Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Aug 2014, 09:50

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling All NYU Stern Fall 2011 Waitlisters!!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
GPA: 3.14
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 87 [0], given: 57

GMAT Tests User
Calling All NYU Stern Fall 2011 Waitlisters!! [#permalink] New post 11 Jan 2011, 10:39
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Seems like the Stern WL is a pretty big group this year, so here's a thread for us.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
WE 1: 6+ Yrs, Management Consulting
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 3

Re: Calling All NYU Stern Fall 2011 Waitlisters!! [#permalink] New post 12 Jan 2011, 09:13
This post received
KUDOS
W/L at Stern but just got the admit call from Ross.. wanted to share that I am most likely (70%+) going to Ross so that should open another spot for Stern.. good luck to all the waitlisters!
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling All NYU Stern Fall 2011 Waitlisters!! [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2011, 11:57
This post received
KUDOS
LOL that sounds a lot more reasonable. Thanks! :-D

lagomez wrote:
bayareaCFA wrote:
How often should we communicate are continued interest in NYU? Is an e-mail every hour too much? :-D

I've heard about every 4 weeks. If something significant comes up but then you should probably update right away.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
WE 1: 6+ Yrs, Management Consulting

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 3

Re: Calling All NYU Stern Fall 2011 Waitlisters!! [#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2011, 13:21
This post received
KUDOS
just wanted to let you all know that I was W/L for Stern but declined my place on the waitlist (just paid my enrollment deposit for Ross). Hopefully that opens up a spot, good luck!
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Ross
WE 1: Consultant

Kudos [?]: 6 [1] , given: 1

Re: Calling All NYU Stern Fall 2011 Waitlisters!! [#permalink] New post 10 Mar 2011, 18:46
This post received
KUDOS
Still waiting. Was waitlisted in January. This wait sucks :(
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Tepper Class of 2013
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 17 [1] , given: 24

Re: Calling All NYU Stern Fall 2011 Waitlisters!! [#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2011, 05:53
This post received
KUDOS
I got my first (and maybe only) admit yesterday, with a pretty significant $$ offer and Forte' Fellowship, at a school that I really love but has the disadvantage of being away from NYC (which matters to me for personal reasons). I'm wondering whether I should tell Stern, and whether it would make any difference. Opinions?
1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 87 [1] , given: 57

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling All NYU Stern Fall 2011 Waitlisters!! [#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2011, 07:05
This post received
KUDOS
cmv wrote:
I got my first (and maybe only) admit yesterday, with a pretty significant $$ offer and Forte' Fellowship, at a school that I really love but has the disadvantage of being away from NYC (which matters to me for personal reasons). I'm wondering whether I should tell Stern, and whether it would make any difference. Opinions?

Congrats on Tepper! It seems that admissions consultants say you shouldn't play schools off of each other (e.g., Linda Abraham's "9 Wait List Mistakes to Avoid"). There's some discussion in this thread: the-waitlist-dilemma-what-to-do-nice-article-43653.html Some would suggest that you should give your deposit to Tepper, and then if NYU subsequently accepts you (and you prefer NYU) then you just eat the deposit and go to NYU.

I don't really get this though. This is business school, and it's a business. IMO don't pressure NYU prematurely, but when it is getting closer to your Tepper deposit deadline I think it makes perfect sense to call them up and be honest about your situation. Given how slow NYU was to move people from the WL last year, you'll probably have to make a decision before you hear from them anyway.

1 KUDOS received
Current Student

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling All NYU Stern Fall 2011 Waitlisters!! [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2011, 05:35
This post received
KUDOS
Well, I just got a "you're still on the waitlist" update from SOM, and there is no sign of any update of any kind from Stern, so I've decided to withdraw from both waitlists and matriculate at Johnson.

Good luck all!

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling All NYU Stern Fall 2011 Waitlisters!! [#permalink] New post 01 Apr 2011, 06:58
This post received
KUDOS
paco90 wrote:
Hi guys... new to this list! I was expecting a ding thus its not that bad!!!

