Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 21:43 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 21:43

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 332 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
 Q49  V41
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 155 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Strategy, Management, Finance
Schools:Chicago Booth 2011
 Q50  V47
Send PM
Re: Calling all NYU Fall '09 applicants! [#permalink]
I'm visiting NYU on Tuesday, trying to get in touch with MCA members so I can meet them for lunch. Anybody have recommendations for Tuesday 1:15pm classes?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 69 [0]
 Q48  V39
Send PM
Professor White is very well known and teaches Microeconomics (Firms & Markets) at 1:30. This is a core class so you can see the type of setting core classes are in and the distribution of students. They might have a midterm though.

I have Professor Deo for Statistics. Very dry class but this guy does an extremely good job explaining concepts compared to others. You'd probably find it boring.

There is an Investment Banking class with Froewiss but I know nothing about it. MBA2s probably.

Marketing class in Entertainment & Media sounds cool and is likely a Stern Only type class. MBA2s probably.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 223 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: General Management
Schools:NYU Stern '11
In case anyone else is looking for it, here's the Stern recommendation form. Looks pretty straightforward. Thanks, sterny.
Attachments
SVP
SVP
Send PM
solaris1 wrote:
So I visited a marketing class at Stern today. I'd sat in on too many finance and accounting classes at other schools, so I thought I'd try marketing out for a change. The class unfortunately would have been a total snoozefest, had it not been for one really awesome presentation by a couple of European second year students. I'm so totally writing about them in my essays!

Other impressions - the Sternies are a cool bunch, no doubt, but now that I've spent some more time with them, I think some take the "down to earth" bit a little too seriously and "down to business" not as seriously. :? Just my highly subjective opinion I guess.

Not sure whether you read my write-up from my visit last year. But I did notice a few students fall asleep and others fiddling with their iphones throughout the class. I don't think it's a big deal. You get what you want out of the class time and concentrate more on recruiting.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 155 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Strategy, Management, Finance
Schools:Chicago Booth 2011
 Q50  V47
Send PM
Does the following only apply to the first page of the essay or every page? If only the first page, then it should probably go in the header section of a Word document.

Label the top of each essay with the following: Name, Date of Birth (Month, Day, Year), Essay Number, and Page Number [ex. Joe Applicant, January 1, 1981, Essay 1, Page 1]

Also, how far back should work history go? Just post-college or are you guys including employment during UG?
SVP
SVP
Send PM
sonibubu wrote:
Does the following only apply to the first page of the essay or every page? If only the first page, then it should probably go in the header section of a Word document.

Label the top of each essay with the following: Name, Date of Birth (Month, Day, Year), Essay Number, and Page Number [ex. Joe Applicant, January 1, 1981, Essay 1, Page 1]

Also, how far back should work history go? Just post-college or are you guys including employment during UG?

I'm certain it's every page. I believe the adcoms print the application to read it.

Post college only, unless significant.
VP
VP
Hmm.

I'm reading "list all positions you have held" to include part-time employment as a student. Every other application I've completed so far has asked for the same.

Moreover, there's very limited scope to talk about these jobs in the "Activities" section because of the 600 character limit. And I want to talk about this work experience because it sort of mirrors my extracurricular interests in college.

kidderek wrote:
Post college only, unless significant.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
Regarding essay #3.

Do the adcoms really want to get to know us? Should I talk about the time I made the final table at the WSOP? Or should I use it more as a means to explain how I fit in at Stern?
VP
VP
The World Series of Poker, seriously? Damn. I think you should talk about fit in essay 2 ideally, or at least that's how I'll approach things.

I intend to cover everything personal I don't already state in my resume, essays 1 and 2 etc. in essay 3.

kidderek wrote:
Regarding essay #3.

Do the adcoms really want to get to know us? Should I talk about the time I made the final table at the WSOP? Or should I use it more as a means to explain how I fit in at Stern?
SVP
SVP
Send PM
solaris1 wrote:
The World Series of Poker, seriously? Damn. I think you should talk about fit in essay 2 ideally, or at least that's how I'll approach things.

I intend to cover everything personal I don't already state in my resume, essays 1 and 2 etc. in essay 3.

kidderek wrote:
Regarding essay #3.

No no. WSOP final table never happened. I was just wondering if they look for things that stand out like that or is my obsession with golf enough?
VP
VP
I don't think they're "looking" for anything per se, if golf is a huge part of who you are, sure why not. I wouldn't write an essay, a creative/personal one especially, based on what I thought the adcoms wanted to hear.

kidderek wrote:
No no. WSOP final table never happened. I was just wondering if they look for things that stand out like that or is my obsession with golf enough?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
solaris1 wrote:
I wouldn't write an essay, a creative/personal one especially, based on what I thought the adcoms wanted to hear.

You mean you would?
VP
VP
Ummm, no.

I mean I wouldn't write a personal essay based on my perception of what the adcom might or might/not find interesting, because there's obviously not a formula [unlike the goals/leadership essays] to doing well on NYU's essay 3 and their ilk.

Cliched as it might sound, I would just go with something you feel genuinely describes you as a person.

kidmann wrote:
solaris1 wrote:
I wouldn't write an essay, a creative/personal one especially, based on what I thought the adcoms wanted to hear.

You mean you would?
SVP
SVP
Send PM
Scheduled my class visit for Thursday 10/23 5:45p Corp Finance.

Any current students want to meet up for coffee at 3pm or 5pm?

3underscore? navy01? Bueller? Bueller?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance (Corp Fin, Financial Instruments)
Schools:NYU Stern 2009
Send PM
I should meet you before if you want (5pm or so), after and take you to beer blast really, shouldn't I? Actually, I can meet you earlier as I am meant to have an awesome class at 3pm but it is the (optional) midterm, which I am optionally not taking part in.

As for the essay 3 - the way I see it, this is the way you actually make a load of normal business school stuff turn into a real person. WSOP final table should absolutely find a way into that (the World MBA poker thing wouldn't be Stern specific, and when we went we did it off our own back, so isn't their thing really and not right for essay 2, in my mind).

Essay 3 is deliberately a blank canvas for you to take where you will. I think it is best used to make the whole application pull together and cover things not mentioned elsewhere (typically - making it clear you aren't a really dull overachieving student and career person but actually - loh! - have a life). My 2c.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 69 [0]
 Q48  V39
Send PM
I'm available this thursday. I'll stop by the coffee area around 3 but have to leave at 4:30 for a recruiting event. PM me so we can meet up and exchange names.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 10035 [0]
Given Kudos: 361
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Other
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2011
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hey, guys! They require 2 recommendations from supervisors and allow additional one. Can I add my peer recommendation who know me for ~7 years as an additional recommender, or it is not worth to do so?

Thanks in advance
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  19