Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 20:26

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all MIT Sloan Fall 2011 Applicants!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Director
Director
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.3
WE: Project Management (Aerospace and Defense)
Followers: 61

Kudos [?]: 262 [0], given: 86

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Calling all MIT Sloan Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2010, 12:02
mainhoon wrote:
Thanks Avern. Also for the essays, I see a 500 word limit for all. Do they strictly enforce it, how much over, if at all, is acceptable?

As we previously discussed here: calling-all-mit-sloan-fall-2011-applicants-98675-80.html#p791379
Avernusaur wrote:
Word/Line Limits
Essays and Resume: As long as it fits on one page with reasonable margins/font, you're good. No one is counting the exact number of lines or words in your document. Keep the overage as low as possible, but don't sacrifice the quality of your message to cut 5 words out of an essay.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Director
Director
Affiliations: IIT, Purdue, PhD, TauBetaPi
Schools: Wharton, Sloan, Chicago, Haas
WE 1: 8 years in Oil&Gas
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 71 [0], given: 15

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all MIT Sloan Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2010, 12:51
Avernusaur wrote:
mainhoon wrote:
Thanks Avern. Also for the essays, I see a 500 word limit for all. Do they strictly enforce it, how much over, if at all, is acceptable?

As we previously discussed here: calling-all-mit-sloan-fall-2011-applicants-98675-80.html#p791379
Avernusaur wrote:
Word/Line Limits
Essays and Resume: As long as it fits on one page with reasonable margins/font, you're good. No one is counting the exact number of lines or words in your document. Keep the overage as low as possible, but don't sacrifice the quality of your message to cut 5 words out of an essay.

Thanks Avern...Well I understand that the Resume has to be 1 page, do the essays also have to fit 1 page? Also does the essay prompt have to be repeated at the top for the essays? or just leave it as Essay 1? Thanks

Consider kudos, they are good for health

Director
Director

Re: Calling all MIT Sloan Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2010, 13:02
mainhoon wrote:
Thanks Avern...Well I understand that the Resume has to be 1 page, do the essays also have to fit 1 page? Also does the essay prompt have to be repeated at the top for the essays? or just leave it as Essay 1? Thanks

Yes, each essay needs to be limited to one page as well. I'm almost certain that the essay prompt needs to be repeated at the top of each essay, but I don't have the directions in front of me right now. It will be clearly stated in the part of the online application where you upload your essays.

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 2

Re: Calling all MIT Sloan Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2010, 14:02
does anyone know if the example for organizational impact in the cover letter should also be in the last three years?

Last edited by greenchicken on 09 Oct 2010, 14:13, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 16

Re: Calling all MIT Sloan Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2010, 14:11
Avernusaur wrote:
mainhoon wrote:

Yes, each essay needs to be limited to one page as well. I'm almost certain that the essay prompt needs to be repeated at the top of each essay, but I don't have the directions in front of me right now. It will be clearly stated in the part of the online application where you upload your essays.

Curious as to what font type - size and spacing are you guys using to fit 500 words in one page

I could only fit 500 words in one page by doing TR font, 10.5 and 1.5 spacing

Any suggestions folks?
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all MIT Sloan Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2010, 14:13
Avernusaur wrote:
mainhoon wrote:

Avern
Just checked, actually the place where you upload the essays has the prompt in the instructions itself, so I feel perhaps not, we do not include the prompt too.. The places to upload each essay and CL are different....

Also, what about spacing, do we use 1.5 or 1 for the CL or Essays?

Manager
Manager

Re: Calling all MIT Sloan Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2010, 14:19
mainhoon wrote:
Avernusaur wrote:
mainhoon wrote:

Avern
Just checked, actually the place where you upload the essays has the prompt in the instructions itself, so I feel perhaps not, we do not include the prompt too.. The places to upload each essay and CL are different....

Also, what about spacing, do we use 1.5 or 1 for the CL or Essays?

Remember - when you submit the whole application, they get a pdf of all your application. Even though they might know what is your response for what specific essay, it would be useful if we put the prompt. At least that is what I am thinking...
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all MIT Sloan Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2010, 14:27
I dont have an issue in including the prompt, the only thing is that it would occupy space and we still have to fit everything in 1 page.. Would look odd if I had a 3-4 lines spill over to the next page..
Well don't you think the system should be smart enough to tag the pdfs with the prompts or at least have the essay# on top? Who knows.. I notice that it is the same system used by Wharton and Stanford too..

Manager
Manager

Re: Calling all MIT Sloan Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2010, 14:29
mainhoon wrote:
I dont have an issue in including the prompt, the only thing is that it would occupy space and we still have to fit everything in 1 page.. Would look odd if I had a 3-4 lines spill over to the next page..
Well don't you think the system should be smart enough to tag the pdfs with the prompts or at least have the essay# on top? Who knows.. I notice that it is the same system used by Wharton and Stanford too..

