Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Aug 2014, 12:15

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all NYU Fall 2010 applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all NYU Fall 2010 applicants [#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2010, 06:26
any updates? its quiet in here
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: Wharton (R2 - Interview), Kellogg (R2), Anderson (R2 - Interview), Stanford (R2), Stern (R2), Haas (R3)

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling all NYU Fall 2010 applicants [#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2010, 15:41
This post received
KUDOS
Dinged today. Bah.
Intern
Intern
Schools: Stern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 2

Re: Calling all NYU Fall 2010 applicants [#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2010, 18:39
elosorusso wrote:
Dinged today. Bah.

sorry to hear that. from the waitlist, interview, or outright?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 3

Re: Calling all NYU Fall 2010 applicants [#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2010, 21:46
elosorusso wrote:
Dinged today. Bah.

Sorry to hear that. Can you please share your profile.
Intern
Intern
Schools: [color=red][CBS Class of 2013]
WE 1: 2 years investment banking (middle-market)
WE 2: 3.5 years transaction modeling / consulting (big 4)

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling all NYU Fall 2010 applicants [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2010, 09:07
Has anyone received an interview this week? This waiting is killing me! I wish they'd let us know one way or the other. Does anyone know if NYU dings people as they go or will the majority of dings take plac on April 1? Has anyone heard of people actually getting invited to interviews this late in the round or on April 1?
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: Kellogg (R2), Wharton (R2 - Int), Stern (R2)

Kudos [?]: 3 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling all NYU Fall 2010 applicants [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2010, 10:36
This post received
KUDOS
I got an interview invite late yesterday. Applied 1/15..

F / international / 5 years WE PE / liberal arts

I also have a question... Can anyone (particularly current students) comment on how emails in support of a candidate from current students/alumni are received by AdCom? I saw the following from a Q&A published in BusinessWeek, but it was back in 2005, so I'm not sure how these emails are perceived now. Thanks!

Q: Does it help if an alumnus writes a recommendation?
A: We love recommendations from alumni. We [also] welcome...casual e-mails in support of applicants from our alumni and current students.
http://www.businessweek.com/bschools/mb ... _bs036.htm
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling all NYU Fall 2010 applicants [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2010, 11:06
Quote:
I got an interview invite late yesterday. Applied 1/15..

F / international / 5 years WE PE / liberal arts

I also have a question... Can anyone (particularly current students) comment on how emails in support of a candidate from current students/alumni are received by AdCom? I saw the following from a Q&A published in BusinessWeek, but it was back in 2005, so I'm not sure how these emails are perceived now. Thanks!

Q: Does it help if an alumnus writes a recommendation?
A: We love recommendations from alumni. We [also] welcome...casual e-mails in support of applicants from our alumni and current students.
http://www.businessweek.com/bschools/mb ... _bs036.htm

Thanks. Its good to know that people are still getting interviews. Just to be clear, you are international but living in the US right (which would be similar to my status)?

In answer to your questions, when i visited NYU this past december, they said they welcome people supporting potential candidates. I believe they have a drop box on campus where people can go and submit a note of support for an applicant.

I am not 100% sure about an alumnus writing an email to the admin office - as far as I can remember (as I think I asked that questions while on campus) they welcome that too. Just to be sure though, you might as well give the admissions office a quick call to confirm. Good luck with your interview
Intern
Intern
Schools: Kellogg (R2), Wharton (R2 - Int), Stern (R2)

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all NYU Fall 2010 applicants [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2010, 11:25
Thanks, appreciate your input. When you said there is a drop box, you mean one for current students to write a note to vouch for a candidate?

To answer your question, yes I am an international currently working in the US.

Thanks again!!
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling all NYU Fall 2010 applicants [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2010, 11:56
What are the realistic chances if i applied 1/15 and still have no heard back from the NYU.. I understand they usually lag a little but this is getting pretty late. Do you think if you have not heard by now that you are gonna get a ding or are there still a good amount of interview invites to go??
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling all NYU Fall 2010 applicants [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2010, 12:07
misstango wrote:
Thanks, appreciate your input. When you said there is a drop box, you mean one for current students to write a note to vouch for a candidate?

To answer your question, yes I am an international currently working in the US.

Thanks again!!

Yes: a current student can write a note and put it on the drop-box to vouch for a current applicant. Mind you, I dont know if there was a time limit for submitting such a supporting note as I dont know how frequently they check the box. Once again, prob worth calling the office and checking with them. You dont have to give your name in case your worried about annoying them with questions and the last 2-3 times I have called over the past few months, they havent asked.

Quote:
What are the realistic chances if i applied 1/15 and still have no heard back from the NYU.. I understand they usually lag a little but this is getting pretty late. Do you think if you have not heard by now that you are gonna get a ding or are there still a good amount of interview invites to go??

mrdoodle, I asked the same question earlier today and it appears that interviews are still being sent out. I think it cant be a good thing to not have heard back as yet (I applied 1/15 and havent heard either) but misstango got an invite yesterday and some others as well on the NYU BW forum spoke of having been invited earlier this week. I called the office a few days ago and they continue to say that they will be sending out invites until the April 1 initial notification date.

What I would like to know is how often they ding people during a round and whether they make most of the dings on April 1. If they are dinging people regularly as they go along, then no news is still good news for those who havent heard back yet. With time, it looks grimmer and grimmer but I still have hope.
Current Student
Schools: NYU Stern '12
WE 1: Business Development
WE 2: Superhero- shhhhhh
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 10

Re: Calling all NYU Fall 2010 applicants [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2010, 12:51
Any admits attending tonights reception with Dean Henry in Los Angeles?

"Any school that meets you and still lets you in is not a good enough school to go to" - my mom upon hearing i got in
Thanks mom.

Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all NYU Fall 2010 applicants [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2010, 14:58
mustafaj wrote:
Any admits attending tonights reception with Dean Henry in Los Angeles?

I do :lol:
VP
VP
Schools: NYU Stern 2009
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 218 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all NYU Fall 2010 applicants [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2010, 19:36
quantconcerns wrote:
In answer to your questions, when i visited NYU this past december, they said they welcome people supporting potential candidates. I believe they have a drop box on campus where people can go and submit a note of support for an applicant.

The alumni you are looking to recommend you will know how to do this - it isn't exactly tricky and is well understood. I would advise being careful chasing an alum simply for this reason, as I have known it to backfire.

All schools appreciate input from Alumni and current students. It makes sense as these are the folk who the school wants to be employing you when you graduate, and understand the nature of the class morale and culture.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all NYU Fall 2010 applicants [#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2010, 05:46
Ding today.

School:
Boston College MBA '12

Intern
Intern

Re: Calling all NYU Fall 2010 applicants [#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2010, 06:03
hypermeganet wrote:
Ding today.

sorry to hear that... what a bad way to start off the weekend... im sure ill be joining you real soon
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 89 [1] , given: 3439

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all NYU Fall 2010 applicants [#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2010, 07:23
This post received
KUDOS
hypermeganet wrote:
Ding today.

Very sorry to hear that, man. You've got some good admits already and still waiting on a couple of schools? I hope you end up somewhere that will make you very happy.

For everyone else out there, if it gives you hope, I received an interview invitation this morning. Please check my admit/ding thread post for my profile, if you are curious, and search my previous posts on this thread for my submission date/time. Good luck all!
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Wharton, Chicago, Columbia, NYU, Harvard, Stanford
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 101 [1] , given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all NYU Fall 2010 applicants [#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2010, 07:33
This post received
KUDOS
Congrats, coakleym! Good luck.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all NYU Fall 2010 applicants [#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2010, 07:53
coakleym wrote:
hypermeganet wrote:
Ding today.

Very sorry to hear that, man. You've got some good admits already and still waiting on a couple of schools? I hope you end up somewhere that will make you very happy.

For everyone else out there, if it gives you hope, I received an interview invitation this morning. Please check my admit/ding thread post for my profile, if you are curious, and search my previous posts on this thread for my submission date/time. Good luck all!

I was wondering if they gave you a date that you had to complete the interview by?
Current Student
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 295

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all NYU Fall 2010 applicants [#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2010, 07:55
coakleym wrote:
hypermeganet wrote:
Ding today.

Congrats coakleym! Good luck to you. I have yet to hear a ding or interview. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
Current Student
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 89 [0], given: 3439

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all NYU Fall 2010 applicants [#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2010, 08:07
Aenigma wrote:
Congrats, coakleym! Good luck.

Thanks! I heart that you continue to refer to me by my avatar despite knowing my actual name, haha.

elduderino wrote:
I was wondering if they gave you a date that you had to complete the interview by?

No complete date. They only ask that we confirm our interest by scheduling an interview within two weeks of receiving the invitation. Looking at the interview dates and times, there's availability at Stern through the end of April.

gkumar wrote:
Congrats coakleym! Good luck to you. I have yet to hear a ding or interview. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Got my fingers crossed for you too. We've each had a rough app season. Hope you get your invite at Stern!
Re: Calling all NYU Fall 2010 applicants   [#permalink] 19 Mar 2010, 08:07