Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Sep 2014, 00:14

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Stern 2012 - Calling All Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
2 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Stern '13
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 42 [2] , given: 16

GMAT Tests User
Stern 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2011, 10:00
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED

NYU Stern 2012 - Calling All Applicants

Stern - GMAT Club Business School Guide

NYU SternApplicant Summary (Real Time)

Quick Glance: GMAT Club vs. Latest Intake (Class of 2013)

Latest GMAT Club Member Profile Updates

Detailed Applicant List: Add Yourself to This List (add Stern to your profile)

GMAT Club's Real-time Admissions Statistics

Add Your Profile to This List
Questions about this Roll Call?

Like the response? Kudos it!

Last edited by rasta on 21 Dec 2011, 09:54, edited 2 times in total.
Updated
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
3 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 42 [3] , given: 16

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all NYU Stern Fall 2012 Applicants [#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2011, 21:15
This post received
KUDOS
I will soon be a current student, and I would be happy to answer any questions you may have... Good luck to everyone!

3 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Sustainability
GMAT 1: Q V
WE: Business Development (Commercial Banking)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 14 [3] , given: 0

Re: Stern 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 06 Dec 2011, 08:59
This post received
KUDOS
Just had my interview with a member of the admissions committee. It was about 30 minutes long and very friendly/casual. It went by really quick. They gave me a Stern t-shirt when I signed-in as well as a packet of information about Stern that is specifically tailored to my interests. The interviewer had a glass of water on her desk waiting for me when I walked into the room. She started by giving me a background about herself and then jumped into questions. Questions were as follows (not necessarily in this order but it's the best I could recall from memory):

- Walk me through your resume
- What have you learned in your current job that will help you in your future goals?
- Describe what you do at your job
- If your goals do not pan out, do you have alternative career choices?
- What do you consider to be your greatest achievement at work? Greatest failure?
- Can you reiterate your short-term goals?
- Is there anything you want to tell me that I have not already asked you?
- What do you plan on doing at Stern while you are here?
- What convinced you to apply to Stern?
- Do you have any questions for me?

As most of you probably know, the interviews are NOT blind. The interviewer has thoroughly read your application beforehand and will ask you questions about your goals and ambitions. Make sure you have a thorough knowledge of the school, its programs and culture, extracurricular activities, etc. Do your research please. Stern is huge on "fit". She told me that it sounds like I knew a lot about Stern already and "did [my] homework".

She told me to expect a decision back before the holidays - i.e. in two weeks or less. Talk about fast.
3 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Real Estate, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q V
GMAT 2: Q V
GPA: 3.6
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 23 [3] , given: 16

Re: Stern 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 10 Feb 2012, 06:25
This post received
KUDOS
wpye86 wrote:
Man what else they can reject you on if they compare with the girl with GMAT 690?

???
seriously???

I'm sure both have great backgrounds, but how about: "fit with Stern", "post MBA goals", "Why MBA", etc. Essays (as well as recommendations, ECs, etc.) ARE important!
2 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 42 [2] , given: 16

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all NYU Stern Fall 2012 Applicants [#permalink] New post 13 Jul 2011, 21:31
This post received
KUDOS
prabshan wrote:
@cwhs: Thanks for offering to support. Any tips/techniques please do share.
Could you please share your background information? Schools applied? what made you choose Stern?

-Cheers

You're welcome prabshan. I have a background in IT consulting, and though I'm originally from Europe I've been living in the States for a long time. I had a decent GMAT score (see to the left), strong extra-curriculars, and apparently good essays. I went to an average school for undergrad... I was admitted to Stern and Tuck in the end, and withdrew from Booth's waitlist.

As to why I chose Stern... I'm looking to get into finance after graduation, and Stern is just one of those schools that absolutely shine at finance. They are just a subway ride away from the Wall Street so they have extremely good connections with the people that matter. Also, I found them to be true to their down-to-earth down-to-business motto. People here are great communicators and they are all very outgoing. They also happen to be very accomplished, which helps with being down-to-business. Tuck is also great with being down-to-earth but it's location doesn't even compare to Stern's if you want to be in the middle of the action.

Tips/techniques... Remember that the eyes that will be reviewing your application are very highly trained. Stern's admissions department is full of very dedicated individuals who read thousands of applications each year. Many of the schools use current students to do the first scan-through, but that's not the case with Stern. So an application that makes it to an interview in one school may fail at Stern because they notice something with your app that only a trained eye can catch (an inconsistency between the dates on your resume and the employment dates on your application, for example). Read and re-read the application. Then have someone else read and re-read it. My girlfriend caught so many mistakes of mine that I would never catch because I looked at the same document maybe 20 times and small mistakes become invisible after a certain point.

