Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Dec 2014, 22:52

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all Olin(WUSTL) Applicants(2015 Intake)Class of 2017

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Expert Post
Affiliations: GMAT Club
City: Pune
GPA: 3.4
WE: Business Development (Manufacturing)
Followers: 178

Kudos [?]: 1137 [0], given: 1045

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Calling all Olin(WUSTL) Applicants(2015 Intake)Class of 2017 [#permalink] New post 08 Jul 2014, 11:38
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED

Be the coolest guy in the MBA Forum - Be a threadmaster!

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

All MBA Resources All 'Sticky' Topics at one place

Please share your profiles for this application season: 2015 Profiles w/ Admit/Dings Results!

Next Generation GMATClub CATS with Brilliant Analytics.

Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
3 KUDOS received
Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 72

Kudos [?]: 756 [3] , given: 116

Premium Member
Calling all Olin(WUSTL) Applicants(2015 Intake)Class of 2017 [#permalink] New post 08 Jul 2014, 11:39
This post received
KUDOS

Olin FAQ (maintained by all Current Students)

1) Who would be an ideal applicant to your program based on admissions, culture, and the program in general? (still working a bit on this question, so feel free to answer a different one).
2) GPA, GMAT, Application Essays, Interview, Work Experience, and Extra Curricular. If you asked to arrange these parameters in the order of their importance at Yale – what would it be?
3) What advantage, if any, is there in applying in a specific round over another?
4) Are the on-campus and off-campus interviews treated equally or there is any preference to one over other?
5) Do you recommend a school visit? Is it a must?
6) How important is the school visit for an applicant?? Does that really play any role in strengthening application?
7) Can you comment on the Employment process of the school? What support do students get from Career Services dept, peers, and alumni?
8) Which companies (and from which sectors) generally recruit in the school? How strong school’s alumni network is?
9) Which student clubs or groups are in the school? What social and philanthropic opportunities and opportunities to get involved in leadership roles one can get in these groups?
10) Is there anything related to Financial Aid worth a mention?
11) Can you think of a few good and bad reasons for applicants to reach out to current students? Eps. Before submitting an application?

Did you find this post helpful?... Please let me know through the Kudos button.

Thanks To The Almighty - My GMAT Debrief

GMAT Reading Comprehension: 7 Most Common Passage Types

5 KUDOS received
Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 72

Kudos [?]: 756 [5] , given: 116

Premium Member
Re: Calling all Olin(WUSTL) Applicants(2015 Intake)Class of 2017 [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2014, 08:26
This post received
KUDOS
Hi Guys.,

I'll try my best to answer these questions.. Although, my answers are subjected and only my point of view..
1) Who would be an ideal applicant to your program based on admissions, culture, and the program in general? (still working a bit on this question, so feel free to answer a different one).
The atmosphere here is very collaborative and laid back... Much like the city itself... Shorts and t-shirt is the usual dress code you see on campus from undergrads to phd students... To be honest, there is no "ideal" applicant.. There are a lot of people from a lot of backgrounds... Maybe on a broader perspective, I would say that someone who does well in a team environment will do well at Olin..

2) GPA, GMAT, Application Essays, Interview, Work Experience, and Extra Curricular. If you asked to arrange these parameters in the order of their importance – what would it be?
Not just Olin, but imo for all schools, it would be something like this..
i) Essays+Work Experience(I'm guessing this also includes Resume) (I make this one because I think they are complementary.. If you dont have great work experiences you cannot write great essays and similarly even if you have great work experiences you have to convey them properly through your essays)
ii) Interview
iii) GMAT
iv) Extra Curriculars
v)GPA

3) What advantage, if any, is there in applying in a specific round over another?

I can say this.. There is no advantage in submitting a hurried application just for the sake of submitting it in a certain round.. That being said.. I don think there is much of a difference between applying in Rounds up to January-February.. People applying at the later rounds might be having a slight disadvantage..

4) Are the on-campus and off-campus interviews treated equally or there is any preference to one over other?

I should say Yes. On Campus, Off Campus, Skype all of them are treated equally.. Which you should do is maybe more of a matter concerned with the next 2 questions
5) Do you recommend a school visit? Is it a must?
6) How important is the school visit for an applicant?? Does that really play any role in strengthening application?

5) & 6) Do schools look at an application more favorably just because he/she has visited campus? I would say no... That would make the application process unfair to the internationals (especially for people half way across the world).. However, if the question is Would visiting the campus help me make a better case for myself in my application? Depends on how you use your school visit.. A fully utilized visit could help you get to know the school, the university and St. Louis as a whole. (St. Louis really is not as bad as the internet makes it sound.. The areas around the university are mostly under the university and are actually quite safe)

7) Can you comment on the Employment process of the school? What support do students get from Career Services dept, peers, and alumni?

The career center will support you but it is you who has to get the internship/job.. They help with your resume, cover letter, networking skills etc.. They also organize the "Meet The Firms" events which is when firms visit campus and the students get to network with the representatives from the firms.

8) Which companies (and from which sectors) generally recruit in the school? How strong school’s alumni network is?

Some of the biggest names you hear at Olin are AB-Inbev, Nestle Purina, Emerson, Boeing, Deloitte, and ATK.. We are also expecting to be having Accenture and E&Y on campus this year..

9) Which student clubs or groups are in the school? What social and philanthropic opportunities and opportunities to get involved in leadership roles one can get in these groups?

I think the official page can give much better answers than I can for this questions.. http://www.olin.wustl.edu/EN-US/academi ... tions.aspx

10) Is there anything related to Financial Aid worth a mention?

