Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 26 Nov 2014, 06:06

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Stern 2012 - Calling All Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, International Business
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 2

Re: Stern 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 06 Nov 2011, 05:07
cwhs wrote:
thehusain wrote:
cwhs wrote:
Great! Make sure you visit the school, contact current students to get their perspectives, and do your homework. It'll pay dividends when it comes to essays. This is true for any school, but Stern will take notice if you've taken your time to learn about the school, and know why it's special for you.

Hi cwhs,

I am working in Mumbai, India. There was an event by Stern admissions team in Mumbai but I was out of town for work and hence could not attend that event. Also, I've searched the website for options to connect with alumni but haven't found any such option. Within my contacts, I don't know anyone who has attended Stern or knows someone who has attended Stern. I've read many student blogs and other websites (including gmatclub) for information on Stern. Will this be sufficient for essay 2? Can I contact you to learn some more about Stern?

Thanks

Did you try to reach out to the student ambassadors? They are there to help out with your questions.

http://www.stern.nyu.edu/programs-admis ... /index.htm

I am perfectly okay with answering your questions too but if you go through them it is enough proof that you've done your work. If you rather reach out to me instead, send me a private message and ask your questions.

Definitly get in touch with the Students Ambassadors. They are so helpful. You can arrange a call with them and ask all your questions. They can also put you in contact with someone in your goal industry if you are a carreer switcher.
I din't try that but there must be a way to get in touch with alumni in your city...
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2014
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 4

Re: Stern 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 11 Nov 2011, 20:52
app2012 wrote:
I have a question on Stern's essay-1. In this question it says "why MBA" and goal after Stern MBA...
In this part, how much I should mention about Stern specific aspects and why MbA from stern given that Essay-2 is all about Stern?

I have the same question. I wrote essay 1 with the intention of explaining "Why Stern?" in essay 2, but it feels strange not to include any specifics about Stern in essay 1. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? I'm trying to figure out if I need to restructure my first essay.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Stern 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 11 Nov 2011, 21:23
in for R1 and after a Booth and Wharton reject I am sincerely hoping this one works !
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, International Business
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 2

Re: Stern 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Nov 2011, 01:02
ls413 wrote:
app2012 wrote:
I have a question on Stern's essay-1. In this question it says "why MBA" and goal after Stern MBA...
In this part, how much I should mention about Stern specific aspects and why MbA from stern given that Essay-2 is all about Stern?

I have the same question. I wrote essay 1 with the intention of explaining "Why Stern?" in essay 2, but it feels strange not to include any specifics about Stern in essay 1. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? I'm trying to figure out if I need to restructure my first essay.

I did mention very briefly why Stern in the first essay. Try to have minimum overlap between first and second essay.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: Q V
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 80 [0], given: 157

Re: Stern 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Nov 2011, 10:05
The Website states that Essay 3, in an envelope, should be postmarked by the deadline date. I suppose it means that they should receive it by Nov 15.

Are the admissions strict on recieving the Essay 3, in an envelope, by Nov 15. My mail may reach them by Nov 16, will it affect it much?
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
GMAT 1: 600 Q V
GMAT 2: 730 Q47 V44
GPA: 3.69
WE: Marketing (Hospitality and Tourism)

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 6

Re: Stern 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Nov 2011, 15:48
BlueRobin wrote:
The Website states that Essay 3, in an envelope, should be postmarked by the deadline date. I suppose it means that they should receive it by Nov 15.

Are the admissions strict on recieving the Essay 3, in an envelope, by Nov 15. My mail may reach them by Nov 16, will it affect it much?

i took it to mean the post office has to postmark it as received by nov 15...i sure hope that's the case since i put mine out to be picked up the mail man today...

Help advise me on where to matriculate! help-booth-vs-stern-vs-ross-129563.html

Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 8

Re: Stern 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Nov 2011, 23:40
SalarymanJ wrote:
gpb14 wrote:
I've got a few questions for the current students (or anyone else who may know). I originally intended to apply in R1 but don't think I'll have a solid application ready in time. Can you guys help me with the following questions:

1) Stern's website says R1 applicants are given priority consideration to merit scholarships. How much of an advantage do they have? For example, are 75% of scholarships typically awarded to R1 applicants?

