Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 22:22 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 22:22

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [0]
Given Kudos: 36
Schools:Foster, Sloan (WL w/int.), Kellogg, Anderson
Send PM
Director
Director
Affiliations: IIT, Purdue, PhD, TauBetaPi
Own Kudos [?]: 360 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: $ Finance $
Schools:Wharton, Sloan, Chicago, Haas
 Q50  V37
GPA: 4.0
WE 1: 8 years in Oil&Gas
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: IT Management, Entrepreneurship
Schools:MIT [ding-R1], Berkeley [SS interview-R2], Georgetown [interview-R2], Kellogg [interview-R2], NYU [R2]
 Q40  V30 GMAT 2: 690  Q50  V33 GMAT 3: 700  Q48  V39
WE 1: 2y Software Engineering Director
WE 2: 4y Software Engineer
Send PM
Current Student
Send PM
Re: Calling all MIT Sloan Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink]
ivan4mba wrote:
R1 (reapplication)

GMAT: 690(49,34), will retake

M27/ 5years of experience in Software Eng. Good resume, but in an small and unknown company.
Active member of my sport community/competitions

Thanks Ivan. Roll call updated. Good luck!
Current Student
Send PM
EFFF... Been sitting here at sbux staring at a blank screen for over an hour and can't think of one compelling story to tell for Essay #3.

Any suggestions out there? What sort of topics have you covered for "taking responsibility for achieving an objective?" I thought this one would be the easiest prompt to answer, but achieving objectives is a daily routine in the workplace. Not sure how to approach this one w/out sounding boring.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Avernusaur wrote:
I was at Sloan yesterday, so I'll share some of the information that was confirmed.

Word/Line Limits
Essays and Resume: As long as it fits on one page with reasonable margins/font, you're good. No one is counting the exact number of lines or words in your document. Keep the overage as low as possible, but don't sacrifice the quality of your message to cut 5 words out of an essay.

Interviews
Your interviewer is your advocate; they have chosen you because they think you're a good candidate. He/she will be using the interview to help strengthen your case for admission. This person will have read your entire application, so if they don't talk about one of your favorite essays, it's because they didn't have any questions. From what I gathered, the MIT Sloan interview is used to fill in the gaps and help you present the strongest case possible for admission. Unfortunately, they also mentioned that the interviewer is likely to ask for NEW examples that aren't covered in your essays. I know that we've all worked really hard to polish three unique examples already, but you'll have to think of some more if you're invited to interview.

R1 vs. R2
I believe this has been previously discussed, but I'll add it here for another data point. MIT admits the same number of students in both rounds, but they receive twice as many applications in R2 as they do in R1. If you're application is ready to go, your odds are statistically far better in R1. The admissions officer did caveat this fact by stating that a strong application will succeed in either round, but who knows what they consider a strong application to be.

Biomedical Enterprise Dual-Degree On Hold
Apparently, MIT is working with Harvard on a new arrangement for this dual-degree. In the meantime, the program has been put on hold for 1 year. It was unclear as to whether the program would be available for the Class of 2013.

Fun Fact
MIT Sloan is awesome and E62 is really nice.

I was in the same session I can confirm all the above.

I visited Sloan before and they mention these topics always
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [1]
Given Kudos: 26
Concentration: Cleantech
Schools:Sloan R1, McCombs R1, Ross R1 (w/int), Haas R2, Kellogg R2
WE 1: Product Engineering/Manufacturing
Send PM
Kudos
RogerDodger wrote:
EFFF... Been sitting here at sbux staring at a blank screen for over an hour and can't think of one compelling story to tell for Essay #3.

Any suggestions out there? What sort of topics have you covered for "taking responsibility for achieving an objective?" I thought this one would be the easiest prompt to answer, but achieving objectives is a daily routine in the workplace. Not sure how to approach this one w/out sounding boring.

Try to think of objectives you had to meet for the first time - something like the first time you led a meeting or project without supervision. I'm actually thinking of using an extracurricular for this one.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 162 [0]
Given Kudos: 86
GMAT 1: 540 Q47 V19
GMAT 2: 610 Q46 V28
GPA: 3.86
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
Avernusaur wrote:
R1 vs. R2
I believe this has been previously discussed, but I'll add it here for another data point. MIT admits the same number of students in both rounds, but they receive twice as many applications in R2 as they do in R1. If you're application is ready to go, your odds are statistically far better in R1. The admissions officer did caveat this fact by stating that a strong application will succeed in either round, but who knows what they consider a strong application to be.

