Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 11:04 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 11:04

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [1]
 Q48  V46
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 114 [1]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: International Development, Social Enterprise
Schools:Wharton, Chicago, Columbia, NYU, Harvard, Stanford
 Q48  V47
GPA: 3.6 - Ivy
Send PM
Manager
Manager
 Q48  V47
Send PM
Re: Calling all NYU Fall 2010 applicants [#permalink]
Kudos
I'm honestly not sure. I suspect that, between R1 and previous years, the admissions committee gets an idea of yield trends for the year. Let's say their matriculation rate is something like 60%. Maybe they initially let in 550 students for their 400 seats, knowing that it is highly likely that more than 150 of them will not attend. Everyone else is waitlisted. Then they start letting people in off the waitlist as admitted students decline. I actually suspect they would have it down to an even finer science than this by now, but what do I know? Exactly nothing. Pure conjecture. Maybe someone else can weigh in.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 223 [1]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: General Management
Schools:NYU Stern '11
Kudos
No one will know how that works for sure. The Admissions Office goes through this process every year, so they probably have a system figured out based on precedent alone. Clearly the system isn't precise because class sizes in the past three years have ranged from 414 (this year) to 433 (Class of 2009?).

The "official" class is supposed to be 415 strong. So there might be the argument that if they find 18 more people they really really like, the class gets to be 433 MBA1s. Or alternatively, if they only find 414 they want, then they're averse to accepting anymore people on the waitlist even if there's spot for 1 more. Who knows.

Note that I am not claiming to know what goes through the Admissions Directors' minds.

By the way, I can't recall having seen either Booth or Stern's yield percentages in the past couple of years. The last numbers I saw, I think, indicated both schools were in the high 50s.

snipertrader wrote:
Aenigma wrote:

Although I agree with the gist of this message, I would just point out that Booth's yield is probably higher than Stern's. So Booth might admit 750 applicants for their 600 seats, while Stern might also admit 750 applicants for their 415 seats.

From a logistical standpoint how does it work. For ex - Would Stern Admit 415 candidates and wait-list (750-415) candidates? Later as candidates start accepting/rejecting admits, they would move from the wait-listed candidates and offer them admits. Is that how it works? Just curious. :roll:

Cheers!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance (Corp Fin, Financial Instruments)
Schools:NYU Stern 2009
Send PM
Kudos
solaris1 wrote:
No one will know how that works for sure. The Admissions Office goes through this process every year, so they probably have a system figured out based on precedent alone. Clearly the system isn't precise because class sizes in the past three years have ranged from 414 (this year) to 433 (Class of 2009?).

The "official" class is supposed to be 415 strong. So there might be the argument that if they find 18 more people they really really like, the class gets to be 433 MBA1s. Or alternatively, if they only find 414 they want, then they're averse to accepting anymore people on the waitlist even if there's spot for 1 more. Who knows.

Ah, let me let you in on a little known fact. The Class of 2009 saw a jump in yield completely unforseen by Stern. I know people in the class of 2010 who were offered (and took) the option to defer for a year, so the true number of acceptances that year were even higher.

I am pretty sure that they have adjusted the yield calculation to get the size they are looking for, which may involve a more judicious use of the waitlist - that I can only speculate about. They don't really go around talking about the yield moves, but when you look at the reported interview hit rates and other things, it seems clear that the yield has become much stronger.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
pudgethefish wrote:
Have all the NYU R2 interview invites already gone out?

Did any go out?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Kudos
I got an interview invite this AM! my heart fell to the floor when i saw the email. I don't see myself on the rollcall yet, but I applied R2 on the deadline date 1/15, received the email with my application status log-in info on 1/27.

i live in nyc, so it' really just a matter of figuring out how much time i need to prep and taking a few hrs off work. Best of luck to everyone! Hope you all get invites =)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Hi fellow Stern applicants,

Just wanted to let you know that i got an invite this morning, so coupled with the ding noted I assume that they are already emailing out stuff.
Submitted 1/5, invited 2/8.
They require you to interview on-campus and reply to their invite within 2 weeks by scheduling the interview.
It is 30 minutes, and they require that you bring your official transcript.
The email will read "NYU Stern Invitation to Interview"

I am new to this forum (it is a little confusing!) but let me know if you have any questions or advice!!!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [1]
Schools:HBS, Booth, Stern, Kellogg
 Q42  V48
Send PM
Kudos
The Admissions Committee has reviewed your application and is pleased to invite you to interview.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So excited! I submitted on the last day and got an email on 29 Jan saying my application was received/complete. This makes me really happy because frankly my GPA is ~3.0 and I thought that might be a big limiting factor ...