2)Is there an advantage to applying earlier in R2 (e.g., December 1 vs. January 15)? I'm still confused by Stern's concept of rolling admissions. Do they review earlier applications first, or do they simply render decisions on a rolling basis (regardless of when you submitted)?

Thanks!

1). Of students with Stern scholarships I talked to, all of them received them in R1. I think Stern gives the majority of the scholarships out in R1 partly because R2 is so late in the year and they need to be competitive with other schools so if you are applying in R2 you will need to be really good or really lucky to get one. I would encourage you to apply in R1 if at all possible.

2). What I have been told was that no applications are looked at until the deadline for that round. I know that is the case for R1, but not as sure about R2. I seem to recall someone last year getting an interview invite for R2 before the R2 deadline, but I that person had someone "important" (no idea who) call the school. I would recommend contacting the admissions office for a definitive answer. I am fairly sure they will say they do not review apps until after the deadline.

Class of 2013 Sternie here. Regarding scholarships, a number of people including myself got ours in R2. The common pattern seems to be really high GMAT scores like at least higher than 730, not necessarily impressive backgrounds. I would say Stern is very generous with scholarships and if you want to get one, either 1) apply early or 2) ace the GMAT.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: Q V
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 80 [0], given: 157

Re: Stern 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 13 Nov 2011, 07:32
chynaxdawl wrote:
BlueRobin wrote:

i took it to mean the post office has to postmark it as received by nov 15...i sure hope that's the case since i put mine out to be picked up the mail man today...

I am not sure, but I think postmarked here refers to the date that Stern received the package, not the post office.

If you found the reply to be helpful, give kudos.

Manager
Manager

Re: Stern 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 14 Nov 2011, 08:01
BlueRobin wrote:
chynaxdawl wrote:
BlueRobin wrote:

I am not sure, but I think postmarked here refers to the date that Stern received the package, not the post office.

i sent an email to admissions because i was worried about what you said. i've copy/pasted their response:
Thank you for your email, and for taking the time to follow up. Postmark date refers to the date stamped on an item of mail when processed by the Postal Service.

The Admissions Committee will begin reviewing applications to NYU Stern's Full-time MBA program beginning in Fall 2012 after the November 15, 2011 deadline. Within a few weeks of that date, you will receive an email acknowledging receipt of your application, and providing you with login information for our Application Status Check Website. Information regarding the status of your application as well as information about any potential missing material will be communicated via the Application Status Check Website.

Intern
Intern
Concentration: International Business, General Management
GMAT 1: 670 Q V
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42
WE: Corporate Finance (Investment Banking)

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 2

Re: Stern 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 15 Nov 2011, 07:39
I have a quick question regarding the NYU Stern work history form.

Given the proposed layout I'm concerned with these boxes:

Position/Title - I have a number of promotions and have changed career mid-way through my experience, the Stern Work History form seems to leave little room to 1) explain my responsibilities in each role (more so than the few achievements as listed in my CV) 2) provide more than a couple of words of text for each box (at least this is the impression I get when the template is in excel)

Reason for leaving - is promotion sufficient if I am remaining with the same employer, or are you guys just listing your most senior role at each job?

Other apps seem to give more room to outline what you have done and your responsibilities with each employer/associated with a promotion. I would really appreciate it if someone could give me some feedback here, I don't want to be to brief but I think a 5 inch box full of text just looks weird/isn't what they are asking for here....

Thanks!

"Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge" Darwin

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Finance
Schools: Cornell (Johnson) - Class of 2014
WE: Engineering (Telecommunications)
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 76

Reviews Badge
Re: Stern 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 15 Nov 2011, 08:00
Just submitted Rd1 Consortium as of last night w/ NYU as my first choice.

