Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 04:03

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all NYU Fall 2010 applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Current Student
Schools: Wharton!!! Stern Columbia HBS
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 42 [0], given: 6

Re: Calling all NYU Fall 2010 applicants [#permalink] New post 10 Nov 2009, 11:19
in for R1, in final proofread stage.

good luck!
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 2

Re: Calling all NYU Fall 2010 applicants [#permalink] New post 11 Nov 2009, 09:14
Long time listener, first time caller....

Just wanted to see what everyone else has thought about the NYU culture/students/adcom/etc. I went to an info session 2 weeks ago and was really turned off by the adcom speaker and the students.

The adcom speaker seemed to kind of feel like the school's reputation should speak for itself and wasn't really "selling" the school like I've seen at other info sessions. He kept saying "______ then maybe NYU isn't the school for you."

The students seemed really nervous to speak in front of the group and seemed a little socially awkward. Also, the jobs they took after NYU were not very impressive (I know 2009 was a tough year).

Just my take. It was actually enough for me to push NYU to round 2 so I could focus on my Fuqua application.

Thoughts?? :band
Manager
Manager
Schools: HBS, Sloan, Columbia, Stern, Tuck
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all NYU Fall 2010 applicants [#permalink] New post 11 Nov 2009, 09:22
i really liked the nyu culture. it seems pretty laid back and i got the impression that you can really define your own mba experience (ie, focus on academics or job search, clubs or company info sessions, etc). i wouldn't think too much about the adcom people themselves because its all a marketing ploy anyway, maybe he was just being realistic for a change.

the reputation job-wise is that stern is amazing for nyc finance jobs. something like 50% of the class goes for finance after graduation. if your goal is to switch into/continue finance and you want to get an Associate job at a top bank post-mba its apparently one of the better schools for that path.

i have also heard/read that its not as good for the elite finance jobs like PE/VC/hedge-fund and can't compete with HBS/Wharton/Stanford in that area. Consulting is allegedly weaker than the other top schools, and those recruiters prefer Columbia within NYC.

my gmat review:
gmat-review-770-q50-v44-86800.html

MBA charts:
http://mbacharts.appspot.com/

Manager
Manager

Re: Calling all NYU Fall 2010 applicants [#permalink] New post 11 Nov 2009, 09:29
btw the above is pure hearsay. i am not a current student, a recruiter, or anything so use at your own risk :)

my gmat review:

MBA charts:

Director
Director
Affiliations: Consortium (CGSM.org), NSHMBA
Schools: Yale SOM Class of 2012
WE 1: Investment Banking Summer Associate (Boutique tech M&A)
Followers: 39

Kudos [?]: 217 [0], given: 113

Reviews Badge
Re: Calling all NYU Fall 2010 applicants [#permalink] New post 11 Nov 2009, 16:05
go2bizSkool wrote:
i really liked the nyu culture. it seems pretty laid back and i got the impression that you can really define your own mba experience (ie, focus on academics or job search, clubs or company info sessions, etc). i wouldn't think too much about the adcom people themselves because its all a marketing ploy anyway, maybe he was just being realistic for a change.

the reputation job-wise is that stern is amazing for nyc finance jobs. something like 50% of the class goes for finance after graduation. if your goal is to switch into/continue finance and you want to get an Associate job at a top bank post-mba its apparently one of the better schools for that path.

i have also heard/read that its not as good for the elite finance jobs like PE/VC/hedge-fund and can't compete with HBS/Wharton/Stanford in that area. Consulting is allegedly weaker than the other top schools, and those recruiters prefer Columbia within NYC.

i agree with most of what you posted. the first paragraph at least is the same impression i got after visiting the school a few weeks ago.

GMAT Debrief

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Current Student
Schools: UCLA Anderson

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling all NYU Fall 2010 applicants [#permalink] New post 11 Nov 2009, 16:32
I agree with the last two posters. I did the class visit, coffee break, and info session/tour a couple weeks ago and thought everyone I met seemed really friendly, helpful and down to earth actually. Maybe kiki just didn't have a good speaker leading the session, but probably isn't representative of the program as a whole.
Intern
Intern
Schools: Kellogg R1, HBS R2, Wharton R2, Columbia RD, Stern R1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling all NYU Fall 2010 applicants [#permalink] New post 11 Nov 2009, 20:24
Does NYU need us to send the official GMAT score via mba.com? I've self reported it in the application and don't see anything about the official score anywhere...
Manager
Manager

Re: Calling all NYU Fall 2010 applicants [#permalink] New post 11 Nov 2009, 20:37
almost surely, or else people would just lie about their scores :lol:

my gmat review:

MBA charts:

Current Student
Schools: Georgetown '12

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all NYU Fall 2010 applicants [#permalink] New post 11 Nov 2009, 23:21
Deepauk wrote:
Same here only I was doing it in word.

I just realized that if you are doing a Portfolio on PPT for your essay 3 you cant submit it online anyway (unless of course you somehow get it under 500KB). Looks like I am going to have to print and mail out my Essay 3 portfolio. Are there any other international applicants on this forum? I want to know what level of detail the International student supplement needs to be.

Can you share the link where Stern specifies the 500KB size limit ? I couldnt find anything in the online app instructions.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 5

Re: Calling all NYU Fall 2010 applicants [#permalink] New post 11 Nov 2009, 23:54
vishwa wrote:
Can you share the link where Stern specifies the 500KB size limit ? I couldnt find anything in the online app instructions.

Stern uses the same web application system as Kellogg and HBS and the file size limit on that is 500KB. Plus I tried uploading a pdf of my Photographs and it wouldn't even accept those.

I am fairly sure the only thing you can submit online for essay 3 is a creative writing piece. I'd love it if I was wrong, would make life a lot simpler.
Manager
Manager
Schools: Booth (admitted R1), NYU (interview Mar 4), UT (withdrawn), Rice (admitted R2) plus dings at HBS, Stanford, Wharton and CBS
WE 1: Oil and gas
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 6

Re: Calling all NYU Fall 2010 applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Nov 2009, 01:20
does everyone do photos for Q3? have read so many comments here and elsewhere by people making photo albums.

I did the same thing too.

If I said something intelligent, it was probably by accident. But click "kudos" anyway - it will make me happy.

Manager
Manager

Re: Calling all NYU Fall 2010 applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Nov 2009, 01:43
britguy wrote:
does everyone do photos for Q3?

Yup I've heard the same. Fortunately or unfortunately everyone with a Nikon D80 thinks he/she is Ansel Adams or Margaret Bourke White (myself included). I think the way to stand out is to show how they relate to who you are.
Manager
Manager
Schools: Booth (admitted R1), NYU (interview Mar 4), UT (withdrawn), Rice (admitted R2) plus dings at HBS, Stanford, Wharton and CBS

Re: Calling all NYU Fall 2010 applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Nov 2009, 01:53
Mines only a D40x...

I feel inadequate!

If I said something intelligent, it was probably by accident. But click "kudos" anyway - it will make me happy.

Manager
Manager

Re: Calling all NYU Fall 2010 applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Nov 2009, 01:56
britguy wrote:
Mines only a D40x...

I feel inadequate!
Well lets not get into a 'lens' fight. This isn't exactly Tisch we are applying to. :P (Though I will confess I did think about it).
Retired Moderator
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 76 [0], given: 5

Re: Calling all NYU Fall 2010 applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Nov 2009, 07:32
I'm looking to reach out to one of the ambassadors to get more information on NYU.

http://w4.stern.nyu.edu/admissions/full ... oc_id=4958

But all the emails go to one generic box. Should I say I want to speak with a certain person?

Thanks.
Manager
Manager

Re: Calling all NYU Fall 2010 applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Nov 2009, 07:42
Just say "hi XXX,..." then ask your question - might work.

Manager
Manager

Re: Calling all NYU Fall 2010 applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Nov 2009, 07:43
bigfernhead wrote:
Should I say I want to speak with a certain person?

You should probably address the student ambassador with the profile most resembling yours/ one that you hope to pursue at Stern. I've found that it helps with the email drafting.
Manager
Manager

Re: Calling all NYU Fall 2010 applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Nov 2009, 07:44
at the info session they said the vast majority of #3 responses are still narrative essays. they also advised to play it safe unless you are actually a creative person and write an essay. i will personally be doing something a little creative but still writing-based, just no essay.

apparently someone once sent a door that said "let me in" so the adcom started with the size limits.

my gmat review:

MBA charts:

Current Student
Schools: UCLA Anderson

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling all NYU Fall 2010 applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Nov 2009, 07:47
Deepauk wrote:
bigfernhead wrote:
Should I say I want to speak with a certain person?

You should probably address the student ambassador with the profile most resembling yours/ one that you hope to pursue at Stern. I've found that it helps with the email drafting.

At our info session our tour guides said that if we wanted to get in touch with them specifically, just to email the generic email address but put their names in the subject line to speed up the process.

I did write to them, but I think I just did the "Hi xxxxx and xxxx" approach instead of changing the subject line and one of them got back to me a couple days later.
Manager
Manager

Re: Calling all NYU Fall 2010 applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Nov 2009, 07:53
Whoever sent the door is a genius.

But I'm guessing they got dinged...!

Re: Calling all NYU Fall 2010 applicants   [#permalink] 12 Nov 2009, 07:53