Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 19:39

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all NYU Fall 2010 applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all NYU Fall 2010 applicants [#permalink] New post 16 Dec 2009, 21:08
LB20 wrote:
dabd10 wrote:
Hello,

Does anyone have any additional information about the Stern Women's Interview Day in February? Are most women applicants invited? Is it in one's best interest to accept? Thanks - and good luck to everyone.

I don't know if all female applicants are invited or not (I was, but couldn't do that day in Feb). According to the email I got, there is no disadvantage/advantage of going to the Interview Day in terms of admissions. Now, who knows if that really is true or not--I obviously have no idea.

I think there are definite benefits to going to the day if you're unsure about Stern or haven't been before--luckily I have visited before and have several other women contacts who have been really great for me to help me understand Stern, the community, etc. But the event is supposed to be a really amazing experience to meet current Stern students, alumni and other applicants and go to the SWIB conference which is apparently fantastic.

Thanks so much for the quick reply. I am quite familiar with Stern and have previously attended a SWIB event but I think I will take advantage of this event anyway. It can only help in my final decision. The only downfall is that I was previously accepted at another choice and need to tell them yes or no within 30 days. Stern is my #1 choice, though, so I'll figure something out. Thanks again.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling all NYU Fall 2010 applicants [#permalink] New post 17 Dec 2009, 07:03
to those who have already interviewed,
could you give us a brief rundown of what to expect? i know there are plenty of resources elsewhere, but i feel like this forum has been the most helpful.

thanks guys, and good luck!
2 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Wharton!!! Stern Columbia HBS
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 42 [2] , given: 6

Re: Calling all NYU Fall 2010 applicants [#permalink] New post 17 Dec 2009, 07:20
This post received
KUDOS
raven52 wrote:
to those who have already interviewed,
could you give us a brief rundown of what to expect? i know there are plenty of resources elsewhere, but i feel like this forum has been the most helpful.

thanks guys, and good luck!

hi raven, the reason i never posted about my interview before is that it was pretty straightforward. from what i've read about interview reports & other people i talked to who interviewed recently, my interview was "simpler", so i didn't want to give people the impression that they didn't need to prepare for "curveball" type questions.

the interviewer was really nice and basically asked me a few questions that in the end, just walked through my resume (undergrad, 1st job, 2nd job, why I chose each etc) and why stern/why MBA/why goals. nothing complicated. but i know other people got more complicated questions about leadership examples, specific experiences, what you will do if you don't get a job in your field (maybe these questions are targeted more towards finance people where the jobs are fewer these days) etc. at the end she asked if i had any questions and we had some time to talk about a few extra topics/question areas.

i would say definitely know your application really well and be able to talk about specifically why stern--which is to be expected from the way the application essays are structured.

i hope that's helpful. i'm crossing my fingers that my interview went well...
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling all NYU Fall 2010 applicants [#permalink] New post 17 Dec 2009, 08:06
definitely helpful! it's good to know what the most recent interviews have been like (as opposed to those posted in previous years).

good luck, i hope you get in
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: NYU-R1 wait-list w/iv , Wharton-R2 (summer-waitlist; fall2010), INSEAD R2 (jan'11), CBS fall 2011 ED

Kudos [?]: 7 [1] , given: 2

Re: Calling all NYU Fall 2010 applicants [#permalink] New post 17 Dec 2009, 08:26
This post received
KUDOS
raven52 wrote:
definitely helpful! it's good to know what the most recent interviews have been like (as opposed to those posted in previous years).

You probably already know this but check http://www.clearadmit.com/wiki/index.ph ... =Main_Page for any updates.
VP
VP
Schools: NYU Stern 2009
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 219 [0], given: 6

Re: Calling all NYU Fall 2010 applicants [#permalink] New post 17 Dec 2009, 11:22
dabd10 wrote:
Thanks so much for the quick reply. I am quite familiar with Stern and have previously attended a SWIB event but I think I will take advantage of this event anyway. It can only help in my final decision. The only downfall is that I was previously accepted at another choice and need to tell them yes or no within 30 days. Stern is my #1 choice, though, so I'll figure something out. Thanks again.

The SWIB event is really good, and I remember seeing a lot of the girls from that day at Preview. The odds are the same, I am fairly confident, but the work put into the day events are really good (a class with Prof Marciano for example) and a really strong support network including a lot of alumni.

I would really consider trying to push back on the other school. Responding within 30 days in December is really quite early, so I think you might enjoy some success in pushing them back a little way. If not, contact admissions and explain your predicament. If they want to interview you, they want to interview you. It may be possible to work around it.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: R1: Stanford, Booth, Stern; R2: Columbia, Anderson, McCombs, Marshall
WE 1: 4 years, corporate event planning
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 3

Re: Calling all NYU Fall 2010 applicants [#permalink] New post 17 Dec 2009, 14:01
This post received
KUDOS
Just did my interview earlier today, which I think went pretty well. The customized welcome folder is pretty impressive and gives a good rundown of potential clubs and programs to join based on my application.

Like others have said here, it was pretty relaxed and conversational. My interviewer had read my full app and was familiar with my essays. I didn't get any tricky interview questions, just why career-switch, what can you bring from your previous experience, why Stern, etc. I did have to recount a couple of specific stories from work about problems I have solved and a time I failed at something. But all in all, I think everyone here has thought through this stuff so much while doing apps that it shouldn't be a problem.

