guide to interviewing
http://www.gmatclub.com/forum/t55030

Kwam's Profile
111-t57360

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
Followers: 74

Kudos [?]: 688 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all MIT Sloan 2008 applicants [#permalink] New post 25 Feb 2008, 08:21
Kwam isnt it nice to be recruited by the schools, students, and other admits. Its a nice change from the sucking up we all did this fall trying to tell all these schools how much we love them.

How was the general feel of MIT during admit weekend, everyone really excited and positive about their experiences there? Any good insight beyond the numbers? Any valuable info for people who will read this next year, the good the bad the ugly...hopefully the financial aid was better than Kelloggs (which was the only negative thing from DAK). I think I got a far better sense of what Kellogg was about during the admit weekend than I learned about schools during visits and admit event, so anything you think would be a benefit for future applicants or admits who didnt make the weekend would be great to capture.

Kellogg Class of 2010...still active and willing to help. However, I do not do profile reviews, don't offer predictions on chances and am far to busy to review essays, so save the energy of writing me a PM seeking help for these. If I don't respond to a PM that is not one of the previously mentioned trash can destined messages, please don't take it personally I get so many messages I have a hard to responding to most. The more interesting, compelling, or humorous you message the more likely I am to respond.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all MIT Sloan 2008 applicants [#permalink] New post 25 Feb 2008, 08:40
riverripper wrote:
Kwam isnt it nice to be recruited by the schools, students, and other admits. Its a nice change from the sucking up we all did this fall trying to tell all these schools how much we love them.

A quote from an email I met at AdMIT weekend "do you have the email info of [Steel]? He showed interest in being on this list. Looks like he could use some convincing to stay away from Kellogg!"

A neat thing I noticed at both Kellogg and MIT though - that the other admits are probably the most vehement recruiters for the school. People are fired up for b-school! Just makes me more and more excited!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
Followers: 74

Kudos [?]: 688 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all MIT Sloan 2008 applicants [#permalink] New post 25 Feb 2008, 09:50
I think its natural for the students and alums to be the big boosters of their school. It is sort of a self serving thing when you think about it. They want to keep yield up and to take away talent from other schools, so for an MIT student or other admit to try to sway you into going there makes sense. Plus everyone wants to think their school is the best...its like being on a sports team, everyone wants to think theirs is the best.

B-schools are like college football programs, imagine the M7 as D-1 schools who compete for the best and the brightest. And just like BCS standings, b-school rankings change year to year and schools are always competing for those top recruits to stay at the top. Every school gets their 5 star studs but the real competition is to keep as many good recruits as possible so your strengthen your team while keeping them from signing with the opposing teams.

Kellogg Class of 2010...still active and willing to help. However, I do not do profile reviews, don't offer predictions on chances and am far to busy to review essays, so save the energy of writing me a PM seeking help for these. If I don't respond to a PM that is not one of the previously mentioned trash can destined messages, please don't take it personally I get so many messages I have a hard to responding to most. The more interesting, compelling, or humorous you message the more likely I am to respond.

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
WE 1: Social Gaming
Followers: 58

Kudos [?]: 320 [0], given: 14

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all MIT Sloan 2008 applicants [#permalink] New post 25 Feb 2008, 10:23
haha, great analogy there river with the football teams. It's spot on. Just look at rhyme, he's probably the biggest fan and supporter of GSB there is out there, and consequently, GSB has the most applicants here on GMATClub this year (the #1 in BW also helped :P).

Anyway, kwam, hope you get into Stanford so we can get a west coast GMATClub started :wink:

GMAT Club Knowledge Vault:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/123
Haas Ambassador
http://gmatclub.com/forum/128-t62555
Kryzak's Profile:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/111-t56286
Member Essays:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/103-t50969

Current Student
Schools: MIT Sloan
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all MIT Sloan 2008 applicants [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2008, 05:32
MIT has just begun issuing round 2 interviews. Just to keep everyone updated.
Manager
Manager
Schools: University of Michigan - Ross 2010

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all MIT Sloan 2008 applicants [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2008, 06:58
True. I saw 2 guys added interview dates on the 411 site... Allegedly the invites will go until the last day (04/2007)...
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all MIT Sloan 2008 applicants [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2008, 08:24
Great news guys!!! Another round of waiting begins. :shock:
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all MIT Sloan 2008 applicants [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2008, 08:34
Everytime this thread bumps up, I get a feeling that someone got an invitation to interview and am helplessly engulfed in jealousy :)
VP
VP
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 85 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all MIT Sloan 2008 applicants [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2008, 09:29
Looks like MIT is sending invites by region...
Can someone confirm that this true?
Manager
Manager
Schools: University of Michigan - Ross 2010

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all MIT Sloan 2008 applicants [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2008, 09:33
I have no clue so far. How come you think it is by region?
Current Student

Re: Calling all MIT Sloan 2008 applicants [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2008, 09:46
I remember seeing that invites are handed out by region based on the travel schedule of adcom on a chat somewhere.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all MIT Sloan 2008 applicants [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2008, 11:00
clarksdv2 wrote:
I remember seeing that invites are handed out by region based on the travel schedule of adcom on a chat somewhere.

Going by R1 - Sloan issued interview invites based on Hub Interview locations (where you were assigned to interview), which may or may not be the location of the candidate.

For example, R1 I got an early interview in Cambridge (since I chose Cambridge as my #1 interview location choice) rather than getting the interview invite a few weeks later like those did who chose to interview in Washington, DC.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Interview invites [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2008, 12:43
Are the invites by email?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all MIT Sloan 2008 applicants [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2008, 15:28
From reading the BW forums, they have said they received their invites through email.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all MIT Sloan 2008 applicants [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2008, 19:48
any denied applicants receive an email from MIT about applying to their MLOG program?

If anyone has details about this program that would be greaat.
Current Student

Re: Calling all MIT Sloan 2008 applicants [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2008, 21:17
MLOG/ZLOG program has a discussion happening on BW.
http://forums.businessweek.com/n/pfx/fo ... &tid=74645
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all MIT Sloan 2008 applicants [#permalink] New post 06 Mar 2008, 12:45
How many MIT R2 applicants do we have on here? Anybody know the pattern of MIT interview invites. Is MIT more like Wharton where a lot of invites go out late or Harvard where most invites go out early?
VP
VP
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 85 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all MIT Sloan 2008 applicants [#permalink] New post 06 Mar 2008, 13:01
nyrberg wrote:
How many MIT R2 applicants do we have on here? Anybody know the pattern of MIT interview invites. Is MIT more like Wharton where a lot of invites go out late or Harvard where most invites go out early?

I am wondering the same. Looks like bw forum reported some invites for NYC, and I am starting to lose hope...
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all MIT Sloan 2008 applicants [#permalink] New post 06 Mar 2008, 13:30
There's a bit on this topic in this thread around the time R1 invites went out in late November. In R1, most invites went out early. It seems that most everyone who interviewed early was ultimately offered admission. At AdMIT Weekend we were told that a smaller percentage was interviewed this year, so an interview means you're most of the way to admission. Of course, that was for R1. I would speculate that the same will be true for R2, but don't hold me to it.
Re: Calling all MIT Sloan 2008 applicants   [#permalink] 06 Mar 2008, 13:30