Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Apr 2014, 22:54

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all NYU Fall '09 applicants!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Current Student
Schools: Wharton'11 HBS'12
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 148 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all NYU Fall '09 applicants! [#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2008, 08:35
Walker if your peer is some nobel prize winner, then yes..otherwise whats the point??
CEO
CEO
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Other
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2011
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
Followers: 326

Kudos [?]: 1574 [0], given: 354

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Calling all NYU Fall '09 applicants! [#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2008, 09:52
Expert's post
:) So, 2 recom

NEW! GMAT ToolKit 2 (iOS) / GMAT ToolKit (Android) - The must have GMAT prep app | PrepGame

Current Student
Schools: Wharton'11 HBS'12
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 148 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all NYU Fall '09 applicants! [#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2008, 10:23
walker wrote:
:) So, 2 recom

schools are looking for additional data points about you, if all your recommender are from work..then you look like a workaholic..and thats not what you want..so 3rd person could be outside of work, someone who can say walker is a good professional but he is a great leader outside of work..
CEO
CEO

Re: Calling all NYU Fall '09 applicants! [#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2008, 10:43
Expert's post
I started with him my career and moved together through many obstacles. Sometimes he was my direct supervisor, sometimes I was. Now he is CFO of one of large manufacturing plants here and my close friend...I thought he could give some information about me from both professional and personal life...

NEW! GMAT ToolKit 2 (iOS) / GMAT ToolKit (Android) - The must have GMAT prep app | PrepGame

SVP
SVP
Schools: NYU Stern '11
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 203 [0], given: 22

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all NYU Fall '09 applicants! [#permalink] New post 24 Oct 2008, 19:38
Did anyone apply to attend the "Inside Marketing at NYU Stern" event on November 14 - the day of the Graduate Marketing Conference?

I just got waitlisted for it, it seems like Stern's generating a lot of interest even from the non-IB folks this year.

:?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all NYU Fall '09 applicants! [#permalink] New post 25 Oct 2008, 05:30
FYI, I will be at Stern's Opening Doors for Women if any of you are attending.
VP
VP
Schools: NYU Stern 2009
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 218 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all NYU Fall '09 applicants! [#permalink] New post 25 Oct 2008, 13:50
walker wrote:
Hey, guys! They require 2 recommendations from supervisors and allow additional one. Can I add my peer recommendation who know me for ~7 years as an additional recommender, or it is not worth to do so?

Thanks in advance

Only add recommenders if it significantly adds to the detail on you as a candidate. If it is more a repeat of similar information then it loses value and looks like an ill considered decision.

It isn't ruled out, but in the most part you should go for two. Given the experience you have, it isn't too dissimilar to what I had, and I felt no need to add one. Just pick the two wisely.
CEO
CEO

Re: Calling all NYU Fall '09 applicants! [#permalink] New post 25 Oct 2008, 14:24
Expert's post
Thank!

SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all NYU Fall '09 applicants! [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2008, 02:41
Anybody think it's a really bad idea to say I applied Columbia ED and was denied after an interview in that section of the Stern application that asks about where else I'm applying?

Or should I just tell them Cornell Johnson and UVa Darden? Or say nothing at all?

Ideally I'd like to be completely honest so I'm overanalyzing this for sure, but also not certain what admissions is looking to find out here.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all NYU Fall '09 applicants! [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2008, 03:10
solaris1 wrote:
Anybody think it's a really bad idea to say I applied Columbia ED and was denied after an interview in that section of the Stern application that asks about where else I'm applying?

Or should I just tell them Cornell Johnson and UVa Darden? Or say nothing at all?

Ideally I'd like to be completely honest so I'm overanalyzing this for sure, but also not certain what admissions is looking to find out here.

this question was asked at the Stern Reception I attended. The adcom said its only to guage Stern's rep and standing compared to other schools. Its fine if u leave it blank as well. I asked the same to an alum and he pretty much said the same thing.

