Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 10:46

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all NYU Fall 2010 applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
Schools: NYU Stern '11
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 205 [1] , given: 22

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all NYU Fall 2010 applicants [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2009, 19:16
This post received
KUDOS
There ARE people with lower GMAT Math scaled scores in this year's new class, just as there are also people who scored less than a 4.0 on their GMAT AWA.

My own GMAT math scaled score is now well below the 80th percentile (I was also a liberal arts major) and while I opted to take the math prep offered to the incoming class, I've had had no indication thus far that my preparedness to deal with MBA quant is somehow considered "inferior."

You're worrying over something quite inconsequential in the grander scheme of things.

MMtrader wrote:
I think I'm going to take Calc 1 @ Hunter. Hopefully getting an A in that will show both my capacity to be successful academically and my ability to work well with quantitative material.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: Stern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [1] , given: 2

Re: Calling all NYU Fall 2010 applicants [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2009, 19:41
This post received
KUDOS
solaris1 wrote:
There ARE people with lower GMAT Math scaled scores in this year's new class, just as there are also people who scored less than a 4.0 on their GMAT AWA.

You're worrying over something quite inconsequential in the grander scheme of things.

I'm not taking the calc1 class to compensate for a bad quant score on the GMAT. I'm taking it to compensate for a 2.95 UG GPA :P It'll be good ammo for the 4th essay.
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Schools: NYU Stern 2009
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 218 [1] , given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all NYU Fall 2010 applicants [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2009, 07:29
This post received
KUDOS
That is some pop in the GMAT. Less women as well. I knew your class would suck...

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all NYU Fall 2010 applicants [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2009, 13:59
This post received
KUDOS
Pop quiz: Frame a sentence with the words "quality" and "quantity" both in it.

3underscore wrote:
Less women as well. I knew your class would suck...
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all NYU Fall 2010 applicants [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2009, 14:09
This post received
KUDOS
It is not about quantity when they are all poor quality?

1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all NYU Fall 2010 applicants [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2009, 17:15
This post received
KUDOS
Ha, no rivalries billyjeans. I'm just messing around with 3underscore who's rather jealous of our new, quite fabulous MBA1 class.

What numbers are insanely high, specifically? The average GMAT for last year's incoming class was 708 and the corresponding average GPA was 3.4. These numbers this year are 717 and 3.5, respectively. Just a bit higher.

And yes, as 3underscore pointed out - the incoming class as it stands right now is younger and less diverse than it was last year.

I am also willing to bet that there will be a bunch of other schools whose selectivity will stay unchanged in comparison to the 2008 admissions year. So much for this being a hyper-competitive year to get in to business school! IHateTheGMAT and I totally predicted this. :wink:

billyjeans wrote:
You two are some kind rivalry. Those number are insanely high, Solaris, compared to what books says on any previous year. This is interesting.

Back to cramming for my stats midterm. :(
1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all NYU Fall 2010 applicants [#permalink] New post 26 Jul 2009, 15:31
This post received
KUDOS
If you are not familiar with New York and don't have an existing social network here already, don't even think about NOT living within walking distance of Stern.

I live 20 minutes away, and sort of regret not being closer. On-campus housing at the Palladium is expensive (but reasonable given the location), but involves minimum hassle and provides you with some leeway to seek a summer internship outside of New York.

There are only a handful of new students here so far that live in neighbourhoods more than 20 minutes away and these are people who've chosen to stay on in apartments they've spent considerable time living in already, students with significant others, or students who simply didn't know better and are already regretting signing long-term leases.

It's easy to find roommates however, and you will have plenty of time to worry about this later on in the admissions cycle. As a general guideline, it's best to stay a couple of hundred dollars below the housing allowance built into Stern's cost of attendance calculation.

Class2012 wrote:
Never been to NY but I know people spend a lot of time on commute.

Do Stern students live close by the univ? I looked at the on-campus housing and the rents appear too costly compared to what I'm paying now.
1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
Schools: Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Followers: 71

Kudos [?]: 685 [1] , given: 548

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Calling all NYU Fall 2010 applicants [#permalink] New post 26 Jul 2009, 17:36
This post received
KUDOS
solaris1 wrote:

I live 20 minutes away, and sort of regret not being closer. On-campus housing at the Palladium is expensive (but reasonable given the location), but involves minimum hassle and provides you with some leeway to seek a summer internship outside of New York.

That's what happens when you don't take my advice! :lol:

1 KUDOS received
VP
VP

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all NYU Fall 2010 applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2009, 08:53
This post received
KUDOS
haha. I can't believe that within three weeks of starting solaris is prepared to admit that he should have lived where we told him.

There is no rivalry billyjeans - I know a huge number of people in the new class. Or more, a huge number of them know me, and I pretend I remember them.

1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all NYU Fall 2010 applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2009, 10:56
This post received
KUDOS
Oh he remembers everyone alright. And precisely who wore what when, too.

3underscore wrote:
Or more, a huge number of them know me, and I pretend I remember them.
1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all NYU Fall 2010 applicants [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2009, 12:39
This post received
KUDOS
Newsflash: Stern will be accepting GRE scores in lieu of the GMAT beginning with this admissions cycle.

http://w4.stern.nyu.edu/news/news.cfm?doc_id=101687
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all NYU Fall 2010 applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2009, 08:56
This post received
KUDOS
Class2012 wrote:
Do Stern students live close by the univ? I looked at the on-campus housing and the rents appear too costly compared to what I'm paying now.

