Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 21:09

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all NYU Fall '09 applicants!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all NYU Fall '09 applicants! [#permalink] New post 02 Mar 2009, 12:16
Still waiting a response here as well.

My interview did not go as well as I initially had planned. I didn't have a good vibe with my interviewer.

Maybe its a good thing since I can forgo the $17K?
Intern
Intern
Schools: HBS, Wharton, CBS, Yale, NYU

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all NYU Fall '09 applicants! [#permalink] New post 03 Mar 2009, 19:41
I still haven't heard a thing from Stern. I submitted my application right before the deadline and received the status check login on Jan 30. Should I assume that they already put me on the list of dings?
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling all NYU Fall '09 applicants! [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2009, 10:17
I received notification last Friday the 27th that I have been waitlisted. I am still keeping hope and preparing my additional materials now.

Any advice?
Manager
Manager
Schools: Yale SOM 2011
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 7

Re: Calling all NYU Fall '09 applicants! [#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2009, 13:52
I just received an interview invite :banana. It's weird both Columbia and NYU interview invites came a couple of mins appart! I can now say today has been a good day!
SVP
SVP
Schools: Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Followers: 73

Kudos [?]: 688 [0], given: 548

Reviews Badge
Re: Calling all NYU Fall '09 applicants! [#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2009, 14:11
smokedpotatoes2 wrote:
I just received an interview invite :banana. It's weird both Columbia and NYU interview invites came a couple of mins appart! I can now say today has been a good day!

Congrats!!!!

:woohoo

Rock that interview and admit is almost in sight.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Current Student
Schools: NYU STERN
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all NYU Fall '09 applicants! [#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2009, 10:50
I was just waitlisted w/out interview... I am happy it was not ding but I'm not sure what to think.

I suppose I better start doing something to get myself off the waitlist. I am going to be laid off May 1st and not sure what to tell them! Any thoughts?!
Manager
Manager

Re: Calling all NYU Fall '09 applicants! [#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2009, 11:07
nink thanks 8-)

nink wrote:
smokedpotatoes2 wrote:

Congrats!!!!

:woohoo

Rock that interview and admit is almost in sight.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 2

Re: Calling all NYU Fall '09 applicants! [#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2009, 12:55
Hi everyone! I've never before posted on GMAT Club but you folks seem to be a wise and supportive bunch so I thought it couldn't hurt to ask your opinion. I was recently accepted to NYU Stern and this week received an interview invite to Yale SOM. I'm debating whether or not it'll be worth my while to proceed with the Yale interview because I think that, even if Yale wound up accepting me, I'd stick with Stern. (Not to mention the fact that I'm an international applicant so heading out to New Haven will be an investment in time and money.) I like the fact that Stern is in NYC (will make the job search easier), has a larger class size (greater networking potential among fellow students), and is known for being a fairly strong finance school. That being said, Yale has been picking up momentum in recent years, is developing a name for itself as a finance school, and the Yale brand carries significant weight in some circles. To put my question into context, I come from a finance background and hope to continue working in finance post-MBA. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling all NYU Fall '09 applicants! [#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2009, 18:21
anyone hear anything recently?
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling all NYU Fall '09 applicants! [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2009, 09:01
I was placed on the Waitlist in Feb and haven't heard anything new. I did hear that the waitlist should start to receive final decisions around the end of May.
Manager
Manager

Re: Calling all NYU Fall '09 applicants! [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2009, 09:16
Is anyone else having trouble getting on to the new student page? :?:
SVP
SVP
Schools: NYU Stern '11
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 205 [0], given: 22

Re: Calling all NYU Fall '09 applicants! [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2009, 09:38
smokedpotatoes2 - were you just admitted? If so, congratulations!

smokedpotatoes2 wrote:
Is anyone else having trouble getting on to the new student page? :?:
SVP
SVP
Schools: NYU Stern '11
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 205 [0], given: 22

Re: Calling all NYU Fall '09 applicants! [#permalink] New post 06 Apr 2009, 12:32
LOL. These were fantastic, 3underscore. Part 3, especially so.

3underscore wrote:
Stern Follies 2009 - Sterndog Millionaire

My friends put a ridiculous amount of work into this for follies this year. Enjoy (you probably might see bits at Preterm, or other "influences" for it from the class of 2009's time here)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ml_kKmiB2TA - Part 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNO5DERVCGk - Part 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UtFrfiyNdM - Part 3
Manager
Manager

Re: Calling all NYU Fall '09 applicants! [#permalink] New post 20 Apr 2009, 06:42
Sorry forgot to update but I decided to withdraw my NYU app. :-D

presently trying to decide between Duke, IESE, and Yale. Hopefully the Yale welcome weekend will shed some light as to my decision. 8-)
Current Student
Schools: NYU STERN
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all NYU Fall '09 applicants! [#permalink] New post 21 Apr 2009, 13:55
I was originally waitlisted w/out interview and today was invited to interview for Summer Start!! I am very excited and wonder from others who had summer start interviews how their experience was and how different this might be from other interviews?