Also the creative essay is very important. Keep it original but short. Tell a story of who you are, and not what you think they want to hear. Once you write it, ask it to yourselves "could someone else have written this?" If the answer is yes, you probably didn't catch the most important aspect of the essay... It has to be unique to YOU.

2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Accounting
GMAT 1: 760 Q43 V50
GPA: 3.54
WE: Accounting (Investment Banking)

Kudos [?]: 10 [2] , given: 0

Re: Stern 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2012, 12:32
This post received
KUDOS
Got the email today. Got in too!!! Very excited and will see some of you in the fall.

Interviewed on Friday so was surprised to hear back so soon.

Now just got to find a way of getting a loan without a co-signer :?
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: NYU Stern - Class of 2013
WE 1: Nonprofit / international development (4 years)
WE 2: Consulting internship - MBB

Kudos [?]: 20 [1] , given: 12

Re: Calling all NYU Stern Fall 2012 Applicants [#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2011, 11:47
This post received
KUDOS
This is the microsite for our 2-week pre-term, called Launch 2011:
http://launch.stern.nyu.edu/

There's a schedule on there for the two weeks and bios of the various speakers. It's been really interesting and a lot of fun - with a surprisingly large focus on social impact and innovation. My favourite speaker was probably Cory Booker, Mayor of Newark, New Jersey, who was very inspiring. The social events have also been great - all the usual happy hours plus a very grand dinner on Ellis Island (Stern basically arranged exclusive access to the whole place for an evening), via a close-up of the Statue of Liberty. I think we're going to the US Open tennis next week, among other things.

Here's a brief summary video from Day 1 of Launch:
http://vimeo.com/28073186

Day 2 is there as well and I'm sure more will be cropping up on that channel over the coming days. There have been a lot of video cameras around the place so I know they have a lot of footage to choose from!

Not connected to Launch, but I also came across this recently:
http://sternalumni.nyu.edu/s/1068/Group ... &pgid=2371

It's a link to an alumni event held in London, England earlier this summer. There are some good videos on there, including a very interesting (and surprisingly funny) speech by Gordon Brown, former Chancellor and Prime Minister of the UK and now NYU's inaugural 'distinguished global leader in residence'.

Hope some of this is interesting for those considering applying to Stern!
1 KUDOS received
Concentration: Marketing, Other
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GMAT 2: 660 Q V
GPA: 3.64
WE: Accounting (Accounting)

Kudos [?]: 65 [1] , given: 76950

CAT Tests
Re: Stern 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2011, 18:34
This post received
KUDOS
I received my acceptance letter today for part-time!
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: NYU Stern - Class of 2013
WE 1: Nonprofit / international development (4 years)
WE 2: Consulting internship - MBB

Kudos [?]: 20 [1] , given: 12

Re: Stern 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2011, 19:13
This post received
KUDOS
MCE7 wrote:
jesterov wrote:
I received my acceptance letter today for part-time!

Congrats!
I actually visited Stern for the first time today and loved it!

The visit actually made all the difference for me. The place has a real buzz to it.

Just to let people know, one of Stern's professors was awarded the Nobel Prize in Economics this week. Everyone's pretty pleased as that's now 3 current Stern faculty with Nobel Prizes (the other two are Robert Engle and Michael Spence):

http://www.stern.nyu.edu/experience-ste ... ze-release

It's a very strong faculty at the moment, particularly for economics and finance. These names are probably worth dropping in your application (and/or Damodaran, Silber, Okun, some others), to show you're up to date with what's happening.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 42 [1] , given: 16

GMAT Tests User
Re: Stern 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Nov 2011, 19:01
This post received
KUDOS
thehusain wrote:
cwhs wrote:
Great! Make sure you visit the school, contact current students to get their perspectives, and do your homework. It'll pay dividends when it comes to essays. This is true for any school, but Stern will take notice if you've taken your time to learn about the school, and know why it's special for you.

Hi cwhs,

I am working in Mumbai, India. There was an event by Stern admissions team in Mumbai but I was out of town for work and hence could not attend that event. Also, I've searched the website for options to connect with alumni but haven't found any such option. Within my contacts, I don't know anyone who has attended Stern or knows someone who has attended Stern. I've read many student blogs and other websites (including gmatclub) for information on Stern. Will this be sufficient for essay 2? Can I contact you to learn some more about Stern?

