Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Sep 2014, 11:36

Happy Labor Day:

Free Access to New GMATClub Tests for all GMATClub Members!!

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling All NYU Stern Fall 2011 Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling All NYU Stern Fall 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 May 2011, 07:38
C20 wrote:
okay so i got WLd without an interview...did some networking, updated my resume, and sent a letter yetserday. Do you think this will help me? Or do you think I'm screwed w/o that interview

For what it's worth, when I interviewed, my interviewer said that nobody gets admitted w/o being interviewed. Hopefully the new info you provided to Stern leads to them inviting you for an interview. Good luck!
Intern
Intern
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 5

Re: Calling All NYU Stern Fall 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 09 May 2011, 00:48
mbalady2010 wrote:
Has any of the international students who filed the AFCOE received his/her DS-2019/I-20 yet? I filed the AFCOE and all the other related documents about 6 weeks ago and still haven't heard from the OISS.

Thanks and congrats to all fellow admits!

Re-popping the question: any other OISS-waiting people out there?
Intern
Intern
Schools: Stern

Re: Calling All NYU Stern Fall 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 09 May 2011, 12:53
mbalady2010 wrote:
mbalady2010 wrote:
Has any of the international students who filed the AFCOE received his/her DS-2019/I-20 yet? I filed the AFCOE and all the other related documents about 6 weeks ago and still haven't heard from the OISS.

Thanks and congrats to all fellow admits!

Re-popping the question: any other OISS-waiting people out there?

4 weeks and counting for me....was thinking of writing to them today.
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling All NYU Stern Fall 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 10 May 2011, 09:04
Thank you saahilsajnani for the response :)
I actually contacted the OISS a few weeks ago and was told that the processing of requests is longer this year due to a switch to a new database system. I just wish I knew when to expect the form - it's been more than 7 weeks now.
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling All NYU Stern Fall 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 10 May 2011, 12:24
For reference, since I appreciate when people post status updates:

Rejected today without interview (applied 3rd round) - 770 GMAT, 3.2 undergrad GPA from a top U.S. public university.

Will probably try again (earlier) next year and focus more on the essay. Good luck to everyone. This board has been very helpful.
Intern
Intern
Schools: Stern, Wharton, CBS

Re: Calling All NYU Stern Fall 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 11 May 2011, 09:18
invited to interview today after being w/l w/o int. very excited! only two slots were open though.
Current Student
Schools: UCLA Anderson (IN!!), NYU Stern (IN!!), MIT (R1 Ding), Columbia (RD Ding)

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling All NYU Stern Fall 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 11 May 2011, 13:32
solaris1 wrote:
In case you guys are interested about recruiting stats, the Stern MBA Class of 2011 is about a week away from graduation. 73% of us already have secured at least one offer. This number may be a bit higher because I know some of us simply haven't reported offers to the career development folks.

And to give you some further food for thought, here are the top 20 recruiters of Stern MBAs (offered and accepted) from the Class of 2011. I'm not including specific numbers, but these 20 recruiters hired about 35% of our class.

1. American Express
2. Citi
3. Deloitte Consulting
4. Deutsche Bank
5. Bank of America Merrill Lynch
6. Barclays Capital Group
7. JPMorgan
8. McKinsey & Company, Inc.
9. Credit Suisse
10. Goldman, Sachs & Co.
11. IBM
12. PricewaterhouseCoopers
13. UBS
14. Accenture
15. Booz & Company
16. Boston Consulting Group
17. Morgan Stanley
18. Federal Reserve Bank of NY
19. Johnson & Johnson
20. Kraft Foods

Thanks!! Are these companies in any order?
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling All NYU Stern Fall 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 11 May 2011, 17:35
slwager wrote:
invited to interview today after being w/l w/o int. very excited! only two slots were open though.

