Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Aug 2014, 06:27

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all MIT Sloan Fall 2011 Applicants!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: All City Chess Club.
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
Schools: MIT (Sloan) - Class of 2013
GPA: 3.34
WE: Editorial and Writing (Journalism and Publishing)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all MIT Sloan Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2011, 08:52
jj22l wrote:
KD2010 wrote:

I went straight to the source, called admissions and they said you can email letters of support/recs. I specifically said I was a candidate who had been interviewed. Good luck everyone!

Yes, and I can cut up boxes and use the flaps for wings...still doesn't mean I'm gonna fly. Although, I think I did glide one time.... :-)

Saying you can, and saying it's a productive thing to do, are two separate things. Did they say it is frowned upon? I have read admissions chats that have said: "you can send more, but we will only read 2." (I would assume that is an idle threat and they would read all 3.)

Seriously though, thanks for sharing! I don't really see how more can hurt. I agree with you in that a lot of it could just be chat fodder.

If you're in their maybe pile and an alum or faculty writes you a letter of support that is sent straight to admission members emails...it will get read. Also, if they could always try suggesting that they think you are a strong candidate for a scholarship/fellowship. There's a difference between a recommendation and a letter of support, I suggest the latter.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 2

Re: Calling all MIT Sloan Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2011, 08:56
KD2010 wrote:
jj22l wrote:
KD2010 wrote:

I went straight to the source, called admissions and they said you can email letters of support/recs. I specifically said I was a candidate who had been interviewed. Good luck everyone!

Yes, and I can cut up boxes and use the flaps for wings...still doesn't mean I'm gonna fly. Although, I think I did glide one time.... :-)

Saying you can, and saying it's a productive thing to do, are two separate things. Did they say it is frowned upon? I have read admissions chats that have said: "you can send more, but we will only read 2." (I would assume that is an idle threat and they would read all 3.)

Seriously though, thanks for sharing! I don't really see how more can hurt. I agree with you in that a lot of it could just be chat fodder.

If you're in their maybe pile and an alum or faculty writes you a letter of support that is sent straight to admission members emails...it will get read. Also, if they could always try suggesting that they think you are a strong candidate for a scholarship/fellowship. There's a difference between a recommendation and a letter of support, I suggest the latter.

Ah. An excellent point indeed! I didn't recall you saying your letter would be from an alum/faculty.

How is MIT about scholarships/fellowships? Are they rather frugal or quite giving? Businessweek shows a 20k mean. Not sure if that is very representative though.
Manager
Manager

Re: Calling all MIT Sloan Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2011, 16:02
jj22l wrote:
KD2010 wrote:
jj22l wrote:

Ah. An excellent point indeed! I didn't recall you saying your letter would be from an alum/faculty.

How is MIT about scholarships/fellowships? Are they rather frugal or quite giving? Businessweek shows a 20k mean. Not sure if that is very representative though.

Well yea a letter of support is from an alum, current student or faculty while a rec is from anybody including the said groups. When I called I said letter of support and they responded yes send "recommendations" to the email. I have no clue how liberal they are with aid but I'm hoping for $$ cause tuition is expensive!!!
Manager
Manager

Re: Calling all MIT Sloan Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2011, 16:07
KD2010 wrote:
Well yea a letter of support is from an alum, current student or faculty while a rec is from anybody including the said groups. When I called I said letter of support and they responded yes send "recommendations" to the email. I have no clue how liberal they are with aid but I'm hoping for $$ cause tuition is expensive!!!

Haha I hear ya! It'll be worth it! Or so I'm told :-P.
Intern
Intern
Schools: Harvard (R2-In!), Stanford (R2-ding), MIT (R2-In!)
WE 1: Engineer/MFG 4+ years

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 4

Re: Calling all MIT Sloan Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2011, 10:30
Anyone know if we can expect to be notified by mass email at noon like HBS, or does MIT prefer to call admits?

EDIT:

Also, any idea what the Round 2 admit weekend dates are? (just incase) :)
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 2

Re: Calling all MIT Sloan Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2011, 12:51
This post received
KUDOS
Hi,

I checked this forum and found the below information re. round 1 notifications:
1. Notifications were sent by email, but current students called admits right afterwards
2. Emails went out on the official day (not before) at around 6PM Boston time.

I guess we'll have to wait our email until Monday.

Vincent Ho-Tin-Noe (HBS '13)
CEO and co-founder
MBA Admissions Advisors LLC
http://www.mbaadmissionsadvisors.com

Get an immediate assessment of your odds at top MBA programs, try our algorithm for free: http://www.mbaadmissionsadvisors.com/mba-matching-algorithm/

Get ready for your Wharton interview: http://www.mbaadmissionsadvisors.com/wharton-interview-invitations-mock-team-based-discussion/

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: Haas (in); Yale (in); Kellogg (in); Sloan (interview/waiting)

Kudos [?]: 3 [1] , given: 5

Re: Calling all MIT Sloan Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2011, 13:06
This post received
KUDOS
gobig2011 wrote:
Anyone know if we can expect to be notified by mass email at noon like HBS, or does MIT prefer to call admits?

EDIT:

Also, any idea what the Round 2 admit weekend dates are? (just incase) :)

Admit wknd is Apr 29-30

Posted from my mobile device Image
Intern
Intern
Schools: Kellogg MMM (Ding), Sloan LGO, Wharton (Ding), Stern (Ding), Booth (Ding), Haas (R3)
WE 1: Sr Product Manager
WE 2: Product Manager
WE 3: Sales Engineer

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all MIT Sloan Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2011, 14:27
So if we haven't received an interview invite does that mean ding on Monday or is there a possibility of WL w/o interview?

