Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Nov 2014, 16:25

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all NYU Fall '09 applicants!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Current Student
Schools: Wharton
Followers: 18

Kudos [?]: 104 [0], given: 0

Calling all NYU Fall '09 applicants! [#permalink] New post 08 Jul 2008, 15:23
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Looks like I am the designated thread-opener for NYC schools :)

Well here we go, all Fall '09 Stern applicants, this is the place to discuss your admission process. While the essays have not been out yet, I assume they won't change much. The famed essay 3 still gives me the creeps - so would love to hear about what the rest of you are thinking!

Class of 2010 stats:
Class size - 415
Selectivity - 14%
Average undergraduate GPA - 3.4
Undergraduate GPA: 80% range - 3.0-3.8
Average GMAT score - 708
GMAT score: 80% range - 660-760
Average years of work experience - 4.9
Average age - 27
Female students - 41%
International students and dual citizens - 33%
Minority students - 30%
Underrepresented minority students - 15%

R1 Applicants
cez - submitted 11.15 | interview invite 01.19
LeftOut - submitted 11.15 | Waitlisted 01.14
liquidice - submitted 11.15 | interview invite 12.03 | interviewed 01.16 |
llest - submitted 11.15 | Dinged 01.16
Mclaughlin - submitted 11.15
Mishari - submitted 11.15 | | interview invite 01.23 |
mlchang616 - submitted 11.15 | Waitlisted 01.16
nink - submitted 10.25 | interview invite 12.04 | withdrawn
solaris1 - submitted 11.15 | | interview invite 12.15 | interviewed 01.06 | Admitted 01.13
sonibubu - withdrawn
sterny - withdrawn
suntaurian - submitted 11.15

R2 Applicants
arshia22 - submitted 01.15
GandalftheGrey - submitted 01.15
ozzie123 - submitted 01.15
rjacobs - submitted 01.02 (Consortium)

Awesome NYU photos here: http://www.pbase.com/hjsteed/wse&page=1

Attachment:
nyustern.jpg
nyustern.jpg [ 63.52 KiB | Viewed 9335 times ]

So here we go.. All the best!

Last edited by nink on 10 Apr 2009, 07:25, edited 34 times in total.
updated decision timeline(s)
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
2 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
Schools: NYU Stern '11
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 205 [2] , given: 22

Re: Calling all NYU Fall '09 applicants! [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2009, 10:54
This post received
KUDOS
Right, so folks I completed my interview earlier this week and now my application is apparently pending final review before a decision is rendered in (hopefully) another couple of weeks.

I had lunch with an MBA2 immediately before the interview. I chose to do so deliberately to pick up some last minute interview tips over lunch (this was at an Italian place in the Village btw, on NYU's tab) and calm myself down a little. Most of you know NYU Stern is my top choice school right now, so I'd been completely on edge going into the interview. Nonetheless, lunch was very pleasant and I was happy to find out that my host already had a full-time offer secured and said the overall mood at Stern, recruiting wise, was still pretty positive.

I received a NYU Stern t-shirt and a customized information package when I went to check in for my interview. A nice touch no doubt, and when I say customized, I mean CUSTOMIZED! I'd mentioned a couple of employers specifically in my goals essay, and my packet contained profiles of NYU Stern alumni at those employers, information about the Specializations I had indicated an interest in, as well stuff about the student clubs I had expressed an interest in in my essays and application.

I interviewed with one of the Associate Directors in Admissions. Now we've all heard about how the Stern interview isn't blind and the interviewer has gone through your application, recommendations, and especially the creative essay. If that was indeed the case, my interviewer did not really bring up anything I had spoken about in my essays. She had my resume in front of her, and the whole interview experience was an intense (but overwhelmingly cordial) 35-minute conversation about my career interests and how my somewhat distinctive long-term career goals came to be. I don't think I did as well as I would have liked, because I had prepped a lot of other things that seemed to be asked in NYU Stern interviews according to accepted.com and the ClearAdmit wiki. Of course, I did a good job of explaining the career path I chose and why I wanted to do what I want to do in the future, but because I hadn't expected to go into such minute detail, what I said (I think) unfortunately lacked sufficient polish and charisma. In fact the only "traditional" MBA interview question I was asked was, "...tell me about a significant professional accomplishment at employer XYZ..." and even that was specific to something I did for a particular employer. This was followed by questions about why I wanted, specifically, to work at the two employers I talked about in my essays (I brought one of them up several times during the interview) and what research I had done on them and their distinct practice specialties. Why would those employers want to hire me, and what I would do during my first semester to make sure I received an internship with those employers.

