Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 07:46

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all NYU Fall 2010 applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Retired Moderator
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 77 [0], given: 5

Re: Calling all NYU Fall 2010 applicants [#permalink] New post 08 Jul 2009, 09:37
put me down please!
SVP
SVP
Schools: NYU Stern '11
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 205 [0], given: 22

Re: Calling all NYU Fall 2010 applicants [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2009, 09:26
It's probably one of three most commonly occurring submissions to essay #3 on the application.

xlick wrote:
I already have my essay 3 planned since March. It is going to be a photo collage. Are they common for this type of essay?
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Schools: NYU Stern 2009
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 219 [1] , given: 6

Re: Calling all NYU Fall 2010 applicants [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2009, 09:54
This post received
KUDOS
Solaris is probably right, but don't let that put you off doing it that way. Collages and stuff like that can work really well (I did one I remember), especially when you are lacking a really good idea. Same as Magazine articles about yourself and stuff.

The best ones I know of are two good friends of mine. One did a set of comic book style gaming cards with images of him and special skills (like - BBQ chef, bmx, punk rock guitarist). Another sent in a copy of an old school newspaper from when he was at college, highlighting an article, by him, saying how Business School was a complete waste of time and money. Next to it he just wrote something like "how time, maturity and understanding can change your mind!".

I think the element that shows through on essay 3 is if you are having fun doing it. It shouldn't be a ritual. I know people who did poetry, sent fabrics (and explained in an essay)... I am old enough that we could still send in some stuff that is now banned - my friend sent in some home brew with tasting notes.

You have a lot of time to work on this right now, so let your mind run. If you leave it late, you might not do quite what you could or might wanted - I know I had to cut back, but then I built and posted mine on Jan 15, the R2 deadline (I had also only sat the GMAT 2 weeks before for the only time. Not an ideal candidate from the applications side of things!).

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Schools: Columbia Business School, NYU
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling all NYU Fall 2010 applicants [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2009, 11:07
Great! Thanks guys. Mine is going to show many aspects that are importatnt to bschool: leadership skills, team building, but most important of all, FUN! I don't really want to give it away right now, but I personally think it'll come out well.

A New Yorker's MBA Journey Yo!
http://xlick.blogspot.com/

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: NYU STERN
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 6 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling all NYU Fall 2010 applicants [#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2009, 17:13
This post received
KUDOS
I personally used photos in Essay 3 but really told my story. You need to make it personal - just throwing down a bunch of photos wont do it but I am sure you have a great idea in mind! To be honest, I used to work for a very well known craft GURU if you catch my drift (she has many a book, magazine and relevant products) - For me the photo idea worked well because I had helped launch a kodak line for her and took a very "crafty" approach - but it clearly tied in with who I am. I know some others that build websites about themselves etc. I couldn't bare to write another essay so I definitely used minimal words!

For essay #3, listen to Stern's idea podcast - applicants have gone as far as making stuffed animals talk to get their point across!
Current Student
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 21

Re: Calling all NYU Fall 2010 applicants [#permalink] New post 17 Jul 2009, 06:08
Does anyone have a copy of Stern's last year's recommendation form?
Current Student
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 21

Re: Calling all NYU Fall 2010 applicants [#permalink] New post 17 Jul 2009, 06:16
Class2012 wrote:
Does anyone have a copy of Stern's last year's recommendation form?

I found it in last year's thread.
http://w4.stern.nyu.edu/emplibrary/Fall ... nce%20only)%5B1%5D.pdf
Intern
Intern
Schools: Stern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 2

Re: Calling all NYU Fall 2010 applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Jul 2009, 11:57
will be applying R1 from NYC. Ughhh aside from the essays I have to consider studying for and retaking the GMAT.. 75th percentile quant and 2.95 UG GPA from a real non-target are going to be serious obstacles to overcome.

on the flipside, my grandmother's dead husband went to stern, so i'm... sort of a legacy? heh.
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 219 [0], given: 6

Re: Calling all NYU Fall 2010 applicants [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2009, 09:46
Not sure you should be overly worried about any component of a 710 GMAT score.

Intern
Intern

Re: Calling all NYU Fall 2010 applicants [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2009, 10:00
3underscore wrote:
Not sure you should be overly worried about any component of a 710 GMAT score.

Well, 75th percentile is hardly good. Coupled with the quantitative focus at the programs I'm applying to along with my poor undergraduate GPA, I feel like it would make sense to retake. Unfortunately I'm just not prepared to invest the time right now, I'd rather spend it on making my essays really good.

But maybe you DO think that a 710 is inferior and you're just trying to get me to apply with a low score so as to eliminate me from the running... very :twisted: of you :wink:
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 219 [0], given: 6

Re: Calling all NYU Fall 2010 applicants [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2009, 11:23
I just graduated from Stern. I know of a lot of people who appeared as though they had a much lower Quant ability than to get a 710, but then I am more Quant aligned (and had a lower GMAT).

