Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Sep 2014, 11:47

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all NYU Fall 2010 applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Current Student
Schools: Stern '13
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 42 [0], given: 16

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all NYU Fall 2010 applicants [#permalink] New post 10 Jun 2010, 09:33
Deepauk wrote:
cwhs,
It is a little painful to be a walking cautionary tale for the fact that a great GMAT doesn't guarantee an admit anywhere. I believed my essays were good, at the time. I was especially proud of my Essay 3. But right now, I'm not sure any more. And I'm still trying to re-evaluate for next application season.

I'm sure things will work out for you, especially if your other quantitative metrics are high as well. If I were you I would re-evaluate how your stories in the essays compliment each other. Coherence is important from what I hear. Not that I am in a better place than you are in terms of acceptance into schools, so maybe I don't know either!

Like the response? Kudos it!

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Current Student
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 295

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all NYU Fall 2010 applicants [#permalink] New post 10 Jun 2010, 09:39
Deepauk wrote:
Add me to the dinged w/o interview off waitlist.

Sorry to hear that Deepauk! Hopefully the Booth waitlist will be kinder.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all NYU Fall 2010 applicants [#permalink] New post 10 Jun 2010, 10:09
Any movement from other post-interview waitlisters? I've seen dings (and people getting pulled in for interviews) for the w/o folks, but haven't heard anything about people who already had their interview.
Intern
Intern
Schools: NYU (Interviewed), Columbia (Ding), Georgetown (Interview)
WE 1: 5 yrs

Re: Calling all NYU Fall 2010 applicants [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2010, 10:15
avb212 wrote:
Any movement from other post-interview waitlisters? I've seen dings (and people getting pulled in for interviews) for the w/o folks, but haven't heard anything about people who already had their interview.

I'm in the same boat: waitlisted post-interview with no news received. I can't tell if my odds are better or worse for having already been interviewed, though I'd imagine that it's not about odds and more about profile needs at this point.

This forum will be the first to know of any changes to my status. Appreciate the updates, folks!
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling all NYU Fall 2010 applicants [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2010, 10:58
uwsmatt wrote:
avb212 wrote:

I'm in the same boat: waitlisted post-interview with no news received. I can't tell if my odds are better or worse for having already been interviewed, though I'd imagine that it's not about odds and more about profile needs at this point.

This forum will be the first to know of any changes to my status. Appreciate the updates, folks!

Likewise, though I was pulled from the waitlist to be interviewed, then put BACK on the waitlist, so I guess they didn't see whatever they were looking for in the first place. Here's hoping our respective twins decide not to attend after all...
Current Student
Schools: Stern '13
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 42 [0], given: 16

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all NYU Fall 2010 applicants [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2010, 12:15
avb212 wrote:

Likewise, though I was pulled from the waitlist to be interviewed, then put BACK on the waitlist, so I guess they didn't see whatever they were looking for in the first place. Here's hoping our respective twins decide not to attend after all...

Double waitlisted? Ouch! :shock:

I am in the opinion that the people who are interviewed then waitlisted (including myself) are in a worse position. Before I saw waitlisters who interviewed then admitted, I would say we are in a better position since our interviews are already out of the way. But now I feel as though if you've been interviewed then waitlisted, there was something wrong with the interview. I personally did not see one post where a candidate was interviewed and then denied. Maybe Stern feels like it's better to keep the candidates that have already interviewed at bay, since they've passed certain criteria, but they are at a disadvantage compared to someone who gets invited to an interview from the waitlist and completely aces the interview.

My two pennies.

Like the response? Kudos it!

Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all NYU Fall 2010 applicants [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2010, 12:18
I know smb who was denied after interview

Posted from my mobile device Image
Current Student
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 295

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all NYU Fall 2010 applicants [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2010, 12:29
Applicant1978 wrote:

@Applicant1978, can you please clarify your statement? What is smb? And that smb was waitlisted and then denied after an interview? Or was the waitlist involved at all?

@cwhs, I'd say it's pretty much random so it's impossible to speculate on who is at an advantage or a disadvantage right now.
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling all NYU Fall 2010 applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Jun 2010, 04:49
cwhs wrote:
avb212 wrote:

Double waitlisted? Ouch! :shock:

I am in the opinion that the people who are interviewed then waitlisted (including myself) are in a worse position. Before I saw waitlisters who interviewed then admitted, I would say we are in a better position since our interviews are already out of the way. But now I feel as though if you've been interviewed then waitlisted, there was something wrong with the interview. I personally did not see one post where a candidate was interviewed and then denied. Maybe Stern feels like it's better to keep the candidates that have already interviewed at bay, since they've passed certain criteria, but they are at a disadvantage compared to someone who gets invited to an interview from the waitlist and completely aces the interview.

