Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 07:13

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Stern 2012 - Calling All Applicants

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 08 Sep 2011
Posts: 78
Concentration: Finance, International Business
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 2

Re: Stern 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2011, 07:12
Hi everyone,
I am applying to Stern first round. I was wondering what do you guys put in the box: "Please list any other graduate schools to which you are applying, including other programs at NYU Stern or New York University." ?
Do you leave it blank (which comes to say: 1) Stern is the only school I am applying or 2) I am applying to other schools but I won't tell you) or do you actually mention the other schools you are applying?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 12 Apr 2010
Posts: 447
GMAT 1: Q V
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 80 [0], given: 157

Re: Stern 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2011, 07:25
mbagirl23 wrote:
Hi everyone,
I am applying to Stern first round. I was wondering what do you guys put in the box: "Please list any other graduate schools to which you are applying, including other programs at NYU Stern or New York University." ?
Do you leave it blank (which comes to say: 1) Stern is the only school I am applying or 2) I am applying to other schools but I won't tell you) or do you actually mention the other schools you are applying?


If it is the only school your applying then you dont have to enter anything. It hardly matters if you entered any other school or not.
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 18 Jan 2010
Posts: 185
Schools: Stern '13 (M)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 2

Re: Stern 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2011, 11:36
When I applied I listed the six other schools I applied to. Didn't matter at all. Just be prepared to explain why stern over other schools when you interview.

Posted from my mobile device Image
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 08 Sep 2011
Posts: 78
Concentration: Finance, International Business
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 2

Re: Stern 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2011, 00:56
SalarymanJ wrote:
When I applied I listed the six other schools I applied to. Didn't matter at all. Just be prepared to explain why stern over other schools when you interview.

Posted from my mobile device Image


thanx for the advice. I already have the answer to that question... :wink:

I know it's early... but one can dream. How does the interview invitation process work? I am based in Europe but depending on when comes the invitation I could arrange to come to NY. I think it's nicer to be able to interview on campus, and probably quicker. I know they organise interviews in London but I beleive this is around March, and sounds like in a very long time to me! Do they give you the choice? How flexible is that?
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 18 Jan 2010
Posts: 185
Schools: Stern '13 (M)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 2

Re: Stern 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2011, 13:09
mbagirl23 wrote:
SalarymanJ wrote:
When I applied I listed the six other schools I applied to. Didn't matter at all. Just be prepared to explain why stern over other schools when you interview.

Posted from my mobile device Image


thanx for the advice. I already have the answer to that question... :wink:

I know it's early... but one can dream. How does the interview invitation process work? I am based in Europe but depending on when comes the invitation I could arrange to come to NY. I think it's nicer to be able to interview on campus, and probably quicker. I know they organise interviews in London but I beleive this is around March, and sounds like in a very long time to me! Do they give you the choice? How flexible is that?


Interview invites start trickling out around 3 weeks after the application deadline and will continue to come out every week until may-ish. If you can get to NY to interview on campus I would. It would show them you favor NYU and they are pretty into that. I don't know if it makes a huge difference for interviewing in london vs US as far as admittance, but the sooner you get your interview done the better.

-J
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 08 Sep 2011
Posts: 78
Concentration: Finance, International Business
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 2

Re: Stern 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 03 Nov 2011, 09:03
I have an existential question regarding essay 4.
I am from France, and the grading system is VERY different from the US. Not just because we are graded on a 0-20 scale but also because in France 14 for example is considered a very good grade. Teachers like to make jokes about the fact that 20 doesn't exist, 19 is God, 18 is the teacher, 17 is the freak/nerd/geek of the class ... so we are actually graded on 16!
Then it varies from one school to another, usually private schools give you better grades but very much depends.
So here come my question, does Stern adcoms know about this? Should I use essay 4 to explain? How do I explain that without sounding like I'm trying to justify a poor GPA?

thank you for your help!
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 02 Feb 2010
Posts: 246
Schools: Stern '13
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 42 [0], given: 16

Re: Stern 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 03 Nov 2011, 10:35
mbagirl23 wrote:
I have an existential question regarding essay 4.
I am from France, and the grading system is VERY different from the US. Not just because we are graded on a 0-20 scale but also because in France 14 for example is considered a very good grade. Teachers like to make jokes about the fact that 20 doesn't exist, 19 is God, 18 is the teacher, 17 is the freak/nerd/geek of the class ... so we are actually graded on 16!
Then it varies from one school to another, usually private schools give you better grades but very much depends.
So here come my question, does Stern adcoms know about this? Should I use essay 4 to explain? How do I explain that without sounding like I'm trying to justify a poor GPA?

thank you for your help!


