Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Aug 2014, 22:57

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all Non-Traditional Candidates

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Current Student
Concentration: Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.41
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 131 [0], given: 78

Premium Member
Calling all Non-Traditional Candidates [#permalink] New post 30 Sep 2012, 00:46
I know there are a bunch of us out there. I'm curious to hear about people's experiences. Maybe people want to answer these questions below? I'll start. :)

1) What makes your application atypical?

I work for an education non-profit. I have never taken an econ class before and I didn't even know b-school accepted people who weren't bankers and consultants until 8 months ago.

2) What's driving you to get an MBA?

My field could really benefit from better partnerships with the for-profit world, something a well-networked MBA can do. In addition, I'd love to see non-profits led by innovative and successful visionaries who have soft skills of management and hard skills of finance. I'm hoping an MBA can teach me these things, or at least hone some of my natural instincts.

3) How have people reacted (e.g. friends, boss, coworkers, family, etc.)

I'm surprised by how excited and supportive my friends have been. People have really come out of the woodwork with friends and family who have gotten MBAs and gotten me in touch. They're all really excited for me. Apparently the MBA is the most fun degree ever. My boss may be the most skeptical, but I might just be reading into the fact that she'd rather I stick around! :)

4) What are your fears and excitement about b-school?

I'm worried I'll be a total random outsider and that people will be freakishly ambitious and profit-driven monsters. So far my fears have been squelched quite well from meeting current students I've met, but somewhat reinforced by the prospective students at events. I'm really excited to learn all kinds of new things and be back at school. It's been too long!

5) Anything else you want to say!

Good luck everyone!

Blogging about the MBA application process. Because I need to do something with all this bschool energy.
http://www.mybreakaway.com/ Recent post: September 20, "Transitions"

Yale School of Management MBA Candidate, 2015.

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Non-Traditional Candidates [#permalink] New post 02 Oct 2012, 20:12
No Worries, I'm right there with you. I'm a Peace Corps Volunteer in South America who has previous experience working in Human Rights NGOs and Academia. I was, however, an Econ major in college (along with International Relations). We're applying to some similar schools, so it'll be interesting to see how things work out. Best of luck!
Re: Calling all Non-Traditional Candidates   [#permalink] 02 Oct 2012, 20:12