Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Aug 2014, 02:30

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling All NYU Stern Fall 2011 Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
6 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Stern '13 (M)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 19 [6] , given: 2

Calling All NYU Stern Fall 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 02 Jul 2010, 08:09
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
New York University, wsj.com

This thread is for the NY Stern 2011 Application Year, meaning applicants that are starting School in the Fall of 2011.

Please direct all of your questions for this year into the 2012 thread

calling-all-nyu-stern-fall-2012-applicants-116635.html

NYU Stern - Class of 2013 Applicants

NYU Stern Application Timeline
Round OneRound Two Round Three
Application Due: November 15, 2010January 15, 2011March 15, 2011
Initial Notification by: February 15, 2011April 1, 2011June 1, 2011

http://www.stern.nyu.edu/AcademicProgra ... /index.htm

Essay Questions
Stern Adcom wrote:
Essay 1 Professional Aspirations
(750 word maximum, double-spaced, 12-point font)
Think about the decisions you have made in your life. Answer the following:
(a) What choices have you made that led you to your current position?
(b) Why pursue an MBA at this point in your life?
(c) What is your career goal upon graduation from NYU Stern? What is your long-term career goal?

Essay 2 Your Stern Experience
(500 word maximum, double-spaced, 12-point font)
We take great care to shape the Stern community with individuals who possess both intellectual and interpersonal strengths. We seek individuals who are highly intelligent, collaborative, and committed to flourishing as Stern leaders. Please answer the following questions:
(a) What is your personal experience with the Stern community? Tell us what actions you have taken to learn about us.
(b) Describe what most excites you about Stern from both an academic and extracurricular perspective.
(c) How do you anticipate making your mark on the Stern community? Be specific about the roles you will take on and the impact you hope to achieve.

Essay 3 Personal Expression
Please describe yourself to your MBA classmates. You may use almost any method to convey your message (e.g. words, illustrations). Feel free to be creative.

Essay 4 Additional Information (optional)
Please provide any additional information that you would like to bring to the attention of the Admissions Committee. This may include current or past gaps in employment, further explanation of your undergraduate record or self-reported academic transcript(s), plans to retake the GMAT and/or TOEFL or any other relevant information.
If you are unable to submit a recommendation from a current supervisor, you must explain your reason in Essay 4.
If you are a re-applicant from last year, please explain how your candidacy has improved since your last application.
If you are applying to a dual degree program, please explain your decision to pursue a dual degree.

Link to Essay questions - http://www.stern.nyu.edu/AcademicProgra ... /index.htm

Additional Information & Links

BusinessWeek School Profile: http://www.businessweek.com/bschools/ra ... stern.html
NYU Stern Class of 2012 Profile: http://www.stern.nyu.edu/AcademicProgra ... /index.htm

Stern Adcom Tips: http://www.stern.nyu.edu/AcademicProgra ... /index.htm

LY ClearAdmit Essay Analysis: http://blog.clearadmit.com/2009/07/nyus ... 2009-2010/
LY Accepted.com Essay Analysis: http://blog.accepted.com/acceptedcom_bl ... -tips.html

2010 Thread: calling-all-nyu-fall-2010-applicants-80187.html
2009 Thread: calling-all-nyu-fall-09-applicants-66860.html
2008 Thread: calling-stern-nyu-applicants-52274.html

Good luck! Feel free to reach out to me (Class of 2012), solaris1 (Class of 2011), 3underscore (Alum) or any other Stern students if you have any questions.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
4 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
GPA: 3.14
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 87 [4] , given: 57

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling All NYU Stern Fall 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2010, 13:46
This post received
KUDOS
w103psp wrote:
Apart from the ranking, what are the major differences between Columbia and Stern? I couldn't really find any useful link online. Most were partisan in their argument!

