Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Apr 2014, 16:59

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all MIT Sloan Fall 2011 Applicants!

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Intern
Intern
Joined: 27 Dec 2010
Posts: 37
Schools: R2: HBS (Accepted), Stanford (Accepted) , MIT (Accepted)
WE 1: Consulting
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 2

Re: Calling all MIT Sloan Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2011, 09:59
The historical clearadmit interview reports, while a bit more dated than other schools for some reason, had everything I encountered. I would focus on the behavioral question prep as the curveballs seem to have little curve at MIT and you've probably covered that in other interviews. Basically just map the 20-30 common behavioral scenario Qs to your top 10 examples/ stories, speak to what you personally did, and be ready to come up with one or two stories on the fly.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Joined: 21 Jan 2011
Posts: 104
Schools: HBS (ding), Stanford (R2), INSEAD (admit)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all MIT Sloan Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2011, 01:42
Dear folks,
I've posted this on the HBS thread, but here is it again.
This questions address to all folks from Boston area, especially to female ones! (males' response accepted as well)

WHAT DO HUSBANDS OF FEMALE MBA STUDENTS DO IN BOSTON?

I'm posting this for my husband, while trying to convince him to come to the U.S. with me if I get admitted to HBS. We're now based in Europe.

Here are some of his "preference" and profile:

First of all, Boston area is greatly preferred, otherwise he doesn't see interests to move in if we're still seperated by 4 hours Bus between Boston and NYC for example.

He currently has a high position for the Ministry of Finance and Industry - reason why the convincing work is not easy. His interest is in the industrial sectors, potentially open for banks (more Project Financing than Pure trading and quant), but definitely no consulting.

I don't know where to find information.
Is there any European industrial group in the area? - I say "European" coz I heard that it's hard for foreigners to find a job directly in a US company ...
Are there big banks having HQ, big offices or significant presence in Boston?

I'm just wondering what do hubbies of women MBA students do in Boston?

Thank you so much if any of you could provide some thoughts on that!
Intern
Intern
Joined: 18 Mar 2011
Posts: 10
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all MIT Sloan Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2011, 18:23
still in Dark. no news at all, not even a Ding from LGO. waiting for R2.
Anyone in similar situation?
Intern
Intern
Status: Low GPA, Mediocre GMAT. Keeping my fingers crossed
Joined: 23 Aug 2010
Posts: 37
Schools: Kellogg MMM (Ding), Sloan LGO, Wharton (Ding), Stern (Ding), Booth (Ding), Haas (R3)
WE 1: Sr Product Manager
WE 2: Product Manager
WE 3: Sales Engineer
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all MIT Sloan Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2011, 23:19
JimfromSG wrote:
still in Dark. no news at all, not even a Ding from LGO. waiting for R2.
Anyone in similar situation?


Got the LGO ding letter saying I would be considered for the standard MBA program. No news since though.

Posted from my mobile device Image
Intern
Intern
Joined: 18 Feb 2010
Posts: 45
Schools: Haas (in); Yale (in); Kellogg (in); Sloan (interview/waiting)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 5

Re: Calling all MIT Sloan Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2011, 17:55
d3xc wrote:
The historical clearadmit interview reports, while a bit more dated than other schools for some reason, had everything I encountered. I would focus on the behavioral question prep as the curveballs seem to have little curve at MIT and you've probably covered that in other interviews. Basically just map the 20-30 common behavioral scenario Qs to your top 10 examples/ stories, speak to what you personally did, and be ready to come up with one or two stories on the fly.


i agree. my interview (last monday), was the same way. nothing stressful, pretty chill and i met some really cool people that were interviewing that day with me.
Intern
Intern
Status: Can't wait!
Joined: 07 Jan 2011
Posts: 42
Schools: Wharton Class of 2013
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling all MIT Sloan Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 24 Mar 2011, 17:53
Guys c'mon! Page 3?? Seriously?

Posted from my mobile device Image
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: All City Chess Club.
Joined: 06 Sep 2010
Posts: 126
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
Schools: MIT (Sloan) - Class of 2013
GPA: 3.34
WE: Editorial and Writing (Journalism and Publishing)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 11 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling all MIT Sloan Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 24 Mar 2011, 22:21
1
This post received
KUDOS
I interviewed, it went really well. The admissions staff was super nice. Didn't get any behavioral Qs though, just the usual: why MBA, why MIT,etc. Feels more like a conversation than an interview despite copious notes being jotted down haha. I interviewed on-campus.

