Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Sep 2014, 01:46

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all NYU Fall 2010 applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling all NYU Fall 2010 applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2010, 15:33
This post received
KUDOS
Got an interview invite this morning.

31/ M / International / 720 / 3.7 / Financial
Submitted right before the deadline for R2

I have a question here.
Is it safe to schedule the interview later this month? Or is it better to have the interview as early as possible? It looks I can choose between 9 and 31 of March.

Last edited by englism on 04 Mar 2010, 15:53, edited 1 time in total.
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Schools: NYU Stern 2009
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 218 [1] , given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all NYU Fall 2010 applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2010, 15:38
This post received
KUDOS
Ok. I will try the words of support and wisdom.

There is no logic that a business school student, nor prospective, can prescribe to the way that an application runs through the Admission process. For example, I give my case - I interviewed late March, was awarded scholarships and fellowships during my study, graduated with the highest general distinction in my class.

Your smarts and timing don't influence things. The turnaround of your response, or your interview timing, behaves as a random variable from your ability in many ways. It goes as it does, but a department of full time NYU staff deal with every last part of it. It could happen quicker bringing people in when it is busy, but they want control over it all.

Years back now, but I think it took weeks for my response. I know it is a protracted horrible wait, and I know that knowing some folk get turned round in 7 days makes people feel worse. Sometimes more information is your downfall. This is one. Reasons why candidate A was accelerated relative to candidate B does not capture how much time was spent discussing and debating either. They can move quickly for many reasons, possibly factors read in the interview (I am speculating, but I know for fact the people involved care and pay a lot of attention to individual factors).

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 8 [1] , given: 3

Re: Calling all NYU Fall 2010 applicants [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2010, 00:41
This post received
KUDOS
papito wrote:
I was waitlisted in R1 but was very surprised to receive an email today telling me I'm invited to interview as part of a special interview day for the NYU Stern Summer Start program on Mar 25 in NYC.

Did anyone else get this email?

No, but I am dying to get into summer start. That's definitely a good sign!! Did you by any chance have somewhat of a weak quant score on your GMAT or lack quantitative coursework? Because summer start I believe is typically for people who either A) could benefit from the additional quant coursework (which is probably where I fall) or B) demonstrate strong leadership skills who I guess are being "groomed" to take on a more active role at Stern and beyond in their careers.
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all NYU Fall 2010 applicants [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2010, 07:25
This post received
KUDOS
chmny3 wrote:
Because summer start I believe is typically for people who either A) could benefit from the additional quant coursework (which is probably where I fall) or B) demonstrate strong leadership skills who I guess are being "groomed" to take on a more active role at Stern and beyond in their careers.

The consistent appearance of the "weak quant" claim really does a dis-service to summer start. I think it is more background based, and the leadership element is certainly true. I have been responsible for "short bus" comments myself, mostly directed as Solaris1 who was a summer starter himself (you have to know how to push people's buttons).

Look at the evidence of what Summer Start does. It has a Quant class and lots of leadership classes. The Quant class is the same Stats class as others take - all it does provide is that it is completed in advance of Accounting and Finance. This really plays to the unconventional background - it gives an assurance on the numbers to carry through to the classes. Hence there are a lot of Military and other non-math background folk in Summer Start.

The leadership side is the real powerhouse. I think the last five Presidents of the Student body have been Summer Start, alongside a huge volume of the committee.

The final bit it does is to free up a class each semester for recruiting and such involvements - for people making a large switch, this time to build contacts is very valuable.

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Michigan - Ross Class of 2012
WE 1: Marketing within Financial Services
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 24 [1] , given: 9

Re: Calling all NYU Fall 2010 applicants [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2010, 20:23
This post received
KUDOS
In at Stern! Interviewed on 2/20, received email 3/5 at 5pm.

Detailed Profile with Interviews/Dings/Admits: Go Here

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Wharton Class of 2012 w/ fellowship
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 56 [1] , given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all NYU Fall 2010 applicants [#permalink] New post 06 Mar 2010, 16:21
This post received
KUDOS
admitted to stern 3/5

My story of an average chick who stumbled into the 700+ club
700-clubbers-add-your-name-to-the-list-64636-100.html#p600519
My 2009-2010 Application Decisions
2010-profiles-w-admit-dings-results-no-discussion-78475.html?view-post=600694#p600694

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: USC(CGSM), NYU(Int), Texas(CGSM), Ross(CGSM), LBS(Int), Kellogg(Int,JDMBA)

Kudos [?]: 10 [1] , given: 14

Re: Calling all NYU Fall 2010 applicants [#permalink] New post 09 Mar 2010, 10:32
This post received
KUDOS
Just received an interview for Summer Start on 3/25. I applied 1/15 so there is still hope!
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: Stern