Based on my experience (both are my top 2 choices, I have done a lot of research and visited both campuses) I would largely echo gkumar's points and add the following:

- Columbia is Ivy League, for those concerned with such things;
- NYU is in south Manhattan, more in the "heart" of NYC, whereas Columbia is north of Central Park in East Harlem;
- Columbia's campus is more self-contained than NYU -- Columbia has really old beautiful buildings (other than Uris, the main CBS building) and nice green spaces in a clearly-defined campus, whereas NYU blends into the city more (you could walk through NYU and not realize it's a university if you weren't paying attention);
- IMO, historically Columbia has been ranked higher and if anything has seen its stock fall a little over the past several years, whereas the opposite is true of NYU;
- Columbia's class size is ~730 (including j-term) whereas NYU is ~415; and
- NYU has a part-time MBA, CBS does not -- consequently, NYU's alumni base is claimed to be 80,000, whereas CBS is 38,000.

My personal observation based on visiting the campuses is that NYU felt much smaller and more community-focused, whereas CBS had more of an air of history and prestige. I went into my visits with CBS as my #1 and NYU as my #5, and left with the two tied at #1.

My $0.02.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

4 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 21 [4] , given: 4

Re: Calling All NYU Stern Fall 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 06 Dec 2010, 14:29
This post received
KUDOS
I had my interview earlier today. The admissions office gave me a t-shirt and a folder containing some information on my post MBA career path and clubs I mentioned in my application. Like the folder, the interview was tailored to my application materials. I won't get into specific questions (you can use ClearAdmitWiki), but I would tell you to review your essays and know your story well. Go over the questions you have already asked yourself 100 times - why MBA, why Stern, what clubs do you want to participate in, how will you reach your career goals, etc. Also, know your professional/personal strengths and what you will bring to Stern.

Overall, the experience was very pleasant. For those of you that haven't visited Stern yet, the admissions staff is very nice and welcoming. The interview was 1-on-1 for about 35-40 minutes. I had a chance to ask some questions at the end, so prepare a couple. If anyone wants more info, PM me.
3 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Columbia Business School '13
WE 1: Investment Banking
WE 2: Higher Education
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 43 [3] , given: 7

Re: Calling All NYU Stern Fall 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 02 Aug 2010, 08:23
This post received
KUDOS
Quote:
Apart from the ranking, what are the major differences between Columbia and Stern? I couldn't really find any useful link online. Most were partisan in their argument!

I'll add my $0.02 here as well.

I agree that based off multiple visits I have made to both Stern and Columbia, Columbia does have more of an air of aristocracy to it that you might associate with the Ivys. In my attempts to strike up conversations with students, professors and administrators at Columbia, I had a mixed experience. Some were tremendously helpful and willing to give of their time while others seemed disinterested in helping a prospective student. Overall, the good and bad interactions are probably a wash. At Stern, where I have a close friend enrolled (admittedly an unfair advantage when it comes to contacting other students, profs, etc) my interactions have been much more positive. While I have not tried to contact some of the more notable professors, I think it is also worth examining the roster of professors at each school. Stern does have Roubini and if you're interested in finance, one of the real oracles of valuation - Aswath Damodaran.

I also think that Stern's smaller size and underdog status in the Stern v. Columbia fight seems to have created a tighter-knit community that actively works to show how it develops students to chase their professional aspirations. Columbia and its community, in my experience, seem to be more content that its reputation should be enough to attract more top-flight students.

Regarding ranking trends, NYU definitely has the upper hand. In the last few years it has crept up while Columbia has dropped a bit. NYU also has a new Dean and a new building. Uris, which is Columbia's b-school building leaves a lot to be desired in my opinion. All that being said, do your diligence and check the endowments for each school. My sense is that Columbia can bankroll physical improvements to the school if it believes that new digs will spur a resurgence in the rankings. You might also consider Columbia's impending expansion in the Morningside Heights neighborhood. As I understand it, the school is creating some new space and I recall visiting a website that tracks the progress of the construction site. Can't say I took the time to walk by it, though.