Last edited by KD2010 on 29 Mar 2011, 08:28, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Status: Low GPA, Mediocre GMAT. Keeping my fingers crossed
Joined: 23 Aug 2010
Posts: 37
Schools: Kellogg MMM (Ding), Sloan LGO, Wharton (Ding), Stern (Ding), Booth (Ding), Haas (R3)
WE 1: Sr Product Manager
WE 2: Product Manager
WE 3: Sales Engineer
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all MIT Sloan Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 25 Mar 2011, 09:34
Moved into the R2 bucket from
LGO, but still no ding or interview invite. Anybody know if they're just waiting til the decision day at this point?

Posted from my mobile device Image
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: All City Chess Club.
Joined: 06 Sep 2010
Posts: 126
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
Schools: MIT (Sloan) - Class of 2013
GPA: 3.34
WE: Editorial and Writing (Journalism and Publishing)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all MIT Sloan Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 25 Mar 2011, 13:18
Hey guys do you all know if it would reflect poorly on an applicant to have graduates or faculty right a letter/petition on your behalf?
Manager
Manager
Joined: 25 Oct 2010
Posts: 90
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 2

Re: Calling all MIT Sloan Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2011, 06:42
@KD: from everything I've read on most of these forums, submitting any additional information after the due date (except for with waitlisted candidates) is a bad idea.

Posted from my mobile device Image
Manager
Manager
Joined: 25 Oct 2010
Posts: 90
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 2

Re: Calling all MIT Sloan Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2011, 14:36
Hey guys and gals. Just curious, has anyone in R1 heard about scholarships/fellowships? Curious as to how generous MIT is being this year :-).
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: All City Chess Club.
Joined: 06 Sep 2010
Posts: 126
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
Schools: MIT (Sloan) - Class of 2013
GPA: 3.34
WE: Editorial and Writing (Journalism and Publishing)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all MIT Sloan Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2011, 17:09
jj22l wrote:
@KD: from everything I've read on most of these forums, submitting any additional information after the due date (except for with waitlisted candidates) is a bad idea.

Posted from my mobile device Image


I'm wondering how reliable the forums can be because when I see someone say something like, "hey don't submit letters of support because when John Doe did and he got denied" might not be too accurate. He could've been denied for other reasons. I only say this because while I find the forums really helpful I popped open my Montauk MBA book and under letters of support there are quotes from NYU and Duke adcomm saying they encourage it and this book is the 5th 2010 edition.

I dropped a note in a profile evaluation post of mine, hopefully a admissions consultant can provide some insight.
Manager
Manager
Joined: 25 Oct 2010
Posts: 90
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 2

Re: Calling all MIT Sloan Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2011, 17:14
KD2010 wrote:
jj22l wrote:
@KD: from everything I've read on most of these forums, submitting any additional information after the due date (except for with waitlisted candidates) is a bad idea.

Posted from my mobile device Image


I'm wondering how reliable the forums can be because when I see someone say something like, "hey don't submit letters of support because when John Doe did and he got denied" might not be too accurate. He could've been denied for other reasons. I only say this because while I find the forums really helpful I popped open my Montauk MBA book and under letters of support there are quotes from NYU and Duke adcomm saying they encourage it and this book is the 5th 2010 edition.

I dropped a note in a profile evaluation post of mine, hopefully a admissions consultant can provide some insight.


Yea. I see your point. Only relaying what I have heard. I am curious to see if you can get an admissions consultant to weigh in. Pass on the good word if you get it!
Manager
Manager
Status: R1
Joined: 29 Nov 2010
Posts: 196
Location: United States
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GPA: 3.5
WE: Engineering (Computer Hardware)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 11

Re: Calling all MIT Sloan Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2011, 21:11
I recently heard that for round 2 of MIT there are just as less seats left as for round-3 for other schools. Is that true? If true, that'd mean that Sloan R2 is much tougher than R1 and there would be only 5-10% seats left to be filled in R2
Intern
Intern
Joined: 23 Jan 2011
Posts: 31
Schools: Sloan (R2), Wharton (R2), Darden (R2)
WE 1: 5 years finance
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 2

Re: Calling all MIT Sloan Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2011, 00:26
jk12 wrote:
I recently heard that for round 2 of MIT there are just as less seats left as for round-3 for other schools. Is that true? If true, that'd mean that Sloan R2 is much tougher than R1 and there would be only 5-10% seats left to be filled in R2


Where did you hear that from?
Manager
Manager
Joined: 25 Oct 2010
Posts: 90
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 2

Re: Calling all MIT Sloan Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2011, 03:42
@JK12: That idea would depend on us/whoever-told-you-this having knowledge of yield values for round 1. I do not think MIT updates their public information for who does/doesn't deposit, and therefore it would be impossible to make the assertion your source is claiming. I do know that MIT took more people than normal for R1. I think they are expecting a low yield and a bunch of fallout from people taking other R2 schools.

