Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 17:45

Going on right now!

Live Q&A Session with HKU Admissions Team | Join the chat room to participate.


Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling All NYU Stern Fall 2011 Waitlisters!!

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 01 Dec 2010
Posts: 46
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling All NYU Stern Fall 2011 Waitlisters!! [#permalink] New post 03 Feb 2011, 12:17
I think timing is important. If you wait too long it may appear as if a prospective student is uninterested. Waiting a few weeks should be okay though. You definitely want to communicate something of substance when you do communicate. E-mailing the admissions committee with no additional information that may strengthen your candidacy is probably only marginally beneficial.

brainhurt wrote:
cmv wrote:
I just sent them my letter today. I'm worried that I took too long, but when I first got on the waitlist I was too busy and exhausted to put something meaningful together, so maybe it was better to wait.

From the main Stern thread, it looks like they're mostly still giving out R1 acceptances, so I doubt we'll hear anything until people in R2 start to be interviewed, and R1 admits start either enrolling or withdrawing.


You're not alone, I'm sending in my letter today or tomorrow. I don't think the timing is an issue, I don't expect any wait list movement for a little while. And as you point out, they're still sending out r1 acceptances, so it's going to take some time before people with offers make decisions.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 11 Jan 2011
Posts: 51
Location: United States
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 680 Q46 V38
GMAT 2: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.03
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling All NYU Stern Fall 2011 Waitlisters!! [#permalink] New post 04 Feb 2011, 09:46
Hello All,

It seems a few more WL came out today. For the most part, like myself, sans interview.

Definitely a little frustrating. Sorry to make the already big list even bigger.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 10 May 2010
Posts: 45
Schools: UCLA, USC, NYU
WE 1: 5 Years, Entertainment and Technology
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling All NYU Stern Fall 2011 Waitlisters!! [#permalink] New post 06 Feb 2011, 22:25
I got added to the WL as well without an interview on Friday. Will probably send a letter tomorrow with a new recommendation.
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 31 May 2010
Posts: 587
Location: United States (NY)
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
GPA: 3.14
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 87 [0], given: 57

Re: Calling All NYU Stern Fall 2011 Waitlisters!! [#permalink] New post 07 Feb 2011, 05:33
bayareaCFA wrote:
I think timing is important. If you wait too long it may appear as if a prospective student is uninterested. Waiting a few weeks should be okay though. You definitely want to communicate something of substance when you do communicate. E-mailing the admissions committee with no additional information that may strengthen your candidacy is probably only marginally beneficial.


Ya I didn't word that well. I agree that timing is important, what I meant to say that I don't think that her timing was problematic. My strategy was to send a brief email immediately emphasizing my continued interest in the program and stating that I would send a more detailed letter in three weeks, and then take the time to put something more substantial together.
_________________

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 21 Sep 2009
Posts: 163
Schools: Ross '13
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 4

Re: Calling All NYU Stern Fall 2011 Waitlisters!! [#permalink] New post 07 Feb 2011, 05:51
count me in...waitlisted R1. I got the notification a while ago but am just now posting into this.
_________________

My profile

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 07 Feb 2011
Posts: 40
Location: United States
GMAT 1: 720 Q47 V42
GMAT 2: 750 Q48 V44
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling All NYU Stern Fall 2011 Waitlisters!! [#permalink] New post 07 Feb 2011, 10:27
I got waitlisted after an interview. Anybody else in the same boat?
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 06 Oct 2009
Posts: 594
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 295

Re: Calling All NYU Stern Fall 2011 Waitlisters!! [#permalink] New post 07 Feb 2011, 10:30
badsyntax wrote:
I got waitlisted after an interview. Anybody else in the same boat?


I think most of us have been waitlisted without an interview and I haven't seen a NYU poster get waitlisted with an interview until now.

Congrats on getting one at least. How did your interview go? Care to conjecture why the waitlist occurred?
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 31 May 2010
Posts: 587
Location: United States (NY)
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
GPA: 3.14
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 87 [0], given: 57

Re: Calling All NYU Stern Fall 2011 Waitlisters!! [#permalink] New post 07 Feb 2011, 10:34
futurestrategist wrote:
badsyntax wrote:
I got waitlisted after an interview. Anybody else in the same boat?


I think most of us have been waitlisted without an interview and I haven't seen a NYU poster get waitlisted with an interview until now.

Congrats on getting one at least. How did your interview go? Care to conjecture why the waitlist occurred?