My GMAT Debrief: my-gmat-experience-540-to-92850.html
Every man I meet is my superior in some way. In that, I learn of him. - Emerson

3 KUDOS received
Current Student
Affiliations: VFW, Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans of America, West Point Association of Graduates
Schools: Wharton Class of 2013
WE 1: Army Ranger / Infantry Platoon Leader Operation Iraqi Freedom (2 yrs)
WE 2: Company Executive Officer (1 yr)
WE 3: Company Commander (2 yrs)
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 63 [3] , given: 75

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling All NYU Stern Fall 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 10 Nov 2010, 08:14
This post received
KUDOS
Not sure if people want to use this, my friend whos is a Stern '11 sent me the resume template.

Obviously, we have to change the top where it says NYU Stern, but I left it for people to sub in any graduate degrees they may have. I think it would be beneficial to use their format to show a committment to learning about Stern and putting in a few minutes of extra effort, maybe I am wrong, I am just an Army dude...

Also, this should be much more user friendly then the link I posted earlier.
Attachments

NYU Resume_Template_09-10.doc [44 KiB]
Downloaded 102 times

To download please login or register as a user

3 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 19 [3] , given: 2

Re: Calling All NYU Stern Fall 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Jan 2011, 13:17
This post received
KUDOS
I think this is the current state of things for R1, if someone who has access to the front page wants to update it.

CPANoMore - interview invite 11/29 - interviewed 12/6 - Accepted 12/20
1AlmightyTurtle - interview invite 12/3 - interviewed 12/6 - Accepted 12/20
justship - interview invite 12/7 - interviewed ???? - Accepted 1/5
cg86 - interview invite 12/8 -
mba2013 - interview invite 12/8 -
raven52 - interview invite ?? - interviewed 12/9 - Accepted 12/20
jery2911 - interview invite 12/9 - interviewed 12/16 - Accepted 1/5
ckgriffi - interview invite 12/8 - interviewed 12/16 - Accepted 1/5
CORDOBA - interview invite 12/9 - Interviewed 1/13
RFMBA2 - interview invite 12/9
Andoverjon - interview invite 12/9 - interviewed ???? - Accepted 1/5
SBL0322 - interview invite 12/10 - interviewed 1/6
Fantods - interview invite 12/13
rafi - interview invite 12/13 - interviewed 12/22
g0rd0ngeck0 - interview invite 12/13
mbalady2010 - interview invite 12/13
nyc2010 - interviewed ?? -
SalarymanJ - interview invite 12/15 - interviewed 1/4
californiamba - interview invite 12/15
hopingfor2011 - interview invite 12/16
princessneha - interview invite 12/16
Moss - interview invite 12/17 - Withdrawn
bonkselle23 - interview invite 12/20 -
westcoasttransplant - interview invite 12/21 -
rouzbie - interview invite 12/22 - interviewed 1/11
josiebella - interview invite 12/22 - interviewed 1/10
wp06 - interview invite 1/6
NY1 - interview invite ???? - interviewed 12/21 - Accepted 1/5
wondee - interview invite ???? - interviewed 1/4 - Accepted 1/5
mamboman56 -interview invite 12/6 - interview 12/16 - Accepted 1/5
noclue9454 - interview invite 1/5 -
perseverance - interview invite 1/13 -
kigs - waitlisted 1/10
futurestrategist - waitlsited 1/10
wmcrockett - waitlisted 1/10
ph0429 - waitlisted 1/10
bayareaCFA - waitlisted 1/10
themidwest - waitlisted 1/10
Cheerio - waitlisted 1/10
ifyoubuildit - waitlisted 1/10
brainfilth - waitlisted 1/11
HaasNumberOne - waitlisted 1/11
brainhurt - waitlisted 1/11
bluecollarhero - waitlisted 1/11
xaffron - waitlisted 1/11
kfire - waitlisted 1/11
cmv - waitlisted 1/10

Last edited by SalarymanJ on 13 Jan 2011, 11:34, edited 8 times in total.
3 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
Schools: NYU Stern '11

Kudos [?]: 205 [3] , given: 22

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling All NYU Stern Fall 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 25 May 2011, 00:20
This post received
KUDOS
It does, but those placement numbers are for internal consumption only, I'm afraid.