Now the question is, does it reflect poorly on me if I do any off-campus interview as opposed to on-campus? I am currently living in London and don't know if I can make it to New York for an interview given my work schedule. However, I've never been to campus and would like to go ...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [1]
Schools:HBS, Booth, Stern, Kellogg
 Q42  V48
Send PM
Kudos
Analyst9 wrote:
Thats an awesome profile pudgethe fish !! Congrats on the call !!

Wonder though if that thought came to you looking at my profile name :)

Haha, no offense to finance types! :P

To be honest, given my low GPA, I am really banking on the idea that schools will be sold on my unique background ... I like to imagine MBA adcoms are like little kids at the zoo - no one wants to see turtles or deer or birds ... every kid wants to see the tiger or panda or gorilla. I WANT TO BE A GORILLA! :shock:
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Analyst9 wrote:
Guys with interview calls, can you please share ur profiles...Just trying the get the trend for interviews !!

Female, US-born
gmat: 710
Ethnicity: Korean
gpa: 3.62
current field: marketing, 4 yrs of work experience upon matriculation
EC/volunteer work: help with family business part-time + volunteer work (mainly with public schools in Harlem)
college ECs: a big mix, ranging from radio show DJ to peer academic advsior, and several leadership/elected positions in clubs.

good luck to those who are waiting for interviews!
Manager
Manager
 Q48  V47
Send PM
Kudos
krnguy228 wrote:
has NYU said when they would start releasing decisions? R2 invites? I apologize in advance if this question has already been asked..
just getting anxious!! :P

I don't believe NYU has released a date for when invitations will start going out, but it has set as its "initial notification date" -- meaning interview / waitlist / rejection -- as April 1st. (Incidentally, what a GREAT day to send out decisions, no?) I don't think they have to render a final decision, post-interview, until June 1st.

Presumably they'll do it a lot faster for most people. That said, I believe there are R1 applicants who still haven't heard definitively. So a long wait may well be in the cards for any or all of us.
Manager
Manager
 Q48  V47
Send PM
Kudos
Got an invitation to interview at about 10:30 this morning!

Submitted 1/15 shortly before the deadline.
Visited campus (tour, coffee chat, class visit) before submitting so I'm sure they saw genuine interest in my essays.

Profile here: 2010-profiles-w-admit-dings-results-no-discussion-78475-100.html#p670701

Good luck to everyone who is still waiting!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [1]
Given Kudos: 295
Send PM
Kudos
Lightcap wrote:
Quick question I'm hoping someone here can help me out w/...

I'm a waitlisted (w/ interview) Rd. 1 applicant and am planning on taking a night class later this month.

I can take either Financial Accounting or Business Statistics, both of which are roughly equivalent to the two primary required core classes at Stern. https://w4.stern.nyu.edu/admissions/full ... First_Year

I'm taking a class to try to beef up my app b/c I have no quant background (or business/financial coursework) post high school. My quant score on the GMAT was also relatively low (74%) so I'm guessing that was a major factor for me not getting the admit. (For you guys stressing about being quants, I'm an ex Peace Corps volunteer w/ all of my WE in non-profit... so it can cut both ways.)

Any one have any thoughts on which would be better, Accounting or Statistics? I talked to a Stern part-time alum from the 70's and he was adamant that I should take accounting.

It depends on your career focus. Statistics goes hand in hand with quant skills. Accounting - it depends. If you want to go towards investment banking, accounting will be useful for that discipline. If you want to do something like strategy or consulting, I think statistics might be more useful as it's directly correlated with quant skills.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [1]
Concentration: Finance
Schools:University of Chicago
 Q40  V44
Send PM
Kudos
Guys did anyone get an invite to the Summer Start program interview day. I am a Round 1 applicant and just recieved my interview last week for that interview day. Just curious.
VP
VP
Kudos
Any particular reason you believe you were waitlisted because you had no prior quantitative background? There are plenty of people at Stern who had had no formal business or financial coursework before coming to business school. Myself included. And my GMAT quant score wasn't that far off from yours either.

You could take either class if you want (I chose to take an intro class in corporate finance, but that was to mitigate a somewhat mediocre UG transcript), but it's probably a good idea to take the core accounting class at Stern anyway, so if you feel taking an additional class now and doing really well will indeed beef up your application, you might as well try to do statistics and then place out of the core statistics class once you get in.

Not sure if Admissions gives any waitlist feedback, but I wouldn't automatically assume it's your academic preparation that's unfortunately landed you on the waitlist. Sometimes such things happen for fairly arbitrary reasons, I'm afraid.

Good luck, however!

Lightcap wrote:
Quick question I'm hoping someone here can help me out w/...
I'm a waitlisted (w/ interview) Rd. 1 applicant and am planning on taking a night class later this month.

I can take either Financial Accounting or Business Statistics, both of which are roughly equivalent to the two primary required core classes at Stern. https://w4.stern.nyu.edu/admissions/full ... First_Year

I'm taking a class to try to beef up my app b/c I have no quant background (or business/financial coursework) post high school. My quant score on the GMAT was also relatively low (74%) so I'm guessing that was a major factor for me not getting the admit. (For you guys stressing about being quants, I'm an ex Peace Corps volunteer w/ all of my WE in non-profit... so it can cut both ways.)
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance (Corp Fin, Financial Instruments)
Schools:NYU Stern 2009
Send PM
Kudos
To take Solaris' point a little further - the chances of you placing out of either of those core classes is minimal. Accounting is super difficult to place out of (need to be a CPA pretty much) and Stats is really quite tough - you need to have memorized and be able to perform regression stats with a calculator without notes - I remember writing "see you in class" on mine. This is actually tougher than the class itself will be (I worked with an engineering Grad throughout the class and we pretty clearly could have used our time better than in Stats).
VP
VP
Kudos
Summer Start is a fantastic experience, I completed the program last summer and have nothing but good things to say about it!

Most people simply view it as an opportunity settle in to business school a bit more gradually than the rest of the incoming class. There's a huge variety in the backgrounds of the folks who are admitted to the program - we had bankers, military officers, entrepreneurs, consultants, engineers, as well as non-profit and entertainment industry types - so it's not intended to only appeal to a certain kind of applicant. In addition to getting an earlier start to your required core coursework, Summer Start does give you access to some unique "leadership development" programming that's not available to MBA1s otherwise.

Some (3underscore is very likely going to quip "short bus" here again :) )would say that it's a program intended for people who might need a bit of extra prep to come up to speed with the academic demands of business school, but the math and accounting prep classes offered during Summer Start are also offered as part of the Fall orientation.

I personally viewed Summer Start as an opportunity to build an extensive peer group before things kicked off in earnest in the Fall, finish some core and elective courses I would have taken otherwise anyway over the summer (so I had more time to spare during the Fall and the Spring), and my experience completely met all of my expectations. By far the most fun 6 weeks I've spent at Stern so far. Okay, perhaps Pre-Term was more fun, but you get the drift.

RuthlessCA wrote:
Solaris,

Do you have anything to say about the Summer Start Program. Just curious to what it is, and how peopel who are a part of it view it as. Thanks
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [1]
Given Kudos: 10
Schools:NYU Stern '12
WE 1: Business Development
WE 2: Superhero- shhhhhh
Send PM
Kudos
Just received an interview invite this morning. After getting dinged by Columbia and Booth this week, it was a welcome sight indeed.

24/m/US/good EC
Good luck to everyone else!
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  54