I think there was one other person WL'd after interview this year. There were a couple last year. Definitely the vast majority are w/o int.

I agree it's positive that you got an interview invite in the first place.
_________________

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 07 Feb 2011
Posts: 40
Location: United States
GMAT 1: 720 Q47 V42
GMAT 2: 750 Q48 V44
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling All NYU Stern Fall 2011 Waitlisters!! [#permalink] New post 07 Feb 2011, 10:57
Really not sure. Needless to say, I wasn't expecting a WL after the interview. The interview itself had gone very well, or at least that's what I had thought. In hind sight, one thing that could have hurt me was my answer to the questions about what kind of jobs I will look for post-MBA. I told them that I wanted to stay in consulting but would like to explore my options during my first summer and that brand name is not as big a concern for me as the kind of opportunities I get. Not sure if those were the "correct" answers.

Looks like they give quite an emphasis on retaking the GMAT as a WLer. Guess it's time to hit the books again!

futurestrategist wrote:
badsyntax wrote:
I got waitlisted after an interview. Anybody else in the same boat?


I think most of us have been waitlisted without an interview and I haven't seen a NYU poster get waitlisted with an interview until now.

Congrats on getting one at least. How did your interview go? Care to conjecture why the waitlist occurred?
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 09 Dec 2010
Posts: 147
Location: NYC
Schools: Tepper Class of 2013
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 24

Re: Calling All NYU Stern Fall 2011 Waitlisters!! [#permalink] New post 09 Feb 2011, 11:27
I just read my waitlist letter again today, and noticed that it says they'll be reviewing our status starting in the Spring. If the definition is the one on the calendar, that means the earliest we could hear anything is more than a month away... for some reason I expected we'd be continuously evaluated together with the R2 applicants. Time to go find last year's thread and check when movement starts to happen.
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 06 Oct 2009
Posts: 594
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 295

Re: Calling All NYU Stern Fall 2011 Waitlisters!! [#permalink] New post 09 Feb 2011, 11:34
cmv wrote:
I just read my waitlist letter again today, and noticed that it says they'll be reviewing our status starting in the Spring. If the definition is the one on the calendar, that means the earliest we could hear anything is more than a month away... for some reason I expected we'd be continuously evaluated together with the R2 applicants. Time to go find last year's thread and check when movement starts to happen.


cmv, that would be a great help! I believe few people had gotten off the waitlist last year, but I'm not sure about their timelines.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 09 Dec 2010
Posts: 147
Location: NYC
Schools: Tepper Class of 2013
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 24

Re: Calling All NYU Stern Fall 2011 Waitlisters!! [#permalink] New post 09 Feb 2011, 12:04
futurestrategist wrote:
cmv wrote:
I just read my waitlist letter again today, and noticed that it says they'll be reviewing our status starting in the Spring. If the definition is the one on the calendar, that means the earliest we could hear anything is more than a month away... for some reason I expected we'd be continuously evaluated together with the R2 applicants. Time to go find last year's thread and check when movement starts to happen.


cmv, that would be a great help! I believe few people had gotten off the waitlist last year, but I'm not sure about their timelines.


Here's a ray of hope:

Apply: 11/14/09 (round 1)
Wait-list w/o interview: 1/6/10
Interview Invitation: 2/25/10
Interview (summer start): 3/25/10
Admitted: 4/2/10

it seems they picked off a few (very few) people to interview for Summer Start in late Feb/early March. Not sure how they pick people for Summer Start.
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 31 May 2010
Posts: 587
Location: United States (NY)
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
GPA: 3.14
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 87 [0], given: 57

Re: Calling All NYU Stern Fall 2011 Waitlisters!! [#permalink] New post 09 Feb 2011, 13:50
Nice find! Interesting that that person was interviewed for summer start before being admitted.

My WL letter says the same as yours, but I'm almost positive I've read an interview with the admissions director which said they review the WL on a weekly basis. I'll try to find it when I'm home.

Posted from my mobile device Image
_________________

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Current Student
avatar
Joined: 06 Oct 2009
Posts: 594
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 295

Re: Calling All NYU Stern Fall 2011 Waitlisters!! [#permalink] New post 09 Feb 2011, 14:04
brainhurt wrote:
Nice find! Interesting that that person was interviewed for summer start before being admitted.

My WL letter says the same as yours, but I'm almost positive I've read an interview with the admissions director which said they review the WL on a weekly basis. I'll try to find it when I'm home.