They know differences in difficulty/grading between various countries -- I wouldn't worry about it.
_________________

Like the response? Kudos it!

Intern
Intern
avatar
Affiliations: CA, CFA
Joined: 06 May 2011
Posts: 17
Location: India
Concentration: Real Estate, Strategy
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V37
WE: Asset Management (Venture Capital)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 3

Re: Stern 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 03 Nov 2011, 11:30
cwhs wrote:
Great! Make sure you visit the school, contact current students to get their perspectives, and do your homework. It'll pay dividends when it comes to essays. This is true for any school, but Stern will take notice if you've taken your time to learn about the school, and know why it's special for you.


Hi cwhs,

I am working in Mumbai, India. There was an event by Stern admissions team in Mumbai but I was out of town for work and hence could not attend that event. Also, I've searched the website for options to connect with alumni but haven't found any such option. Within my contacts, I don't know anyone who has attended Stern or knows someone who has attended Stern. I've read many student blogs and other websites (including gmatclub) for information on Stern. Will this be sufficient for essay 2? Can I contact you to learn some more about Stern?

Thanks
Manager
Manager
avatar
Status: Essays writing
Joined: 16 Apr 2011
Posts: 75
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V38
WE: Research (Health Care)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 1

Re: Stern 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 03 Nov 2011, 18:23
I have a question on Stern's essay-1. In this question it says "why MBA" and goal after Stern MBA...
In this part, how much I should mention about Stern specific aspects and why MbA from stern given that Essay-2 is all about Stern?
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 02 Feb 2010
Posts: 246
Schools: Stern '13
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 42 [1] , given: 16

Re: Stern 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Nov 2011, 19:01
1
This post received
KUDOS
thehusain wrote:
cwhs wrote:
Great! Make sure you visit the school, contact current students to get their perspectives, and do your homework. It'll pay dividends when it comes to essays. This is true for any school, but Stern will take notice if you've taken your time to learn about the school, and know why it's special for you.


Hi cwhs,

I am working in Mumbai, India. There was an event by Stern admissions team in Mumbai but I was out of town for work and hence could not attend that event. Also, I've searched the website for options to connect with alumni but haven't found any such option. Within my contacts, I don't know anyone who has attended Stern or knows someone who has attended Stern. I've read many student blogs and other websites (including gmatclub) for information on Stern. Will this be sufficient for essay 2? Can I contact you to learn some more about Stern?

Thanks


Did you try to reach out to the student ambassadors? They are there to help out with your questions.

http://www.stern.nyu.edu/programs-admis ... /index.htm

I am perfectly okay with answering your questions too but if you go through them it is enough proof that you've done your work. If you rather reach out to me instead, send me a private message and ask your questions.
_________________

Like the response? Kudos it!

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 08 Sep 2011
Posts: 78
Concentration: Finance, International Business
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 2

Re: Stern 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 06 Nov 2011, 05:07
cwhs wrote:
thehusain wrote:
cwhs wrote:
Great! Make sure you visit the school, contact current students to get their perspectives, and do your homework. It'll pay dividends when it comes to essays. This is true for any school, but Stern will take notice if you've taken your time to learn about the school, and know why it's special for you.


Hi cwhs,

I am working in Mumbai, India. There was an event by Stern admissions team in Mumbai but I was out of town for work and hence could not attend that event. Also, I've searched the website for options to connect with alumni but haven't found any such option. Within my contacts, I don't know anyone who has attended Stern or knows someone who has attended Stern. I've read many student blogs and other websites (including gmatclub) for information on Stern. Will this be sufficient for essay 2? Can I contact you to learn some more about Stern?

Thanks


Did you try to reach out to the student ambassadors? They are there to help out with your questions.

http://www.stern.nyu.edu/programs-admis ... /index.htm

I am perfectly okay with answering your questions too but if you go through them it is enough proof that you've done your work. If you rather reach out to me instead, send me a private message and ask your questions.


Definitly get in touch with the Students Ambassadors. They are so helpful. You can arrange a call with them and ask all your questions. They can also put you in contact with someone in your goal industry if you are a carreer switcher.
I din't try that but there must be a way to get in touch with alumni in your city...
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 17 Jul 2011
Posts: 132
Location: United States
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2014
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 4

Re: Stern 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 11 Nov 2011, 20:52
app2012 wrote:
I have a question on Stern's essay-1. In this question it says "why MBA" and goal after Stern MBA...
In this part, how much I should mention about Stern specific aspects and why MbA from stern given that Essay-2 is all about Stern?


I have the same question. I wrote essay 1 with the intention of explaining "Why Stern?" in essay 2, but it feels strange not to include any specifics about Stern in essay 1. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? I'm trying to figure out if I need to restructure my first essay.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 12 Feb 2011
Posts: 16
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Stern 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 11 Nov 2011, 21:23
in for R1 and after a Booth and Wharton reject I am sincerely hoping this one works !
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 08 Sep 2011
Posts: 78
Concentration: Finance, International Business
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 2

Re: Stern 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Nov 2011, 01:02
ls413 wrote:
app2012 wrote:
I have a question on Stern's essay-1. In this question it says "why MBA" and goal after Stern MBA...
In this part, how much I should mention about Stern specific aspects and why MbA from stern given that Essay-2 is all about Stern?


I have the same question. I wrote essay 1 with the intention of explaining "Why Stern?" in essay 2, but it feels strange not to include any specifics about Stern in essay 1. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? I'm trying to figure out if I need to restructure my first essay.


I did mention very briefly why Stern in the first essay. Try to have minimum overlap between first and second essay.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 12 Apr 2010
Posts: 447
GMAT 1: Q V
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 80 [0], given: 157

Re: Stern 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Nov 2011, 10:05
The Website states that Essay 3, in an envelope, should be postmarked by the deadline date. I suppose it means that they should receive it by Nov 15.

Are the admissions strict on recieving the Essay 3, in an envelope, by Nov 15. My mail may reach them by Nov 16, will it affect it much?
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 29 Jun 2011
Posts: 154
Location: United States
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
GMAT 1: 600 Q V
GMAT 2: 730 Q47 V44
GPA: 3.69
WE: Marketing (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 6

Re: Stern 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Nov 2011, 15:48
BlueRobin wrote:
The Website states that Essay 3, in an envelope, should be postmarked by the deadline date. I suppose it means that they should receive it by Nov 15.

Are the admissions strict on recieving the Essay 3, in an envelope, by Nov 15. My mail may reach them by Nov 16, will it affect it much?


i took it to mean the post office has to postmark it as received by nov 15...i sure hope that's the case since i put mine out to be picked up the mail man today...
_________________

Help advise me on where to matriculate! help-booth-vs-stern-vs-ross-129563.html

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 09 Jun 2010
Posts: 79
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 8

Re: Stern 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Nov 2011, 23:40
SalarymanJ wrote:
gpb14 wrote:
I've got a few questions for the current students (or anyone else who may know). I originally intended to apply in R1 but don't think I'll have a solid application ready in time. Can you guys help me with the following questions:

1) Stern's website says R1 applicants are given priority consideration to merit scholarships. How much of an advantage do they have? For example, are 75% of scholarships typically awarded to R1 applicants?

2)Is there an advantage to applying earlier in R2 (e.g., December 1 vs. January 15)? I'm still confused by Stern's concept of rolling admissions. Do they review earlier applications first, or do they simply render decisions on a rolling basis (regardless of when you submitted)?

Thanks!


1). Of students with Stern scholarships I talked to, all of them received them in R1. I think Stern gives the majority of the scholarships out in R1 partly because R2 is so late in the year and they need to be competitive with other schools so if you are applying in R2 you will need to be really good or really lucky to get one. I would encourage you to apply in R1 if at all possible.

2). What I have been told was that no applications are looked at until the deadline for that round. I know that is the case for R1, but not as sure about R2. I seem to recall someone last year getting an interview invite for R2 before the R2 deadline, but I that person had someone "important" (no idea who) call the school. I would recommend contacting the admissions office for a definitive answer. I am fairly sure they will say they do not review apps until after the deadline.


