Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 11:55 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 11:55

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Marketing
Schools:Stern, Wharton, CBS
GPA: 3.7
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools:UCLA Anderson (IN!!), NYU Stern (IN!!), MIT (R1 Ding), Columbia (RD Ding)
GPA: 3.1
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Calling All NYU Stern Fall 2011 Applicants [#permalink]
upInTheAir wrote:
solaris1 wrote:
In case you guys are interested about recruiting stats, the Stern MBA Class of 2011 is about a week away from graduation. 73% of us already have secured at least one offer. This number may be a bit higher because I know some of us simply haven't reported offers to the career development folks.

And to give you some further food for thought, here are the top 20 recruiters of Stern MBAs (offered and accepted) from the Class of 2011. I'm not including specific numbers, but these 20 recruiters hired about 35% of our class.

1. American Express
2. Citi
3. Deloitte Consulting
4. Deutsche Bank
5. Bank of America Merrill Lynch
6. Barclays Capital Group
7. JPMorgan
8. McKinsey & Company, Inc.
9. Credit Suisse
10. Goldman, Sachs & Co.
11. IBM
12. PricewaterhouseCoopers
13. UBS
14. Accenture
15. Booz & Company
16. Boston Consulting Group
17. Morgan Stanley
18. Federal Reserve Bank of NY
19. Johnson & Johnson
20. Kraft Foods

Thanks!! Are these companies in any order?

I would assume they go from most placements to least, as they are not in alphabetical order nor organized by industry, but I'm not sure. I would also be curious to know if the 73% figure is something that the current students consider to be high or low at this stage of the process given the fact that this class's recruitment was affected by the recession.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 223 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: General Management
Schools:NYU Stern '11
Yes, American Express hired the most MBAs, Citi the next highest and so on.

The 73% figure is apparently an improvement of nearly 11% from the same time last year, so any effect the recession may have had has been significantly lower than in the last couple of years. Last year's class had 79% of all students reporting receiving an offer by graduation, so if that 11 point difference holds, we should be up to 84% by the end of the next two weeks. I think it's actually a decent showing, given that there's a couple more weeks for folks to receive/report offers and usually there's a fair chunk of people in the class who are starting their own businesses or returning to family businesses and do not recruit for full-time positions at all. Then there are others (primarily the PE/VC/Media & Entertainment types) who are more narrowly focused on what they want to do and will only receive offers by the end of the summer.

terra99pin wrote:
I would assume they go from most placements to least, as they are not in alphabetical order nor organized by industry, but I'm not sure. I would also be curious to know if the 73% figure is something that the current students consider to be high or low at this stage of the process given the fact that this class's recruitment was affected by the recession.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Send PM
any updates on OISS apps? I sent my application about 4 weeks ago and so far nothing
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Quote:
any updates on OISS apps? I sent my application about 4 weeks ago and so far nothing

i don't understand why you guys just don't contact the office. everyone will have a different immigration profile so the time processing will always be different.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Send PM
I will contact the office eventually but the email they sent explicitly told not to call or email them..
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
itsallwrong wrote:
Quote:

i don't understand why you guys just don't contact the office. everyone will have a different immigration profile so the time processing will always be different.

I did contact them several times during the past 2 months. I keep getting the same informative response - "your form will be issued shortly".

Anyway since I really have to buy a plane ticket already if I want to preserve a plane seat on the busy July-August seasons- I'm wondering if anyone knows what is the official date that would be written on our I-20? I know that there is a 30-day limitation entry and I want to make sure I buy a ticket that fits the 30-day limit.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Solaris1, I'm going to be entering Stern in the fall and wanted to see if I can ask you more about the recruitment there. I couldn't find a way to pm you, but let me know if you have some time to talk about it offline.

solaris1 wrote:
In case you guys are interested about recruiting stats, the Stern MBA Class of 2011 is about a week away from graduation. 73% of us already have secured at least one offer. This number may be a bit higher because I know some of us simply haven't reported offers to the career development folks.

And to give you some further food for thought, here are the top 20 recruiters of Stern MBAs (offered and accepted) from the Class of 2011. I'm not including specific numbers, but these 20 recruiters hired about 35% of our class.

1. American Express
2. Citi
3. Deloitte Consulting
4. Deutsche Bank
5. Bank of America Merrill Lynch
6. Barclays Capital Group
7. JPMorgan
8. McKinsey & Company, Inc.
9. Credit Suisse
10. Goldman, Sachs & Co.
11. IBM
12. PricewaterhouseCoopers
13. UBS
14. Accenture
15. Booz & Company
16. Boston Consulting Group
17. Morgan Stanley
18. Federal Reserve Bank of NY
19. Johnson & Johnson
20. Kraft Foods
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance (Corp Fin, Financial Instruments)
Schools:NYU Stern 2009
Send PM
You might as well ask it here. He will be busy this week - he is graduating and then starting work a month later, so probably going round the world.