Depends on whether your undergrad was in engineering or math or something - if so, I think a low Q would worry people. But there are remedial math classes and elements to bring people up to speed where necessary.

I think you are right not to worry about it for now - maybe do a little work on your math in the interim in case you want to retake, then you can run at it quickly. The Verbal side seems like you should be able to have that in the bag at short notice.

Intern
Intern

Re: Calling all NYU Fall 2010 applicants [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2009, 11:31
3underscore wrote:
I just graduated from Stern. I know of a lot of people who appeared as though they had a much lower Quant ability than to get a 710, but then I am more Quant aligned (and had a lower GMAT).

Depends on whether your undergrad was in engineering or math or something - if so, I think a low Q would worry people. But there are remedial math classes and elements to bring people up to speed where necessary.

I think you are right not to worry about it for now - maybe do a little work on your math in the interim in case you want to retake, then you can run at it quickly. The Verbal side seems like you should be able to have that in the bag at short notice.

I think I'm going to take Calc 1 @ Hunter. Hopefully getting an A in that will show both my capacity to be successful academically and my ability to work well with quantitative material.
1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 205 [1] , given: 22

Re: Calling all NYU Fall 2010 applicants [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2009, 19:16
This post received
KUDOS
There ARE people with lower GMAT Math scaled scores in this year's new class, just as there are also people who scored less than a 4.0 on their GMAT AWA.

My own GMAT math scaled score is now well below the 80th percentile (I was also a liberal arts major) and while I opted to take the math prep offered to the incoming class, I've had had no indication thus far that my preparedness to deal with MBA quant is somehow considered "inferior."

You're worrying over something quite inconsequential in the grander scheme of things.

MMtrader wrote:
I think I'm going to take Calc 1 @ Hunter. Hopefully getting an A in that will show both my capacity to be successful academically and my ability to work well with quantitative material.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [1] , given: 2

Re: Calling all NYU Fall 2010 applicants [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2009, 19:41
This post received
KUDOS
solaris1 wrote:
There ARE people with lower GMAT Math scaled scores in this year's new class, just as there are also people who scored less than a 4.0 on their GMAT AWA.

You're worrying over something quite inconsequential in the grander scheme of things.

I'm not taking the calc1 class to compensate for a bad quant score on the GMAT. I'm taking it to compensate for a 2.95 UG GPA :P It'll be good ammo for the 4th essay.
SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 205 [0], given: 22

Re: Calling all NYU Fall 2010 applicants [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2009, 20:01
The preliminary class profile for the new incoming class is up. GMAT/GPA are up slightly, selectivity is around the same as last year.

http://w4.stern.nyu.edu/admissions/fulltime/exceptionalstudents.cfm?doc_id=395
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP

Re: Calling all NYU Fall 2010 applicants [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2009, 07:29
This post received
KUDOS
That is some pop in the GMAT. Less women as well. I knew your class would suck...

1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP

Re: Calling all NYU Fall 2010 applicants [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2009, 13:59
This post received
KUDOS
Pop quiz: Frame a sentence with the words "quality" and "quantity" both in it.

3underscore wrote:
Less women as well. I knew your class would suck...
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP

Re: Calling all NYU Fall 2010 applicants [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2009, 14:09
This post received
KUDOS
It is not about quantity when they are all poor quality?

Director
Director
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 90 [0], given: 25

Re: Calling all NYU Fall 2010 applicants [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2009, 14:23
You two are some kind rivalry. Those number are insanely high, Solaris, compared to what books says on any previous year. This is interesting.
1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP

Re: Calling all NYU Fall 2010 applicants [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2009, 17:15
This post received
KUDOS
Ha, no rivalries billyjeans. I'm just messing around with 3underscore who's rather jealous of our new, quite fabulous MBA1 class.

What numbers are insanely high, specifically? The average GMAT for last year's incoming class was 708 and the corresponding average GPA was 3.4. These numbers this year are 717 and 3.5, respectively. Just a bit higher.

And yes, as 3underscore pointed out - the incoming class as it stands right now is younger and less diverse than it was last year.

I am also willing to bet that there will be a bunch of other schools whose selectivity will stay unchanged in comparison to the 2008 admissions year. So much for this being a hyper-competitive year to get in to business school! IHateTheGMAT and I totally predicted this. :wink:

billyjeans wrote:
You two are some kind rivalry. Those number are insanely high, Solaris, compared to what books says on any previous year. This is interesting.

Back to cramming for my stats midterm. :(
Re: Calling all NYU Fall 2010 applicants   [#permalink] 25 Jul 2009, 17:15