Posted from my mobile device Image


Interesting considering that Columbia reviews applications on a weekly basis also for deferred/waitlisted candidates. Looking forward to reading that interview. Perhaps the process is a weekly basis from spring onwards?
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 31 May 2010
Posts: 587
Location: United States (NY)
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
GPA: 3.14
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 87 [0], given: 57

Re: Calling All NYU Stern Fall 2011 Waitlisters!! [#permalink] New post 10 Feb 2011, 07:53
futurestrategist wrote:
brainhurt wrote:
Nice find! Interesting that that person was interviewed for summer start before being admitted.

My WL letter says the same as yours, but I'm almost positive I've read an interview with the admissions director which said they review the WL on a weekly basis. I'll try to find it when I'm home.

Posted from my mobile device Image


Interesting considering that Columbia reviews applications on a weekly basis also for deferred/waitlisted candidates. Looking forward to reading that interview. Perhaps the process is a weekly basis from spring onwards?


My mistake, I was thinking of an interview I read with Cornell: http://www.accepted.com/chat/Transcript ... rnell.aspx

Spring? Ugh.
_________________

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 07 Dec 2010
Posts: 7
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling All NYU Stern Fall 2011 Waitlisters!! [#permalink] New post 14 Feb 2011, 18:13
Got waitlisted today. Had applied R1 on 11/15. I was waiting for my rejection letter to come in considering it had been so long.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 01 Dec 2010
Posts: 17
Location: TX, USA
WE 1: 6+ Yrs, Management Consulting
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 3

Re: Calling All NYU Stern Fall 2011 Waitlisters!! [#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2011, 13:21
1
This post received
KUDOS
just wanted to let you all know that I was W/L for Stern but declined my place on the waitlist (just paid my enrollment deposit for Ross). Hopefully that opens up a spot, good luck!
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 31 May 2010
Posts: 587
Location: United States (NY)
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
GPA: 3.14
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 87 [0], given: 57

Re: Calling All NYU Stern Fall 2011 Waitlisters!! [#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2011, 13:48
ph0429 wrote:
just wanted to let you all know that I was W/L for Stern but declined my place on the waitlist (just paid my enrollment deposit for Ross). Hopefully that opens up a spot, good luck!


Thanks, and good luck at Ross!

To feed the speculation, I submitted an update letter 2 weeks ago and it hasn't been reflected in my status page, so it doesn't appear that WLers are getting a lot of attention right now.
_________________

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Current Student
avatar
Joined: 06 Oct 2009
Posts: 594
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 295

Re: Calling All NYU Stern Fall 2011 Waitlisters!! [#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2011, 14:08
Thanks and good luck at Ross as well! I just interviewed on campus at Ross and the people there were great. Ross has the best business school building that I have ever seen.

And I wonder when spring begins for nyu. Do they rely on groundhogs?

Posted from my mobile device Image
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 22 Jul 2010
Posts: 128
Schools: Ross
WE 1: Consultant
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling All NYU Stern Fall 2011 Waitlisters!! [#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2011, 15:35
brainhurt wrote:
ph0429 wrote:
just wanted to let you all know that I was W/L for Stern but declined my place on the waitlist (just paid my enrollment deposit for Ross). Hopefully that opens up a spot, good luck!


Thanks, and good luck at Ross!

To feed the speculation, I submitted an update letter 2 weeks ago and it hasn't been reflected in my status page, so it doesn't appear that WLers are getting a lot of attention right now.


I don't know if they are really busy but I submitted an update letter a month ago and it showed up on my status page after 3 business days. I would wait a few more days and if it still doesn't show up, I would send them an email following up.
Re: Calling All NYU Stern Fall 2011 Waitlisters!!   [#permalink] 16 Feb 2011, 15:35
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
10 Experts publish their posts in the topic Calling all the Stern (NYU) Waitlist 2013 kenadams01 65 19 Feb 2013, 10:01
Calling All NYU Stern Fall 2012 Waitlisters!! Wolverinemba 3 26 Feb 2012, 22:36
Calling All NYU Stern Fall 2011 Applicants-CONSORTIUM chcarvajal 1 27 Jan 2011, 18:20
186 Experts publish their posts in the topic Calling All NYU Stern Fall 2011 Applicants SalarymanJ 2195 02 Jul 2010, 08:09
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Calling All NYU Stern Fall 2011 Waitlisters!!

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13    Next  [ 247 posts ] 



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.