Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 16:36

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling All NYU Stern Fall 2011 Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Schools: NYU Stern 2009
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 218 [1] , given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling All NYU Stern Fall 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 03 Jan 2011, 14:06
This post received
KUDOS
rouzbie wrote:
3underscore wrote:
Thanks for your input on this. I am hanging onto a line you posted above (in bold).

In the past I have been pretty upfront during job interviews - asking questions like, "What weaknesses do you think I have?" and "Is there anything holding you back from offering me the job?", so that I can address any issues the interviewer may have with my candidacy.

Is this approach too direct for an MBA interview? Looking at the your comment (in bold) I think it's fine, but I wanted to get your opinion.

Thanks!

I wouldn't be so pushy - it won't be that style of interview. It is more that you should think about the question. some you can prepare for, but you need to think what they are looking for in you. The interview may be used to address some concerns with the application, or may just be a check that you have a head.

Remember that Stern, and nearly all business schools, pride themselves on a sense of community and a level of teamwork. Sure, you are expected to be driven, but I would be wary of coming across aggressive. In fact, I think that would be quite bad (personal opinion based on my own style perhaps). Just read how the interview is going - it is most likely going to be aimed at making you comfortable for a chat, not testing you.

My comment about the place being there is more factual. You get an interview with a view to admittance. At Stern, it is more direct - rather than being compared against the whole group in one big admission decision, the rolling basis puts it much more on you and how suited you are to be offered a place. If that makes sense.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Affiliations: VFW, Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans of America, West Point Association of Graduates
Schools: Wharton Class of 2013
WE 1: Army Ranger / Infantry Platoon Leader Operation Iraqi Freedom (2 yrs)
WE 2: Company Executive Officer (1 yr)
WE 3: Company Commander (2 yrs)
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 63 [1] , given: 75

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling All NYU Stern Fall 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 05 Jan 2011, 11:05
This post received
KUDOS
thanks everyone, still a long way to go, but def happy about this
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Affiliations: VFW, Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans of America, West Point Association of Graduates
Schools: Wharton Class of 2013
WE 1: Army Ranger / Infantry Platoon Leader Operation Iraqi Freedom (2 yrs)
WE 2: Company Executive Officer (1 yr)
WE 3: Company Commander (2 yrs)
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 63 [1] , given: 75

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling All NYU Stern Fall 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 05 Jan 2011, 11:13
This post received
KUDOS
josiebella wrote:
wp06 wrote:
thanks everyone, still a long way to go, but def happy about this

congrats! welcome to pre-interview jitters. :)

i know its sad to me ive been in war and im nervous about being asked to articulate some goals and talk about myself where there is no wrong answer as long as i am confident, look the person in the eye, and answer honestly and coherently

but yet the nerves continue, here's to mba insanity
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: Booth, Stern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 8

Re: Calling All NYU Stern Fall 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 05 Jan 2011, 13:17
This post received
KUDOS
Just got accepted!! No email tho so that was bizarre. My gf checked and I found out via her text.

Posted from my mobile device Image
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: CFA
Schools: Columbia Business School '13

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 1

Re: Calling All NYU Stern Fall 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 05 Jan 2011, 14:31
This post received
KUDOS
3 weeks to the day post interview and got the email this afternoon. I'm in. Good luck everybody.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 2

Re: Calling All NYU Stern Fall 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 05 Jan 2011, 14:34
This post received
KUDOS
Hey Everyone,

I've been stalking this forum for a few weeks now because I've been anxious to hear from Stern myself and I was getting nervous. I just got an acceptance at 5PM. Since this forum was so helpful for my I feel compelled to let everyone else who may be on the edge of their seats (like I was) know how long my answer took.

I interviewed on 12/21. 730 GMAT, 5 years work experience in finance, US resident. I received an e-mail right at 5PM telling me that my status had changed.

Best of luck to everyone else, I know the wait is brutal.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: Columbia (WL), Stern (admit), Fuqua (admit), Kenan-Flagler (admit - $$$)
WE 1: boutique i bank
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling All NYU Stern Fall 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 05 Jan 2011, 16:05
This post received
KUDOS
I got accepted as well! Got an email at about 5PM. Couldn't be happier!

My interview was on 12/16. Good luck to those that are still waiting!
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: NYU

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling All NYU Stern Fall 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 06 Jan 2011, 09:40
This post received
KUDOS
Got accepted to Stern yesterday - I was among those 5pm EST emails. Timeline:

Submit: 11/14
Int Invite: 12/6
Interview: 12/16
Accepted: 1/5

Congrats to all who've been accepted and best of luck to everyone applying/waiting.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 9 [1] , given: 2

Re: Calling All NYU Stern Fall 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 06 Jan 2011, 12:45
This post received
KUDOS
mamboman56 wrote:
Got accepted to Stern yesterday - I was among those 5pm EST emails. Timeline:

Submit: 11/14
Int Invite: 12/6
Interview: 12/16
Accepted: 1/5

Congrats to all who've been accepted and best of luck to everyone applying/waiting.

Got admitted as well. Very happy. My timeline is similar to yours.

http://justship.wordpress.com

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: CBS Class of 2013
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 15 [1] , given: 7

Re: Calling All NYU Stern Fall 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2011, 11:08
This post received
KUDOS
noclue9454 wrote:
Hi all!

This thread (and GMAT Club) has been my anchor while everything else is so much in limbo. I am a frequent visitor (and reader), sparse poster as I am usually tangled up at work! I appreciate everyone for all the information shared and congrats to those admitted.

I got my interview invite last week and am interviewing in two weeks. I know that NYU is not a blind interview and they've read and know everything about you.