Does anyone knows more less when the decisions are released??? I know that in the stern site it says that they can come out until august... but it seems like a lot of time...

I was wait listed until August last year, without any communication from the adcom, then rejected. From the sheer number of people getting wait listed, I expect the same this year.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
WE 1: 5 years consulting

Kudos [?]: 5 [1] , given: 13

Re: Calling All NYU Stern Fall 2011 Waitlisters!! [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2011, 15:08
This post received
KUDOS
deea23 wrote:
Hi all,
Just got my WL letter, after interviewing, so I'm joining this list :)
Although it may be a silly question, I'll ask it anyway: is it possible to also receive any $$ from the school if admitted from the WL? Has it ever happened? I assume not, but I'm just trying to figure out if it's worth to wait.
I am now trying to figure out what to send as an update to improve my profile...
Thanks and good luck to everyone!

Yes, I know someone who is a first-year who was WL last year and then admitted and received some money. It's because they offer money to those they admit and then when those decline their offers, they have money left over. For some reason, schools give it to those from the WL instead of those that were initially admitted. Not great for them, but works for WL'ers.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling All NYU Stern Fall 2011 Waitlisters!! [#permalink] New post 15 Apr 2011, 12:16
This post received
KUDOS
STF wrote:
Additional material...what are the better/smarter ways to improve your package in WL case? I assume 'trying to hard' can also be a turn off.

Based on everything I've read (but not personal experience as I haven't got off a WL), send them a letter (sooner rather than later) that:

1) Reiterates your commitment to Stern. Make it clear that if they admit you, you will improve their yield, not detract from it (i.e., tell them they are your first choice);

2) Conveys any new, relevant information that wasn't captured in your app; and

3) Reiterates and/or conveys your UNIQUE value proposition. Make it clear why they need you in the class.

I understand your concern about "trying too hard" but don't think that means you should play hard-to-get. This is an elite business school, not an insecure chick you met at the bar. They have a large pool of exceptional candidates to choose from -- you need to highlight why/how you stand out. Good luck!

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: All R2 - Booth(attending w/$), Kellogg(WL w/int then ding), CBS(ding w/int), Harvard(ding), NYU(admit), UCLA PT(admit), USC PT(admit)

Kudos [?]: 5 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling All NYU Stern Fall 2011 Waitlisters!! [#permalink] New post 25 Apr 2011, 08:42
This post received
KUDOS
Hi wait listers - I'm letting NYU know that I won't be attending - hopefully that will open up a spot for one of you! Best of luck.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 4

Re: Calling All NYU Stern Fall 2011 Waitlisters!! [#permalink] New post 13 May 2011, 06:51
This post received
KUDOS
misterp wrote:
ghinderbelle what quant course are you taking?

looking to take one even for future reference

cheers

I'm taking an online UCLA Extension Course- Math for Management. It's a work at your own pace type of course which could be great or really bad- depending on your time management skills. I signed up for this class for two reasons: material and timing.

As an Econ major, I had already taken Stats, Calc, Micro & Macro economics courses. If you haven't taken any of these courses in your undergrad I would recommend taking these first- any local university should be sufficient. If you have, the ideal course would somehow use basics that you have already mastered and teach you something new- without teaching you the things you will address in business school itself. It's hard to find a happy medium but I felt that this course in particular did a good job at using (or refresing ) the basics and applying new material in a business context.

http://www.mbamath.com/status/coursesummaryapplying.htm

http://cb.hbsp.harvard.edu/cb/product/3350-HTM-ENG

http://www.bnet.fordham.edu/files/pre-mba.pdf

There are many pre-mba courses available (see above links), but just because they fall under the pre-mba umbrella doesn't mean you should take it- so just make sure the class teaches you something new. UCLA has an online- instructed Math for Management that is not part of the extension courses, has great reviews and starts in June:
http://www.online.ucla.edu/management400.htm

If It weren't for the timing I would have taken this one. The course I'm taking now started March 30, 3 days after I was waitlisted. And timing is everything when you are on the wait list.

