Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 11:16

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling All NYU Stern Fall 2011 Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 6 [1] , given: 6

Re: Calling All NYU Stern Fall 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 14 Feb 2011, 13:47
This post received
KUDOS
Ah another quiet day for R2 applicants.! In a way I prefer silence to anxiousness! (knowing that fellow applicants are receiving invites). Last few days have been so peaceful! :)
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 32 [1] , given: 3

Re: Calling All NYU Stern Fall 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2011, 11:34
This post received
KUDOS
Codename47 wrote:
So about 3/4 R2 amigos have gotten their invites. Question for R1 applicants..

Was there a day or week when most of the interview invites were sent out or were the invitations trickled out at a very slow and sometimes patience testing pace until the deadline?

I'm R2 as well. And waiting. But I found some information from last year's thread that gives us some information. Here is the list of dates that R2 interview invites went out:

Interview 1/22
Interview 2/01
Interview 2/02
Interview 2/08
Interview 2/08
Interview 2/09
Interview 2/12
Interview 2/19
Interview 2/23
Interview 2/23
Interview 2/24
Interview 2/25
Interview 3/01
Interview 3/03
Interview 3/04
Interview 3/04
Interview 3/09
Interview 3/18
Interview 3/19
Interview 3/24
Interview 3/26

The first two dates were from people who submitted way before the deadline. So, if we ignore them, GMAT Club had 19 interview invites - half of them in February, half of them in March. Looks like they might be moving slightly slower this year. I think GMAT Club is actually a little more popular (at least this thread is), so one could guess we may have a little more than last year as well. Doubtful that we would have less.

Hope this helps.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 32 [1] , given: 3

Re: Calling All NYU Stern Fall 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2011, 11:37
This post received
KUDOS
Additionally, this shows that there was never a "wave" of invites... the most any day had on this forum was 2 in a day! (Assuming people accurately reported.)

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 21 [1] , given: 4

Re: Calling All NYU Stern Fall 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 18 Feb 2011, 07:23
This post received
KUDOS
That sounds about right. The last week in June or the first week of July should be fine. The city empties out for July 4th weekend (Sat-Mon), so try to schedule around that and looking during the week is better than on the weekend.

Edit: That is the earliest you could secure an apartment and the time when you will have the most options. You can look later and there will be plenty of good apartments available. Although you are not competing directly with students per se, you will be competing with all of the kids who graduated in May and are looking to move into the city to start their new jobs in August. August 1 and September 1 are definitely the worst days to be looking to start a lease and moving.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Affiliations: VFW, Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans of America, West Point Association of Graduates
Schools: Wharton Class of 2013
WE 1: Army Ranger / Infantry Platoon Leader Operation Iraqi Freedom (2 yrs)
WE 2: Company Executive Officer (1 yr)
WE 3: Company Commander (2 yrs)
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 63 [1] , given: 75

Re: Calling All NYU Stern Fall 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 23 Feb 2011, 13:25
This post received
KUDOS
just got admitted this afternoon...definitely feels awesome
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: HBS (R2-Ding), Wharton (R2-Ding), MIT (R2-Ding), McCombs (R2-Accepted), Tuck (R2-WL), NYU (R2-WL)

Kudos [?]: 3 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling All NYU Stern Fall 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 23 Feb 2011, 18:49
This post received
KUDOS
OMG that video is insane....I submitted a cookbook I wrote from a trip to Italy (don't get crazy...it was very simple)....um I feel like intro to Microsoft Word (dot matrix edition) compared to this guy...
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling All NYU Stern Fall 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 24 Feb 2011, 17:06
This post received
KUDOS
for all those moving to new york, especially with dogs - don't write off brooklyn! i know that everyone here has been talking mostly about manhattan, and manhattan is great, but brooklyn can be a fantastic choice for a lot of reasons. someone else on this forum mentioned that it would take 45 min to get from bk to school, but i can tell you it takes me about 30-35 min and i don't even live in one of the closest bk neighborhoods to manhattan (the closest would probably have you there in 15-20). i know people on the upper east and upper west sides who go to stern and have longer commutes.

brooklyn is generally a little bit cheaper (not always), but the big thing is you usually get a lot more space for your $$, which is great, especially if you have a dog. i actually have a real kitchen and a backyard, which i'd never get in manhattan at this price. ditto on my bedroom and living space. also, we have great restaurants and bars and all kinds of fun stuff. it's generally more residential in feeling -- less packed sidewalks and tall buildings. i like the craziness of the village but it is nice to come home to something a bit more calm and still very urban.

if you want to check it out, i'd look at: cobble hill, carroll gardens, brooklyn heights, williamsburg, park slope, fort greene, and clinton hill. lots of young professionals living there, you can find good access to subways in each of those places to get to stern, and they are some fun neighborhoods.

i just know it's a beast when you are first moving here to figure out where to look, so wanted to throw it onto people's radars!
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
GPA: 3.14
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 87 [1] , given: 57

Re: Calling All NYU Stern Fall 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 25 Feb 2011, 09:22
This post received
KUDOS
csk2010 wrote:
How is the probability game with Stern waitlists?Is it like a HBS waitlist which is nearly impossible to get off.

These are all the WLers from last year, with eventual outcome where available:

R1:
aabbccddee - Submitted | Waitlist(w/out Int) 1/08 | Admitted McCombs, matriculated
anandnesan - Applying | Waitlist (w/out Int) 1/08 | Admitted McCombs, matriculated
bball2693 - Applying | Waitlisted (w/out Int) 1/08 | Admitted UCLA, matriculated
Crashing - Applying | Waitlisted (w/out Int) 1/06 | Interview 2/25 | Admitted 4/2
Lexi25 - Submitted | Interview 12/21 | Waitlist 1/27 | Admitted Cornell, matriculated
Lightcap - Submitted | Interview 1/26 | Waitlist 2/9 | Admitted Kelley, matriculated
MMtrader - Submitted | Waitlisted (w/out Int) 1/06 | Dinged 7/14
papito - Applying | Waitlisted (w/out Int) | Interview 3/4 | Unknown
Pook - Applying | Waitlisted (w/out Int) 1/08 | Interview 5/12 | Admitted 6/01 (was also admitted from YSOM's WL, chose NYU)
raven52 - Submitted | Waitlisted (w/out Int) 1/05 | Dinged 7/28
unhedged - Applying | Waitlisted (w/out int) 1/26 | Admitted Kellogg, matriculated
uniquelyidentify - Applying | Interview 1/12 | Waitlisted 2/3 | Unknown
xlick - Submitted 1/05 | Interview 1/29 | Waitlisted 2/9 | Admitted Cornell, matriculated

R2:
ARIL - Submitted 1/15 | Waitlisted w/out int 3/22 | Admitted elsewhere, matriculated
cosminm - Submitted 1/15 | Waitlisted w/out int 3/22 | Dinged
cwhite1020 - Submitted | Waitlist 2/19 | Unknown
djpropah - Submitted 1/15 | Waitlist w/out int | Unknown
greytmba - Submitted 1/15 | Waitlist w/out int 2/9 | Dinged
madmex82 - Submitted 1/15 | Waitlist w/out int 3/26 | Dinged
quantconcerns - Submitted 1/15 | Waitlist w/out int 3/26 | Dinged (Admitted to CBS for 2011)
sj0509 - Submitted 1/07 | Waitlisted w/out int 3/22 | Dinged 6/09
uwsmatt - Submitted 1/14 | Interview 2/23 | Waitlisted 4/1 | Unknown

R3
PRtoMBA - Submitted 2/09 | Interview ?/? | Waitlisted ?/? | Admitted 6/28 (Also admitted to CBS off WL, chose CBS)

Tough to draw conclusions. It does seem clear that they most dings from WL won't happen until at least June.

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
GPA: 3.14
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 87 [1] , given: 57

Re: Calling All NYU Stern Fall 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 25 Feb 2011, 11:23
This post received
KUDOS
Are you asking about applying R3 this year? It's tough at the best of times, but given the challenges in your profile it's gonna be even tougher. If you're set on applying R3 I'd suggest looking at lower- ranked programs. Simon comes to mind as a bit lower ranked but still known for finance.

I have to agree with Gannet though, your odds at NYU and CBS this year are slim to none IMO. You would be better off waiting and applying next year.

Posted from my mobile device Image

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [1] , given: 2

Re: Calling All NYU Stern Fall 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 09 Mar 2011, 09:48
This post received
KUDOS
futurestrategist wrote:
Does anyone know when the deposit deadlines are for Stern admits?

The initial deposit is $2,000 by April 25, 2011, which gives some time for admitted students to make a decision after the April 15-17th preview weekend.

It's interesting that Stern has only one preview weekend and such a late deposit deadline, unlike most schools, which have separate deadlines after R1 and R2. On one hand, this lets Stern's admitted students get an even better idea of who their prospective classmates would be (since both R1 and R2 admitted students would be attending), but then again, that means that Stern has to be extra careful in the number of people they admit, since they are forecasting the number of matriculations over both R1 and R2 (whereas, if there was a R1 deposit deadline, then Stern would know how many R1 admitted students did not pay a deposit and could adjust the number of R2 admits accordingly).

http://justship.wordpress.com

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Cornell (accepted)
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 25 [1] , given: 4

Re: Calling All NYU Stern Fall 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 09 Mar 2011, 09:59
This post received
KUDOS
when are decisions being delivered? lol i'm going crazy here #needclosure

Find out more about my MBA ADMISSIONS BOOK on how to navigate the b-school application process: http://bit.ly/1a9U7Cl

Blogged my way through the application process, 1st & 2nd year of school at Johnson at Cornell University - Graduated 5/26/2013 - Follow my MBA journey here @ http://www.money9111.blogspot.com | 1 New Post on 10/10
!

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Stern '13
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 42 [1] , given: 16

Re: Calling All NYU Stern Fall 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 10 Mar 2011, 05:43
This post received
KUDOS
itsallwrong wrote:
one more comment.. i wonder if they invite for interviews or review applications based on gmat score? I only got a 700, and according to this forum everyone who has been accepted is at least 720+ .. yet the range is 660-750.

thoughts?

Your GMAT is good enough, unless your Q section is very low which would raise a flag. My GMAT was less than 720, and I was accepted. If your GMAT was on the lower end of the range I'd say you have to be from an under-represented group or have unique/stellar work experience.

There are so many other factors they evaluate you on, GMAT is nothing but a check box.

Like the response? Kudos it!

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: HBS (R2 - dinged wo interview) Columbia (R2 - int - dinged) Wharton (R2 - Admit w $) Stern (R2 - Admit w $$)

Kudos [?]: 4 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling All NYU Stern Fall 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 10 Mar 2011, 12:27
This post received
KUDOS
upInTheAir wrote:
liz10 wrote:
I interviewed on 8th march.

congrats! any odd ball questions?

Umm let me try to recall all the questions!
He was very nice and welcoming. But went straight to questions
1) What do you like to do in your free time
2) Talk me through your resume
3) Your short-term goal is to be __. This is a very a competitive field, what are two qualities that would make you stand out?
4) What are your internship plans?
5) What if they dont happen? Whats your contingency plan?
6) Why Stern and not other programs?
7) Any questions for him.

It was about 30 minutes and he said i will hear back in 3 weeks. GOOD LUCK to people out there! Hope this helps :)))))))))
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling All NYU Stern Fall 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 10 Mar 2011, 15:09
This post received
KUDOS
uprightcitizen wrote:
VictoryMBA wrote:
Sometimes I feel like my application has been sitting in the rejected pile for the last several weeks, and they haven't sent me the email because they just don't give two fu**s and have until April 1 to get around to it.