Congratulations! Having only been interviewed and accepted after first being waitlisted, I know how excited you must be. I do think that receiving an invite at this late stage is a very good sign-- they are not going to waste their time interviewing someone that they don't want to admit. Know Stern and your application well, and think of anecdotes that can be used to illustrate your personal development and career aspirations. Other than that, have confidence, and good luck!
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling All NYU Stern Fall 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 11 May 2011, 17:50
upInTheAir wrote:
solaris1 wrote:
In case you guys are interested about recruiting stats, the Stern MBA Class of 2011 is about a week away from graduation. 73% of us already have secured at least one offer. This number may be a bit higher because I know some of us simply haven't reported offers to the career development folks.

And to give you some further food for thought, here are the top 20 recruiters of Stern MBAs (offered and accepted) from the Class of 2011. I'm not including specific numbers, but these 20 recruiters hired about 35% of our class.

1. American Express
2. Citi
3. Deloitte Consulting
4. Deutsche Bank
7. JPMorgan
9. Credit Suisse
10. Goldman, Sachs & Co.
11. IBM
13. UBS
14. Accenture
15. Booz & Company
17. Morgan Stanley
19. Johnson & Johnson
20. Kraft Foods

Thanks!! Are these companies in any order?

I would assume they go from most placements to least, as they are not in alphabetical order nor organized by industry, but I'm not sure. I would also be curious to know if the 73% figure is something that the current students consider to be high or low at this stage of the process given the fact that this class's recruitment was affected by the recession.
SVP
SVP
Schools: NYU Stern '11
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 205 [0], given: 22

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling All NYU Stern Fall 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 11 May 2011, 18:48
Yes, American Express hired the most MBAs, Citi the next highest and so on.

The 73% figure is apparently an improvement of nearly 11% from the same time last year, so any effect the recession may have had has been significantly lower than in the last couple of years. Last year's class had 79% of all students reporting receiving an offer by graduation, so if that 11 point difference holds, we should be up to 84% by the end of the next two weeks. I think it's actually a decent showing, given that there's a couple more weeks for folks to receive/report offers and usually there's a fair chunk of people in the class who are starting their own businesses or returning to family businesses and do not recruit for full-time positions at all. Then there are others (primarily the PE/VC/Media & Entertainment types) who are more narrowly focused on what they want to do and will only receive offers by the end of the summer.

terra99pin wrote:
I would assume they go from most placements to least, as they are not in alphabetical order nor organized by industry, but I'm not sure. I would also be curious to know if the 73% figure is something that the current students consider to be high or low at this stage of the process given the fact that this class's recruitment was affected by the recession.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling All NYU Stern Fall 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 16 May 2011, 07:58
any updates on OISS apps? I sent my application about 4 weeks ago and so far nothing
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling All NYU Stern Fall 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 16 May 2011, 08:19
Quote:
any updates on OISS apps? I sent my application about 4 weeks ago and so far nothing

i don't understand why you guys just don't contact the office. everyone will have a different immigration profile so the time processing will always be different.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling All NYU Stern Fall 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 16 May 2011, 08:22
I will contact the office eventually but the email they sent explicitly told not to call or email them..
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling All NYU Stern Fall 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 16 May 2011, 09:53
itsallwrong wrote:
Quote:

i don't understand why you guys just don't contact the office. everyone will have a different immigration profile so the time processing will always be different.

I did contact them several times during the past 2 months. I keep getting the same informative response - "your form will be issued shortly".

Anyway since I really have to buy a plane ticket already if I want to preserve a plane seat on the busy July-August seasons- I'm wondering if anyone knows what is the official date that would be written on our I-20? I know that there is a 30-day limitation entry and I want to make sure I buy a ticket that fits the 30-day limit.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling All NYU Stern Fall 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 17 May 2011, 13:57
Solaris1, I'm going to be entering Stern in the fall and wanted to see if I can ask you more about the recruitment there. I couldn't find a way to pm you, but let me know if you have some time to talk about it offline.

solaris1 wrote:

1. American Express
2. Citi
3. Deloitte Consulting
4. Deutsche Bank
7. JPMorgan
9. Credit Suisse
10. Goldman, Sachs & Co.
11. IBM
13. UBS
14. Accenture
15. Booz & Company
17. Morgan Stanley
19. Johnson & Johnson
20. Kraft Foods
VP
VP
Schools: NYU Stern 2009
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 218 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling All NYU Stern Fall 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 17 May 2011, 19:16
You might as well ask it here. He will be busy this week - he is graduating and then starting work a month later, so probably going round the world.

I am surprised about #2 on that list. There must be a stack-load of marketers and general finance management folk arriving in LIC.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling All NYU Stern Fall 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 18 May 2011, 04:56
solaris1 wrote:
Yes, American Express hired the most MBAs, Citi the next highest and so on.

The 73% figure is apparently an improvement of nearly 11% from the same time last year, so any effect the recession may have had has been significantly lower than in the last couple of years. Last year's class had 79% of all students reporting receiving an offer by graduation, so if that 11 point difference holds, we should be up to 84% by the end of the next two weeks. I think it's actually a decent showing, given that there's a couple more weeks for folks to receive/report offers and usually there's a fair chunk of people in the class who are starting their own businesses or returning to family businesses and do not recruit for full-time positions at all. Then there are others (primarily the PE/VC/Media & Entertainment types) who are more narrowly focused on what they want to do and will only receive offers by the end of the summer.

I was wondering how many of these 73% are international students, who require visa sponsorship in order to work full-time. I am particularly interested how the major banks look at this issue - do they make the effort and recruit international students, or do they generally prefer U.S. citizens/residents? How many international students did Citi, Deutsche, ML etc recruit?
Manager
Manager
Schools: NYU Stern Class of 2013
WE 1: 3yrs FINANCE

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling All NYU Stern Fall 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 19 May 2011, 12:36
Pkit wrote:
do you guys (those who have not been accepted to top school) are working in one of the companies mntioned above?
If yes, why you need an mba degree if you are working there?

I found in this list two companies in which I worked before, and would not go there after gradution.
I am questioning a situation when one being employed at one of those companies is dreaming about MBA and then goes to one of the companies above to a position which he/she would achieve in two years.

p.s. by the way I hav received admission decision a week ago! for my application submitted in R2.

Well in investment banking and consulting its almost expected that you get an mba after 2-3years. Some firms will pay for your MBA if your goal is to come back to the firm at a higher level.

That would be one reason. Or maybe you work in HR at a firm and you want to get into investment banking at the same firm?

Most people getting their MBA are looking to switch careers/firms.
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: Q V
GMAT 2: 690 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.77
WE: Corporate Finance (Other)
Followers: 152

Kudos [?]: 501 [0], given: 527

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Calling All NYU Stern Fall 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 19 May 2011, 18:45
greentea wrote:

Well in investment banking and consulting its almost expected that you get an mba after 2-3years. Some firms will pay for your MBA if your goal is to come back to the firm at a higher level.

That would be one reason. Or maybe you work in HR at a firm and you want to get into investment banking at the same firm?

I am not from investment banking or consulting.

:lol: lol I am not HR. :lol: :lol: I am not interested in HR. Don 't use assumptions outside of argument.

Quote:

Yes, it true, but I was talking about getting into the same company after mba.

Follow me, if you find my explanations useful.

Audaces fortuna juvat!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Schools: NYU Stern Class of 2013
WE 1: 3yrs FINANCE

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling All NYU Stern Fall 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 May 2011, 04:59
Pkit wrote:
greentea wrote:

I am not from investment banking or consulting.

:lol: lol I am not HR. :lol: :lol: I am not interested in HR. Don 't use assumptions outside of argument.

Quote:

Yes, it true, but I was talking about getting into the same company after mba.

dont get assumptions confused with EXAMPLES of possible scenarios where someone would choose to go back to the same company
Re: Calling All NYU Stern Fall 2011 Applicants   [#permalink] 20 May 2011, 04:59