Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 18:29

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling All NYU Stern Fall 2011 Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: Columbia (admitted), NYU (interviewed), Kellogg (interviewed), Duke (applied)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [1] , given: 2

Re: Calling All NYU Stern Fall 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 14 Jan 2011, 11:18
This post received
KUDOS
Had my NYU interview earlier this week as a RD1 applicant. I'm really not sure how it went, I think I aced some q's but was blindsided by the interviewer's focus on digging into my extra-curriculars and job strategy in college vs. asking me about current work exp, why NYU, etc....ugh.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 11 [1] , given: 9

Re: Calling All NYU Stern Fall 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 14 Jan 2011, 11:52
This post received
KUDOS
Had my interview earlier this week and I must say that I was impressed on the research that Stern did. It was by far the most in depth of all the interviews that I had and the questions were NOT common questions (i.e. why MBA, etc.) It almost seemed like you were supposed to answer those as part of the bigger questions, but once again, the questions I got were extremely detailed and specific to industries and even companies.

Also, not bad to get a free t-shirt!
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Schools: Tuck, Yale (ding), NYU, Columbia, Duke (int)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 22 [1] , given: 13

Re: Calling All NYU Stern Fall 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 15 Jan 2011, 13:27
This post received
KUDOS
While I'm not particularly fond of the arrogant attitudes, I think it's probably something you should get used to. You'll find arrogance at top schools among the students and faculty, and probably even more so among the firms you'll be applying to. The group of schools we all aspire to attend are incredibly selective, and that can get to some people's heads.
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: CBS Class of 2013
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 15 [1] , given: 7

Re: Calling All NYU Stern Fall 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2011, 12:44
This post received
KUDOS
The wait to hear back is slowly pissing me off . .. ;P
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 25 [1] , given: 17

Re: Calling All NYU Stern Fall 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 19 Jan 2011, 04:47
This post received
KUDOS
singhalm wrote:
hi there,

I am a R1 applicant from Australia/UK. I have not heard anything back with regards to my application. Do you think this is a likely rejection given that most who have been waitlisted or requested for an interview have already been advised?

Are there any other applicants from the Uk or Australia?

Hope to hear frrom someone.

thanks

Many international applicants are yet to hear from Stern, especially if the applicant is from any of the countries (China, India, and UK) where the adcom will be travelling for off-campus interviews. There is also the unconfirmed report that International R1 and R2 applicants are clubbed together and the interviews are conducted for both set of applicants during early March. This could be the reason why internationals have not heard yet.

I am hoping that this wait is not a prelude to a mass waitlist/ding. :roll:
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V37
WE: Securities Sales and Trading (Investment Banking)

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 10

Re: Calling All NYU Stern Fall 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 19 Jan 2011, 07:51
This post received
KUDOS
For the sake of Indian applicants:

I have been following this thread since the start and so far just 1 Indian applicant has been invited for interview and another waitlisted.

God bless the rest of us
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Re: Calling All NYU Stern Fall 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 19 Jan 2011, 10:24
This post received
KUDOS
josiebella wrote:
I feel like NYU sends out admits on Fridays. Can anyone verify this?

So far the two dates that people have heard on are 12/20 (Monday) and 1/5 (Wednesday). Each of those are roughly two weeks apart, so perhaps this week?
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 21 [1] , given: 4

Re: Calling All NYU Stern Fall 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 19 Jan 2011, 13:01
This post received
KUDOS
My email notification came shortly after 5pm. I noticed the change on the status page about a half hour before that. The email came from NYU Stern MBA Admissions and had a subject of NYU Stern MBA Admissions. The body of the email just says that there has been an update to the status of the application and a link to the status check site is provided. I'm not sure what it said for waitlisted/dinged applicants, but I'm guessing that nothing is given away by the email itself.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling All NYU Stern Fall 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 19 Jan 2011, 15:42
This post received
KUDOS
I just got my status check as well at 5:57. I interviewed 2 weeks ago from tomorrow. I am a reapplicant from NYC. Media background going into brand management. Goodluck to everyone! Will definitely check back in, but right now I need to celebrate.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling All NYU Stern Fall 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Jan 2011, 15:42
This post received
KUDOS
Heard from adcom, over phone, that most international invites have already been sent, even to those from Europe (UK), China and India, and very few invites are left. Didn't give me the number of invites left or anything. I guess, it's left to our conclusion.