As some other people have reported elsewhere, the questions I was asked came in quick succession. I feel I slightly missed out on an opportunity to talk about how I planned on contributing to the Stern community et cetera. To make up for my gaffe in my interview at Cornell (some of you know the story), I did let my interviewer know that NYU Stern was my top choice school and if offered admission I would matriculate. I don't think that statement had the necessary effect however, haha, and it was probably a bit silly on my part.

So in summary, I don't think the NYU Stern interview is really something that can be prepared for - and I think it's a great thing they don't ask ridiculous questions about "teamwork," "leadership," and "ethical dilemmas." I appreciated the opportunity to talk about my plans with someone who clearly was very interested in what I had done earlier in my professional life, and my future ambitions.

Overall - nothing has changed my opinion of NYU Stern. I think it is a great school, I would love to be there and I think I made the right choice in applying to NYU Stern as a "somewhat of a reach" school instead of another M7 school.
2 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 205 [2] , given: 22

Re: Calling all NYU Fall '09 applicants! [#permalink] New post 28 Apr 2009, 06:07
This post received
KUDOS
MBAHopeful2009, Yale and NYU both have excellent business schools; you can't go wrong at either.

Since this is the NYU Stern '09 thread however, I wanted to chime in and respond to some of the points you raised.

There are indeed a lot of people from the New York area at Stern, just as there are a lot of people from the Northeast at Yale. The fact that NYU's Pre-View weekend was easiest to attend for people already living in New York might have made it seem like the student body was overwhelmingly from the tri-state area. If you look at the admitted student forums however, you know that isn't true.

Some of the newly admitted students in New York had met informally a few times before Pre-View weekend, and hence some of us knew each other already. I wouldn't necessarily call that cliquey however, and that is certainly not a tendency that will carry over to when the semester starts. Furthermore, when I was still researching schools, I specifically asked each Stern student I spoke to whether they continued to spend more time socially with their non-NYU friends in New York? Their response each time was that a lot of students were actually good friends with each other and that after a few weeks their NYU Stern and non-NYU social networks sort of meshed together and everyone ended up meeting a lot of new people that way.

And finally maybe I'm just assuming a lot of things here, but if you signed up for the finance "track" at Pre-View weekend, spent time at the finance tables during the student activities fair and attended the alumni in finance luncheon - it's no surprise that most of the people you met were interested in finance. My experience was slightly different. I signed up for the marketing "track," hung out at the marketing and media & entertainment tables during the student activities fair and sat in on lunch at an alumni in marketing table. As a result, I talked to only perhaps 6-8 people from finance backgrounds, only about half of which intended to return to finance proper. Things seemed fairly diverse to me, but maybe that's just an individual perception.

I do not know much yet about how recruiting works at either NYU Stern or Yale SOM but I would ask you to consider whether it's a better idea to face less competition for less full-time/internship positions, or more competition for more full-time/internship positions?

Finally, I would also encourage you to visit the Yale Club (perhaps with a member who went to Yale or Dartmouth?) and see for yourself what networking potential that place might really offer. For what it's worth, NYU (and Columbia) alumni are offered membership privileges at the Princeton Club.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 104 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling all NYU Fall '09 applicants! [#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2008, 08:08
This post received
KUDOS
Here is the recommendation form for mailing in. It's supposed to be the same as the one online so it is safe to assume that you can work using this. This is what I used for prep:

http://w4.stern.nyu.edu/emplibrary/Fall ... nce%20only)%5B1%5D.pdf

Am I really the only person on this board who has applied to Stern already? For some reason that makes me more nervous than before..
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Schools: Chicago Booth 2011
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 83 [1] , given: 1

Re: Calling all NYU Fall '09 applicants! [#permalink] New post 13 Oct 2008, 10:46
This post received
KUDOS
Just to be certain, I emailed admissions. Here's the response:

Thank you for your message. Please include post-college work experience on the Work History Form.

