Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Aug 2014, 19:22

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all NYU Fall 2010 applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [1] , given: 6

Re: Calling all NYU Fall 2010 applicants [#permalink] New post 26 Jan 2010, 06:23
This post received
KUDOS
dannyboytw wrote:
Do they make students they want wait so long??

umm, see the posts of other R1 people still waiting.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling all NYU Fall 2010 applicants [#permalink] New post 26 Jan 2010, 11:57
This post received
KUDOS
Yep. Ross is way better than Stern. Stern clings onto NYC location. That's about it.. In terms of ranks/reputation/alumni... Ross is way better.
Unhedged,

Sorry to hear your W/L, but I were you.. I'll take Ross anyday
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Columbia Business School, NYU

Kudos [?]: 8 [1] , given: 1

Re: Calling all NYU Fall 2010 applicants [#permalink] New post 26 Jan 2010, 13:08
This post received
KUDOS
Hey guys, I did my interview today. My interviewer told me I'll hear back within 2-3 wks. Here are some questions that I was asked.

How will you impact the Stern community?
What skills do you need to possess for your field?
Why did you pick your college?
Career progression?
What do you like and dislike about your current job?
How will you make your decision if you get accepted into all the business schools you applied to?

A New Yorker's MBA Journey Yo!
http://xlick.blogspot.com/

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Kellogg Class of 2012
WE 1: Energy Risk Consulting
WE 2: Commodities Finance
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 29 [1] , given: 11

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all NYU Fall 2010 applicants [#permalink] New post 26 Jan 2010, 13:49
This post received
KUDOS
Thanks guys, I appreciate the kind words. I'm not terribly upset by the waitlist, as I think I would have chosen Ross over it anyway. Good luck to everyone else waiting!
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Re: Calling all NYU Fall 2010 applicants [#permalink] New post 26 Jan 2010, 17:18
This post received
KUDOS
I asked this question. Before they used to interview like 30% and accept 80%
Now they interview 30% but only accept 50%.
I personally heard this from Adcom.. so no third party info

Looks you got one.. when did you get it?
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Schools: NYU Stern 2009
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 218 [1] , given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all NYU Fall 2010 applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2010, 01:13
This post received
KUDOS
bonobocobra wrote:
I asked this question. Before they used to interview like 30% and accept 80%
Now they interview 30% but only accept 50%.
I personally heard this from Adcom.. so no third party info

It used to be around 30% with 60-70%. Never as high as 80%. Given the range, I would expect they have migrated to 50-60% perhaps to be cautious (I am not sure whether the "an interview is a sure thing" type thought process led to a lot of blowing up).

Bamo - just wait on it. The time it takes doesn't reflect on the decision. Consider it like a court case - when yours gets heard, it gets heard. In the three week time period it is highly unlikely you will migrate from being a Waitlist to an admit, or to a ding. It is clear cut, and will be decided at the point of time it is raised in the meeting. When others are scheduled has little or no bearing.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling all NYU Fall 2010 applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2010, 14:43
This post received
KUDOS
pls count me in for R3. tks
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: HBS, Stanford, CBS, NYU, Haas, MIT

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling all NYU Fall 2010 applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2010, 16:09
This post received
KUDOS
Hey, been surfing this thread for a while. Thought I'd finally make myself useful and post this info in case it helps anyone else.

Just got my acceptance email today.

Submitted R1: 11/15/09
Invite: 12/14/09
Interview: 1/12/10
Accept: 1/27/2010

Good luck everyone!
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: HBS, Stanford, CBS, NYU, Haas, MIT

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling all NYU Fall 2010 applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2010, 18:05
This post received
KUDOS
Bamo wrote:
@mbag - if i may ask, when did you get the notification? In the morning?

Actually, been spending the last few days refreshing my mailbox every hour but finally got it in the late afternoon, when I least expected it.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling all NYU Fall 2010 applicants [#permalink] New post 28 Jan 2010, 10:31
This post received
KUDOS
Only one person got an admit on this forum? For god sakes this is freaking NYU not Harvard
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Wharton Class of 2012 w/ fellowship
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 56 [1] , given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all NYU Fall 2010 applicants [#permalink] New post 29 Jan 2010, 18:29
This post received
KUDOS
got the "application received/status checked" email today and and invite to interview during the diversity interview weekend. being that both came on the same day with one stating they look forward to reading my app and the second saying they have read my app...i wonder which it is? i'd like to have some confidence that i got invited after having my application read at least once and not just invited based on diversity with no evaluation given to my application as of yet :?

My story of an average chick who stumbled into the 700+ club
700-clubbers-add-your-name-to-the-list-64636-100.html#p600519
My 2009-2010 Application Decisions
2010-profiles-w-admit-dings-results-no-discussion-78475.html?view-post=600694#p600694

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Re: Calling all NYU Fall 2010 applicants [#permalink] New post 29 Jan 2010, 19:41
This post received
KUDOS
Your app probably got picked up right away. Stern interviews aren't blind. The whole application is read and only after people are invited.