Hey, Avernusaur.

is this official fact-stat? How you come to know about no. of applicants apply to R1 and R2?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 92 [0]
Given Kudos: 56
Send PM
Great read of all your guys' experience so far!
Current Student
Send PM
mc wrote:
RogerDodger wrote:

Try to think of objectives you had to meet for the first time - something like the first time you led a meeting or project without supervision. I'm actually thinking of using an extracurricular for this one.

Great suggestion. I didn't consider the "first time" factor of many experiences can make it interesting. Time to noodle on this one a bit...
Current Student
Send PM
Hope apps are coming along nicely for everyone. If you need a break/laugh, click below.

(Caution: Explicit lyrics, slightly NSFW unless you have headphones plugged into your computer)

If you haven't seen Adam Samberg's "I'm on a Boat" video, it's hilarious:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8F3UE9qFsg

And here's the MIT Sloan version (found it on last year's thread):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bR1Daulmadk

Enjoy! :lol:
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 303 [0]
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.3
WE:Project Management (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
RogerDodger wrote:
Hope apps are coming along nicely for everyone. If you need a break/laugh, click below.

(Caution: Explicit lyrics, slightly NSFW unless you have headphones plugged into your computer)

If you haven't seen Adam Samberg's "I'm on a Boat" video, it's hilarious:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8F3UE9qFsg

And here's the MIT Sloan version (found it on last year's thread):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bR1Daulmadk

Enjoy! :lol:

I watch that MIT video at least twice a month. I actually find it motivating... for whatever reason.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 303 [0]
Send PM
PranavChamp wrote:
Avernusaur wrote:
R1 vs. R2

Hey, Avernusaur.

is this official fact-stat? How you come to know about no. of applicants apply to R1 and R2?

This was a statistic that was shared in the information session. I haven't seen it published on the website, but the admissions officer is a reliable source of information :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 162 [0]
GMAT 1: 540 Q47 V19
GMAT 2: 610 Q46 V28
GPA: 3.86
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
Avernusaur wrote:
PranavChamp wrote:
Avernusaur wrote:
R1 vs. R2

Hey, Avernusaur.

This was a statistic that was shared in the information session. I haven't seen it published on the website, but the admissions officer is a reliable source of information :)

If this is the case then i must say...I'm regretting now on chances of missing R1 deadline. (have to give GMAT retake.)
:(((
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: General Management, Technology, Digital Media
 Q49  V42
GPA: 3.1
Send PM
Count me in for round 1
Current Student
Send PM
mrwuzzman wrote:
Count me in for round 1

Roll call updated. Good luck!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: CFA
Own Kudos [?]: 142 [0]
Given Kudos: 64
Schools: Columbia - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 710 Q45 V43
GMAT 2: 760 Q49 V45
Send PM
Really contemplating a R1 submission. I want to apply to MIT but I'm not sure if I can get together the whole app in like 3 weeks.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 104
Concentration: Finance; Entrepreneurship
Schools:MIT Sloan Class of 2013
 Q49  V36
Send PM
Do you guys know of any MIT cover letter samples other than what's on businesweek web-site? If not, can some of you provide an example of how you structured your letter? Thanks
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 303 [3]
Send PM
Kudos
BruceLee wrote:
Do you guys know of any MIT cover letter samples other than what's on businesweek web-site? If not, can some of you provide an example of how you structured your letter? Thanks

We really need to put together a Cover Letter guide that we can sticky on the forums for future reference. I'm hesitant to give anyone advice right now, because I don't have enough supporting documentation (my strategy might not work). Let me put this on my to-do list and I'll get something out there as soon as possible.
Current Student
Send PM
Avernusaur wrote:
BruceLee wrote:

We really need to put together a Cover Letter guide that we can sticky on the forums for future reference. I'm hesitant to give anyone advice right now, because I don't have enough supporting documentation (my strategy might not work). Let me put this on my to-do list and I'll get something out there as soon as possible.

+1 Thanks Avern.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  108   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts