Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 13:05

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all NYU Fall '09 applicants!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
SVP
SVP
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 82 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all NYU Fall '09 applicants! [#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2008, 11:07
sentiment wrote:
The adcom rep at the off campus event told us that there is no advantage in submitting the app on 20th Oct versus 15th Nov. Did he goof up facts on that one?

Probably no difference, except that it's one less thing to worry about.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all NYU Fall '09 applicants! [#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2008, 12:09
Quote:
As for beer blast, all you need to do is show up with $10 and you can get in. If they question you, just say you've heard this is one of the very unique aspects of stern and you wanted to experience it as a prospective student. THEN, go to the flip cup table or walk up to a group of people and tell them you are a prospective student and I'm sure you'll get an earful.

I would love to be a host but recruiting is starting this Monday so I'll have two events every night which go from 4:30 to 9:00 so I probably won't make it. I'm going to assume this is the time when MBA2s go to beer blast since all the MBA1s will have cleared out.

Just as an FYI, there is no beer blast today. To go to beer blast, just go to Kaufman Management Center, pass the security desk and take the stairs down to the basement. It's $10 all you can drink and they have two different pizza deliveries at 6 and 9. There is wine and beer, drinking games, etc. It's very well attended and it ends at 10 pm after which people either go home or go out to the local bars. I have class on Thursday night which ends at 9 and usually just head downstairs. It's only $5 if you show up for the final hour. It's a great deal to grab a few beers and some pizza for $5.

Cheers and good luck to all of you with your apps.

This sticker is dangerous and inconvenient but I do love Fig Newtons!

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all NYU Fall '09 applicants! [#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2008, 06:54
Hello guys - I'm applying R1 as well.

Question about transcripts for the international folks around here.

I have transcripts in Italian and French, but my university also provides the English translated version. Do you think I can use the transcript upload system? Technically both versions (English and Italian/French) are the "original".

Confused about the instructions... and when I called yesterday they weren't very helpful (i.e. no idea).

Thanks in advance
Director
Director
Schools: Chicago Booth 2011
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 82 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all NYU Fall '09 applicants! [#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2008, 08:03
I'm visiting NYU on Tuesday, trying to get in touch with MCA members so I can meet them for lunch. Anybody have recommendations for Tuesday 1:15pm classes?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all NYU Fall '09 applicants! [#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2008, 14:25
Professor White is very well known and teaches Microeconomics (Firms & Markets) at 1:30. This is a core class so you can see the type of setting core classes are in and the distribution of students. They might have a midterm though.

I have Professor Deo for Statistics. Very dry class but this guy does an extremely good job explaining concepts compared to others. You'd probably find it boring.

There is an Investment Banking class with Froewiss but I know nothing about it. MBA2s probably.

Marketing class in Entertainment & Media sounds cool and is likely a Stern Only type class. MBA2s probably.
SVP
SVP
Schools: NYU Stern '11
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 205 [0], given: 22

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all NYU Fall '09 applicants! [#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2008, 16:41
In case anyone else is looking for it, here's the Stern recommendation form. Looks pretty straightforward. Thanks, sterny.

Attachments

Fall 2008 Recommendation Form (reference only)[1].pdf [53.43 KiB]
Downloaded 78 times

To download please login or register as a user

SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all NYU Fall '09 applicants! [#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2008, 08:55
solaris1 wrote:
So I visited a marketing class at Stern today. I'd sat in on too many finance and accounting classes at other schools, so I thought I'd try marketing out for a change. The class unfortunately would have been a total snoozefest, had it not been for one really awesome presentation by a couple of European second year students. I'm so totally writing about them in my essays!

Other impressions - the Sternies are a cool bunch, no doubt, but now that I've spent some more time with them, I think some take the "down to earth" bit a little too seriously and "down to business" not as seriously. :? Just my highly subjective opinion I guess.

Not sure whether you read my write-up from my visit last year. But I did notice a few students fall asleep and others fiddling with their iphones throughout the class. I don't think it's a big deal. You get what you want out of the class time and concentrate more on recruiting.
Director
Director
Schools: Chicago Booth 2011
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 82 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all NYU Fall '09 applicants! [#permalink] New post 12 Oct 2008, 09:55
Does the following only apply to the first page of the essay or every page? If only the first page, then it should probably go in the header section of a Word document.

Label the top of each essay with the following: Name, Date of Birth (Month, Day, Year), Essay Number, and Page Number [ex. Joe Applicant, January 1, 1981, Essay 1, Page 1]

Also, how far back should work history go? Just post-college or are you guys including employment during UG?
SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all NYU Fall '09 applicants! [#permalink] New post 12 Oct 2008, 14:20
sonibubu wrote:
Does the following only apply to the first page of the essay or every page? If only the first page, then it should probably go in the header section of a Word document.

Label the top of each essay with the following: Name, Date of Birth (Month, Day, Year), Essay Number, and Page Number [ex. Joe Applicant, January 1, 1981, Essay 1, Page 1]

Also, how far back should work history go? Just post-college or are you guys including employment during UG?

I'm certain it's every page. I believe the adcoms print the application to read it.

Post college only, unless significant.
SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all NYU Fall '09 applicants! [#permalink] New post 12 Oct 2008, 14:32
Hmm.

I'm reading "list all positions you have held" to include part-time employment as a student. Every other application I've completed so far has asked for the same.

Moreover, there's very limited scope to talk about these jobs in the "Activities" section because of the 600 character limit. And I want to talk about this work experience because it sort of mirrors my extracurricular interests in college.

kidderek wrote:
Post college only, unless significant.
SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all NYU Fall '09 applicants! [#permalink] New post 14 Oct 2008, 10:18
Regarding essay #3.

Do the adcoms really want to get to know us? Should I talk about the time I made the final table at the WSOP? Or should I use it more as a means to explain how I fit in at Stern?
SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all NYU Fall '09 applicants! [#permalink] New post 14 Oct 2008, 10:25
The World Series of Poker, seriously? Damn. I think you should talk about fit in essay 2 ideally, or at least that's how I'll approach things.

I intend to cover everything personal I don't already state in my resume, essays 1 and 2 etc. in essay 3.

kidderek wrote:
Regarding essay #3.

Do the adcoms really want to get to know us? Should I talk about the time I made the final table at the WSOP? Or should I use it more as a means to explain how I fit in at Stern?
SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all NYU Fall '09 applicants! [#permalink] New post 14 Oct 2008, 10:40
solaris1 wrote:
The World Series of Poker, seriously? Damn. I think you should talk about fit in essay 2 ideally, or at least that's how I'll approach things.

I intend to cover everything personal I don't already state in my resume, essays 1 and 2 etc. in essay 3.

kidderek wrote:
Regarding essay #3.

No no. WSOP final table never happened. I was just wondering if they look for things that stand out like that or is my obsession with golf enough?
SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all NYU Fall '09 applicants! [#permalink] New post 14 Oct 2008, 10:42
I don't think they're "looking" for anything per se, if golf is a huge part of who you are, sure why not. I wouldn't write an essay, a creative/personal one especially, based on what I thought the adcoms wanted to hear.

kidderek wrote:
No no. WSOP final table never happened. I was just wondering if they look for things that stand out like that or is my obsession with golf enough?
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all NYU Fall '09 applicants! [#permalink] New post 14 Oct 2008, 11:07
solaris1 wrote:
I wouldn't write an essay, a creative/personal one especially, based on what I thought the adcoms wanted to hear.

You mean you would?
SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all NYU Fall '09 applicants! [#permalink] New post 14 Oct 2008, 11:10
Ummm, no.

I mean I wouldn't write a personal essay based on my perception of what the adcom might or might/not find interesting, because there's obviously not a formula [unlike the goals/leadership essays] to doing well on NYU's essay 3 and their ilk.

Cliched as it might sound, I would just go with something you feel genuinely describes you as a person.

kidmann wrote:
solaris1 wrote:
I wouldn't write an essay, a creative/personal one especially, based on what I thought the adcoms wanted to hear.

You mean you would?
SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all NYU Fall '09 applicants! [#permalink] New post 14 Oct 2008, 12:38
Scheduled my class visit for Thursday 10/23 5:45p Corp Finance.

Any current students want to meet up for coffee at 3pm or 5pm?

3underscore? navy01? Bueller? Bueller?
VP
VP
Schools: NYU Stern 2009
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 218 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all NYU Fall '09 applicants! [#permalink] New post 18 Oct 2008, 08:30
I should meet you before if you want (5pm or so), after and take you to beer blast really, shouldn't I? Actually, I can meet you earlier as I am meant to have an awesome class at 3pm but it is the (optional) midterm, which I am optionally not taking part in.

As for the essay 3 - the way I see it, this is the way you actually make a load of normal business school stuff turn into a real person. WSOP final table should absolutely find a way into that (the World MBA poker thing wouldn't be Stern specific, and when we went we did it off our own back, so isn't their thing really and not right for essay 2, in my mind).

Essay 3 is deliberately a blank canvas for you to take where you will. I think it is best used to make the whole application pull together and cover things not mentioned elsewhere (typically - making it clear you aren't a really dull overachieving student and career person but actually - loh! - have a life). My 2c.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all NYU Fall '09 applicants! [#permalink] New post 18 Oct 2008, 11:11
I'm available this thursday. I'll stop by the coffee area around 3 but have to leave at 4:30 for a recruiting event. PM me so we can meet up and exchange names.
Expert Post
CEO
CEO
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Other
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2011
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
Followers: 349

Kudos [?]: 1683 [0], given: 354

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Calling all NYU Fall '09 applicants! [#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2008, 06:50
Expert's post
Hey, guys! They require 2 recommendations from supervisors and allow additional one. Can I add my peer recommendation who know me for ~7 years as an additional recommender, or it is not worth to do so?

Thanks in advance

HOT! GMAT TOOLKIT 2 (iOS) / GMAT TOOLKIT (Android) - The OFFICIAL GMAT CLUB PREP APP, a must-have app especially if you aim at 700+ | PrepGame

Re: Calling all NYU Fall '09 applicants!   [#permalink] 23 Oct 2008, 06:50