I know in Wharton they had like one word description on top left corner of each essay prompt. So maybe MIT will have. As I have said before, I used basic Times new Roman, 10.5 and 1.5 spacing and it fits 500 words with prompt spread out over 6 paragraphs. Try to see if that works for you
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all MIT Sloan Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2010, 14:38
goldgoldandgold wrote:
mainhoon wrote:

I know in Wharton they had like one word description on top left corner of each essay prompt. So maybe MIT will have. As I have said before, I used basic Times new Roman, 10.5 and 1.5 spacing and it fits 500 words with prompt spread out over 6 paragraphs. Try to see if that works for you

Thanks for the info.. I guess I was working on the CL and that surely does not need a prompt... Did you use 10.5 and 1.5 for the CL too?

Manager
Manager

Re: Calling all MIT Sloan Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2010, 14:39
mainhoon wrote:
goldgoldandgold wrote:
mainhoon wrote:

Thanks for the info.. I guess I was working on the CL and that surely does not need a prompt... Did you use 10.5 and 1.5 for the CL too?

Haven't really worked on CL yet, but I think the same should work. If not, then I will let go spacing of 1.5.

Agreed - no prompt for CL
Current Student
Schools: Foster, Sloan (WL w/int.), Kellogg, Anderson
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 36

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all MIT Sloan Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2010, 10:54
Apologies to all for the spam, but this is directed to any US military applying to Sloan. (this is also up on the 'calling all military' thread)

Some helpful info I received regarding Post 9/11 GIB benefits:

$2307 per month BAH, prorated in September and May, for a total of 8 months and 13 days. The VA uses a 30 day month for prorating. Total is $19,455.70.
$340 per VA credit hour. If you will be register for 54 units per term the tuition benefit will be $12,240 over the two terms.
Fees of either $272 for student life fees only, or $2,012 for student life fees and MIT health insurance.
$1,000 book allowance.
Current Student
Schools: Sloan R1, McCombs R1, Ross R1 (w/int), Haas R2, Kellogg R2
WE 1: Product Engineering/Manufacturing
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 26

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all MIT Sloan Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2010, 12:01
Do your recommenders need to write an actual letter, or is there a form with text boxes they can use? I've registered both recommenders, but they still were asking what they would need to do.
Manager
Manager

Re: Calling all MIT Sloan Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2010, 12:03
mc wrote:
Do your recommenders need to write an actual letter, or is there a form with text boxes they can use? I've registered both recommenders, but they still were asking what they would need to do.

There is a set of questions that recommender needs to answer...I think there are 6 questions
Current Student
Schools: Sloan R1, McCombs R1, Ross R1 (w/int), Haas R2, Kellogg R2
WE 1: Product Engineering/Manufacturing
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 26

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all MIT Sloan Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2010, 12:06
goldgoldandgold wrote:
mc wrote:

There is a set of questions that recommender needs to answer...I think there are 6 questions

Yes, I've given them the questions, but some schools just ask recommenders to write a letter that answers those questions, while other schools give the option to answer each question individually in lieu of a formal letter. I just wasn't sure what approach Sloan took.
Director
Director

Re: Calling all MIT Sloan Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2010, 12:59
mc wrote:
Yes, I've given them the questions, but some schools just ask recommenders to write a letter that answers those questions, while other schools give the option to answer each question individually in lieu of a formal letter. I just wasn't sure what approach Sloan took.

The questions are answered individually and the document is limited to 2-pages.

Intern
Intern
Schools: Anderson, Darden

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 3

Re: Calling all MIT Sloan Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2010, 13:55
In for R1.
Current Student
Schools: Foster, Sloan (WL w/int.), Kellogg, Anderson
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 36

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all MIT Sloan Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2010, 15:56
ashu2020 wrote:
In for R1.

Roll call updated. Welcome ashu, good luck in R1.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: R1:Cornell, Yale, NYU. R2: Haas, MIT, Ross
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all MIT Sloan Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2010, 17:06
Hey All,
Awesome posts out there .....thanks these are really helpful.
I have been considering applying to R1 , however my company is sending me to the US in the second week of november and I am hoping I can visit MIT then, I think the likelihood of that happening is 70%.

I believe that it is extremely helpful to visit the school and meet the admissions ambassador, students etc. and so was contemplating pushing my application to Round 2.
Do you think this is wise, and will this make a huge difference? Would really appreciate your advice.
Thanks Alot!
Ventivish
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 2

Re: Calling all MIT Sloan Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2010, 17:28
my mind is drawing a complete blank with one of the essays (my last one)! do you know if it's acceptable to write all 3 essays about professional experiences, or should i include something outside of work? i've been working for 4 years so those examples are probably more substantial than some events outside of work.
Re: Calling all MIT Sloan Fall 2011 Applicants!   [#permalink] 11 Oct 2010, 17:28