So my question is this - how do you go beyond the text in your essays? Especially for the why NYU part? I exhausted most of my sources and information to answer the Why NYU question so how do I approach this question when asked it again in-person?

For those curious:

Applied: 11/14/10
Interview Invite: 1/5/11

Don't worry, they know you exhausted your research for that essay. In an interview, what you say is almost less important than how you say it. It is ok to say some of the same things you mentioned in the essay, but just really convey the enthusiasm that only a face-to-face interaction can. I just had my interview today, and the guy really wasn't probing. I reiterated some of the stuff I talked about in my essay, and he didn't give me any kind of "bored" feeling. I of course also looked at the website to add some more details but...I wouldnt worry about it too too much.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: Q V
GPA: 3.8
WE: Consulting (Energy and Utilities)

Kudos [?]: 8 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling All NYU Stern Fall 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2011, 12:07
This post received
KUDOS
My speculation running wild - Guess that's why NYU has the longest waiting time (3 months) after deadline in order to select applicants from Rd 2 before rejecting applicants from Rd 1....
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: Q V
GPA: 3.8
WE: Consulting (Energy and Utilities)

Kudos [?]: 8 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling All NYU Stern Fall 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2011, 13:13
This post received
KUDOS
Good luck to W/L'ers. I know its a "slow poison"......
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
GPA: 3.14
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 87 [1] , given: 57

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling All NYU Stern Fall 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2011, 14:08
This post received
KUDOS
wmcrockett wrote:
Anyone have any insight about Stern's waitlist process and/or if there's ever any movement off it?

The WL definitely sucks (I'm on Yale's so I can relate) but there is hope. From last year's R1 roll call:

Crashing - Applying | Waitlisted (w/out Int) 1/06 | Interview 2/25 | Admitted 4/2
papito - Applying | Waitlisted (w/out Int) | Interview 3/4
Pook - Applying | Waitlisted (w/out Int) 1/08 | Admitted 6/01

The best story, though, was PRtoMBA. Check out his post history here. In short, he was WL'd at Wharton then dinged, then WL'd at CBS and Stern. Then on July 26th he got an acceptance from Stern. He called CBS to ask for a decision in light of his Stern acceptance, and CBS accepted him the next day.

Rare occurances, to be sure, but you just never know.

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [1] , given: 1

Re: Calling All NYU Stern Fall 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2011, 18:30
This post received
KUDOS
No idea how many were accepted after waitlisting...
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling All NYU Stern Fall 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 11 Jan 2011, 03:34
This post received
KUDOS
Andoverjon wrote:
Any people accepted on 1/5 receive a call from Stern?

I just received a typical email saying to check my status.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
GPA: 3.14
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 87 [1] , given: 57

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling All NYU Stern Fall 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 11 Jan 2011, 10:40
This post received
KUDOS
bayareaCFA wrote:
Seems like a lot of WL folks in here...

True. I took the liberty of starting a Stern WL thread: calling-all-nyu-stern-fall-2011-waitlisters-107660.html

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling All NYU Stern Fall 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 11 Jan 2011, 19:38
This post received
KUDOS
Long time lurker.

I find waiting for 3 months for NYU to be entirely agonizing. Most the other schools, Columbia, Chicago, Wharton tell you within 1.5 months whether you're in, out, or waitlisted.

NYU makes the rejects wait 3 months before they find out, thereby inhibiting their ability to work on other applications because so much mental energy is devoted to obsessing about Stern.

I think it's safe to say that they picked out the bunch they wanted in December and 1st week of January, 2nd week of January is reserved for waitlists, and with the R2 deadline this Saturday, I think it's safe to say if you don't hear anything this week, consider yourself a gonner.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 4 [1] , given: 3

Re: Calling All NYU Stern Fall 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Jan 2011, 10:32
This post received
KUDOS
doolittle wrote:
Guys, I've asked about this before but I'm still not comfortable with this question:

"As required by U.S. Federal Government regulations, please indicate below your source(s) of funding for tuition and expenses for your first year. Even if you cannot fully support your first year, indicate your sources of partial funding. For visa purposes, funding sources cannot include loans. Check all that apply."

At best this is unclearly worded. It seems to imply that unless you have enough funding to get you through your first year, not including loans, then you won't get a visa. But that's can't be right, surely. Don't most applicants depend on loans?

Doolittle, I don't know whether your question has been addressed. I'm not certain about US Visa requirements, but when I applied for a visa to study in France, I did have to prove that I had enough funds on hand to cover my expenses while I was there. I circumvented the requirement by having a wealthy friend sign the form stating that he would provide the support, and supply me with a bank statement. I don't know whether the same (or a similar) option is available to you. Good luck.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Tepper Class of 2013
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 17 [1] , given: 24

Re: Calling All NYU Stern Fall 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 14 Jan 2011, 04:45
This post received
KUDOS
osonipse wrote:
in for R2!

Does anyone know if they send interview invites on a roll basis or on a fixed date?

Interview invites, as well as decisions, are rolling.
1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
Schools: Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Followers: 71

Kudos [?]: 685 [1] , given: 548

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Calling All NYU Stern Fall 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 14 Jan 2011, 11:13
This post received
KUDOS
SalarymanJ wrote:
I think this is the current state of things for R1, if someone who has access to the front page wants to update it.

Created Google Spreadsheet in the first post of this thread. Anyone can edit it. You guys can maintain the roll call if you want to. Just keep the format (without dramatic changes - such as sorting, etc).

Re: Calling All NYU Stern Fall 2011 Applicants   [#permalink] 14 Jan 2011, 11:13