Class2012 - sadly, this can only be approached by saying "welcome to NYC rent". I think that the school dorm building is actually pretty reasonably priced, given that - in essence - it is a free utility and broadband doorman building with gym. The rooms are small, and personally I chose to go private.

The Stuy Town things are overpriced IMHO, but that is the property company that owns the buildings fault, not NYU's.

I recommend living near to school as it makes life easier, but living a short subway away is pretty common and hardly disruptive to life on campus. Living in the dorm does make a lot of friends easily though.

1 KUDOS received
VP
VP

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all NYU Fall 2010 applicants [#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2009, 09:50
This post received
KUDOS
Relative to Stuy town, I saved a fortune. I got a pretty average deal for an apartment in the East Village - my 1 bed is probably a little more expensive than the school dorm when utilities and cable are included, but it isn't much.

I doubt you would get far bargaining for a rent decrease from NYU as well, but it works with landlords.

If you are international, it is virtually a certainty you will have to live in either NYU accommodation, some form of sublet or in Jersey. The need for a FICO score to get a place in NYC is critical, and you may need to put down a huge deposit if you don't have a guarantor (and they have to be in NY state as well, because they are crazy like that).

School accommodation saves a lot of hassle, but is at a little bit of a premium as a result.

1 KUDOS received
VP
VP

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all NYU Fall 2010 applicants [#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2009, 08:43
This post received
KUDOS
Funny. I have a 1 bed for less than MMTrader's estimate for a tiny studio. Rents in NYC get blown out of all proportion, as you can spend $6000/month on a studio, and $2000 on a two bed. Obviously, there is a big difference in sq ft, the quality and the locale...

I know most people seem to end in the $1000-$1600 for a room in an apartment range. I think they are a bit crazy at the upper end of this, but it is their money. Depends what you need (and some people think they need a lot of things that they don't at Business School).

1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all NYU Fall 2010 applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Oct 2009, 15:01
This post received
KUDOS
The Admissions Office recommends putting in only your post-graduate experience on the Work History form, but if there is other work experience that you feel may add value to your overall application, feel free to put it on there. I did so too last year.

NickTW wrote:
Quick question for other NYU Applicants - for the downloaded "Work History Form" - are you putting in ALL work experience, as the prompt seems to specify, or just all relevant, post-graduate experience, as most other schools seem to be looking for?

Thanks,
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling all NYU Fall 2010 applicants [#permalink] New post 28 Oct 2009, 20:46
This post received
KUDOS
submitted!!!!! and now i wait!!!!
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Wharton!!! Stern Columbia HBS
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 42 [1] , given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all NYU Fall 2010 applicants [#permalink] New post 13 Nov 2009, 10:50
This post received
KUDOS
I just called the Adm. office and they said ONLY if it's being brought in person does it need to be in their hands by 9 am Monday morning. If you're sending it by mail it just has to be postmarked by 11/15.

Also--app is submitted and 100% complete (pending the arrival of my essay #3 in the mail) as of last night! so excited to have this one done!! good luck to everyone!!

I would LOVE to hear from Stern before Christmas regarding interview invite--that would make me SO happy going into the holidays. Looks like that's not the norm, but it would be amazing. Fingers crossed...
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all NYU Fall 2010 applicants [#permalink] New post 13 Nov 2009, 17:11
This post received
KUDOS
Size limits came from people sending huge things that the school needs to keep records of.

Different schools provide different access options to careers - no school will get you in to PE, period. VC opportunities Stanford or Harvard are good for, Harvard has the lock historically on a bunch of HF because they are alum, but still that is an outside bet I think. That said, I know NYU grads from the past two years in PE, HF and VC - it is about you and what you do, not simply the school.

Write an essay for essay 3 if that is what suits you best. Around half all students write essays - it doesn't have to be a mission. I think a powerpoint screams "chicago" now (just field research should show that) and I would be confident the Adcom are tuned in to that.

Keep in mind that the students doing tours have only been doing them alone for a few weeks, and a crowd heading in to 1st round is intimidating to anyone after a day of classes. Some people may find it easy, some may think they will and find they can't, and for some it is sheer torture. They really try to be honest about the school and are being realistic in that schools aren't for everyone and cost $250 each to apply to. I could tell everyone they should go to NYU as it was right for me, but I have never consumed enough purple kool-aid to think that means it is the case for everyone.

1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
Schools: Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Followers: 71

Kudos [?]: 685 [1] , given: 548

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Calling all NYU Fall 2010 applicants [#permalink] New post 18 Nov 2009, 06:02
This post received
KUDOS
xlick wrote:
Thanks Undy for the great info. I might need to hit you up later for more... :wink:
FYI, I receive that status email on 11/12.

Ummm…3underscore = Undy?

:?

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Columbia(RD-ding w/o int),
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling all NYU Fall 2010 applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Nov 2009, 13:18
This post received
KUDOS
Not sure if you all read this: mbaMission's exclusive interview with Isser Gallogly

http://www.manhattangmat.com/gmatters-090923.cfm

http://www.manhattangmat.com/gmatters-091008.cfm
Re: Calling all NYU Fall 2010 applicants   [#permalink] 20 Nov 2009, 13:18