Based on the data I provided earlier, which once again is about a month old and reflects the # of acceptances only (and not # of offers) I can however tell you that the #1 company hired 11 more MBAs than the #20 company. So the range in the number of MBAs hired by the top #1 company and the #20 company is not as drastic as what you guessed.

Keep in mind that the top 20 hired only about 35% of the entire class. This should tell you that there are a lot more companies hiring just one or two Stern MBAs.

With regards to GS and UBS particularly, not sure why GS comes as a surprise. I'm told its recruiting process is probably the most involved and intense as far as jobs at investment banks go, and thus I figure only a handful of people go through. UBS, I can give a more informed answer. Unless I am mistaken, UBS shows up relatively lower on that list because the U.S. offers it made were overwhelmingly for their Research and Trading divisions, both of which hire significantly fewer people than say IBD.

Of course, it's also possible that a bunch of people simply turned down their GS/UBS offers and decided to go elsewhere. And yes, people do turn down offers from GS as well, although I reliably only know of one who did so (good friend of mine - international). I do know another girl who summered at GS but isn't going back, but I'm not that friendly with her to know precisely whether it's because she turned them down, or she got no-offered at the end of the summer.

AmEx and Deloitte have in recent years always been among the top recruiters at Stern. Very strong NYU Stern alumni networks there and they really go all out during on-campus recruiting.

Slightly more than half of all students get offers through formal on-campus recruiting, another fifth to a quarter I would guess through other school-initiated programs like job fairs, alumni cocktails, or club networking nights, a tenth probably either go back to their old employers or start their own ventures, and I guess the remainder really just swing it through their own individual networking efforts. There we go - hopefully I got everything, xiao85yu!

Now that all my grades are in, I can officially claim to be an MBA! I will indeed, as 3underscore pointed out, be leaving to travel around the world for the next couple of months, so my participation in this thread is probably coming to an end. Nonetheless, you should all feel free to reach out to the Graduation Ambassadors at Stern Admissions directly if you have questions - there's usually a couple of cool new graduates working over the summer there.

Good luck to those waiting, and congratulations to the Class of 2013! Hopefully your experience at Stern will be as memorable as mine.

xiao85yu wrote:
No problem, I was just wondering if Stern released the numbers for the placement? does it go from 40 recruits from #1 to 4 at #10?

As far as BB recruiting goes, I'm a bit surprised that Goldman and UBS are so low on the list - I didn't expect Deloitte or Amex to be so high. do most people get their interviews through interviews scheduled through the career office or is it really up to the candidate to get proactive?
2 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 205 [2] , given: 22

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling All NYU Stern Fall 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 15 Jul 2010, 17:03
This post received
KUDOS
Good luck, everyone. It's a pity I'll already have graduated before you folks start at Stern, but let me tell you that Stern is an absolutely wonderful place and as ridiculous as it sounds for a business school, there is a lot of substance behind Stern marketing itself as "down to earth" and community-oriented.

Please feel free to reach out for general school specific advice, or if you'll be coming to visit campus and want to chat.
2 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 205 [2] , given: 22

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling All NYU Stern Fall 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2010, 06:25
This post received
KUDOS
lunasea29, I don't think this is a concern that is specific to Stern. Stern does very well with CPG recruiting overall. I'd be very surprised if large CPG companies hire large numbers of international students at any school for full-time marketing positions located in the U.S.

Some do, but you'll only have a handful of employers that are CPG companies willing to hire internationals for full-time stuff. I'm not sure how you being Canadian will factor into the equation. My guess is that it probably makes things less difficult.