Good Luck.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: Stern

Kudos [?]: 3 [1] , given: 2

Re: Calling all NYU Fall 2010 applicants [#permalink] New post 30 Jan 2010, 11:51
This post received
KUDOS
snipertrader wrote:
I wonder if this statement "for many graduating MBAs, the pressure is on to transform Stern from a "finance school" into something else entirely: a top-tier B-school that produces a diversified graduating class destined for jobs in a variety of industries, not just one" has any implication on their selection process. :roll:

as a finance person who chose to apply to nyu because of its strength as a finance school... :roll:
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling all NYU Fall 2010 applicants [#permalink] New post 31 Jan 2010, 10:21
This post received
KUDOS
I'm new to the forum, and thought I'd share my info.

Received some good news earlier this week:

Submitted: 11/15/09
Invite: 12/21/09
Interview: 1/19/10
Accept: 1/27/2010

Best of luck to everyone.
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Affiliations: Consortium (CGSM.org), NSHMBA
Schools: Yale SOM Class of 2012
WE 1: Investment Banking Summer Associate (Boutique tech M&A)
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 215 [1] , given: 111

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Calling all NYU Fall 2010 applicants [#permalink] New post 31 Jan 2010, 21:58
This post received
KUDOS
3underscore wrote:
snipertrader wrote:
NYU New Dean

http://www.businessweek.com/bschools/co ... 345247.htm

But as am Alum who is bored to death of reading on here how "it is a finance school" (and as a person in Finance) it is annoyingly blind-sighted.

i think the primary reason that stern retains this label is strictly from employment #s. From the article: "Yet even as late into the financial crisis as 2009, nearly half the Stern graduating class was still pursuing careers in financial services".

as you mentioned, finance isn't going to go away (any more than it would go away from booth or cbs), but initiatives by the new dean should help reduce the label at least somewhat

GMAT Debrief

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Booth-Class of 2012
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 18 [1] , given: 2

Re: Calling all NYU Fall 2010 applicants [#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2010, 16:45
This post received
KUDOS
For those of you who have already interviewed on campus. What kind of activities are organized by Stern? At the moment I have scheduled the interview + lunch with students. However I would like to attend a class and speak with few students clubs. For class visits, Stern website only says that they are reserved for people who are interviewing, however I could not enroll for them when I set up my interview. Does anybody know how does it work?

Also, I am a female applicant, and although I received invitiation to interview last week, my invitation was not extended to the SWIB conference (where I think they also interview candidates). Does anybody know if this means something? I am not sure if they only interview US applicants
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling all NYU Fall 2010 applicants [#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2010, 22:12
This post received
KUDOS
Xerion wrote:
For those of you who have already interviewed on campus. What kind of activities are organized by Stern? At the moment I have scheduled the interview + lunch with students. However I would like to attend a class and speak with few students clubs. For class visits, Stern website only says that they are reserved for people who are interviewing, however I could not enroll for them when I set up my interview. Does anybody know how does it work?

Also, I am a female applicant, and although I received invitiation to interview last week, my invitation was not extended to the SWIB conference (where I think they also interview candidates). Does anybody know if this means something? I am not sure if they only interview US applicants

They will give you a Stern shirt before the interview to make you remember them. It will be great if you are accepted, but if you are denied, I suggest burning the shirt or throwing it away.
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Affiliations: Consortium (CGSM.org), NSHMBA
Schools: Yale SOM Class of 2012
WE 1: Investment Banking Summer Associate (Boutique tech M&A)
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 215 [1] , given: 111

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Calling all NYU Fall 2010 applicants [#permalink] New post 03 Feb 2010, 07:58
This post received
KUDOS
uniquelyidentify wrote:
that's not true... there are people who interviewed after us (1/11 or 1/12) who got acceptances... I am pretty convinced for this for Stern: if you do not hear for an interview within a month of application, then you're ding or waitlist. if you do not hear within 2 weeks after interview, then it's a ding or waitlist

of course, this is mere speculation unless you're an NYU adcom member. as i've said in other threads to other people, feel free to speculate as much as you like about any school's admission process, but please don't make things seem like fact when you are merely stating your observation or opinion.

snipertrader wrote:
At least going by the gmatclub stats, that looks quite plausible.

hmm, handful of gmatclub posters... 4600 total applicants to nyu. you guys be the judge :)

GMAT Debrief

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: Columbia Business School '13
WE 1: Public Accounting (big firm)
WE 2: Public Accounting (small firm)
WE 3: Internet Startup

Kudos [?]: 3 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling all NYU Fall 2010 applicants [#permalink] New post 03 Feb 2010, 08:19
This post received
KUDOS
Hoping this isn't true! I received my interview invite in January after submitting on 11/15. Just interviewed last week and now waiting to hear back.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling all NYU Fall 2010 applicants [#permalink] New post 03 Feb 2010, 10:38
This post received
KUDOS
I am accepted.... I guess that Stern t-shirt will be safe for now.
Re: Calling all NYU Fall 2010 applicants   [#permalink] 03 Feb 2010, 10:38