Kudos [?]: 3 [1] , given: 2

Re: Calling all NYU Fall 2010 applicants [#permalink] New post 09 Mar 2010, 10:43
This post received
KUDOS
just as an update... applied R1 (submitted in October) and still on waitlist w/o interview. going to send them a letter stating that i'm still interested once i get a scheduled promotion later this month.

i applied solely to NYU this year and in a way i am happy that i did. if i had applied to other schools and gotten in elsewhere i would not have been able to stay on the waitlist. if i get in, great. if not, next year's apps are right around the corner. trying to be optimistic 8-)
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Affiliations: Consortium (CGSM.org), NSHMBA
Schools: Yale SOM Class of 2012
WE 1: Investment Banking Summer Associate (Boutique tech M&A)
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 215 [1] , given: 111

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Calling all NYU Fall 2010 applicants [#permalink] New post 10 Mar 2010, 11:01
This post received
KUDOS
hey guys - to all who are interested, we're doing a meet and greet for gmat club applicants in NYC this friday, 6pm, near penn station. details can be found in the stickied thread here: nyc-meet-up-for-mba-applicants-fri-3-12-6pm-stout-nyc-90700.html

GMAT Debrief

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Wharton, Chicago, Columbia, NYU, Harvard, Stanford
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 101 [1] , given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all NYU Fall 2010 applicants [#permalink] New post 10 Mar 2010, 11:35
This post received
KUDOS
Hooray! Accepted to Stern as of ten minutes ago!
Interview: 3/1
Accepted!: 3/10

For the curiouser, my profile here.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: NYU Stern '12
WE 1: Business Development
WE 2: Superhero- shhhhhh

Kudos [?]: 16 [1] , given: 10

Re: Calling all NYU Fall 2010 applicants [#permalink] New post 10 Mar 2010, 12:11
This post received
KUDOS
Totally understandable ... wow!
As I was typing this response, my computer gave me the email beep. First thought was great, another work/spam email that gets my hopes up for no reason. Second thought was how ironic it would be that i get an acceptance email as i congratulate someone.

Low and behold, it was an email from Stern letting me know that I am in! Pretty sure I will need vocal cord surgery after the scream i let out. Also, i might have given my coworkers mild heart attacks.

After school visits, I was undecided between NYU and Kellogg as they were my #1 and #1a, not sure in what order. My decision was made for me today (ding from Kellogg). Looks like I am going to be a Sternie!

Aenigma wrote:
mustafaj wrote:
Congrats Aenigma! If I am not mistaken you got into Columbia as well. Which direction are you leaning ?

Thanks, mustafaj! You're right, I just found out about Columbia the day before yesterday -- I feel very fortunate! They're both great schools with similar strengths in the areas that interest me. I'm still waiting on a couple more schools, about which I feel admittedly less confident, so I'm holding off on making judgments until the end of the month. Just basking in the glow for now.

That said, some serious scholarship offers would not go amiss.

"Any school that meets you and still lets you in is not a good enough school to go to" - my mom upon hearing i got in
Thanks mom.

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Booth-Class of 2012

Kudos [?]: 18 [1] , given: 2

Re: Calling all NYU Fall 2010 applicants [#permalink] New post 10 Mar 2010, 12:20
This post received
KUDOS
Aenigma wrote:
Hooray! Accepted to Stern as of ten minutes ago!
Interview: 3/1
Accepted!: 3/10

For the curiouser, my profile here.

Congrats Aenigma! when I saw your post went to check my status and saw that I was accepted as well! My email came 10 minutes later. I interviewed on 22nd Feb, so it has been a loooong wait for me and was losing hope, but the wait did pay out at the end!
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: HBS, Booth, Stern, Kellogg

Kudos [?]: 19 [1] , given: 3

Re: Calling all NYU Fall 2010 applicants [#permalink] New post 11 Mar 2010, 07:06
This post received
KUDOS
Congrats to all you accepted people ... I just had my interview this Tuesday, got my fingers crossed. I got asked what my backup plan was if consulting after MBA doesn't work out ... um, hello, I am more concerned with a backup plan for if I don't get accepted into an MBA program!!! Stupid question.

Bonus - free t-shirt. :P
1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
Schools: NYU Stern '11
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 205 [1] , given: 22

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all NYU Fall 2010 applicants [#permalink] New post 11 Mar 2010, 15:10
This post received
KUDOS
First, congratulations to everyone who's already been admitted! As you make your final decisions on where to go, I can't encourage you enough to make sure you consider quality-of-life and your fit with your future peer group as you debate the merits of matriculating at school X versus school Y.

I'm not going to say Stern is the right school for EVERYONE, but it is definitely offers excellent excellent (albeit not perfect) experience for a certain kind of individual. I have certainly never (not yet) rued my decision to come here and could not have asked for more in the colleagues and friends that are a part of my class.

One other thing to think about: how successfully you leverage your MBA into an awesome career is more often a function of the effort you put in, and not necessarily an institution's perceived "prestige" or the resources it makes available to students in business school. So make sure you go to a place where you will be happy to spend probably two of the most eventful years of your life.

Second, to those who are still waiting, don't despair. You never know what the next couple of days might bring. Keep the faith.

Aenigma wrote:
sartorial resplendence

And just how the heck did you crack my GMATClub password, Aenigma!
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: NYU Stern '12
WE 1: Business Development
WE 2: Superhero- shhhhhh

Kudos [?]: 16 [1] , given: 10

Re: Calling all NYU Fall 2010 applicants [#permalink] New post 11 Mar 2010, 16:51
This post received
KUDOS
For current students: how important was the preview weekend? Its going to be tough for me to make it, but I can wiggle my way out of current commitments if it is really important. Any thoughts?

"Any school that meets you and still lets you in is not a good enough school to go to" - my mom upon hearing i got in
Thanks mom.

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Alpha Phi Omega, Golden Key, Phi Kappa Phi
Schools: Ross (CGSM), Maryland, Columbia, CGSM: Stern, Darden, Cornell
WE 1: Software/Product Dev (3 yrs)
WE 2: Patent Drafting/Prosecution (1 yr)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [1] , given: 5

Re: Calling all NYU Fall 2010 applicants [#permalink] New post 11 Mar 2010, 19:25
This post received
KUDOS
Hello all,

Congratulations to all the Class of 2012 admitted students!

This is my first time posting in this thread, so for roll call purposes, here is my Stern application timeline:

1/5 - Applied R2 through CGSM (January 5th)
1/25 - Received invitation to interview
2/20 - Interviewed at Stern Perspectives weekend
3/5 - Received admissions decision via email (offered admission :-D) - email specified that any financial offers would be included in my official admissions packet
3/11 - Received admissions packet

I particularly wanted to post since I haven't seen anyone else say they received their admissions packet, so if you have been admitted and are waiting to see if Stern is making you a financial offer, the packet is on its way!

Cheers!

I'm officially a Terperine!

1 KUDOS received
VP
VP

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all NYU Fall 2010 applicants [#permalink] New post 14 Mar 2010, 16:29
This post received
KUDOS
dpak wrote:
does any1 have ideas about the r3 iw invites and how many people does stern generally take in R3?

Unfortunately noone outside of the people involved have those kind of numbers.

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: Haas (R1) HBS (R2) Yale SOM (R2) Tuck (R2)

Kudos [?]: 4 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling all NYU Fall 2010 applicants [#permalink] New post 14 Mar 2010, 22:21
This post received
KUDOS
I just stepped off a week long Caribbean cruise to a lovely admit email from Stern today! The email actually arrived on 3/10, I applied 1/15 and interviewed 3/4. Good luck to all those still waiting to hear back!
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all NYU Fall 2010 applicants [#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2010, 11:15
This post received
KUDOS
impactisnotaverb wrote:
Hi all,

Question about the Summer Start Interview Day on 3/25: Anyone know if the mock class and round table are considered by the adcom in its decisions? Or is the adcom only concerned with the interview (i.e., the other activities are for the benefit of the applicants)?

My assumption is that only the interview counts -- seems to me that it would be difficult to track and incorporate feedback from other portions of the day -- but wanted to float the thought to others for feedback.

If no one knows, I'll call the admission's office to gather info and will post what I find.

The class is not assessed - the main is the interview, the rest is to get a feel and a vibe of how things are. It is a fun day. When I say "not assessed" I don't mean that you can drop F-bombs to other people there, Flip off the Professor and things. I am sure if you make a good impression in the class people will notice - whether it makes a difference or not, who is to say. Similarly, a bad impression can be made at any time during the day also. But sitting in class and just listening - that's fine.

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: USC(CGSM), NYU(Int), Texas(CGSM), Ross(CGSM), LBS(Int), Kellogg(Int,JDMBA)

Kudos [?]: 10 [1] , given: 14

Re: Calling all NYU Fall 2010 applicants [#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2010, 18:38
This post received
KUDOS
Well, that's a pretty cookie-cutter profile you got there for many top schools. I'm no authority, but I hear in later rounds GMAT/GPA matter more, as adcoms are less likely to take chances on people with sketchy stats, such as yours truly. Assuming you have a high GMAT that would give you a better shot, but being from an overrepresented demographic may make things a little more difficult in R3. My revised percentage is 14.796327% assuming you have a 750 GMAT and 6.132587% assuming a 650 GMAT. ;)
Re: Calling all NYU Fall 2010 applicants   [#permalink] 15 Mar 2010, 18:38