Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Sep 2014, 20:21

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling All NYU Stern Fall 2011 Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 21 [2] , given: 4

Re: Calling All NYU Stern Fall 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 17 Feb 2011, 20:57
This post received
KUDOS
Also, many NYC buildings have ridiculous requirements when applying for apartments. If you are traveling in from out of town, I would suggest having the following when possible:

- Prior year's tax return and primary W-2
- Bank statements showing current balances
- A reference letter from your current/prior landlord (Can be very simple, just stating that you paid your rent on time and were a good tenant.)
- 1-1.5 times monthly rent for security deposit, plus a few hundred dollars for rental applications/credit check fees
- A cosignor

The last point can be tricky. Generally, buildings require you to have 48 times monthly rent in AGI. Most will allow you and your spouse/roommate to combine your income to meet that requirement. If you don't have that (we're students now), you can have a cosignor, but you and the cosignor will have to have 96 times monthly rent in AGI. Many buildings won't allow out of state cosignors or will only allow NY/NJ/CT cosignors.

Don't worry too much about any of these requirements, as they vary by building/management company. It's just helpful to know these things in advance so you can discuss them with the broker/management company before wasting your time looking at specific properties. Also, it helps having all of the paperwork and money squared away if you are coming here for 3 days and want to sign a lease.

Most NYC apartments aren't leased more than 4-6 weeks in advance of move in, so you can either come a little before school starts and find a place to move into within 1-2 weeks or you can come over the summer to look.

Be sure to ask if they offer 2 year leases, so you can get a month or 2 thrown in for free or a reduced security deposit. That can really drive the price down.

Sorry for the length, just trying to be comprehensive.
2 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Yale SOM Class of 2013
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 22 [2] , given: 0

Re: Calling All NYU Stern Fall 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 18 Feb 2011, 07:22
This post received
KUDOS
rouzbie wrote:
Thanks for the apartment renting info, CPANoMore. My fiancee and I have started looking for apartments but it seems like if we want to move in around August 1st we will have to be in NYC early July just to go apartment shopping.

I don't think that's true. I moved to NYC last summer and managed to find an apartment in 72 hours. It's an incredibly fast-moving market - it's very common to show up to a viewing with 10-15 other interested people - so you won't have time to deliberate once you see something you like. It's also a very tiring process, so I definitely wouldn't recommend spending more than a week on it. You'll get a feel for your preferences (doorman, walk-up, neighborhood, etc.) very quickly.
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: NYU (Enrolling!)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [2] , given: 5

Re: Calling All NYU Stern Fall 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2011, 08:37
This post received
KUDOS
I interviewed this weekend with Stern and it was a great experience. In preparation for the interview, it helped me to see what other people went through, so I thought I'd post the questions I got, pretty straight forward actually:

1) Walk me through your resume.
2) How is an MBA going to get you closer to your goals (he already knew my goals)
3) Why now?
4) Why Stern and not Columbia or another MBA program in the area?
5) What kind of internship are you going to pursue and how will that get you closer to your goal?
6) What companies are you looking at?
7) What if this plan doesn't work out?
8) Do you have any questions for me?

That was pretty much it. Now that it is over, I feel much more at ease. Here's hoping for a good outcome in a couple of weeks.
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [2] , given: 0

Re: Calling All NYU Stern Fall 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 02 Mar 2011, 11:25
This post received
KUDOS
Hi Everyone,

Thanks for such a helpful (and therapeutic) thread. I just got may admit email this morning!!! I am super excited! I applied on the application deadline (rd2) and interviewed exactly 1 week ago. Profile: M/3.5(ivy)/720

Best of luck to all of you!

(first time poster--not on the rollcall)
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Ross 2013
WE 1: 4 yrs Management Consulting
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [2] , given: 0

Re: Calling All NYU Stern Fall 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 02 Mar 2011, 13:25
This post received
KUDOS
Good Evening Everyone

I am posting this comment to try to help my friend. You see, I have a friend who religiously checks this forum to the point that it is a disease. I have decided to call the disease "Forumitis" - it is when you check the forums and constantly hit refresh over and over and over again. To you help everyone recognize this disease, here are some of the symptoms:

- Making statements referring to refreshing the boards
- Making arguments and statements beginning with "looks like some ppl..." or "the boards said..."
- Loss of productivity at work
- General lack of hygiene
- Staying in on Friday and Saturday night to hang out with friends from the board
- Even hitting refresh while on the toilet
- Or flat out denying they have a problem

The best way to combat this is to recognize it early and sent them to therapist to get help. How do I know all this, it is because I suffered this in the ED phase. Now that R2 is coming up, I am starting to see other people suffer from this. So, please if you yourself is suffering from this or you know someone who is, please get them help. Please feel free to PM me if you need extra advice. Remember, its normal to check it a few times a day, but hitting refresh is not OK. I just hope this message reaches my friend before its to late.