I also did the Lunch with students which was very relaxed, and all of the current students were awesome and helpful. I met solaris, who was helpful as always. It was hard to tell if I did "well" - but I guess there's no way to know... My interviewer told me I will probably hear something around mid-January. Good luck to everyone :)
Current Student
Schools: Kellogg Class of 2012
WE 1: Energy Risk Consulting
WE 2: Commodities Finance
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 11

Re: Calling all NYU Fall 2010 applicants [#permalink] New post 17 Dec 2009, 15:35
Thats great Swank!
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling all NYU Fall 2010 applicants [#permalink] New post 17 Dec 2009, 17:32
3underscore wrote:
dabd10 wrote:

The SWIB event is really good, and I remember seeing a lot of the girls from that day at Preview. The odds are the same, I am fairly confident, but the work put into the day events are really good (a class with Prof Marciano for example) and a really strong support network including a lot of alumni.

I would really consider trying to push back on the other school. Responding within 30 days in December is really quite early, so I think you might enjoy some success in pushing them back a little way. If not, contact admissions and explain your predicament. If they want to interview you, they want to interview you. It may be possible to work around it.

Thanks very much - I appreciate the reply. I agree that December is much too early to confirm anywhere and I'm working on pushing back. Thanks again.
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling all NYU Fall 2010 applicants [#permalink] New post 17 Dec 2009, 18:17
Got interview invitation today.

The messages seem like they want the applicants to do interview on their campus to show some commitment and interest.

I am allocated in asia and have to monitor daily market movement. So leaving for NYC for the interview is really a burden. However I visited their campus 2weeks ago during my biz-trip and attended their infosession and had talk with the students. So i would like to request a phone interview

Adcomm says phone or alumni interview are extreamly rare, but do you guys heard of any past occasions?

Thank you
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling all NYU Fall 2010 applicants [#permalink] New post 17 Dec 2009, 18:42
Got interview invitation today, too.
(requested an off-site interview in China)

Good luck~
VP
VP
Schools: NYU Stern 2009
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 219 [0], given: 6

Re: Calling all NYU Fall 2010 applicants [#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2009, 07:44
Sure they appreciate people coming to NYC, but they also understand that it isn't viable for some candidates - the expense for people from developing nations is prohibitive in many cases.

This is the reason why they have off-campus interviews. They are unusual in that these, if you can get them, are with AdCom and people who travel from NYC specifically for the purpose of interviews. This means that they are very much the same as you would have in New York in every way, though the downside is that by employing this method the number of interviews and timing is restricted.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling all NYU Fall 2010 applicants [#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2009, 07:55
for those that have not received interviews, are you all starting to get worried?
Manager
Manager
Schools: Columbia Business School, NYU

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling all NYU Fall 2010 applicants [#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2009, 08:23
Indeed :(

A New Yorker's MBA Journey Yo!
http://xlick.blogspot.com/

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling all NYU Fall 2010 applicants [#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2009, 08:25
Indeed.

Posted from my mobile device Image
Current Student
Schools: Kellogg Class of 2012
WE 1: Energy Risk Consulting
WE 2: Commodities Finance
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 11

Re: Calling all NYU Fall 2010 applicants [#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2009, 09:27
I think its way too soon to worry about it. Given the unusual nature of Essay 3, I imagine it would take them a while to process all the apps. Additionally, the interview deadline is still TWO MONTHS away (Feb 15th).
Intern
Intern
Schools: Darden (R1), Ross (R1), Stern (R1), Fuqua (R1), Booth (R2)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling all NYU Fall 2010 applicants [#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2009, 10:14
The general consensus I've gotten from reading these boards is that the bulk of interview invites will be sent in the first half of January. So nothing to be worried about yet...
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: NYU Stern Class of 2012
WE 1: GM, Diversified Financial Svcs.
WE 2: Sales & Trading

Kudos [?]: 12 [1] , given: 3

Re: Calling all NYU Fall 2010 applicants [#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2009, 12:36
This post received
KUDOS
Got an acceptance email this afternoon (same exact time I got the acceptance call from Yale). Been one heck of a day! Interviewed Monday, 12/07.

Good luck to everyone, I could not have done it without this forum!
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Wharton!!! Stern Columbia HBS
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 42 [1] , given: 6

Re: Calling all NYU Fall 2010 applicants [#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2009, 13:01
This post received
KUDOS
I also got an acceptance email earlier this afternoon. I am so freakin' excited. So that makes the final order for me:

Submitted App: 11/12
Status Check Email: 11/16
Interview Invite: 12/3
Interview: 12/7
Decision: 12/18

I would reiterate what a few other people were saying today, though. I DEFINITELY DEFINITELY would not let this discourage anyone who hasn't heard yet... They specifically say that they will be sending interview invites through February, so I think this was just the first bulk they got through. GOOD LUCK to everyone!!
Manager
Manager
Schools: Columbia Business School, NYU

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling all NYU Fall 2010 applicants [#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2009, 13:27
Wow! Congrats Nick and LB! Great way to kick off the weekend 8-)

A New Yorker's MBA Journey Yo!
http://xlick.blogspot.com/

Re: Calling all NYU Fall 2010 applicants   [#permalink] 18 Dec 2009, 13:27