Olin is actually quite generous with scholarships.. I think about 40% of the class gets scholarships of one form or the other... You are also given an option to pay your fees over an extended period (even over 10 months) rather than at a timeAlso, for international students, they offer non-US co signor loans..

11) Can you think of a few good and bad reasons for applicants to reach out to current students? Eps. Before submitting an application?

I dont really see any bad reasons.. A good idea is to seek out students who are members in the club related to the area you are interested in.. eg: Consulting Club, Finance Club,Marketing Club etc... They will be able to give you a good idea of what you can expect at the school while pursuing your desired career interest

Did you find this post helpful?... Please let me know through the Kudos button.

Thanks To The Almighty - My GMAT Debrief

GMAT Reading Comprehension: 7 Most Common Passage Types

3 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, International Business
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: Q V
GPA: 3
WE: Corporate Finance (Commercial Banking)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 19 [3] , given: 15

Re: Calling all Olin(WUSTL) Applicants(2015 Intake)Class of 2017 [#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2014, 17:55
This post received
KUDOS
Received an interview invite today! good luck everybody!
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GMAT 2: 740 Q51 V38

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Olin(WUSTL) Applicants(2015 Intake)Class of 2017 [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2014, 04:30
When did you submit the application?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 15

Re: Calling all Olin(WUSTL) Applicants(2015 Intake)Class of 2017 [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2014, 06:04
Sep 15th
McCombs Thread Master
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
GPA: 3.75
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 24

Re: Calling all Olin(WUSTL) Applicants(2015 Intake)Class of 2017 [#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2014, 07:47
Application submitted. Fingers crossed

My GMAT debrief

greatness is not about possessing talent but about having the discipline to summon that talent whenever needed!!!

Please Kudos my post if it helped you!!

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Healthcare, Marketing
GPA: 3.7
WE: Engineering (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

Re: Calling all Olin(WUSTL) Applicants(2015 Intake)Class of 2017 [#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2014, 13:04
Submitted for R1!!
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37

Re: Calling all Olin(WUSTL) Applicants(2015 Intake)Class of 2017 [#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2014, 18:46
Submitted application for R1.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Olin(WUSTL) Applicants(2015 Intake)Class of 2017 [#permalink] New post 02 Oct 2014, 00:58
Submitted for R1. lets see when the iview invite comes. keep us posted with any updates
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 19 [1] , given: 15

Re: Calling all Olin(WUSTL) Applicants(2015 Intake)Class of 2017 [#permalink] New post 02 Oct 2014, 14:29
This post received
KUDOS
did my interview today. It was with an adcom member...
She said I'd expect to hear back from them in a couple of days...
lets see whats gonna happen!
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling all Olin(WUSTL) Applicants(2015 Intake)Class of 2017 [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2014, 00:51
This post received
KUDOS
Good luck :)
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 2

Re: Calling all Olin(WUSTL) Applicants(2015 Intake)Class of 2017 [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2014, 09:58
talhasheikh wrote:

All the best for your results! Please do share your interview experience whenever you have time!
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 19 [1] , given: 15

Re: Calling all Olin(WUSTL) Applicants(2015 Intake)Class of 2017 [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2014, 15:25
This post received
KUDOS
geet29 wrote:
talhasheikh wrote:

All the best for your results! Please do share your interview experience whenever you have time!

Just 31 minutes of standard questions...
Why MBA, Why Olin, Leadership style, hobbies, Extracurricular, walk me thru your resume and so on...
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 620 Q43 V33

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 3

Re: Calling all Olin(WUSTL) Applicants(2015 Intake)Class of 2017 [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2014, 11:28
geet29 wrote:
talhasheikh wrote:

I interviewed last week as well. The member of adcom asked the basic questions (Why MBA, Why Olin, hobbies, leadership), but also asked me one question that took me by surprise: "if you could change one thing about undergrad, what would it be?"
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V38
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
WE: Operations (Energy and Utilities)

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 20

Re: Calling all Olin(WUSTL) Applicants(2015 Intake)Class of 2017 [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2014, 11:58
Hi All,

I also submitted my application on 1st Oct 14. Can anyone please suggest by when we can expect to hear from the adcom? Since the time I sumbitted my application I have not received any mail from Olin stating the completeness of my application. So, is it a reason to worry? Has anyone received any notification from Olin.

Thanks for your help
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling all Olin(WUSTL) Applicants(2015 Intake)Class of 2017 [#permalink] New post 06 Oct 2014, 05:47
Even i Submitted on 30th September. My application status still says submitted. Any change in the status for you guys?
Manager
Manager

Re: Calling all Olin(WUSTL) Applicants(2015 Intake)Class of 2017 [#permalink] New post 06 Oct 2014, 08:51
harsha456 wrote:
Even i Submitted on 30th September. My application status still says submitted. Any change in the status for you guys?

fyi... I have already interviewed and my status still saying "submitted".

They are probably not updating the online...
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling all Olin(WUSTL) Applicants(2015 Intake)Class of 2017 [#permalink] New post 06 Oct 2014, 09:54
Oh probably they are not updating it online..thanks for the update tiagofsa10
Manager
Manager

Re: Calling all Olin(WUSTL) Applicants(2015 Intake)Class of 2017 [#permalink] New post 06 Oct 2014, 15:37
harsha456 wrote:
Oh probably they are not updating it online..thanks for the update tiagofsa10

they have updated - IN REVIEW WITH ADMISSIONS COMMITTEE
Re: Calling all Olin(WUSTL) Applicants(2015 Intake)Class of 2017   [#permalink] 06 Oct 2014, 15:37