Good Luck to everyone.
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: R2: Stern, Yale SOM, Wharton, Columbia, Tuck
WE 1: 3+ Engineer

Kudos [?]: 8 [2] , given: 6

Re: Calling All NYU Stern Fall 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 23 Mar 2011, 08:07
This post received
KUDOS
I'm IN! I just randomly checked the 'Check Status' site and found my acceptance letter @ around 11:50 AM EST. Not sure how long it was sitting there, since I never received an email.

740/3.49/25/M/Outside of Philly/Interviewed on 3/7.

After 3 dings, this comes as a HUGE relief. Thanks to everyone for their help in this forum!

"I don't make monkeys, I just train 'em!" - P.W. Herman

2 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Yale SOM Class of 2013
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 22 [2] , given: 0

Re: Calling All NYU Stern Fall 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 11 Apr 2011, 17:06
This post received
KUDOS
upInTheAir wrote:
Pkit wrote:
:evil:

Damn, I paid them 215$ to know the decision , the deadline was 1 st april, WTF????!!!!!!!
I WANT TO SEE THE DECISION REGARDING MY APPLICATION! :evil:

dude - take a chill pill. if you're so upset why don't you call/email adcom.

Agree that one needs to take these things in stride, but the fact that some R2 applicants - who applied in early January - are still waiting for initial notification is borderline absurd. Many such applicants have received other offers and need to make a decision about whether to put down a hefty deposit before they will hear whether they are invited to interview at Stern. This is particularly gut-wrenching for candidates who rank NYU as their top choice.

Applicants put a lot of work - and money - into their applications and apply with the expectation that they will hear back by the notification date provided. Schools that fail to adhere to their notification schedule are simply not living up to their end of the bargain. And that's just not cool. My $0.02.
2 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Schools: NYU Stern 2009
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 218 [2] , given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling All NYU Stern Fall 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 15 Apr 2011, 21:15
This post received
KUDOS
gobigorgohome wrote:
Hi All,
I just received an award with my package and I was wondering--what is the policy for NYU for awarding $ 2nd year? How likely is it that I will be able to get the same/similar award for next year? This type of award for my first year is an "Alumni" scholarship.
Thanks!!

Second year goes all academic. No one tells you that, but if you have a pretty good GPA (3.8? It feels so long ago) you likely get some money. If you have a 4.0 and some other ridiculous nonsense, you get a full ride. My friend got that. I wish someone had mentioned some of this as I am sure I would have got significantly more and not been so disregarding about some classes.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

2 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
Schools: NYU Stern '11
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 205 [2] , given: 22

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling All NYU Stern Fall 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 10 May 2011, 10:24
This post received
KUDOS
In case you guys are interested about recruiting stats, the Stern MBA Class of 2011 is about a week away from graduation. 73% of us already have secured at least one offer. This number may be a bit higher because I know some of us simply haven't reported offers to the career development folks.

And to give you some further food for thought, here are the top 20 recruiters of Stern MBAs (offered and accepted) from the Class of 2011. I'm not including specific numbers, but these 20 recruiters hired about 35% of our class.

1. American Express
2. Citi
3. Deloitte Consulting
4. Deutsche Bank
5. Bank of America Merrill Lynch
6. Barclays Capital Group
7. JPMorgan
8. McKinsey & Company, Inc.
9. Credit Suisse
10. Goldman, Sachs & Co.
11. IBM
12. PricewaterhouseCoopers
13. UBS
14. Accenture
15. Booz & Company
16. Boston Consulting Group
17. Morgan Stanley
18. Federal Reserve Bank of NY
19. Johnson & Johnson
20. Kraft Foods
2 KUDOS received
VP
VP

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling All NYU Stern Fall 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 19 May 2011, 19:59
This post received
KUDOS
One man's pleasure is another man's poison, pkit.

2 KUDOS received
VP
VP

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling All NYU Stern Fall 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 27 May 2011, 18:33
This post received
KUDOS
IBD - all of them. Way more of a lambs to the slaughter business. Stern is respected and recruits through the Bulge Bracket down to the other tiers and boutiques. I my opinion it takes some skill in being a dick not to get an IB internship at Stern if that is *really* what you want to do and are interested in.

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 56 [1] , given: 295

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling All NYU Stern Fall 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2010, 13:20
This post received
KUDOS
w103psp wrote:
Apart from the ranking, what are the major differences between Columbia and Stern? I couldn't really find any useful link online. Most were partisan in their argument!

I would suggest looking at employment reports and schools' philosophies. Both have a strong slant for finance, but NYU has a huge community focus and Columbia has a strong management consulting network outside of NYC. From first glance, they appear very similar, but once you delve beyond the websites and marketing, details will reveal the differences.
1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 205 [1] , given: 22

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling All NYU Stern Fall 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2010, 13:22
This post received
KUDOS
One major difference between Columbia and NYU that doesn't get enough press is that if you harbor ambitions of having your wedding covered in the New York Times you should apparently go to Columbia.

http://nymag.com/daily/intel/2010/07/columbia_is_the_most-named_uni.html

Draw your own conclusions on what brand implications this might have.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Healthcare
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 62 [1] , given: 288

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling All NYU Stern Fall 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Aug 2010, 10:28
This post received
KUDOS
sj0509 wrote:
I'm in for R1 as well. Re-applicant from last year - waitlisted in R2, and eventually dinged in June.

