Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Sep 2014, 04:01

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling All NYU Stern Fall 2011 Waitlisters!!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 720 Q47 V42
GMAT 2: 750 Q48 V44
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling All NYU Stern Fall 2011 Waitlisters!! [#permalink] New post 07 Feb 2011, 10:57
Really not sure. Needless to say, I wasn't expecting a WL after the interview. The interview itself had gone very well, or at least that's what I had thought. In hind sight, one thing that could have hurt me was my answer to the questions about what kind of jobs I will look for post-MBA. I told them that I wanted to stay in consulting but would like to explore my options during my first summer and that brand name is not as big a concern for me as the kind of opportunities I get. Not sure if those were the "correct" answers.

Looks like they give quite an emphasis on retaking the GMAT as a WLer. Guess it's time to hit the books again!

futurestrategist wrote:
badsyntax wrote:
I got waitlisted after an interview. Anybody else in the same boat?

I think most of us have been waitlisted without an interview and I haven't seen a NYU poster get waitlisted with an interview until now.

Congrats on getting one at least. How did your interview go? Care to conjecture why the waitlist occurred?
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Schools: Tepper Class of 2013
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 24

Re: Calling All NYU Stern Fall 2011 Waitlisters!! [#permalink] New post 09 Feb 2011, 11:27
I just read my waitlist letter again today, and noticed that it says they'll be reviewing our status starting in the Spring. If the definition is the one on the calendar, that means the earliest we could hear anything is more than a month away... for some reason I expected we'd be continuously evaluated together with the R2 applicants. Time to go find last year's thread and check when movement starts to happen.
Current Student
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 295

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling All NYU Stern Fall 2011 Waitlisters!! [#permalink] New post 09 Feb 2011, 11:34
cmv wrote:
I just read my waitlist letter again today, and noticed that it says they'll be reviewing our status starting in the Spring. If the definition is the one on the calendar, that means the earliest we could hear anything is more than a month away... for some reason I expected we'd be continuously evaluated together with the R2 applicants. Time to go find last year's thread and check when movement starts to happen.

cmv, that would be a great help! I believe few people had gotten off the waitlist last year, but I'm not sure about their timelines.
Manager
Manager

Re: Calling All NYU Stern Fall 2011 Waitlisters!! [#permalink] New post 09 Feb 2011, 12:04
futurestrategist wrote:
cmv wrote:

cmv, that would be a great help! I believe few people had gotten off the waitlist last year, but I'm not sure about their timelines.

Here's a ray of hope:

Apply: 11/14/09 (round 1)
Wait-list w/o interview: 1/6/10
Interview Invitation: 2/25/10
Interview (summer start): 3/25/10
Admitted: 4/2/10

it seems they picked off a few (very few) people to interview for Summer Start in late Feb/early March. Not sure how they pick people for Summer Start.
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
GPA: 3.14
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 87 [0], given: 57

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling All NYU Stern Fall 2011 Waitlisters!! [#permalink] New post 09 Feb 2011, 13:50
Nice find! Interesting that that person was interviewed for summer start before being admitted.

My WL letter says the same as yours, but I'm almost positive I've read an interview with the admissions director which said they review the WL on a weekly basis. I'll try to find it when I'm home.

Posted from my mobile device Image

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Current Student

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling All NYU Stern Fall 2011 Waitlisters!! [#permalink] New post 09 Feb 2011, 14:04
brainhurt wrote:
Nice find! Interesting that that person was interviewed for summer start before being admitted.

My WL letter says the same as yours, but I'm almost positive I've read an interview with the admissions director which said they review the WL on a weekly basis. I'll try to find it when I'm home.

Interesting considering that Columbia reviews applications on a weekly basis also for deferred/waitlisted candidates. Looking forward to reading that interview. Perhaps the process is a weekly basis from spring onwards?
Current Student

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling All NYU Stern Fall 2011 Waitlisters!! [#permalink] New post 10 Feb 2011, 07:53
futurestrategist wrote:
brainhurt wrote:

Interesting considering that Columbia reviews applications on a weekly basis also for deferred/waitlisted candidates. Looking forward to reading that interview. Perhaps the process is a weekly basis from spring onwards?

My mistake, I was thinking of an interview I read with Cornell: http://www.accepted.com/chat/Transcript ... rnell.aspx

Spring? Ugh.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling All NYU Stern Fall 2011 Waitlisters!! [#permalink] New post 14 Feb 2011, 18:13
Got waitlisted today. Had applied R1 on 11/15. I was waiting for my rejection letter to come in considering it had been so long.
Current Student

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling All NYU Stern Fall 2011 Waitlisters!! [#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2011, 13:48
ph0429 wrote:
just wanted to let you all know that I was W/L for Stern but declined my place on the waitlist (just paid my enrollment deposit for Ross). Hopefully that opens up a spot, good luck!