Though I do not think you need to mention ur ding at all! Just Johnson and Darden is good.
VP
VP
Schools: NYU Stern 2009
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 218 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all NYU Fall '09 applicants! [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2008, 20:13
Just put where you have applied. People choose Stern over Columbia every year, and I am sure they see it as a regular data point. It is just for information on where they are perceived.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Ross, Darden, Yale SOM, Wharton, Kellogg (JD/MBA)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all NYU Fall '09 applicants! [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2008, 04:19
Hey guys,

I decided that I'm going to apply to Stern after all. I think that I'm going to sit in on a class next week. Has anyone sat in on a class? Any recommendations?

"Sic volvere parcas..."

Director
Director
Schools: Chicago Booth 2011
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 82 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all NYU Fall '09 applicants! [#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2008, 06:35
Just curious, do you guys think it's OK to write an essay for Essay #3 but also insert pictures into the document. Or is words-only the safest way to go?
SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all NYU Fall '09 applicants! [#permalink] New post 02 Nov 2008, 07:25
I think a lot of folks do a traditional essay with images, sonibubu. So if you think images would give your essay a bit more "oomph" - by all means go for it. It's been done before.

Now to go back to thinking about Essay 2(b)... :?
Current Student
Schools: Cornell '11
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all NYU Fall '09 applicants! [#permalink] New post 02 Nov 2008, 17:50
Question for everyone....with short-term aims to get into MC, do you think this would be looked upon as a bad "fit" for NYU if I write about those goals in my essay? Should I instead try to create a story about wanting to get into finance instead (in reality, I very well may change my mind and start in finance) to show better fit?
SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all NYU Fall '09 applicants! [#permalink] New post 02 Nov 2008, 18:31
Whatever makes for a more compelling "Why MBA?" argument, glettian. There's obviously several folks at Stern who have no intentions of going into finance, and yet fit in perfectly well into the NYU community and enjoy the academic experience.

In fact, I hope to be one of them myself.

glettian wrote:
Question for everyone....with short-term aims to get into MC, do you think this would be looked upon as a bad "fit" for NYU if I write about those goals in my essay? Should I instead try to create a story about wanting to get into finance instead (in reality, I very well may change my mind and start in finance) to show better fit?
Current Student
Schools: Cornell '11
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all NYU Fall '09 applicants! [#permalink] New post 02 Nov 2008, 23:46
Thanks Solaris!

Another question for anyone...I know this has probably been rehashed endlessly in other threads, but for Stern specifically, anyone have insight into how they view word limits? I'm about 50 words overboard on essay #1 (with a 750-limit), and would hate to have to take out anything.
SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all NYU Fall '09 applicants! [#permalink] New post 03 Nov 2008, 03:25
Well, they clearly say "750 words maximum" as opposed to making it a "recommended" or "suggested" word limit, so I would try to bring down that word count a bit.

glettian wrote:
Thanks Solaris!

Another question for anyone...I know this has probably been rehashed endlessly in other threads, but for Stern specifically, anyone have insight into how they view word limits? I'm about 50 words overboard on essay #1 (with a 750-limit), and would hate to have to take out anything.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all NYU Fall '09 applicants! [#permalink] New post 03 Nov 2008, 04:09
glettian wrote:

I wrote about pursing MC, but am now full-fledged into Investment Banking. If you are undecided, go with what makes the best case for why Stern and why a MBA.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Ross, Darden, Yale SOM, Wharton, Kellogg (JD/MBA)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all NYU Fall '09 applicants! [#permalink] New post 03 Nov 2008, 18:30
So I went on a tour of Stern this afternoon and sat in on a class (Mathematics of Investing). I was really impressed by the school. I just got a really great feeling from all the students that I met there. They all seemed really smart, but in a really approachable and laid-back way. I also got the impression that the career office is really thorough there. The class I sat in on was a straight finance course but the prof. had a good sense of humor. He was an old New Yorker...seemed like he knew his stuff. I enjoyed it.

Though my primary focus right now is on social enterprise, I was really intrigued by their entertainment business concentration. I'm going to have to take a class or two in that if I go there. Anyway, it was a really positive experience and I'm much more motivated now to work on my Stern app.

"Sic volvere parcas..."

Re: Calling all NYU Fall '09 applicants!   [#permalink] 03 Nov 2008, 18:30