I am surprised becuse a couple of days ago someone said that international invites are yet to be sent. Probably this adcom was more forthcoming? Ain't good for me anywise.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Re: Calling All NYU Stern Fall 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 26 Jan 2011, 14:04
This post received
KUDOS
Just checked...I AM IN!!!!!!

Submitted 11/14
Interviewed 1/10
Admitted 1/26

For those who totally freak out and want the full story like me, what the Stern email is from "NYU Stern Admissions" and the subject is "NYU Stern Admissions." You go to your website and there says that there is a Status Letter at the bottom. Click on that and you find out. Moral of the story is that if you don't get an email that says "Congrats" - DO NOT FREAK OUT.
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Calling All NYU Stern Fall 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 26 Jan 2011, 14:05
This post received
KUDOS
GOT THE EMAIL TODAY! I AM IN!
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
Schools: CMU (Tepper) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: Q V
GMAT 2: 740 Q V
GPA: 3.05
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 41 [1] , given: 11

Re: Calling All NYU Stern Fall 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 28 Jan 2011, 05:34
This post received
KUDOS
I know this has been mentioned before, but thought I would bring it up again.

For those wanting to kill time, if you go to YouTube and type in "Stern Essay 3" you will see a bunch of submissions from 2011 applicants. Some good, some not quite polished, but regardless they're interesting to watch.

Also, for those who are already accepted, you may get a preview of your future classmates!

* The opinions expressed here are my personal views and do not necessarily reflect the views of my school, the Tepper School of Business.

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Stern '13 (M)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 19 [1] , given: 2

Re: Calling All NYU Stern Fall 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2011, 11:40
This post received
KUDOS
@wp06

I interviewed with Maggie as well. She didn't reply to my thank you email and I still got in. So don't read into anything if she doesn't. More likely she is just very busy.

Look forward to possibly seeing you this fall. Good luck!

Posted from my mobile device Image
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Calling All NYU Stern Fall 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 03 Feb 2011, 05:09
This post received
KUDOS
SalarymanJ wrote:
Did you apply to columbia in the ED round cause if so personally I think you are obligated to go to Columbia from a moral standpoint. Other question is what career path are you choosing and what company are you looking to work for? Do they recruit at both?

Nope, RD! I am choosing brand management as my career path and as I understand it, they are about even in that area. I am also looking to stay in consumer products / luxury products (my background) and I do believe the major players recruit at both. I think I am going to call Columbia and see if they will award me anything given this situation....hmm.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
GPA: 3.14
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 87 [1] , given: 57

Re: Calling All NYU Stern Fall 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 03 Feb 2011, 05:57
This post received
KUDOS
josiebella wrote:
SalarymanJ wrote:
Did you apply to columbia in the ED round cause if so personally I think you are obligated to go to Columbia from a moral standpoint. Other question is what career path are you choosing and what company are you looking to work for? Do they recruit at both?

Nope, RD! I am choosing brand management as my career path and as I understand it, they are about even in that area. I am also looking to stay in consumer products / luxury products (my background) and I do believe the major players recruit at both. I think I am going to call Columbia and see if they will award me anything given this situation....hmm.

There's a relevant discussion in the Booth Full Ride ($$$) vs HBS thread. Similar to your situation -- both top schools, HBS is ivy and considered a bit more prestigious though job prospects from both are probably very similar.

The conventional wisdom is that you shouldn't let scholarship money influence your decision if you would definitely choose the non-$$ school if scholarships weren't in play. In other words, if CBS is the right school for you, go to CBS as the $25K or $50K isn't a lot in the big picture, whereas going to the right program will benefit you greatly in the long run.