Intern
Intern

Re: Calling all MIT Sloan Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2011, 17:18
d3miller wrote:
So if we haven't received an interview invite does that mean ding on Monday or is there a possibility of WL w/o interview?

Seen on the clearadmit website:
Current State: 3/30/2011: Although many Round 2 applicants have conducted their interviews, the adcom notes that Round 2 interview invites may be sent out up until the April 4th notification date, less than one week from now.

Vincent Ho-Tin-Noe (HBS '13)
CEO and co-founder
MBA Admissions Advisors LLC
http://www.mbaadmissionsadvisors.com

Get an immediate assessment of your odds at top MBA programs, try our algorithm for free: http://www.mbaadmissionsadvisors.com/mba-matching-algorithm/

Get ready for your Wharton interview: http://www.mbaadmissionsadvisors.com/wharton-interview-invitations-mock-team-based-discussion/

Intern
Intern
Schools: Sloanie 2013
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 2

Re: Calling all MIT Sloan Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2011, 02:41
Hey guys, good luck! The wait is almost over :) looking forward to meeting you in August!
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all MIT Sloan Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2011, 12:55
[/quote]

I'm wondering how reliable the forums can be because when I see someone say something like, "hey don't submit letters of support because when John Doe did and he got denied" might not be too accurate. He could've been denied for other reasons. I only say this because while I find the forums really helpful I popped open my Montauk MBA book and under letters of support there are quotes from NYU and Duke adcomm saying they encourage it and this book is the 5th 2010 edition.

I dropped a note in a profile evaluation post of mine, hopefully a admissions consultant can provide some insight.[/quote]

Yea. I see your point. Only relaying what I have heard. I am curious to see if you can get an admissions consultant to weigh in. Pass on the good word if you get it![/quote]

I went straight to the source, called admissions and they said you can email letters of support/recs. I specifically said I was a candidate who had been interviewed. Good luck everyone![/quote]

I emailed a thank you letter after the interview, including some additional information. It worked! Could you have included your support letter with a thank you letter? Sorry if it is too late.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all MIT Sloan Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2011, 18:19
got dinged from LGO still waiting for the R2 interview ..no updates........from India....
Intern
Intern
Schools: Kellogg MMM (Ding), Sloan LGO, Wharton (Ding), Stern (Ding), Booth (Ding), Haas (R3)
WE 1: Sr Product Manager
WE 2: Product Manager
WE 3: Sales Engineer

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all MIT Sloan Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2011, 20:44
kug1918 wrote:
got dinged from LGO still waiting for the R2 interview ..no updates........from India....

Ditto. We'll have our answers soon enough though!

Manager
Manager

Re: Calling all MIT Sloan Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 01 Apr 2011, 13:01
nofi wrote:

I'm wondering how reliable the forums can be because when I see someone say something like, "hey don't submit letters of support because when John Doe did and he got denied" might not be too accurate. He could've been denied for other reasons. I only say this because while I find the forums really helpful I popped open my Montauk MBA book and under letters of support there are quotes from NYU and Duke adcomm saying they encourage it and this book is the 5th 2010 edition.

I dropped a note in a profile evaluation post of mine, hopefully a admissions consultant can provide some insight.[/quote]

Yea. I see your point. Only relaying what I have heard. I am curious to see if you can get an admissions consultant to weigh in. Pass on the good word if you get it![/quote]

I went straight to the source, called admissions and they said you can email letters of support/recs. I specifically said I was a candidate who had been interviewed. Good luck everyone![/quote]

I emailed a thank you letter after the interview, including some additional information. It worked! Could you have included your support letter with a thank you letter? Sorry if it is too late.[/quote]

I sent a hand written card and my letter was sent straight from the alum via email.
Manager
Manager

Re: Calling all MIT Sloan Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 01 Apr 2011, 13:01
Monday, Monday.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all MIT Sloan Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 03 Apr 2011, 22:55
KD2010 wrote:
Monday, Monday.

Big day today..finding it hard to work with the tension of the pending result!
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 6

Re: Calling all MIT Sloan Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2011, 02:24
Good luck to everyone waiting to hear in Round 2 today!

IIRC in Round 1 we all got emails at 19:00 EST, followed swiftly by calls from current students. So expect a slightly long, nerve-wracking day.

I'll be heading along to the Round 2 AdMIT weekend, hopefully I will see a couple of you there too!
Intern
Intern
Schools: Haas (in); Yale (in); Kellogg (in); Sloan (interview/waiting)

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 5

Re: Calling all MIT Sloan Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2011, 11:58
is everyone in the chatroom waiting on an email or is everyone just reallllly quiet...
Manager
Manager
Schools: Booth R2, HBS R2 (w/o int), Sloan R2, Kellogg R2, LBS R2, GSB R2 w/o int

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 5

Re: Calling all MIT Sloan Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2011, 12:56
really really quiet.
Manager
Manager

Re: Calling all MIT Sloan Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2011, 13:07
Prospective sloanies aren't too social on GC lol. No movement on forum, few in chat.
Re: Calling all MIT Sloan Fall 2011 Applicants!   [#permalink] 04 Apr 2011, 13:07