Good luck all
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Real Estate, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V42
GPA: 3.33
WE: General Management (Real Estate)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 10

Re: Stern 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 15 Nov 2011, 09:01
Submitted my app last night. What's the earliest that anyone has submitted? Hoping I didn't submit too terribly late in the game.
Current Student
Affiliations: Volunteer Operation Smile India, Creative Head of College IEEE branch (2009-10), Chief Editor College Magazine (2009), Finance Head College Magazine (2008)
WE2: Entrepreneur (E-commerce - The Laptop Skin Vault)
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
WE: Marketing (Other)
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 87 [0], given: 24

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Stern 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 15 Nov 2011, 09:06
KPrizzle wrote:
Submitted my app last night. What's the earliest that anyone has submitted? Hoping I didn't submit too terribly late in the game.

They don't start reviewing till after the first deadline anyway. That too in random order.

Kidchaos

http://www.laptopskinvault.com

Follow The Laptop Skin Vault on:
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/TheLaptopSkinVault
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/LaptopSkinVault

Consider Kudos if you think the Post is good
Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot. Nothing is going to change. It's not. - Dr. Seuss

Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: Q V0
GMAT 2: Q V
GPA: 3.77
Followers: 161

Kudos [?]: 540 [0], given: 536

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Stern 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 15 Nov 2011, 12:50
Submission Status: Submitted
Submitted Date: 11/15/2011 2:37:00 PM EST

Follow me, if you find my explanations useful.

Audaces fortuna juvat!

Take a Survey about GMAT Prep - Win Prizes!

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Accounting
GMAT 1: 760 Q43 V50
GPA: 3.54
WE: Accounting (Investment Banking)

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

Re: Stern 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2011, 08:31
It's a hellishly long wait for NYU to start releasing interview invites! Not only is their deadline 4 or 5 weeks after most other top schools but they take 3 months to turn around interview invites rather than 6 weeks!

That has to be a part of why their yield is so low - by the time they get a decision out to people some schools will have issued round 2 decisions!

I assume they must release interviews during that period and we don't all have to wait til Jan or Feb before we hear anything at all from them?
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Marketing
GMAT 1: 710 Q V
GPA: 3.72

Re: Stern 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2011, 08:40
kickinback wrote:
I assume they must release interviews during that period and we don't all have to wait til Jan or Feb before we hear anything at all from them?

When I went to campus I specifically asked a member of the AdCom that question and they said that most, if not all, interview decisions will come out on February 15. There is a slight chance that you can hear before then, but not likely. She also said (because I asked her what to do if we have to make decisions about other programs before the February 15 date) that if you do have other looming deadlines to call and let them know, but they can't make any promises that they will get to make an interview decision before then. Very annoying it's so late.
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: Stern 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2011, 09:12
jessikins231 wrote:
kickinback wrote:

When I went to campus I specifically asked a member of the AdCom that question and they said that most, if not all, interview decisions will come out on February 15. There is a slight chance that you can hear before then, but not likely. She also said (because I asked her what to do if we have to make decisions about other programs before the February 15 date) that if you do have other looming deadlines to call and let them know, but they can't make any promises that they will get to make an interview decision before then. Very annoying it's so late.

I think that late interview invites and decision releases are made intentionally to attract only most commited people.

Audaces fortuna juvat!

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Marketing
GMAT 1: 710 Q V
GPA: 3.72

Re: Stern 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2011, 15:00
PTK wrote:
jessikins231 wrote:
kickinback wrote:

I think that late interview invites and decision releases are made intentionally to attract only most commited people.

Oh, I agree, but I'm also not going to turn down another program that gives me an offer just for the possibility that I get an interview from Stern, not even an offer of admission. Makes it difficult.
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: Stern 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2011, 20:32
Well in this case yup will withdraw your application and This will not affect the school's yield rate.

Audaces fortuna juvat!

Manager
Manager

Re: Stern 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 18 Nov 2011, 14:58
i can't believe how slow the activity is on this thread...i thought a lot of people would want to apply to stern. i thought it'd pick up when the deadline approached but still so quiet...

well, anyways...i got a notification this morning that they've received my application and it's being presented to the adcom for review. my supplemental materials that i mailed in were delivered yesterday.

Re: Stern 2012 - Calling All Applicants   [#permalink] 18 Nov 2011, 14:58