Feel free to reach out to the admissions offices at multiple schools with questions about how well international students have done in securing full-time CPG marketing positions, and I suppose decide what your "ideal" school is based on that information?

Just one other thing. Very few CPG companies this year came back to hire full-time because they filled their classes mostly with their summer interns. So work hard for that internship if you seriously want to end up in CPG marketing.

lunasea29 wrote:
Hi solaris,

this is concerning to me, the comment you made about CPG marketing position. One of my interests is to pursue CPG marketing post graduation in US. So being a Canadian, Stern may not be an ideal school for me if I wanted to pursue a career in this industry? Since the companies are not recruitment international students on campus?
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Columbia 2013 (accepted)
WE 1: Marine Infantry Officer (4 yrs)
WE 2: Aerospace (2.5 yrs)

Kudos [?]: 16 [2] , given: 0

Re: Calling All NYU Stern Fall 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 26 Oct 2010, 17:52
This post received
KUDOS
Hi everyone, I visited campus this past weekend. 'Campus' actually isn't the right word as the school blends into downtown. You could walk past Stern without even noticing it. I see this as a positive, because I love downtown New York. I found the Stern personnel I spoke with to be very friendly and laid-back, which fits their image of the 'collaborative' business school. I wasn't able to visit any classes, they encourage me to come back in either November or February, sounds like December and January are slow for classes. The biggest takeaway was that Stern is the 'EQ plus IQ' school, and that I think you need to really communicate that you are aware of their culture and that you are the right 'fit' for this environment. To me, it seems Stern is positioning itself as the polar opposite of the other NYC b-school- Columbia. Both are great schools, top ten...but the culture of each school could not be more different.
2 KUDOS received
Current Student
Affiliations: VFW, Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans of America, West Point Association of Graduates
Schools: Wharton Class of 2013
WE 1: Army Ranger / Infantry Platoon Leader Operation Iraqi Freedom (2 yrs)
WE 2: Company Executive Officer (1 yr)
WE 3: Company Commander (2 yrs)

Kudos [?]: 63 [2] , given: 75

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling All NYU Stern Fall 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 11 Nov 2010, 16:37
This post received
KUDOS
i started it from a reference point from my deployment, then i connected everything - i tried to focus on a theme, for me my theme was "helping people" it was really basic but i tried to show a pattern of making decisions to help people - join the army - project i did in iraq - consulting / mentoring junior officer -> then tied all that to my short and long term goals as a consultant and then strategic manager

i think its important for the whole essay to flow from a central idea, i think a reference point is a good way to make it more interesting, rather than say:
"I decided to pursue a career as a management consultant"

you could say something like "I had just landed in Japan to lead a team on a very important project to resolve major operational challenges. It was my first time in a lead role and the work I did fueled my passion to develop skills in management, strategy, and operations.."

i dont know something like that maybe, just my 2 cents..
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 21 [2] , given: 4

Re: Calling All NYU Stern Fall 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 29 Nov 2010, 10:25
This post received
KUDOS
It changes from the 3-4 sentences about your app being presented to the Admissions Committee and the date grid to:

"The Admissions Committee has completed an initial review of your application and would like to invite you to interview at NYU Stern. An interview invitation has been emailed to you, and you can visit the Interview Scheduling Website to schedule your interview. We look forward to meeting you."

You get an email immediately after the status change.

I'm 28 / 3.1 from a top 5 public univ / 750 / 6 years work exp / CPA / good extracurriculars. If there is anything else you want to know, PM me.
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [2] , given: 1

Re: Calling All NYU Stern Fall 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Dec 2010, 14:17
This post received
KUDOS
Cigars are for poopy pants
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: NYU Stern
WE 1: Financial Services
WE 2: Entrepreneurship
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 3 [2] , given: 0

Re: Calling All NYU Stern Fall 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Dec 2010, 14:36
This post received
KUDOS
I got in!!! Got my acceptance email on 5:13. In Orlando relaxing now. Back to NY in 2 days. Will post more.