College work experience can be listed I guess in essay 3 if it's really significant.
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 83 [1] , given: 1

Re: Calling all NYU Fall '09 applicants! [#permalink] New post 15 Nov 2008, 08:00
This post received
KUDOS
Hey everyone, I've updated the first post (NYU Stern class profile) and would like to get a roll call going on the first thread -- see Wharton and Chicago threads for example.

If you are a moderator and are applying, please add your name to the list. If you do not have moderator priveleges, please add a post to this thread and one of the mods will add your name to the list.

Sterny, I hope you don't mind :)
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 32 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling all NYU Fall '09 applicants! [#permalink] New post 06 Dec 2008, 19:36
This post received
KUDOS
I don't live in the Palladium but if you are single and not from NYC, I think it would be great. Everything is included (heat, air, internet, etc) so it really is at a "discount" from other NYC locations but I heard it was really small. I mean so small that many of the rooms don't have closets. (Before you gasp, know that there are TONS of NYC apartments without any closet space so that isn't unusual.)

They have their own study groups and social network but it isn't necessarily like undergrad with open doors and people hanging out 24-7. I would take a look at it before you sign on because some of my female friends walked in and said "no way" and got an apartment in the Village together instead. Oh you also have a great gym so that is nice too.
1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
Schools: Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Followers: 74

Kudos [?]: 689 [1] , given: 548

Reviews Badge
Re: Calling all NYU Fall '09 applicants! [#permalink] New post 20 Dec 2008, 10:50
This post received
KUDOS
Just looked at first page roll call.

So few Stern applicants. How is that possible?

Take a Survey about GMAT Prep - Win Prizes!

1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 205 [1] , given: 22

Re: Calling all NYU Fall '09 applicants! [#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2009, 14:46
This post received
KUDOS
Here's the Summer Start "cost of attendance," as calculated by MBA Financial Aid. It seems pretty generous, most likely to allow you borrow a more than sufficient amount in loans for the summer.

Estimated Budget for Summer 2009

Tuition & Fees for 6 credits: $11,668
Room and Board: $4,321
Books and Supplies: $365
Local Travel: $162
Miscellaneous: $963
Total Budget: $17,479

Mclaughlin wrote:
wow, 17 grand!! how much can NYC cost for 6 weeks of rent!! I mean, you'd have to buy those books anyway, right? I have health insurance, so I wont need NYUs. How does that work, do you get a refund? I'm not in at NYU but still hoping for summer start! but where do the costs of $17 come in! Maybe I could bunk with my parents, ugh!
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Schools: NYU Stern 2009
Followers: 39

Kudos [?]: 219 [1] , given: 6

Re: Calling all NYU Fall '09 applicants! [#permalink] New post 06 Apr 2009, 12:01
This post received
KUDOS
Stern Follies 2009 - Sterndog Millionaire

My friends put a ridiculous amount of work into this for follies this year. Enjoy (you probably might see bits at Preterm, or other "influences" for it from the class of 2009's time here)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ml_kKmiB2TA - Part 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNO5DERVCGk - Part 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UtFrfiyNdM - Part 3

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 2

Re: Calling all NYU Fall '09 applicants! [#permalink] New post 27 Apr 2009, 16:58
This post received
KUDOS
Well, I attended both the NYU Stern admit weekend and the Yale SOM admit weekend (seemed like there were a few others who did the same from the people I met). The schools are very different, but I had a good time at both and honestly feel I can't go wrong with either; I'm finding myself quite torn and still second guessing myself somewhat. For the benefit of others in the same bind, I wrote out a list of what I felt were the pros and cons for each school:

NYU Stern Pros:
- Manhattan location means lots to do and more importantly easy access to the big banks (I'm going to try for a banking internship)
- strong reputation in finance means solid recruiting opportunities
- larger class size (about 420 to 450) means greater networking potential among classmates
- large alumni network, many of whom are in the financial services industry
- ability to take some very cool finance courses through the Courant Institute

NYU Stern Cons:
- lots of students are from New York so there's less incentive for them to mix and mingle with the class; admit weekend already felt a bit cliquy with many of the NYC folks hanging together
- many people coming from finance background; not as diverse a student body and might be nice to mix with different "types" of people (particularly given that I've been in finance for the last 6 years)
- a large chunk of the class will likely be looking to get into finance/banking which could mean stiff competition if the banks reserve just a certain number of slots for Stern interns; I'm picturing recruiting teams of 6 to 10 from the bulge brackets giving corporate presentations with 150 to 200 students lining up to try to make an impression on the bank reps

Yale SOM Pros:
- Yale is in a university town which leads to a very tight-knit student body and great community feel (originally I didn't think this was that important but it's something that struck me immediately as a positive aspect of the school when attending admit weekend); there's a great bar on campus just for Yale grad students where the law, med, and business school students mix and hang out -- if I'm going to live in NYC for a couple years after school anyway it might be nice to enjoy that kind of environment
- small class size (about 200 students per year) means you get to know literally everyone in your class quite well and everyone seems to be very supportive of one another; I got a really great vibe from the student body
- great faculty to student ratio (about 1 to 4) means excellent access to profs and intimate class sizes
- the school has taken a progressive approach to management education and redesigned the curriculum in 2006 to quite a bit of fanfare from students and recruiters (Stanford remodeled its curriculum the following year using a similar approach); given that I have a pretty strong finance background this would be an interesting way to round myself out
- the school has been on a hiring binge picking up great profs (e.g. Andrew Metrick) and a new Career Development Office manager from Wharton; the school has a massive endowment and seems committed to raising the stature of the business school
- Yale's brand and potential networking opportunities that go along with it (access to places like the Yale Club in Manhattan)

Yale SOM Cons:
- New Haven is a 1.5 to 2 hour train ride from NYC and so is somewhat removed from the action
- Yale is not considered to be a "core" finance school like Stern so some of the boutique firms that might go to Stern to recruit may not come to Yale and would therefore require more legwork to pursue and I'm also concerned that if a bulge bracket firm were to trim recruiting efforts I could see there being perhaps a proportionately larger effect at Yale relative to NYU
- Yale's MBA program is relatively new (about 30 or 35 years old) and the class size is small which means a small alumni network; that being said, we do get access to the whole Yale University alumni database (with the exception of the law school)

I think the important questions that need to be asked when making the Yale SOM / NYU Stern decision are:

1) Does NYU Stern grant a definitive recruiting advantage? A significant reason that many of us are pursuing an MBA is to land our dream job (or a job that can lead us to our dream job) coming out of school. I was originally concerned that the recruiting opportunities for banking would be significantly better at NYU. After speaking with numerous students at Yale who went through the banking recruitment process as well as alumni and the Career Development Office, it seems like the school actually does reasonably well. This year about 40 students were pursuing banking internships and about half of them converted. Not sure how that compares with the NYU IB success ratio but, from speaking with Yale students, it sounded like those who really put in the time and did the information interviews, jumped through all the hoops, etc. were successful. Some even argued that they were able to distinguish themselves more effectively than had they been in a larger class with a larger percentage of students vying for a job in IB.

2) Do I want to live in NYC and reap the benefits of a big city or do I want to live in a college town and enjoy the vibe that goes along with that? That's a personal choice that will be different for everyone. Of course there are benefits to both.

At the moment, weighing all factors, I'm leaning slightly Yale primarily due to the tight-knit feel and community vibe (silly though that may sound). I certainly wouldn't say I got the feel that Yale SOM is a "better" program than NYU Stern, just different.

Comments, especially from those making a similar decision, are most welcome.