Thanks!
CEO
CEO
Followers: 57

Kudos [?]: 443 [0], given: 210

Re: Calling all NYU Fall '09 applicants! [#permalink] New post 22 Apr 2009, 01:32
Mate this is AWESOME. I was rolling on the floor at Banksta's paradise....

3underscore wrote:
Stern Follies 2009 - Sterndog Millionaire

My friends put a ridiculous amount of work into this for follies this year. Enjoy (you probably might see bits at Preterm, or other "influences" for it from the class of 2009's time here)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ml_kKmiB2TA - Part 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNO5DERVCGk - Part 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UtFrfiyNdM - Part 3
Current Student

Re: Calling all NYU Fall '09 applicants! [#permalink] New post 22 Apr 2009, 06:51
smokedpotatoes2 wrote:
Sorry forgot to update but I decided to withdraw my NYU app. :-D

presently trying to decide between Duke, IESE, and Yale. Hopefully the Yale welcome weekend will shed some light as to my decision. 8-)

smokedpotatoes2 - I'm actually faced with the same decision on Yale! I'm hoping the welcoming weekend will be rocking
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 2

Re: Calling all NYU Fall '09 applicants! [#permalink] New post 22 Apr 2009, 12:59
I'm also facing the NYU Stern / Yale SOM dilemma... I resolved to attend both admit weekends before making a final decision. The Stern admit weekend was great -- I left impressed. Given that I come from a finance background and plan on pursuing a finance path post-MBA, I feel like Stern probably makes the most sense (particularly from a recruiting standpoint in this difficult environment where firms are likely to focus their efforts on "core" or local schools) but I'm going into the SOM weekend with an open mind and we'll see if they're able to convince me otherwise.
Current Student

Re: Calling all NYU Fall '09 applicants! [#permalink] New post 22 Apr 2009, 13:12
MbaHopeful2009 wrote:
I'm also facing the NYU Stern / Yale SOM dilemma... I resolved to attend both admit weekends before making a final decision. The Stern admit weekend was great -- I left impressed. Given that I come from a finance background and plan on pursuing a finance path post-MBA, I feel like Stern probably makes the most sense (particularly from a recruiting standpoint in this difficult environment where firms are likely to focus their efforts on "core" or local schools) but I'm going into the SOM weekend with an open mind and we'll see if they're able to convince me otherwise.

Mbahopeful2009 - glad to know there are other people out there faced with similar difficulties. I actually attended the Stern admit weekend and I would have to say that I wasn't that impressed. I also come from finance and I felt that the crowd I met were somewhat a bit too focused on finance. There wasn't the diversity I was looking for in a b-school, which I'm hoping to find at Yale. The focus on finance wasn't so much the problem, but I didn't find that I liked the caliber of people that I met. I'm sure I didn't get to meet everyone, but I'm just giving my plain observation. Moreover, everyone is so afraid of not finding a job in bschool. However, the fact of the matter is that at Stern, you'll be competing with a whole lot of other people who want the same positions. My perspective is that first, at Yale you might be faced with less competition since the diversity is so much gerater, but second, when and if the economy picks up it's going to be easier for everyone to find jobs.

Safest is to check out both schools. Let me know what you think though.
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all NYU Fall '09 applicants! [#permalink] New post 27 Apr 2009, 06:45
I am also in finance and had to choose between Yale and Stern. I consulted with many of my MDs who used to lead recruiting team for Lehman and Morgan. They don't recall having dedicated recruiting teams to Yale for IB/Capital Markets/IM institutional business. A few for Private Wealth Management. They do recruit at Yale undergrad for all divisions. Things might have changed since then and I know all BB banks recruit at Yale, but I googled my company's new associate roster going back historically and indeed found very few Yale MBAs.

I guess, you will certainly face less competition among Yale students for Finance jobs, however, banks will likely take fewer candidates from Yale overall, maybe even cut their recruiting at Yale given the current economic crisis and small intake from Yale every year...that worries me...less competition for positions is great, but no positions to compete for is even worse....
Re: Calling all NYU Fall '09 applicants!   [#permalink] 27 Apr 2009, 06:45