Thanks

Did you try to reach out to the student ambassadors? They are there to help out with your questions.

http://www.stern.nyu.edu/programs-admis ... /index.htm

I am perfectly okay with answering your questions too but if you go through them it is enough proof that you've done your work. If you rather reach out to me instead, send me a private message and ask your questions.

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Affiliations: LEAD Program in Business, NSHMBA, NBMBAA
Concentration: General Management
Schools: Dartmouth (Tuck) - Class of 2014
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 44 [1] , given: 77

GMAT Tests User
Re: Stern 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2011, 09:45
This post received
KUDOS
Hi Stern applicants! FYI if you're applying to Stern through the Consortium Graduate Study in Management (CGSM), hop over to the Consortium 2012 Forum and Update Your Profile to reflect that you are applying through the Consortium.

It's simple. Just select your school as "Consortium, the", then indicate which specific institution(s) you'll be applying to and the Consortium round you'll be applying in. You can do all of this easily through the handy 'Add to Your Schools' link on the front page of the Consortium 2012 Forum.

We have a special analytics specifically for those candidates applying via Consortium and lots of useful tips for your application and assessment of your candidacy.

Cheers!

My Blog - Road to the MBA Class of 2014

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 10 [1] , given: 0

Re: Stern 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2011, 11:07
This post received
KUDOS
Yes! Email received 11am NY time.

Only seem to be times available in December though, which is going to be a struggle to get to NY from Europe for. What with work etc.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: Tuck '16 (M)
GMAT 1: Q V

Kudos [?]: 14 [1] , given: 5

Re: Stern 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 15 Dec 2011, 13:58
This post received
KUDOS
The app was sent over about 3 days after the 11/15 deadline, confirmation from Stern came at the end of November.

Posted from my mobile device Image
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: Stern '14 (A)

Kudos [?]: 6 [1] , given: 0

Re: Stern 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Dec 2011, 19:08
This post received
KUDOS
Admitted to NYU Stern! Woo hoo! :lol:
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 26 [1] , given: 1

Re: Stern 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 23 Dec 2011, 08:51
This post received
KUDOS
Happy holidays, everyone! The good news, invites, admits, or whatever it is, is just around the corner! Cheers for 2012 and class of 2014!
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Real Estate, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V42
GPA: 3.33
WE: General Management (Real Estate)

Kudos [?]: 11 [1] , given: 10

Re: Stern 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 05 Jan 2012, 16:08
This post received
KUDOS
Had my interview today. Very casual and easy going! Same types of questions that everyone else had.First question was about current ec's. Why Mba, Why now, 3 reasons why Stern? Walk me through your resume. Why entrepreneurship (I have my own business)?That was about it, plus a free tshirt.

Posted from my mobile device Image
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 680 Q46 V38
GMAT 2: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.03
WE: Consulting (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 9 [1] , given: 0

Re: Stern 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 09 Jan 2012, 12:13
This post received
KUDOS
just got admitted! pretty excited but it turns out that no cosigner loans are only for Indian and Belgian students. the financial aid page on the regular website makes it reads as if there is one program dedicated only to Indian students but there is another for students from other countries...
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.41
WE: Consulting (Consumer Products)

Kudos [?]: 6 [1] , given: 3

Re: Stern 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2012, 13:34
This post received
KUDOS
Received my interview invite on December 19th having submitted my app on November 15th at 11.50 pm. Interview scheduled for next Thursday. Any tips??
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 10 [1] , given: 0

Re: Stern 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 11 Jan 2012, 03:21
This post received
KUDOS
Phoebrooks415 wrote:
Received my interview invite on December 19th having submitted my app on November 15th at 11.50 pm. Interview scheduled for next Thursday. Any tips??

I thought I was too candid during my interview but it seems like everything worked out ok.

I think they really are interested in "fit" during these interviews so show you know why you want to go to Stern in detail. For example have a list of a a few classes or activities that Stern offers that really appeal to you and why.

But really I'd advise being honest and trying to explain coherently why you would want to go to Stern.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 0

Re: Stern 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 13 Jan 2012, 10:19
This post received
KUDOS
2 months and I still haven't heard a peep about my application. At this point my sense is that they've gone through their interviews, acceptances, waitlists, and rejections for the round 1 applicants who they know for sure how to stack up. For applicants in their grey zone, I think we'll be judged against the Round 2 apps flooding in this weekend, before a decision is made. That's why they probably have that 1 month overlap between Round 2 deadline (jan 15) and Round 1 notification (feb 15). Essentially we've been "deferred" to Round 2. I might be completely off here but logically it seems to make the most sense....I wish these schools would be a bit more open about their application process.
Re: Stern 2012 - Calling All Applicants   [#permalink] 13 Jan 2012, 10:19