Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Sep 2014, 03:57

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all MIT Sloan Fall 2011 Applicants!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: Calling all MIT Sloan Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2010, 11:16
Add my name for round 2. MIT Sloan is a dream!
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: Calling all MIT Sloan Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2010, 11:25
gogetter08 wrote:
Agree, 3 yr limit is very challenging. It is even more challenging for a re-applicant like me as one of my significant accomplishment has been rolled off the radar of a 3 yr moving window. Since I cannot mention the ones I wrote about last yr, I've to come up with new experiences for all the essays.

They really try to showcase their value of innovation ( & their 'hand and mind' motto) by asking for a different set and type(action based) of essays than most other schools. I gathered from their info session that unless it is a long term thing that extends into the last 3 yrs, they really do want us to confine us to the last 3 yrs. They know that most students switch careers, so they are least bothered about our career goals.
I say to myself that if I cannot overcome these challenges as a future business leader ;) , I deserve a ding. Saying this to myself keeps me going :)

something similar happened with me. I have significant accomplishment at 3 year boundary. That means i've to apply this year in Sloan just to cover that accomplishment.

Sloan seems very different than other schools. They are more interested in your past work rather then what you'll gonna do in future. They expect the same kinda answers(answers related to past work rather then future) in their interviews.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Affiliations: VFW, Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans of America, West Point Association of Graduates
Schools: Wharton Class of 2013
WE 1: Army Ranger / Infantry Platoon Leader Operation Iraqi Freedom (2 yrs)
WE 2: Company Executive Officer (1 yr)
WE 3: Company Commander (2 yrs)
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 63 [1] , given: 75

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all MIT Sloan Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2010, 20:26
This post received
KUDOS
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spX2Lba5 ... r_embedded

this may be helpful for some, I found it pretty interesting.

Also, a key thing that stuck with me was the theme of being a genuine person and speaking from the heart in essays (direct quote from admissions director)

A visit is also a key, according to this perspective at least.

Good luck everyone!

I am going for round 1, it is my true reach (along with Penn)
Current Student
Schools: Foster, Sloan (WL w/int.), Kellogg, Anderson
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 36

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all MIT Sloan Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 30 Aug 2010, 20:31
wp06 wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spX2Lba5mEI&feature=player_embedded

Also, a key thing that stuck with me was the theme of being a genuine person and speaking from the heart in essays (direct quote from admissions director)

Good luck everyone!

Thanks for passing along the great link WP06. His comment regarding the difference between speaking from the mind vs. the heart struck a chord with me as well.

How are your essays coming along? I just about wrapped with my cover letter -- sitting at 530 words though :? Time to get out the red pen.

Does anyone else go through this internal monologue when writing essays?: "Eff... how am I going to stretch this out to [X number]?" then 30 minutes later... "Eff... how am I going to keep this to only [X number]?"

Maybe it's just me...

(roll call updated)
Current Student
Affiliations: VFW, Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans of America, West Point Association of Graduates

Kudos [?]: 63 [0], given: 75

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all MIT Sloan Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2010, 06:38
Yea, I am working on those essays also,

My approach is probably similar to yours trying to balance out essays to show combat leadership, humanitarian side, and relationship building with Iraqi Army/Local City Council so not all my stories are combat craziness.

Cover Letter, I am working on now.

Are you heading up for a campus visit? I scheduled one for Sept 24 during leave.

The only thing I'm worried about is GMAT, I had to do a last minute cancel a couple weeks back due to a major problem at my unit where I had to come back. That sucked so now I am hitting it again Oct 16, which is last minute, but I will be out of Command and have more time to refresh and get my mind right for the test.

I am hoping the quote on the website that

"Remember that the most important information you can provide is a candid look at your story and the experiences that have shaped who you are today" will help me. I know I still am up against the odds until I improve GMAT but I know my story is compelling enough to hopefully warrant a closer look. Time will tell I guess.

Good luck everyone
Current Student
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 295

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all MIT Sloan Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2010, 19:55
wp06 wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spX2Lba5mEI&feature=player_embedded

Good luck everyone!

Thanks for the link! Definitely some useful insights.
Manager
Manager
Schools: HBS (Admit - Class of 2013)
WE 1: Strategy Consulting (2 years)
WE 2: Internet Startup (4 years)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling all MIT Sloan Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 01 Sep 2010, 02:46
I am also in for R1
Intern
Intern
Schools: Sloanie 2013

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 2

Re: Calling all MIT Sloan Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2010, 06:36
Avernusaur wrote:
Avernusaur wrote:
coffeeaddict wrote:
in for R1.
Does anyone else think MIT's requirement of only using experiences within the last 3 years is difficult? For the 3 essays plus the cover letter, you need four solid accomplishments. 3 years seems like too short a time!

I didn't have any difficulty finding 3 unique stories for the essays, but I've had a pretty action-packed 3 years (fortunately). I haven't finished my cover letter yet, so I'll share more detailed opinions after I've formed them. Generally speaking, the cover letter should be used to express your interest and fit with the program, so you shouldn't need a fully-developed unique "story" for that component of the application.

I'm quoting myself....

I wrote the first draft of my cover letter today and I think it came out pretty good. However, I didn't fully elaborate on a detailed example of "how" I had an impact on an organization. I listed a couple of accomplishments, all of which were positive impacts on the organization, but I didn't devote a paragraph to elaborating on a story. Has anyone talked to the adcom about this yet? I might call them tomorrow for clarification.

Directions: "Describe your accomplishments and include an example of how you had an impact on a group or organization."

I wrote about:
-Why I'm seeking a place in the program
-How I've researched the program (interactions with students and admissions officers)
-Details about me (accomplishments/development/impact)
-Features of the program I'd like to help develop

looks to me like you did a great job! MIT adcom is VERY responsive and if you even write them an email with your concerns they'll answer..

Best of luck!
Manager
Manager
Schools: MIT
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all MIT Sloan Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2010, 18:06
Hey,

I'm an MIT Sloan 2011 student, and a former user of this website. Just wanted to offer to be of help if you have any questions, or plan to visit.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 2

Re: Calling all MIT Sloan Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 04 Sep 2010, 00:00
collegesenior wrote:
Hey,

I'm an MIT Sloan 2011 student, and a former user of this website. Just wanted to offer to be of help if you have any questions, or plan to visit.

Hi! Thank you for your kind offer! I wanted to ask you if you are liking the quality of the classes. I attended a class last year and it was great but then I talked to one student who was swearing against another professor :)

What is you take on this?

Thank you very much!!
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 2

Re: Calling all MIT Sloan Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 04 Sep 2010, 11:30
collegesenior wrote:
Hey,

Thanks for the offer.
I plan to apply to MIT this R1.
However I am a bit older applicant as I will be 31 years old by the admission time.
I have 7 years working experiences so far.
What is your opinion on this ?

Cheers,
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Professional Engineers (Ontario)
WE 1: Nuclear Consultant - 3+ years
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 9

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all MIT Sloan Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2010, 08:03
I am in for Round 1.

One Life, One Chance

Current Student

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all MIT Sloan Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2010, 20:25
has anyone completed a campus visit yet and have any intel/perspective?

i am heading up for sept 24 and i will try to take some notes for the group here

good luck everyone!
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [1] , given: 2

Re: Calling all MIT Sloan Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2010, 23:01
This post received
KUDOS
wp06 wrote:

i am heading up for sept 24 and i will try to take some notes for the group here

good luck everyone!

Hi! I was there last year. I attended a ver fun marketing class and met with current students. The facilities are not like HBS but I love the energy you breathe at Sloan.

This is what is going to happen:

- presentation of the school with one of the adcom
- lunch break with current student
- class (which you will be able to pick)

I suggest you go around a bit because the building dedicated to AI studies is very nice!

Enjoy your visit and good luck with the application!
Intern
Intern
WE 1: IT Management Consultant

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling all MIT Sloan Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 11 Sep 2010, 17:50
wp06 wrote:

good luck everyone!

I'll be going up on Oct 4 or 5. Let us know what you find out and about any recommendations.

It seems like it's starting to get cold, can only imagine how it will be way up north in Boston.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all MIT Sloan Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2010, 21:46
Just to make sure im not going crazy, where do you upload your essays in the online application? I dont see it anywhere. im wondering if my application has a glitch and ive clicked on all the tabs multiple times. This is all i have on the left side screen when logged in into my app:

Application for Admission
Applicant Information
Education and Test Information
Academic Records/Transcripts
Employment Information
Optional Information
U.S. Citizens and U.S. Permanent Residents Only
Recommendations
Check Your Application

anyone else have this issue?
Current Student

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all MIT Sloan Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2010, 04:59
click on the MBA Applicants only link, its the last one before the Recommendations link, that is where they placed the essay/cover letter upload stuff
Current Student
Schools: Sloan R1, McCombs R1, Ross R1 (w/int), Haas R2, Kellogg R2
WE 1: Product Engineering/Manufacturing
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 26

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all MIT Sloan Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2010, 10:37
Really thinking about applying to Sloan R1. I don't feel like my experiences fit their essays at all, though. The fact that they're so different from everyone else honestly the main reason I'm not definitely applying - I really think it would be a great place for me.
5 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
WE 1: IT Management Consultant

Kudos [?]: 6 [5] , given: 1

Re: Calling all MIT Sloan Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2010, 14:32
This post received
KUDOS
mc wrote:
Really thinking about applying to Sloan R1. I don't feel like my experiences fit their essays at all, though. The fact that they're so different from everyone else honestly the main reason I'm not definitely applying - I really think it would be a great place for me.

Your experiences, different from those of everyone else, are exactly what makes you stand apart from other candidates. You shouldn't strive to "fit in" like everyone else because that's not who you are. You're an individual with unique experiences.

I would assess yourself as a candidate:
- do you fit within the 80% range for GMAT score
- do you possess stronger academics especially quantitative

Then be very introspective and think through all your experiences (in the past 3 years) to see
- where you had an impact,
- where you were innovative/beyond mediocrity/or more than status quo,
- where you have persuaded someone (or led them, by having followers you must have persuaded them)
- where you took responsibility to achieve something (can have positive or non-positive result)

Don't worry about being the "perfect candidate" who saved orphans in a 3rd world country, implemented some radical flash mob marketing campaign, convinced eskimos to buy your ice, and led a team of volunteers to build a house. Be who you are because no one is that perfect candidate.
Current Student

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all MIT Sloan Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2010, 15:34
k fire, great advice -- plus one kudos

i think you should go for it as well man
Re: Calling all MIT Sloan Fall 2011 Applicants!   [#permalink] 13 Sep 2010, 15:34