SternFinance2011: Just curious, given your screen name, should we assume that you wound up choosing Stern for the reasons you cited?
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling all NYU Fall '09 applicants! [#permalink] New post 28 Apr 2009, 06:17
This post received
KUDOS
Hey, MBAHopeful2009, yep, had my mind set on Stern now. It's a really hard decision for me, but as you said, the main purpose of MBA is to get a job you want. I want to do banking so I went and talked with as many senior people in the field as I can. Their perspectives dictate where those banks will recruit. They all unanimously said Stern should be a more reasonable choice given my goal.

I do feel Yale has a more close knit community and feel very comfortable with it (still keep in touch with some of the Yale admits), but I went to college in a small town with many "I want to save the world type friends", I think i'd like to try something different. Indeed, NYU students may not be around on campus as much as Yale students, but that's just the real world. In the real business world, people are not forced to get together and make friends. It takes skills to bring people together and establish relationships without the help of geographical limitations. I want to hone that skill.

As far as competition is concerned, Stern is definitely a lot more competitive in finance field, however, I am aiming to get into one of the most competitive industries, so I won't mind getting ready for that while at school. Besides, standing out from competition doesn't have to come at the expense of friendship. Learning how to be competitive while winning allies and friends is critical in today's challenging business environment. I believe, Stern's environment provides such a training ground.

O, well, Yale is certainly a fantastic school, but for what I want to do, Stern somehow has the edge. But no matter where you end up, the most important thing is to take full advantage of the opportunities and resources any school can provide you.

Good luck with your decision. Believe me, it's a relief once you make up your mind.... :-D
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all NYU Fall '09 applicants! [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2008, 04:12
count me in sterny but I'm a reapplicant so I already know my essay question - how has your candidacy improved.

a kidderek edit: navy01 is not a reapp b/c she has been successfully taken off the waitlist. Woo Hoo! Congrats navy01!!!
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 83 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling all NYU Fall '09 applicants! [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2008, 04:16
I assume those are stats for Class of 2009, not Class of 2010? I'm not a Stern applicant but I have a friend who is applying there.

Edit: Whoops

Last edited by sonibubu on 17 Nov 2008, 06:39, edited 1 time in total.
Looks like I am applying to Stern!
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 104 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all NYU Fall '09 applicants! [#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2008, 06:06
sonibubu-

You are right. I still don't have the stats from last years class.

BTW - for all the 2008 applicants, couple of questions from last year-

1. What's up with Essay 3? I am contenmplating writing an essay for it as I feel I can best express myself, but is this forwned upon?

2. Which essay do you write about what classes you will take? Essay 1 or Essay 2? I guess what I am trying to ask is how did you break up your Why Stern? content between Essay 1 and Essay 2?

Any thoughts?
SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 205 [0], given: 22

Re: Calling all NYU Fall '09 applicants! [#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2008, 06:10
One school I am most certainly applying to. By far the most enthusiastic alumni of any school I have met so far.
Director
Director
Schools: Kellogg Class of 2011
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 145 [0], given: 9

Re: Calling all NYU Fall '09 applicants! [#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2008, 07:43
Round 1 deadline released as November 15th.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all NYU Fall '09 applicants! [#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2008, 16:35
Good luck everyone! I'll try to check back here often to answer questions and give pointers. Don't worry about essay 3 too much. I HATED it at first, but in the end, it was the only fun essay I had for schools. Although, I didn't write a regular essay, I made a game in powerpoint.
VP
VP
Schools: NYU Stern 2009
Followers: 39

Kudos [?]: 219 [0], given: 6

Re: Calling all NYU Fall '09 applicants! [#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2008, 18:07
Writing an essay for question 3 is fine, but a bit of a wasted opportunity. Essay 3 famously seems to swing some candidacy. I will find out a lot more as the application process goes on given my role in the class of 2009. It should be an exciting fall.

Good Luck! I will post back after my 10 week sentence of hard work is over.

SVP
SVP
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 90 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all NYU Fall '09 applicants! [#permalink] New post 13 Jul 2008, 08:11
3underscore wrote:
Essay 3 famously seems to swing some candidacy.

Do you really think that's the case?
Re: Calling all NYU Fall '09 applicants!   [#permalink] 13 Jul 2008, 08:11