I am surprised about #2 on that list. There must be a stack-load of marketers and general finance management folk arriving in LIC.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
solaris1 wrote:
Yes, American Express hired the most MBAs, Citi the next highest and so on.

The 73% figure is apparently an improvement of nearly 11% from the same time last year, so any effect the recession may have had has been significantly lower than in the last couple of years. Last year's class had 79% of all students reporting receiving an offer by graduation, so if that 11 point difference holds, we should be up to 84% by the end of the next two weeks. I think it's actually a decent showing, given that there's a couple more weeks for folks to receive/report offers and usually there's a fair chunk of people in the class who are starting their own businesses or returning to family businesses and do not recruit for full-time positions at all. Then there are others (primarily the PE/VC/Media & Entertainment types) who are more narrowly focused on what they want to do and will only receive offers by the end of the summer.

I was wondering how many of these 73% are international students, who require visa sponsorship in order to work full-time. I am particularly interested how the major banks look at this issue - do they make the effort and recruit international students, or do they generally prefer U.S. citizens/residents? How many international students did Citi, Deutsche, ML etc recruit?
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2129 [1]
Given Kudos: 622
GPA: 3.77
Send PM
Kudos
do you guys (those who have not been accepted to top school) are working in one of the companies mntioned above?
If yes, why you need an mba degree if you are working there?

I found in this list two companies in which I worked before, and would not go there after gradution.
I am questioning a situation when one being employed at one of those companies is dreaming about MBA and then goes to one of the companies above to a position which he/she would achieve in two years.

p.s. by the way I hav received admission decision a week ago! for my application submitted in R2.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Concentration: Gen
Schools:NYU Stern Class of 2013
GPA: 3.5
WE 1: 3yrs FINANCE
Send PM
Pkit wrote:
do you guys (those who have not been accepted to top school) are working in one of the companies mntioned above?
If yes, why you need an mba degree if you are working there?

I found in this list two companies in which I worked before, and would not go there after gradution.
I am questioning a situation when one being employed at one of those companies is dreaming about MBA and then goes to one of the companies above to a position which he/she would achieve in two years.

p.s. by the way I hav received admission decision a week ago! for my application submitted in R2.

Well in investment banking and consulting its almost expected that you get an mba after 2-3years. Some firms will pay for your MBA if your goal is to come back to the firm at a higher level.

That would be one reason. Or maybe you work in HR at a firm and you want to get into investment banking at the same firm?

Most people getting their MBA are looking to switch careers/firms.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2129 [0]
Given Kudos: 622
GPA: 3.77
Send PM
greentea wrote:

Well in investment banking and consulting its almost expected that you get an mba after 2-3years. Some firms will pay for your MBA if your goal is to come back to the firm at a higher level.

That would be one reason. Or maybe you work in HR at a firm and you want to get into investment banking at the same firm?

I am not from investment banking or consulting.

:lol: lol I am not HR. :lol: :lol: I am not interested in HR. Don 't use assumptions outside of argument.

Quote:

Yes, it true, but I was talking about getting into the same company after mba.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [2]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance (Corp Fin, Financial Instruments)
Schools:NYU Stern 2009
Send PM
Kudos
One man's pleasure is another man's poison, pkit.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Concentration: Gen
Schools:NYU Stern Class of 2013
GPA: 3.5
WE 1: 3yrs FINANCE
Send PM
Pkit wrote:
greentea wrote:

I am not from investment banking or consulting.

:lol: lol I am not HR. :lol: :lol: I am not interested in HR. Don 't use assumptions outside of argument.

Quote:

Yes, it true, but I was talking about getting into the same company after mba.

dont get assumptions confused with EXAMPLES of possible scenarios where someone would choose to go back to the same company
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Schools:Wharton (summer WL), Georgetown(a), NYU (attending!)
Send PM
Joining the class of 2013, here's my story

waitlist - march 22
invite to interview - April 29
interview - May 12
admitted - May 16

Didn't send in any extra info after being waitlisted!

Can't wait to start meeting everyone!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Schools:Ross
 Q50  V38
WE 1: Consultant
Send PM
3underscore wrote:
One man's pleasure is another man's poison, pkit.

Love this quote. Or rather, I would say one's man's meat is another man's poison. :lol:
Intern
Intern
Send PM
i'll take pleasure over meat most days... :-D
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  104   105   106   107   108   109   110   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert