Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Jul 2014, 22:30

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling All NYU Stern Fall 2011 Applicants

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 22 Jun 2009
Posts: 302
Location: United States
Concentration: Strategy, Healthcare
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 62 [0], given: 288

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling All NYU Stern Fall 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 15 Sep 2010, 07:55
brainhurt wrote:
w103psp wrote:

Good attendance at the session last night. My biggest takeaway from the session was that NYU Stern has rolling admissions. I don't think this is mentioned anywhere on their website! If you apply early, you may hear back earlier than the February 15th Initial Notification date.

The other thing of importance: the interview is not blind; the interviewer has read your application and the adcom director advised applicants to re-read their essays before an interview.

bluecollarhero, anything else stood out for you?


I don't think they have rolling admissions in the true sense of the term. As I understand from the info sessions I attended, they don't look at any applications prior to the Nov. 15 deadline. However, you're right the notification deadline of Feb. 15 is the latest you will find out.

In rolling admissions (e.g., CBS) they typically evaluate applications as they are received.


Hmm, I got a completely different impression then. From what I understood, they start looking at the applications as soon as it's submitted and complete! I'll email the director and ask for clarification.

_________________

All's well that ends well...

GMAT debrief

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 23 Aug 2010
Posts: 56
Location: Boston, MA
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling All NYU Stern Fall 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 15 Sep 2010, 08:00
[/quote]

Good attendance at the session last night. My biggest takeaway from the session was that NYU Stern has rolling admissions. I don't think this is mentioned anywhere on their website! If you apply early, you may hear back earlier than the February 15th Initial Notification date.

The other thing of importance: the interview is not blind; the interviewer has read your application and the adcom director advised applicants to re-read their essays before an interview.

bluecollarhero, anything else stood out for you?[/quote]

I stood around and spoke to Heather Daly after the end of the session. I asked her to clarify what she meant when she said rolling deadline and it is not what you think. Basically, you need to have everything completed for Nov 15th to be considered for R1, and you will receive initial notification by Feb 15th. However, you can get pushed into R2 if your application is missing something. Also, by rolling I think sje meant that if you apply to R1, Feb 15 you get initial notification (IV, waitlist, denied), however if you get an IV then your process is pushed and you may get notified of overall decision when R2 deadline has passed. It was a bit confusing but it is definitely not like Columbia's rolling admission, where they are looking at things FIFO. Hope this makes sense.

You did not happen to win one of those prized did you?
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 22 Jun 2009
Posts: 302
Location: United States
Concentration: Strategy, Healthcare
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 62 [0], given: 288

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling All NYU Stern Fall 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 15 Sep 2010, 08:04
bluecollarhero wrote:


Good attendance at the session last night. My biggest takeaway from the session was that NYU Stern has rolling admissions. I don't think this is mentioned anywhere on their website! If you apply early, you may hear back earlier than the February 15th Initial Notification date.

The other thing of importance: the interview is not blind; the interviewer has read your application and the adcom director advised applicants to re-read their essays before an interview.

bluecollarhero, anything else stood out for you?[/quote]

I stood around and spoke to Heather Daly after the end of the session. I asked her to clarify what she meant when she said rolling deadline and it is not what you think. Basically, you need to have everything completed for Nov 15th to be considered for R1, and you will receive initial notification by Feb 15th. However, you can get pushed into R2 if your application is missing something. Also, by rolling I think sje meant that if you apply to R1, Feb 15 you get initial notification (IV, waitlist, denied), however if you get an IV then your process is pushed and you may get notified of overall decision when R2 deadline has passed. It was a bit confusing but it is definitely not like Columbia's rolling admission, where they are looking at things FIFO. Hope this makes sense.

You did not happen to win one of those prized did you?[/quote]

I wish! I was sitting right behind the guy who won! :( Hmm, very interesting. So then there's really no benefit to submitting before the deadline (assuming it's complete).

_________________

All's well that ends well...

GMAT debrief

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 23 Aug 2010
Posts: 56
Location: Boston, MA
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling All NYU Stern Fall 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 15 Sep 2010, 08:16
w103psp wrote:
bluecollarhero wrote:


Good attendance at the session last night. My biggest takeaway from the session was that NYU Stern has rolling admissions. I don't think this is mentioned anywhere on their website! If you apply early, you may hear back earlier than the February 15th Initial Notification date.

The other thing of importance: the interview is not blind; the interviewer has read your application and the adcom director advised applicants to re-read their essays before an interview.

bluecollarhero, anything else stood out for you?


I stood around and spoke to Heather Daly after the end of the session. I asked her to clarify what she meant when she said rolling deadline and it is not what you think. Basically, you need to have everything completed for Nov 15th to be considered for R1, and you will receive initial notification by Feb 15th. However, you can get pushed into R2 if your application is missing something. Also, by rolling I think sje meant that if you apply to R1, Feb 15 you get initial notification (IV, waitlist, denied), however if you get an IV then your process is pushed and you may get notified of overall decision when R2 deadline has passed. It was a bit confusing but it is definitely not like Columbia's rolling admission, where they are looking at things FIFO. Hope this makes sense.

You did not happen to win one of those prized did you?[/quote]

I wish! I was sitting right behind the guy who won! :( Hmm, very interesting. So then there's really no benefit to submitting before the deadline (assuming it's complete).[/quote]

Yeah she told me that a few people have already submitted their application but they won't look at them till Nov 16th. Also, she said though they look at stuff FIFO...that changes really quickly as some people re-take the GMAT or add a 4th essays....so its seems like if you have your application done and change anything (new GMAT or essay 4)..you get moved to teh back of the pile. Which leads to me to believe that there maybe benefit of applying before end of deadline...but for R2...not necessarily R1 when the field is wide open.

Also, what did you think of the alumni's in attendance last night?
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 31 May 2010
Posts: 587
Location: United States (NY)
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
GPA: 3.14
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 87 [0], given: 57

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling All NYU Stern Fall 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 15 Sep 2010, 09:45
bluecollarhero wrote:
I stood around and spoke to Heather Daly after the end of the session. I asked her to clarify what she meant when she said rolling deadline and it is not what you think. Basically, you need to have everything completed for Nov 15th to be considered for R1, and you will receive initial notification by Feb 15th. However, you can get pushed into R2 if your application is missing something. Also, by rolling I think sje meant that if you apply to R1, Feb 15 you get initial notification (IV, waitlist, denied), however if you get an IV then your process is pushed and you may get notified of overall decision when R2 deadline has passed. It was a bit confusing but it is definitely not like Columbia's rolling admission, where they are looking at things FIFO. Hope this makes sense.


That's the message I got too. The one thing I would add is that the guy who gave my info session gave the impression that while you could receive your initial decision as late as Feb. 15 and your final decision could be deferred to after the R2 deadline, it would be more likely to happen earlier (except for waitlist, of course).

That was just my read of it though.

_________________

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 22 Jun 2009
Posts: 302
Location: United States
Concentration: Strategy, Healthcare
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 62 [0], given: 288

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling All NYU Stern Fall 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 15 Sep 2010, 09:49
bluecollarhero wrote:
w103psp wrote:
bluecollarhero wrote:


Good attendance at the session last night. My biggest takeaway from the session was that NYU Stern has rolling admissions. I don't think this is mentioned anywhere on their website! If you apply early, you may hear back earlier than the February 15th Initial Notification date.

The other thing of importance: the interview is not blind; the interviewer has read your application and the adcom director advised applicants to re-read their essays before an interview.

bluecollarhero, anything else stood out for you?


I stood around and spoke to Heather Daly after the end of the session. I asked her to clarify what she meant when she said rolling deadline and it is not what you think. Basically, you need to have everything completed for Nov 15th to be considered for R1, and you will receive initial notification by Feb 15th. However, you can get pushed into R2 if your application is missing something. Also, by rolling I think sje meant that if you apply to R1, Feb 15 you get initial notification (IV, waitlist, denied), however if you get an IV then your process is pushed and you may get notified of overall decision when R2 deadline has passed. It was a bit confusing but it is definitely not like Columbia's rolling admission, where they are looking at things FIFO. Hope this makes sense.

You did not happen to win one of those prized did you?


I wish! I was sitting right behind the guy who won! :( Hmm, very interesting. So then there's really no benefit to submitting before the deadline (assuming it's complete).[/quote]

Yeah she told me that a few people have already submitted their application but they won't look at them till Nov 16th. Also, she said though they look at stuff FIFO...that changes really quickly as some people re-take the GMAT or add a 4th essays....so its seems like if you have your application done and change anything (new GMAT or essay 4)..you get moved to teh back of the pile. Which leads to me to believe that there maybe benefit of applying before end of deadline...but for R2...not necessarily R1 when the field is wide open.

Also, what did you think of the alumni's in attendance last night?[/quote]

Hmm, thanks for the clarification. I spoke with only one alumni, the equity researcher, and we discussed more about career switching that about Stern. What did you think?

_________________

All's well that ends well...

GMAT debrief

Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 31 May 2010
Posts: 587
Location: United States (NY)
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
GPA: 3.14
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 87 [0], given: 57

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling All NYU Stern Fall 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 15 Sep 2010, 12:31
What kind of prizes did they give out? We didn't get prizes at the on campus info session, wtf??? ;)

Posted from my mobile device Image

_________________

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 23 Aug 2010
Posts: 56
Location: Boston, MA
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling All NYU Stern Fall 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 15 Sep 2010, 12:35
brainhurt wrote:
What kind of prizes did they give out? We didn't get prizes at the on campus info session, wtf??? ;)

Posted from my mobile device Image


The candidates application fee for applying to NYU was waived ($215)....pretty sweet and a creative prize if you ask me.
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 22 Jun 2009
Posts: 302
Location: United States
Concentration: Strategy, Healthcare
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 62 [0], given: 288

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling All NYU Stern Fall 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 15 Sep 2010, 12:37
bluecollarhero wrote:
brainhurt wrote:
What kind of prizes did they give out? We didn't get prizes at the on campus info session, wtf??? ;)

Posted from my mobile device Image


The candidates application fee for applying to NYU was waived ($215)....pretty sweet and a creative prize if you ask me.

Indeed. I just hope the 2 winners end up using it!

_________________

All's well that ends well...

GMAT debrief

Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 31 May 2010
Posts: 587
Location: United States (NY)
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
GPA: 3.14
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 87 [0], given: 57

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling All NYU Stern Fall 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 15 Sep 2010, 12:53
Well that settles it, I'm going to the Toronto info session (even though I've been to campus twice)!

Posted from my mobile device Image

_________________

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Current Student
avatar
Joined: 06 Oct 2009
Posts: 594
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 295

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling All NYU Stern Fall 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 15 Sep 2010, 12:59
brainhurt wrote:
Well that settles it, I'm going to the Toronto info session (even though I've been to campus twice)!

Posted from my mobile device Image


I traveled from out of town and been to two info-sessions on campus, but no rewards were given. :'-(
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 06 Oct 2009
Posts: 594
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 295

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling All NYU Stern Fall 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 17 Sep 2010, 09:23
Gacarva wrote:
w103psp wrote:
I emailed and asked adcom for clarification regarding rolling admissions and here is the answer:

We understand that sorting out the different schools’ processes can be confusing. At Stern, we typically do not begin reviewing applications or sending application acknowledgments until the first (November 15th) deadline. Once we begin reviewing applications, notifications are rolling, meaning that the applicant could receive a notification at any time. If the application was complete and submitted on or before the deadline, the applicant will receive notification on or any time before the notification date for that deadline. If the application is incomplete, we cannot guarantee that applicants will be notified by the notification deadline.


Thanks for posting the answer..... +1


So is there any incentive for us to submit before November 15th? From the above message, is it safe to assume that we should use all of our time to make sure the application is the best it can be and submit by November 15th?
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 22 Jun 2009
Posts: 302
Location: United States
Concentration: Strategy, Healthcare
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 62 [0], given: 288

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling All NYU Stern Fall 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 17 Sep 2010, 09:39
gkumar wrote:
Gacarva wrote:
w103psp wrote:
I emailed and asked adcom for clarification regarding rolling admissions and here is the answer:

We understand that sorting out the different schools’ processes can be confusing. At Stern, we typically do not begin reviewing applications or sending application acknowledgments until the first (November 15th) deadline. Once we begin reviewing applications, notifications are rolling, meaning that the applicant could receive a notification at any time. If the application was complete and submitted on or before the deadline, the applicant will receive notification on or any time before the notification date for that deadline. If the application is incomplete, we cannot guarantee that applicants will be notified by the notification deadline.


Thanks for posting the answer..... +1


So is there any incentive for us to submit before November 15th? From the above message, is it safe to assume that we should use all of our time to make sure the application is the best it can be and submit by November 15th?


Good question and I think submitting a couple of days in advance may allow us to ensure application is complete. My nightmare is I hit submit a few hours before deadline and I'm missing an important piece!

_________________

All's well that ends well...

GMAT debrief

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 17 May 2010
Posts: 301
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 7

Re: Calling All NYU Stern Fall 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Sep 2010, 13:25
brainhurt wrote:
Well that settles it, I'm going to the Toronto info session (even though I've been to campus twice)!

Posted from my mobile device Image


Me too. Good to see another GMATCluber at the session. Do you want to meet up or something?

_________________

If you like my post, consider giving me KUDOS!

Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 31 May 2010
Posts: 587
Location: United States (NY)
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
GPA: 3.14
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 87 [0], given: 57

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling All NYU Stern Fall 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Sep 2010, 18:51
gijoedude wrote:
brainhurt wrote:
Well that settles it, I'm going to the Toronto info session (even though I've been to campus twice)!

Posted from my mobile device Image


Me too. Good to see another GMATCluber at the session. Do you want to meet up or something?


Damn, just saw this. What did you think of the info session? The second person who won the application fee waiver was talking to the adcom afterwards and it turns out that she's not applying until 2012, so she can't use the waiver. I was going to offer her $50 for it, but I couldn't find her again. :x

_________________

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 31 May 2010
Posts: 587
Location: United States (NY)
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
GPA: 3.14
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 87 [0], given: 57

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling All NYU Stern Fall 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Sep 2010, 18:53
gkumar wrote:
So is there any incentive for us to submit before November 15th? From the above message, is it safe to assume that we should use all of our time to make sure the application is the best it can be and submit by November 15th?


Just to add my $0.02, I asked this question at the info session tonight and the answer was that there is no advantage to applying prior to the deadline.

_________________

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 11 Dec 2006
Posts: 1430
Location: New York, NY
Schools: NYU Stern 2009
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 218 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling All NYU Stern Fall 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 21 Sep 2010, 06:53
The earlier you submit, the earlier your application is likely to go complete (all the bits gathered together in the same file). The sooner that happens, the sooner it can be reviewed.

Ergo, getting things sorted earlier means it can be reviewed at the soonest opportunity. Submitting 15 Nov is unlikely to get put together before a couple of weeks have passed (dependent on a ridiculous number of variables I can't care to mention).

So... yes, there is an advantage of a shape or form.

_________________

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Current Student
avatar
Joined: 06 Oct 2009
Posts: 594
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 295

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling All NYU Stern Fall 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 21 Sep 2010, 06:58
3underscore wrote:
The earlier you submit, the earlier your application is likely to go complete (all the bits gathered together in the same file). The sooner that happens, the sooner it can be reviewed.

Ergo, getting things sorted earlier means it can be reviewed at the soonest opportunity. Submitting 15 Nov is unlikely to get put together before a couple of weeks have passed (dependent on a ridiculous number of variables I can't care to mention).

So... yes, there is an advantage of a shape or form.


I am amused by how the AdCom people give politically correct answers, which contrast directly against current students and alumni's answers that Adcom wouldn't normally say and are seemingly more useful. :rotate
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 11 Dec 2006
Posts: 1430
Location: New York, NY
Schools: NYU Stern 2009
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 218 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling All NYU Stern Fall 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 21 Sep 2010, 09:30
It is because they can't make outright statements as there are always exceptions to the broad-base rules. They are highly aware of the sensitivity of candidates to decide their application is dead or missing or somehow doing something odd when it is simply a function of the volume they deal with.

Meantime, Soly and I can speak in broad based generalizations as they help, but we would never be held accountable.

_________________

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 17 May 2010
Posts: 301
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 7

Re: Calling All NYU Stern Fall 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 21 Sep 2010, 19:25
brainhurt wrote:
gijoedude wrote:
brainhurt wrote:
Well that settles it, I'm going to the Toronto info session (even though I've been to campus twice)!

Posted from my mobile device Image


Me too. Good to see another GMATCluber at the session. Do you want to meet up or something?


Damn, just saw this. What did you think of the info session? The second person who won the application fee waiver was talking to the adcom afterwards and it turns out that she's not applying until 2012, so she can't use the waiver. I was going to offer her $50 for it, but I couldn't find her again. :x


I think the info session was alright. I was quite surprised that the room was full. I thought I was the only guy from Toronto who was applying :P . Presentation was just the standard right out of the brochure stuff. But what really helped was talking to the alumni. One alum was a director at TD so I asked him a few questions I had about i-banking. The other guy alum had a low GMAT (low 600s) and he got in so yea there is hope for people out there with low GMATs!!

Oh yea lol that girl left pretty soon I think. I hope she gave it to someone who was applying this year!

Btw did you see they had MLB as a recruiter. Wow!! That is so freakin awesome!

PS: You planning to go to any more info-sessions for other schools??

_________________

If you like my post, consider giving me KUDOS!

Re: Calling All NYU Stern Fall 2011 Applicants   [#permalink] 21 Sep 2010, 19:25
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
186 Experts publish their posts in the topic Calling All NYU Stern Fall 2011 Applicants SalarymanJ 2195 02 Jul 2010, 08:09
Calling All NYU Stern Fall 2012 Waitlisters!! Wolverinemba 3 26 Feb 2012, 22:36
Calling All NYU Stern Fall 2011 Applicants-CONSORTIUM chcarvajal 1 27 Jan 2011, 18:20
14 Calling All NYU Stern Fall 2011 Waitlisters!! brainhurt 246 11 Jan 2011, 10:39
Calling all NYU Stern applications... lanter1 46 20 Aug 2007, 12:32
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Calling All NYU Stern Fall 2011 Applicants

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  10   11   12   13   14  ...  110    Next  [ 2196 posts ] 



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.