Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 18:24

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling All MIT Sloan Fall 2011 WAITLISTED

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 3 [1] , given: 9

Calling All MIT Sloan Fall 2011 WAITLISTED [#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2011, 06:33
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
If you decided to join the MIT Sloan waitlist, let's chat on this thread!

Sloan 2011 MBA Waitlist: (Count: 10)

Round 1:

JanetM
    jkl84
    mysamgmatclub
    neildiamond
    Nuj
    RodgerDodger
    sharksr1
    SloanHopeful
    TheBot
    worthyapplicant512

MIT Sloan waitlist chat from February 2, 2011:
http://mitsloan.mit.edu/mba/pdf/WL_Chat_Transcript_2-11.pdf
Attachments

MIT_Sloan_Waitlist_Chat_02Feb2011.pdf [649.78 KiB]
Downloaded 148 times

To download please login or register as a user

Last edited by mysamgmatclub on 07 Apr 2011, 07:49, edited 14 times in total.
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Current Student
Schools: Foster, Sloan (WL w/int.), Kellogg, Anderson
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 36

Re: Calling All MIT Sloan Fall 2011 WAITLISTED [#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2011, 07:37
Nice man, haha. Now I get to be the one to say... IN FOR [strike]ROUND 1[/strike]... WAITLIST! :roll:
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 9

Re: Calling All MIT Sloan Fall 2011 WAITLISTED [#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2011, 07:39
RogerDodger wrote:
Nice man, haha. Now I get to be the one to say... IN FOR [strike]ROUND 1[/strike]... WAITLIST! :roll:

What do you think our chances are here?
Current Student

Re: Calling All MIT Sloan Fall 2011 WAITLISTED [#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2011, 09:48
mysamgmatclub wrote:
RogerDodger wrote:

What do you think our chances are here?

Honestly, I don't have a clue. I read it can range a lot. Some years it's been 0, others up to 25 (admitted from the waitlist).
Concentration: Marketing, Other
GPA: 3.64
WE: Accounting (Accounting)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 69 [0], given: 78515

CAT Tests
Re: Calling All MIT Sloan Fall 2011 WAITLISTED [#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2011, 09:58
Hi there,

I am also waitlisted. EXTREMELY dissapointed. :(

From what I have read (forums and chat transcripts), let's face it, our chances are close to zero.

On the other hand, if you go and pass GMAT for 800, or start a successfull international company till May, your chances are quite high, I think.
Intern
Intern
Schools: Columbia (accepted), Sloan (waitlisted), Yale (R2, interview), Booth (R2, interview), Kellogg (R2)
WE 1: 2 years public accounting/consulting
WE 2: 2 years nonprofit
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 5

Re: Calling All MIT Sloan Fall 2011 WAITLISTED [#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2011, 10:23
Perhaps each of us (or all of us together) can find a way to get famous. Star power ftw.
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: US Army Vet

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Calling All MIT Sloan Fall 2011 WAITLISTED [#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2011, 12:52
Waitlisted too -- 2 years in a row! Ouch.
Manager
Manager

Re: Calling All MIT Sloan Fall 2011 WAITLISTED [#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2011, 13:49
SloanHopeful wrote:

Ouch! Did you wait it out last year? How did it go? Did you hear of people getting accepted...etc
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: US Army Vet

Kudos [?]: 4 [1] , given: 0

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Calling All MIT Sloan Fall 2011 WAITLISTED [#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2011, 16:29
This post received
KUDOS
mysamgmatclub wrote:
SloanHopeful wrote:

Ouch! Did you wait it out last year? How did it go? Did you hear of people getting accepted...etc

Yep, I waited it out until September. Clearly it didn't go exceedingly well. I'm going to wait it again this year. Perseverance!

I know a few people got off the waitlist last year, but I can't say how many for sure. Perhaps during tomorrow's waitlist chat we'll get some more insight. Sloan's waitlist has no ranking system. They build a class and if someone with a specific profile (i.e. international female applicant, military applicant, etc) drops out, then they'll try to fill that slot with someone of a similar profile.

There's no use trying to game the system for historical data because the number of applicants admitted off the waitlist fluctuates every year. Best plan of attack is to occasionally submit an update via email (but not too often and only if you have something substantive to add) and to add another letter of recommendation or a letter of support from a current student (but only if they can write about you in depth).

In short, uncertainty is the key word here. 8-)

Now for some dark humor: Today I was still pretty bummed and couldn't study so I went to the gym to workout to burn off some of the disappointment. On the way back, I hopped on the subway and set next to a couple who were reading their "Welcome to Sloan" booklets. They were so excited. It was almost comical. What are the odds?!?!

I feel your disappointment all. Hang in there, keep your chins up, and press on!
Manager
Manager

Re: Calling All MIT Sloan Fall 2011 WAITLISTED [#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2011, 16:39
SloanHopeful wrote:
mysamgmatclub wrote:
SloanHopeful wrote:

Yep, I waited it out until September. Clearly it didn't go exceedingly well. I'm going to wait it again this year. Perseverance!

I know a few people got off the waitlist last year, but I can't say how many for sure. Perhaps during tomorrow's waitlist chat we'll get some more insight. Sloan's waitlist has no ranking system. They build a class and if someone with a specific profile (i.e. international female applicant, military applicant, etc) drops out, then they'll try to fill that slot with someone of a similar profile.

There's no use trying to game the system for historical data because the number of applicants admitted off the waitlist fluctuates every year. Best plan of attack is to occasionally submit an update via email (but not too often and only if you have something substantive to add) and to add another letter of recommendation or a letter of support from a current student (but only if they can write about you in depth).

In short, uncertainty is the key word here. 8-)

Now for some dark humor: Today I was still pretty bummed and couldn't study so I went to the gym to workout to burn off some of the disappointment. On the way back, I hopped on the subway and set next to a couple who were reading their "Welcome to Sloan" booklets. They were so excited. It was almost comical. What are the odds?!?!

I feel your disappointment all. Hang in there, keep your chins up, and press on!

Thanks SloanHopeful, g'luck to you too. Its a good thing that you can burn some disappointment in the gym, for me junk food has been my comfort since yesterday lol.
Current Student

Re: Calling All MIT Sloan Fall 2011 WAITLISTED [#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2011, 18:17
SloanHopeful, +1 thanks for the insight man. I'm really rooting for you now.

Looking forward to seeing how many people will join the chat tomorrow.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 19

Re: Calling All MIT Sloan Fall 2011 WAITLISTED [#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2011, 21:16
WL as well. Please add me to the roll call.
Intern
Intern
Schools: Stanford (r2), Tuck (r2), Kellogg (r2), Yale (r2)
WE 1: Investment Bank-1 year
WE 2: Policy research - 2 years

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling All MIT Sloan Fall 2011 WAITLISTED [#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2011, 21:28
Waitlisted as well. I'm based in India and had a phone interview on the day of the deadline - 10AM Est on 31st. Got waitlisted later that day. Please add me to the roll call
Manager
Manager

Re: Calling All MIT Sloan Fall 2011 WAITLISTED [#permalink] New post 02 Feb 2011, 04:46
Roll call updated.
2 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 45 [2] , given: 36

Re: Calling All MIT Sloan Fall 2011 WAITLISTED [#permalink] New post 02 Feb 2011, 09:10
This post received
KUDOS
FYI - For anyone who might've missed it... I've posted a transcript of this morning's waitlist chat on mysam's OP above (hope you don't mind). There were around 45 applicants who joined the chat, and Jen Barba has stated that the WL has around 100 R1 candidates.
Manager
Manager

Re: Calling All MIT Sloan Fall 2011 WAITLISTED [#permalink] New post 02 Feb 2011, 11:25
RogerDodger wrote:
FYI - For anyone who might've missed it... I've posted a transcript of this morning's waitlist chat on mysam's OP above (hope you don't mind). There were around 45 applicants who joined the chat, and Jen Barba has stated that the WL has around 100 R1 candidates.

Thanks for capturing it RodgerDodger. I was there too. It looks like its going to be a loooong wait and a 10-20% chance of getting in at best. Would you agree?
Current Student

Re: Calling All MIT Sloan Fall 2011 WAITLISTED [#permalink] New post 02 Feb 2011, 11:35
mysamgmatclub wrote:
RogerDodger wrote:
FYI - For anyone who might've missed it... I've posted a transcript of this morning's waitlist chat on mysam's OP above (hope you don't mind). There were around 45 applicants who joined the chat, and Jen Baraba has stated that the WL has around 100 R1 candidates.

Thanks for capturing it RodgerDodger. I was there too. It looks like its going to be a loooong wait and a 10-20% chance of getting in at best. Would you agree?

Yeah - a long wait indeed. I don't know about chances... I wouldn't venture a guess since it varies so much year over year... And ultimately, it all boils down to who's turning down their offers of admission to matriculate elsewhere, and whether that guy/girl has a profile similar to yours. Best thing we can do is submit a letter of intent, hopefully include additional information that builds a better case... and pray to the bschool gods :wink:
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: Calling All MIT Sloan Fall 2011 WAITLISTED [#permalink] New post 02 Feb 2011, 12:26
Thank you for capturing the chat transcript.. this is really really helpful.
BTW could you add me to the roll call?

Thanks!
Manager
Manager
Schools: Sloan(WL), Johnson(Int-Waiting)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 3

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Calling All MIT Sloan Fall 2011 WAITLISTED [#permalink] New post 03 Feb 2011, 10:04
Waitlisted as well, please add me to the roll call. ugh...
Current Student

Re: Calling All MIT Sloan Fall 2011 WAITLISTED [#permalink] New post 04 Feb 2011, 22:55
Bump.

Sent a "letter of intent" email to the waitlist manager today.

And the wait continues...

Posted from my mobile device Image
Re: Calling All MIT Sloan Fall 2011 WAITLISTED   [#permalink] 04 Feb 2011, 22:55