However, someone brought up a really interesting point in that thread (rhyme perhaps?). That was, the votes seemed to generally align between alums vs prospective students (one could also view it as pragmatists vs idealists). Those who have completed bschool largely voted for the pragmatic choice of Booth w/ $$ and prospective students largely voted for HBS (initially I did). The people who have been there and done that seem to have concluded what VictoryMBA did -- the Ivy shine wears off -- that holds a lot of weight with me.

So, I would propose the decision tree to look something like this:

(In terms of money, I echo what someone said earlier, there is $, $$, and $$$, and this is $$)

If faced with School A no $$ vs B w $$:

(i) If B > A -> B

(ii) If B = A -> B

(iii) If B < A but only because slight prestige factor but both programs are great for your goals -> B

(iv) If B < A for substantive reasons -> A

In your case JB, it seems that the situation is (iii), so I would go with NYU if I was you. However, I like your idea of throwing the option to CBS to woo you, and if the money is the same or better then that changes things.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
Schools: CMU (Tepper) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: Q V
GMAT 2: 740 Q V
GPA: 3.05
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 41 [1] , given: 11

Re: Calling All NYU Stern Fall 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 03 Feb 2011, 11:49
This post received
KUDOS
Nerdtastic wrote:
jezeb wrote:
Another data point:

Submitted: 12/15/10
Int. Invite: 12/19/10
Interview: 1/13/11
Accepted: 2/2/11

Female, 740, nonprofit

WOW! So you got your interview invite four days after submitting!?! Is that normal? I submitted on 1/15/11 and still haven't heard...When should I expect to hear? Any ideas?

I wouldn't worry - no one has posted about any January round interviews. It appears that if you submitted in December you were grouped w/ the tail end of the November round.

On a side note, I had posted earlier that I went back and read through last year's NYU thread. It appears that February 8 was when January round interview invites began, so next week will be a big week for a lucky few.

* The opinions expressed here are my personal views and do not necessarily reflect the views of my school, the Tepper School of Business.

1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
Schools: NYU Stern '11
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 205 [1] , given: 22

Re: Calling All NYU Stern Fall 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Feb 2011, 14:13
This post received
KUDOS
brainhurt wrote:
@solaris1 (or anyone else who knows about this) - how do scholarships work for 2nd years? Are they only available for people who got them in their 1st year and performed well academically? Or can anyone earn scholarships for 2nd year based on 1st year performance? If so, what kind of $$ levels?

As someone pointed out already, the scholarships offered with your admissions decision are for the MBA1 year only. Several MBA2s (irrespective of whether they had scholarships as MBA1s) are offered scholarships based on how "well" they do academically (or otherwise) during their MBA1 year. The MBA2 year scholarship amounts once again typically range from 5,000 to 15,000, but go as high as 50,000. Obviously only a couple of people get the 50,000.

Unless I'm mistaken, you can also apply to a handful of scholarships after being admitted, the Harvey Beker Scholarship is the only I can think of at this point however.
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Schools: Tuck, Yale (ding), NYU, Columbia, Duke (int)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 22 [1] , given: 13

Re: Calling All NYU Stern Fall 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 07 Feb 2011, 22:54
This post received
KUDOS
vixer wrote:
Did anyone else in R2 notice the status check website have a slight grammar fix today? Went from "NYUStern" to "NYU Stern"...

Mine still says "Thank you for applying toNYU Stern." On that note, this thread has hit an all new level of neuroticism. :-D
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 24 [1] , given: 8

Re: Calling All NYU Stern Fall 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 09 Feb 2011, 08:54
This post received
KUDOS
brainhurt wrote:
For the record I was joking around, there grammatical error means nothing other than they need better QA.

Ok, web programmer here. There's only one web page template that the server uses to show that "Thank you" message. In other words, it's impossible that everyone has their own page that requires little elves to fix it one by one.

Guess what? Try to delete your browser history and see if the grammar is fixed now. Most likely, YOUR BROWSER CACHED THE OLD/INCORRECT PAGE and that's why everyone sees a different version.
:lol:
Re: Calling All NYU Stern Fall 2011 Applicants   [#permalink] 09 Feb 2011, 08:54