Question : As a re-applicant do I have to submit all 3 essays, and the 2 recommendations again ? Or, since they already have my material, I need to submit only the reapplicant essay (stating how my candidacy has changed since last year) ?

Sorry to hear about your ding! Did you receive any feedback from Stern? You have a great GMAT score.

All's well that ends well...

GMAT debrief

1 KUDOS received
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 218 [1] , given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling All NYU Stern Fall 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2010, 13:42
This post received
KUDOS
To comfort, you get pretty much the same information from a GA as an Adcom - perhaps with more feel for the school atmosphere. The Adcom's are very careful to ensure that equal inside information is released to all candidates - hence no feedback (as they feel they should provide it to over 4000 people or none) and other items.

The dual degrees you need to get in to both programs, I don't think either inform each other of the status. If you are looking into the MSc with Courant and Stern, I recommend that you are careful and informed with your course selection. Courant runs classes when Stern's recruitment takes place and if you don't actively monitor this you may find yourself in a tricky situation (this feedback comes from early participants in the program - it may have been blocked in future).

1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 205 [1] , given: 22

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling All NYU Stern Fall 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2010, 20:22
This post received
KUDOS
Six.

justreallygood wrote:
How many sections are Stern first-years divided into?
1 KUDOS received
Current Student

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling All NYU Stern Fall 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 15 Sep 2010, 07:41
This post received
KUDOS
bluecollarhero wrote:
w103psp wrote:
w103psp wrote:
Stern is in Boston on Tuesday 9/14.

Learn what makes NYU Stern unique
and get tips for preparing a competitive application.

NYU Stern Full-time MBA Presentation in Boston
Hosted by Heather Daly, Senior Associate Director, MBA Admissions
Tuesday, September 14, 2010
7:00 p.m.
Hilton Boston Back Bay
40 Dalton Street
Boston, MA 02115

http://w4.stern.nyu.edu/admissions/admi ... tml?Boston

Info session is this evening. Anyone else from here going?

I will be there

Good attendance at the session last night. My biggest takeaway from the session was that NYU Stern has rolling admissions. I don't think this is mentioned anywhere on their website! If you apply early, you may hear back earlier than the February 15th Initial Notification date.

The other thing of importance: the interview is not blind; the interviewer has read your application and the adcom director advised applicants to re-read their essays before an interview.

bluecollarhero, anything else stood out for you?

GMAT debrief

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
GPA: 3.14
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 87 [1] , given: 57

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling All NYU Stern Fall 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 15 Sep 2010, 07:52
This post received
KUDOS
w103psp wrote:

Good attendance at the session last night. My biggest takeaway from the session was that NYU Stern has rolling admissions. I don't think this is mentioned anywhere on their website! If you apply early, you may hear back earlier than the February 15th Initial Notification date.

The other thing of importance: the interview is not blind; the interviewer has read your application and the adcom director advised applicants to re-read their essays before an interview.

bluecollarhero, anything else stood out for you?

I don't think they have rolling admissions in the true sense of the term. As I understand from the info sessions I attended, they don't look at any applications prior to the Nov. 15 deadline. However, you're right the notification deadline of Feb. 15 is the latest you will find out.

In rolling admissions (e.g., CBS) they typically evaluate applications as they are received.

1 KUDOS received
Current Student

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling All NYU Stern Fall 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 17 Sep 2010, 09:04
This post received
KUDOS
I emailed and asked adcom for clarification regarding rolling admissions and here is the answer:

We understand that sorting out the different schools’ processes can be confusing. At Stern, we typically do not begin reviewing applications or sending application acknowledgments until the first (November 15th) deadline. Once we begin reviewing applications, notifications are rolling, meaning that the applicant could receive a notification at any time. If the application was complete and submitted on or before the deadline, the applicant will receive notification on or any time before the notification date for that deadline. If the application is incomplete, we cannot guarantee that applicants will be notified by the notification deadline.

GMAT debrief

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: Stern, Chicago, Duke, UNC, Wharton
WE 1: S&T
WE 2: Project Management
WE 3: Banking
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [1] , given: 35

Re: Calling All NYU Stern Fall 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 17 Sep 2010, 09:16
This post received
KUDOS
w103psp wrote:
I emailed and asked adcom for clarification regarding rolling admissions and here is the answer:

We understand that sorting out the different schools’ processes can be confusing. At Stern, we typically do not begin reviewing applications or sending application acknowledgments until the first (November 15th) deadline. Once we begin reviewing applications, notifications are rolling, meaning that the applicant could receive a notification at any time. If the application was complete and submitted on or before the deadline, the applicant will receive notification on or any time before the notification date for that deadline. If the application is incomplete, we cannot guarantee that applicants will be notified by the notification deadline.

Thanks for posting the answer..... +1
Re: Calling All NYU Stern Fall 2011 Applicants   [#permalink] 17 Sep 2010, 09:16