Class of 2013 Sternie here. Regarding scholarships, a number of people including myself got ours in R2. The common pattern seems to be really high GMAT scores like at least higher than 730, not necessarily impressive backgrounds. I would say Stern is very generous with scholarships and if you want to get one, either 1) apply early or 2) ace the GMAT.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 12 Apr 2010
Posts: 447
GMAT 1: Q V
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 80 [0], given: 157

Re: Stern 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 13 Nov 2011, 07:32
chynaxdawl wrote:
BlueRobin wrote:
The Website states that Essay 3, in an envelope, should be postmarked by the deadline date. I suppose it means that they should receive it by Nov 15.

Are the admissions strict on recieving the Essay 3, in an envelope, by Nov 15. My mail may reach them by Nov 16, will it affect it much?


i took it to mean the post office has to postmark it as received by nov 15...i sure hope that's the case since i put mine out to be picked up the mail man today...


I am not sure, but I think postmarked here refers to the date that Stern received the package, not the post office.
_________________

If you found the reply to be helpful, give kudos.

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 29 Jun 2011
Posts: 154
Location: United States
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
GMAT 1: 600 Q V
GMAT 2: 730 Q47 V44
GPA: 3.69
WE: Marketing (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 6

Re: Stern 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 14 Nov 2011, 08:01
BlueRobin wrote:
chynaxdawl wrote:
BlueRobin wrote:
The Website states that Essay 3, in an envelope, should be postmarked by the deadline date. I suppose it means that they should receive it by Nov 15.

Are the admissions strict on recieving the Essay 3, in an envelope, by Nov 15. My mail may reach them by Nov 16, will it affect it much?


i took it to mean the post office has to postmark it as received by nov 15...i sure hope that's the case since i put mine out to be picked up the mail man today...


I am not sure, but I think postmarked here refers to the date that Stern received the package, not the post office.


i sent an email to admissions because i was worried about what you said. i've copy/pasted their response:
Thank you for your email, and for taking the time to follow up. Postmark date refers to the date stamped on an item of mail when processed by the Postal Service.

The Admissions Committee will begin reviewing applications to NYU Stern's Full-time MBA program beginning in Fall 2012 after the November 15, 2011 deadline. Within a few weeks of that date, you will receive an email acknowledging receipt of your application, and providing you with login information for our Application Status Check Website. Information regarding the status of your application as well as information about any potential missing material will be communicated via the Application Status Check Website.
_________________

Help advise me on where to matriculate! help-booth-vs-stern-vs-ross-129563.html

Intern
Intern
avatar
Status: Applying
Joined: 30 Jun 2010
Posts: 34
Concentration: International Business, General Management
GMAT 1: 670 Q V
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42
WE: Corporate Finance (Investment Banking)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 2

Re: Stern 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 15 Nov 2011, 07:39
I have a quick question regarding the NYU Stern work history form.

Given the proposed layout I'm concerned with these boxes:

Position/Title - I have a number of promotions and have changed career mid-way through my experience, the Stern Work History form seems to leave little room to 1) explain my responsibilities in each role (more so than the few achievements as listed in my CV) 2) provide more than a couple of words of text for each box (at least this is the impression I get when the template is in excel)

Reason for leaving - is promotion sufficient if I am remaining with the same employer, or are you guys just listing your most senior role at each job?


Other apps seem to give more room to outline what you have done and your responsibilities with each employer/associated with a promotion. I would really appreciate it if someone could give me some feedback here, I don't want to be to brief but I think a 5 inch box full of text just looks weird/isn't what they are asking for here....

Thanks!
_________________

"Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge" Darwin

Re: Stern 2012 - Calling All Applicants   [#permalink] 15 Nov 2011, 07:39
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
46 Experts publish their posts in the topic Stern 2012 - Calling All Applicants cwhs 709 07 Jul 2011, 10:00
Calling All NYU Stern Fall 2012 Waitlisters!! Wolverinemba 3 26 Feb 2012, 22:36
12 Experts publish their posts in the topic Stern Part-Time Fall 2012 - Calling All Applicants stompasaurus 201 08 Sep 2011, 02:02
174 Experts publish their posts in the topic Wharton 2012 - Calling All Applicants mpg2011 2335 30 Apr 2011, 12:40
Calling all NYU Stern applications... lanter1 46 20 Aug 2007, 12:32
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Stern 2012 - Calling All Applicants

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  36    Next  [ 710 posts ] 



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.