I hope this helps!
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [1] , given: 14

Re: Calling All NYU Stern Fall 2011 Waitlisters!! [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2011, 09:15
This post received
KUDOS
futurestrategist wrote:
widerangeinput wrote:
got dinged after almost 4 months of waiting. good luck to others...

Sorry to hear that. I'm sure things will work out regardless of NYU. Did you hear of this via email or you manually checked the website? I haven't heard anything yet and do not see a change.

got an email- application updated notifier. logged in and learned that they regret to inform me of something...
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling All NYU Stern Fall 2011 Waitlisters!! [#permalink] New post 21 Jun 2011, 02:42
This post received
KUDOS
If history shows anything, only waitlisters who were interviewed stand a real chance at this point.
And even then the chances aren't high for the people who interviewed. All the other waitlisters are there just a decoration.
NYU is all about business. It seems the waitlist they have is as big as the class.
And they keep as many good candidates on waitlist till end of August to confirm their class is full then they ding them all at once.
The adcom has a strategy of buying time by making things vague and claiming they are still studying your application.
The adcom keeps the waitlisters from committing to other plans, even though they know chances are they won't be admitted to NYU.
The adcom dings a few people every other few weeks just to show the list is moving.
The reality is it is not about dings, but about how many new applicants are being accepted at this period.
Good luck to remaining waitlisters.

forums.businessweek. com/n/pfx/forum.aspx?tsn=71&nav=messages&webtag=bw-bschools&tid=75213
gmatclub. com /forum/calling-all-nyu-fall-2010-applicants-80187-1020.html
Manager
Manager
Schools: Tepper Class of 2013

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 24

Re: Calling All NYU Stern Fall 2011 Waitlisters!! [#permalink] New post 11 Jan 2011, 10:41
Checking in. Hope it's not for the loooong haul.
Current Student
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 295

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling All NYU Stern Fall 2011 Waitlisters!! [#permalink] New post 11 Jan 2011, 10:42
Count me in.

The key question that I have about the people who successfully got off the waitlist. What have they done to get off the waitlist and how did they inform Stern AdCom?
Intern
Intern
Schools: Haas (waitlist), NYU (waitlist), UCLA (interview), Columbia (ding), MIT (ding), Kellogg (ding)
WE 1: 7 years WE

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 4

Re: Calling All NYU Stern Fall 2011 Waitlisters!! [#permalink] New post 11 Jan 2011, 11:00
Count me in too. I thought that if people are waitlisted without an interview, then they have a chance to request an interview to improve their chances of getting off? But the FAQ doesn't say anything about that. I'm wondering if I should call to see if I can interview. I'm in Brooklyn and going to NYU is not a problem at all. I'm also wondering if I should re-purpose and re-position some of the essays I did for other schools to tell them more about myself.
Manager
Manager
Schools: Booth R1 (WL), NYU R1 (WL), Kellogg JD/MBA R2, Tepper R2, Ross R2 (admit)
WE 1: Mortgage
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 8

Re: Calling All NYU Stern Fall 2011 Waitlisters!! [#permalink] New post 11 Jan 2011, 11:02
I'll join this club as well! I'm actually considering re-taking the GMAT (even though it will be pure hell), as it seems like per the waitlist letter Stern places a lot of importance on that, regardless of whether or not you increase your score.

As for other updates, they provide an email address in the letter for sending in additional information.
Intern
Intern
Schools: Haas (waitlist), NYU (waitlist), UCLA (interview), Columbia (ding), MIT (ding), Kellogg (ding)
WE 1: 7 years WE

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 4

Re: Calling All NYU Stern Fall 2011 Waitlisters!! [#permalink] New post 11 Jan 2011, 11:17
Anyone want to call them up and say, "Hey, I got into Columbia, but NYU is my first choice." It might work :)
Re: Calling All NYU Stern Fall 2011 Waitlisters!!   [#permalink] 11 Jan 2011, 11:17