To add to that thought, I know of at least 3 people in R1 who were admitted but are choosing other schools and 1 person in R2 who, if admitted, has to defer.

Moral of the story? Rod Garcia said they admit 1/2 in R1 and 1/2 in R2. To be honest, I trust that MIT has their act together and planned accordingly (for yield). After-all, if MIT (of all schools!) miscalculates, the world would implode :-P.

Posted from my mobile device Image
Manager
Manager
Joined: 25 Oct 2010
Posts: 90
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 2

Re: Calling all MIT Sloan Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2011, 13:30
Darn MIT promo emails! Saw "MIT Sloan School of Management," heart jumped, then blah.

Not cool!

Posted from my mobile device Image
Intern
Intern
Joined: 31 Jan 2011
Posts: 33
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling all MIT Sloan Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2011, 13:46
jj22l wrote:
Darn MIT promo emails! Saw "MIT Sloan School of Management," heart jumped, then blah.

Not cool!

Posted from my mobile device Image


haha same here
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: All City Chess Club.
Joined: 06 Sep 2010
Posts: 126
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
Schools: MIT (Sloan) - Class of 2013
GPA: 3.34
WE: Editorial and Writing (Journalism and Publishing)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all MIT Sloan Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2011, 08:17
jj22l wrote:
KD2010 wrote:
jj22l wrote:
@KD: from everything I've read on most of these forums, submitting any additional information after the due date (except for with waitlisted candidates) is a bad idea.

Posted from my mobile device Image


I'm wondering how reliable the forums can be because when I see someone say something like, "hey don't submit letters of support because when John Doe did and he got denied" might not be too accurate. He could've been denied for other reasons. I only say this because while I find the forums really helpful I popped open my Montauk MBA book and under letters of support there are quotes from NYU and Duke adcomm saying they encourage it and this book is the 5th 2010 edition.

I dropped a note in a profile evaluation post of mine, hopefully a admissions consultant can provide some insight.


Yea. I see your point. Only relaying what I have heard. I am curious to see if you can get an admissions consultant to weigh in. Pass on the good word if you get it!


I went straight to the source, called admissions and they said you can email letters of support/recs. I specifically said I was a candidate who had been interviewed. Good luck everyone!
Manager
Manager
Joined: 25 Oct 2010
Posts: 90
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 2

Re: Calling all MIT Sloan Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2011, 08:38
KD2010 wrote:

I went straight to the source, called admissions and they said you can email letters of support/recs. I specifically said I was a candidate who had been interviewed. Good luck everyone!


Yes, and I can cut up boxes and use the flaps for wings...still doesn't mean I'm gonna fly. Although, I think I did glide one time.... :-)

Saying you can, and saying it's a productive thing to do, are two separate things. Did they say it is frowned upon? I have read admissions chats that have said: "you can send more, but we will only read 2." (I would assume that is an idle threat and they would read all 3.)

Seriously though, thanks for sharing! I don't really see how more can hurt. I agree with you in that a lot of it could just be chat fodder.
Re: Calling all MIT Sloan Fall 2011 Applicants!   [#permalink] 29 Mar 2011, 08:38
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. New 30 Experts publish their posts in the topic Calling All Fall 2010 MIT Sloan Applicants nink 897 08 Jun 2009, 16:39
New posts Calling All Fall 2010 MIT Sloan Applicants (Interview Poll) hankpunk 1 09 Dec 2009, 01:49
New posts MIT Sloan Fall 2011 wp06 5 04 Aug 2010, 09:50
Popular new posts 4 Calling All MIT Sloan Fall 2011 WAITLISTED mysamgmatclub 40 01 Feb 2011, 06:33
Moved topic 286 Experts publish their posts in the topic Calling all MIT Sloan Fall 2011 Applicants! RogerDodger 2142 06 Aug 2010, 15:53
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Calling all MIT Sloan Fall 2011 Applicants!

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  101   102   103   104   105  ...  108    Next  [ 2143 posts ] 



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.