Thanks, and good luck at Ross!

To feed the speculation, I submitted an update letter 2 weeks ago and it hasn't been reflected in my status page, so it doesn't appear that WLers are getting a lot of attention right now.

Current Student

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling All NYU Stern Fall 2011 Waitlisters!! [#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2011, 14:08
Thanks and good luck at Ross as well! I just interviewed on campus at Ross and the people there were great. Ross has the best business school building that I have ever seen.

And I wonder when spring begins for nyu. Do they rely on groundhogs?

Manager
Manager
Schools: Ross
WE 1: Consultant
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling All NYU Stern Fall 2011 Waitlisters!! [#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2011, 15:35
brainhurt wrote:
ph0429 wrote:
just wanted to let you all know that I was W/L for Stern but declined my place on the waitlist (just paid my enrollment deposit for Ross). Hopefully that opens up a spot, good luck!

Thanks, and good luck at Ross!

To feed the speculation, I submitted an update letter 2 weeks ago and it hasn't been reflected in my status page, so it doesn't appear that WLers are getting a lot of attention right now.

I don't know if they are really busy but I submitted an update letter a month ago and it showed up on my status page after 3 business days. I would wait a few more days and if it still doesn't show up, I would send them an email following up.
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 720 Q47 V42
GMAT 2: 750 Q48 V44
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling All NYU Stern Fall 2011 Waitlisters!! [#permalink] New post 18 Feb 2011, 12:01
Where on the status page do your updates show up? I sent them an essay a couple of days ago and a short email a week before that. But nothing shows up on my status page.
Current Student

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling All NYU Stern Fall 2011 Waitlisters!! [#permalink] New post 18 Feb 2011, 13:08
For me there's a table above my contact info.

Manager
Manager

Re: Calling All NYU Stern Fall 2011 Waitlisters!! [#permalink] New post 22 Feb 2011, 06:06
badsyntax wrote:
Where on the status page do your updates show up? I sent them an essay a couple of days ago and a short email a week before that. But nothing shows up on my status page.

I sent them a letter a couple of weeks ago, and recently I had a recommendation letter sent as well, but there is also nothing on my status page. I guess I'll call them later in the week.
Intern
Intern
Schools: UNC

Re: Calling All NYU Stern Fall 2011 Waitlisters!! [#permalink] New post 22 Feb 2011, 07:47
How do you got about sending in a new recommendation? Do you send it in through email or on your initial application?
Manager
Manager

Re: Calling All NYU Stern Fall 2011 Waitlisters!! [#permalink] New post 22 Feb 2011, 07:53
jtanen86 wrote:
How do you got about sending in a new recommendation? Do you send it in through email or on your initial application?

Through the same email that they give you for sending updates.
Intern
Intern
Schools: UNC

Re: Calling All NYU Stern Fall 2011 Waitlisters!! [#permalink] New post 22 Feb 2011, 08:17
Where do you get a blank recommendation form from or do you just email the person the 4 questions that NYU asks them to complete?
Manager
Manager

Re: Calling All NYU Stern Fall 2011 Waitlisters!! [#permalink] New post 22 Feb 2011, 08:23
jtanen86 wrote:
Where do you get a blank recommendation form from or do you just email the person the 4 questions that NYU asks them to complete?

I emailed the person a copy of the form, which you can find at: http://w4.stern.nyu.edu/emplibrary/Reco ... 20Form.pdf, but I don't know how strictly it needs to adhere to those questions, given that this is an extra recommendation.
Intern
Intern
Schools: Sloan, Tuck, Johnson, Yale SOM, Stern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling All NYU Stern Fall 2011 Waitlisters!! [#permalink] New post 22 Feb 2011, 08:27
cmv wrote:
jtanen86 wrote:

I emailed the person a copy of the form, which you can find at: http://w4.stern.nyu.edu/emplibrary/Reco ... 20Form.pdf, but I don't know how strictly it needs to adhere to those questions, given that this is an extra recommendation.

I actually didn't have the extra recommender use the form - rather had it emphasize new angles and activities that I thought could bolster my overall application. Since this is an extra rec, might as well use it to your advantage as much as possible.
Manager
Manager
Schools: Ross
WE 1: Consultant
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling All NYU Stern Fall 2011 Waitlisters!! [#permalink] New post 25 Feb 2011, 09:10
Has anyone asked another recommender to send in a recommendation letter? If so, does it show up on your application status page?

I sent in an additional essay a month ago and the recommender I asked sent in his last week. The receipt information of the additional essay showed up after 3 business days on my status page. However, regarding my recommender's recommendation letter, it's been over 1 week since he sent in the letter and it's still missing on my status page. Is anyone else in the same boat?
Re: Calling All NYU Stern Fall 2011 Waitlisters!!   [#permalink] 25 Feb 2011, 09:10