My two pennies.

As this process doesn't really follow any pattern, there's not much to do other than blindly make guesses as to the motivations of the admissions committee. That said, I agree. I suspect pre-interview WLs are for rounding along with R3, and post-interview is for last minute quick fixes to the class later in the summer. My concern is that I can't recall post-interview WLers from previous years, either here or on BW, mentioning that they were pulled in at all. So, boo to that.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all NYU Fall 2010 applicants [#permalink] New post 13 Jun 2010, 10:07
Applicant1978 wrote:
Received a confirmation that my background check was competed and I am officially enrolled. Even though I was sure that I indicated all info in my application accurately, still feels much better))).

Hi, man.congrats on the official enrolment. Was the confirmation sent to the school's email account or the personal account? I'm still waiting for mine.
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling all NYU Fall 2010 applicants [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2010, 00:59
jx8301 wrote:
Applicant1978 wrote:
Received a confirmation that my background check was competed and I am officially enrolled. Even though I was sure that I indicated all info in my application accurately, still feels much better))).

Hi, man.congrats on the official enrolment. Was the confirmation sent to the school's email account or the personal account? I'm still waiting for mine.

To the personal email. Good luck. How long are you waiting already?
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling all NYU Fall 2010 applicants [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2010, 01:02
gkumar wrote:
Applicant1978 wrote:

@Applicant1978, can you please clarify your statement? What is smb? And that smb was waitlisted and then denied after an interview? Or was the waitlist involved at all?

@cwhs, I'd say it's pretty much random so it's impossible to speculate on who is at an advantage or a disadvantage right now.

cwhs mentioned that there were no posts about people denied after interviews. I know a couple of people (off this forum) who were interviewed and then denied, no waitlist involved.
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling all NYU Fall 2010 applicants [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2010, 06:03
Applicant1978 wrote:
jx8301 wrote:
Applicant1978 wrote:

To the personal email. Good luck. How long are you waiting already?

Thanks for the info. I'm an international admit and waited six weeks already. Really have no idea how much longer will it take.
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling all NYU Fall 2010 applicants [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2010, 07:40
jx8301, I am international as well and waited for about 6 weeks. Where are you from if I may ask?
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling all NYU Fall 2010 applicants [#permalink] New post 18 Jun 2010, 19:33
Applicant1978 wrote:
jx8301, I am international as well and waited for about 6 weeks. Where are you from if I may ask?

I'm from South East Asia. How abt you? I wonder if they send out clearance in batches.
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling all NYU Fall 2010 applicants [#permalink] New post 19 Jun 2010, 07:47
Applicant1978, just found that response was sending out through my old account when I was using my old PC. Anyways. I'm from South East Asia and still waiting.
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling all NYU Fall 2010 applicants [#permalink] New post 21 Jun 2010, 03:13
jx8301 wrote:
Applicant1978, just found that response was sending out through my old account when I was using my old PC. Anyways. I'm from South East Asia and still waiting.

I am from East Europe
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling all NYU Fall 2010 applicants [#permalink] New post 21 Jun 2010, 08:59
Does anyone know if there is a lot of interaction between the b-schools in NYC - Columbia and NYU? Like there is between Harvard and MIT?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all NYU Fall 2010 applicants [#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2010, 10:29
So quiet.....Why is there even still a waitlist at this point?
VP
VP
Schools: NYU Stern 2009
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 218 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all NYU Fall 2010 applicants [#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2010, 11:33
thomas92 wrote:
Does anyone know if there is a lot of interaction between the b-schools in NYC - Columbia and NYU? Like there is between Harvard and MIT?

There are regular mixers, sport events and stuff. Not quite like I imagine in Cambridge, as there is a lot more stuff as a whole going on in New York and 100 blocks is a long way. There are numerous initiatives that take people from both schools though - it is there if you want it, but normally the 800 / 1400 people in your school will be more than enough.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: Calling all NYU Fall 2010 applicants   [#permalink] 22 Jun 2010, 11:33