Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 14:37

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all NYU Stern applications...

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
SVP
SVP
Schools: Ross '10
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 165 [0], given: 1

[#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2007, 09:46
riverripper wrote:
I think the GMAT also matters more depending on what pile you are placed in. Obviously you have the Indian IT, where the overall average is probably on the higher range of the GMAT. Then the IB from NYC who apply in large numbers probably overall a tough group with a below avg to avg GMAT.

I used to think that schools demand higher scores from the Indian IT pool. I think this is a classic example of mistaking a correlation to a cause-effect. (Those CR days!).

Indian IT applicants with the high GMAT scores probably are better prepared and more hard working than the other applicants with lower scores. I said probably, so please dont take offense.

A high GMAT indicates that he/she is willing to work very hard to improve the odds of admission. Now, wouldn't such a person naturally put together a better application than a person with a lower score. I am sure people with 780 do crappy applications and conversely someone with a 600 can do a great job. But on average, you will expect the high GMATers to do a better job than a low GMATer.

Consequently, the high GMATers from the Indian IT pool get in more than the low GMATers. But they get in not neccesarily due to the high GMAT. But I can see how this can create an impression that a high GMAT is neccessary or sufficient.

Re-take GMAT if you feel you underperformed, but dont do it just because you have the need to crack the 750 barrier. My 2 cents...
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2007, 11:33
I saw several posts about how high GMAT is valued at NYU. But can someone quantify it more...

For the entering class of '06, the GMAT stats where:

Average GMAT score 700
GMAT score: 80% range 640-750

So anything over 720, 730 is considered are high by the Ad-Com?

I am 730 GMAT but low UGPA (3.0) from a 15-20 ranked university. Would like to know from you how this will be regarded by the AdCom.

Thanks.
Director
Director
Schools: Stern, McCombs, Marshall, Wharton
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 103 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2007, 13:36
DJM wrote:
I saw several posts about how high GMAT is valued at NYU. But can someone quantify it more...

For the entering class of '06, the GMAT stats where:

Average GMAT score 700
GMAT score: 80% range 640-750

So anything over 720, 730 is considered are high by the Ad-Com?

I am 730 GMAT but low UGPA (3.0) from a 15-20 ranked university. Would like to know from you how this will be regarded by the AdCom.

Thanks.

You GMAT and undergraduate GPA seem to be in line with the class profile at NYU. Your GMAT is a little higher than the average and you GPA is a little lower than the average but they both are within the 80% range. Your essays will do alot in determining the strength of your application.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 27 Aug 2007, 17:50
Stern states that for re-applicants, essay #4 should be used to explain how your candidacy has improved since your last application but does not mention about the word limit. I have about 880 words. I think this should be fine since they did not specify the word limit. What you do guys and girls think?

Thanks!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
WE 1: Social Gaming
Followers: 65

Kudos [?]: 338 [0], given: 14

[#permalink] New post 27 Aug 2007, 17:56
I will be attending Starn's infosession in San Diego on 9/20 at 7pm. Any GMATClubbers down there?

There's a Silicon Valley one on the 24th at Google too.
Director
Director
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: HKUST MBA - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.2
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 8

[#permalink] New post 27 Aug 2007, 19:01
kryzak wrote:
I will be attending Starn's infosession in San Diego on 9/20 at 7pm. Any GMATClubbers down there?

There's a Silicon Valley one on the 24th at Google too.

Are you flying down to San diego? if you drop down in LA, we can rent a car together and head down there - let me know if you are interested in the idea.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
WE 1: Social Gaming
Followers: 65

Kudos [?]: 338 [0], given: 14

[#permalink] New post 27 Aug 2007, 19:48
PM-ed you. Flying to SD and will be there all week... driving up to LA after the Stern thing.
  [#permalink] 27 Aug 2007, 19:48