Posted from my mobile device Image

Posted from my mobile device Image

Please give me some kudos.

2 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 87 [2] , given: 57

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling All NYU Stern Fall 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2011, 11:32
This post received
KUDOS
bluecollarhero wrote:
Does anyone know if NYU does a mass ding / W/L day for R1 or trickle them out till Feb 15th?

Last year, a bunch of dings/WLs starting came out 2nd week of Jan, and then it was pretty quiet until Feb 2/3, when another batch came out.

2 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 19 [2] , given: 2

Re: Calling All NYU Stern Fall 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 14 Jan 2011, 13:51
This post received
KUDOS
SalarymanJ wrote:
nink wrote:
SalarymanJ wrote:
I think this is the current state of things for R1, if someone who has access to the front page wants to update it.

Created Google Spreadsheet in the first post of this thread. Anyone can edit it. You guys can maintain the roll call if you want to. Just keep the format (without dramatic changes - such as sorting, etc).

Cool thanks a lot. I just looking in to doing something like that.

OK so I updated the spreadsheet with the interview dates/acceptance/waitlist from my other post. If anyone wants to fill in additional details, knock yourself out.
2 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: R1:Cornell, Yale, NYU. R2: Haas, MIT, Ross
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 26 [2] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling All NYU Stern Fall 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 19 Jan 2011, 09:52
This post received
KUDOS
Hello All,
I just called the stern admissions office and was told that international students might hear a little later as they plan to send a team out to various locations to conduct the interviews. So if you are an international student, sit tight, there is still hope!
Cheers!
2 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 87 [2] , given: 57

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling All NYU Stern Fall 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2011, 14:18
This post received
KUDOS
progressiongirl wrote:
smidgett16 wrote:
I submitted for R2 and have not received my status email with my login information. Should I be worried?

Same here. Nothing. I did email them though and they said they received my app, so I guess I'm not really worried.

Nothing to worry about, those emails came out at random in R1. No amount of analyzing submission date, country of origin, initials, concentration, GPA, GMAT, or tea leaves will help you understand why you get the status email when you do.

@uprightcitizen- :lol:

2 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
Schools: CMU (Tepper) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: Q V
GMAT 2: 740 Q V
GPA: 3.05
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 41 [2] , given: 11

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling All NYU Stern Fall 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2011, 13:27
This post received
KUDOS
For those of us in R2: I scanned last year's forums and it looks like the first reported interview invites came out on February 8:

calling-all-nyu-fall-2010-applicants-80187-580.html#p684880

* The opinions expressed here are my personal views and do not necessarily reflect the views of my school, the Tepper School of Business.

2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 21 [2] , given: 4

Re: Calling All NYU Stern Fall 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 17 Feb 2011, 20:40
This post received
KUDOS
$2,500 for a 1 BR in the Village is definitely reasonable. A lot depends on the specific location and building amenities (doorman, elevator, etc.). No question that the East Village is generally cheaper than the West Village. It's nice that NYU is easily accesible from the east side subway line (4,5,6) and the west side subway lines (1,2,3,B,D,F,M,A,C,E,N,R,Q), so you can move uptown or downtown w/o too much of a hassle. In my experience, the price ranges you should look for in Manhattan should be:

Studios: $1800-$2200 (btwn 375-475 sq. ft.)
1 BR: Under $2800 (You can find great apartments under $2600 - btwn 575-675 sq. ft.)

If anyone has questions, feel free to PM me. Looking for NYC apartments, especially from out of town, can be a hassle and we should all try to help each other with broker/building recommendations when possible.
Re: Calling All NYU Stern Fall 2011 Applicants   [#permalink] 17 Feb 2011, 20:40