You're not the only one who feels that way. Still hope...

I was waitlisted last year until beginning of August (the last possible day) with no information at all from the school. I am a reapp this year and still haven't heard a thing. It definitely does not leave me feeling very good, but would still not stop me from attending.

730/3.7 WI/5+ years Software Development + Management.........I went through a ridiculous number of drafts of my essays at all my schools this year

Not sure why no one wants me (tear)
1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Re: Calling All NYU Stern Fall 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2011, 10:15
This post received
KUDOS
jimo wrote:
Did anyone get asked to interview for the summer start program? is program supposed to be good? is it mainly for international kids? the description of it was not very good.

Summer start is a way for you to reduce the number of classes you need to take during fall. It's good if you want to have more focus on your job search, and also if you want to bond with some classmates early on. It's bad because you will waste what may be your last free summer until retirement, have to move to NY early & pay $$$ rent (if you're not already from there), or lose the potential income from employment should you decide to pass on the free summer thing.

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling All NYU Stern Fall 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2011, 10:57
This post received
KUDOS
After being waitlisted without an interview last year for six months, I am now waitlisted without an interview again. I guess I know where I stand in their eyes.

Do they go through their waitlist w/ interview before looking at the waitlist w/o?
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 2

Re: Calling All NYU Stern Fall 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 23 Mar 2011, 15:15
This post received
KUDOS
waitlisted without interview. I really don't understand why they bother to waitlist people that they haven't interviewed...
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [1] , given: 7

Re: Calling All NYU Stern Fall 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2011, 09:47
This post received
KUDOS
just received an interview invite... a day before the decision (I applied on 1/15 or 14) but I plan to withdraw from it since I've already accepted an offer from another school.

Keep the hope guys!
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Affiliations: VFW, Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans of America, West Point Association of Graduates
Schools: Wharton Class of 2013
WE 1: Army Ranger / Infantry Platoon Leader Operation Iraqi Freedom (2 yrs)
WE 2: Company Executive Officer (1 yr)
WE 3: Company Commander (2 yrs)
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 63 [1] , given: 75

Re: Calling All NYU Stern Fall 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2011, 18:15
This post received
KUDOS
llcoolj wrote:
STF wrote:
How many people here interviewed on March 30th? Has anyone heard back yet? P.S. I know this sounds a little ridiculous, since some folks here have been having anxiety attacks for 3+ weeks, but still...

how did your interview go? were the questions difficult?

worried that i will come off nervous during my upcoming interview. stern is my top choice and i am definitely over-preparing, but am concerned about appearing un-relaxed.

the interview with stern is very relaxed; do not stress, no behavioral or tough questions

they ease you into it, review your resume, go over your goals as a progression of your past experiences and how the mba will help, finally they ask a few things to make sure you are proactive like:

if you do not get your internship in the field you want, what is your back-up plan
also, they may ask what draws you most to stern

stern is all about having down to earth and fun people so id say come off serious but also balanced and a fun and humble classmate
1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Re: Calling All NYU Stern Fall 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 05 Apr 2011, 07:41
This post received
KUDOS
mbalady2010 wrote:
I submitted the Kroll authorization forms about 6 weeks ago and still haven't heard from NYU. I contacted Kroll's representative last week and she told me that they submitted the report a while ago so I'm not sure why this is taking so long.
I know the Kroll time frame was discussed here before but has any international applicant finished this process yet and if so, how long did it take?

Thanks

I am a US based international, and I got my email from NYU 2 business days after Kroll submitted its report. I would definitely call NYU at this point. It's likely that you are clear but they forgot to send the email.

Re: Calling All NYU Stern Fall 2011 Applicants   [#permalink] 05 Apr 2011, 07:41